Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

ACA Atlantic Coast Accommodations

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-19, 06:20 PM
blowboat

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Question for anyone who has done the ACA Atlantic Coast route, or at least the Wilmington, NC to Richmond, VA section. I'm beginning to play around, and think, on a trip from the Wilmington area, or a little more north, to Williamsburg, VA where my daughter and her family live. Before I purchase the map (which I will if I decide to do the trip) for that section, I'm curious about lodging options...particularly camping options. Does their map offer adequate options or are camping options rather sparse in that section?
Old 05-06-19, 07:54 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
If you have a general idea of the route and don't get any answers, you can search Google Maps for "Campgrounds near [name of town along route.]" Zoom in and out to widen the search area. Dry it with Brices Creek, NC. Lot's of results on or reasonably close to the route.
Old 05-06-19, 09:26 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
If you contact chambers of commerce /TIC , for the towns you will pass through,
they can offer the contact info for B&B, & hotel/motel rooms in their membership base..

Go to the source? ACA has a telephone , in Missoula Montana, office.

Old 05-07-19, 06:34 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
We are hosting two touring cyclists who came up to Maryland from Florida but chose the East Coast Greenway route over the ACA route. They are only camping as a last resort, but found that the ECG gave them more options each night with the mileage they wanted to do each day.

You can see their journal on CycleBlaze here. You can see the East Coast Greenway online map and info here.
Old 05-07-19, 05:22 PM
blowboat

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the link to your guests Cycle Blaze journal, I had actually started reading it the other day...and then work got crazy! I had also started mapping a route using the ECG, but there was a glitch with their mapping tool that they have since fixed. So, I'll get back to their journal, look some more at the ECG, as well as do some more searching for camp sites along the way!