Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Upgrading a big-box store bike?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-19, 05:50 PM
Jusplainjesse

Bikes: 1971 Raleigh Record (fixed gear conversion)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Before I really got into cycling, I bought a schwinn OR2 hybrid bike from Target. It became my daily commuter bike until I converted my fixed gear. The Schwinn has honestly treated me well, and I'm wondering what you guys think about upgrading components to make it more "high end". The bike is mainly used for bad weather commuting or leisurely rides on the bike path, but as expected, the stock components are starting to wear. Would it be worth it to upgrade components (BB, cranks, chaining, etc.), or am I completely wasting my time on a dud?
Old 04-26-19, 07:18 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Welcome! What is starting to wear out? I don't see anything wrong with replacing the components with better ones if you're replacing them anyway. There's not much price difference between a $15 Tourney derailleur and a $20 Acera derailleur, and the Acera one will work a lot better. But I probably wouldn't upgrade it for the sake of upgrading it. There are a lot of things on the bike that would need changing to make the whole system nicer, and you'd quickly overrun the value of the bike doing it that way.

If you can get parts for free off donor bikes or other sources, then you're only out your time, so sure... But if you have to buy parts, I'd probably not do it. In fact, even to repair broken parts, some stuff bought new may be a debatable value (like a BB/crank combo -- could be $60-80 bucks, which is more than you could sell the bike for).
Old 04-26-19, 07:25 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
If the cost to upgrade and restore exceeds the price you would pay for a replacement bike in similar (after restoration) condition, the expenditures are based on sentiment rather than practicalities.

On a low end bike you may be throwing away money that could be applied to a used but higher end bike in decent condition. There are good values out there on used hybrids, available to patient and persistent seekers.
Old 04-26-19, 08:50 PM
Jusplainjesse

Bikes: 1971 Raleigh Record (fixed gear conversion)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You both make really good points. As far as resale value goes, I'm not really too worried about that. I like working on bikes, and I get a lot of enjoyment out of spending a bit on one component and installing it on the bike. As it stands right now, the bottom bracket is starting to be....clunky (if that makes any sense) and I've noticed a few missing teeth on the middle chanring, so I was thinking a new BB, new crank with a single chainring, removing the front derailleur, and replacing the fork with a non-suspension fork, because that's a whole lot of weight and wasted energy since I never really ride off road. Basically, I'm mostly curious about whether I could eventually end up with a decent bike built around that frameset (and maybe a culmination of eventually replacing the frameset, therefore having a completely new bike)
Old 04-26-19, 09:51 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Well, there is absolytely nothing wrong with replacing worn components. A good percentage of bikes never get used enough to get to that point. I'd say you are getting your moneys worth as it is. It only seems right to do right by the faithful steed.

A thing here, a thing there. Soon you'll have a new bike. The bike of Theseus we call it here on Bike Forums.

For the forks especially, but for other stuff too, search out your local bike co-op. You will be doing them a favor helping their mission, & in return they can supply you with tons of knowledge, know-how & experience, inexpensive but perfectly servicable components.
Old 04-27-19, 11:01 PM
EGBigelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
I say go for it. To use a term to describe a house, as long as the "bones" are good then why not. You obviously like the bike, and it treated you well so why not show it some love. Just give yourself a cutoff, say $100 for example, and try to stay within that. eBay is a great place to source used parts for cheap.

I like your idea of converting it to a one by too. Makes it simpler and saves a bit of weight.

You've probably seen this mentioned somewhere on this forum, but check out KevCentral on YouTube. He has upgraded a couple WalMart bikes with good results.

There's also another forum dedicated to department store bikes called bigboxbikes.com that you can check out. A lot of members there are into upgrading department store bikes.

Post some before/after pics!
Old 04-28-19, 07:09 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by Jusplainjesse
and I've noticed a few missing teeth on the middle chanring
Hi. These are probably cutaways to aid shifting. If your bike has steel chainrings, they will likely last forever.
Old 04-28-19, 07:45 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Chevk out kevcentral on youtube. He tests and upgrades big box bikes.

Uprades to contact points are an investment, not a cost. Those you can reuse on a newer or better bike.

As far as other hardware, replace as needed. Maybe make a list of all upgrades to see what the total is. We all made the slippery slope of one upgrade, then another, then one more... and in the end a new bike would have been cheaper.

Also chose parts wisely to either reuse on a better bike or leave with that bike. Keep the takeoffs so you can sell that big box bike later on and transfer the good parts to a new bike.