Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Durable shoe covers.

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Durable shoe covers.

Old 12-20-13, 11:18 AM
Pynchonite

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Epic Comp Carbon, 1989 Cannondale ST-400, forthcoming SaltAir Cycles Gravel Bike :D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Durable shoe covers.

Do they exist? I bought a pair of Pearl Izumi WxB covers last season and - granted - they bore daily use all last winter, but I went to put them on a few weeks ago and lo! they're falling apart. Toe strap's frayed to oblivion, the bead along the bottom of the cover has separated from the neoprene on the other one. I put them through hell, because I don't have dedicated winter mtb boots (or boots for that matter), but I was wondering if anyone had had good luck with covers that could stand up to a true day-in/out beating. Also, anyone tried to repair their covers? Thanks!

Last edited by Pynchonite; 12-20-13 at 11:19 AM. Reason: b/c I didn't read what I'd written...
Old 12-21-13, 05:44 AM
Chief Brody

Bikes: '12 Felt F75X, '11 Scott CX Team, '08 Specialized Singlecross

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been looking for a replacement pair for my neoprene booties that are starting to show their age. I think I have settled on these. These look to be the most durable ones out there. If I end up picking them up, I'll be sure to post a review.
Old 12-30-13, 04:53 PM
Stomper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chief Brody
I've been looking for a replacement pair for my neoprene booties that are starting to show their age. I think I have settled on these. These look to be the most durable ones out there. If I end up picking them up, I'll be sure to post a review.
Please use a link that works.
Old 12-30-13, 04:55 PM
Stomper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pynchonite
Do they exist? I bought a pair of Pearl Izumi WxB covers last season and - granted - they bore daily use all last winter, but I went to put them on a few weeks ago and lo! they're falling apart. Toe strap's frayed to oblivion, the bead along the bottom of the cover has separated from the neoprene on the other one. I put them through hell, because I don't have dedicated winter mtb boots (or boots for that matter), but I was wondering if anyone had had good luck with covers that could stand up to a true day-in/out beating. Also, anyone tried to repair their covers? Thanks!
I recently purchased a pair of Endura overshoes because they seemed to be sturdier than the Pearl Izumi ones in the store. Thus far, I am very very happy with them.
Old 12-30-13, 05:39 PM
Pynchonite

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Epic Comp Carbon, 1989 Cannondale ST-400, forthcoming SaltAir Cycles Gravel Bike :D

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Stomper
I recently purchased a pair of Endura overshoes because they seemed to be sturdier than the Pearl Izumi ones in the store. Thus far, I am very very happy with them.
You'll have to let me know how they work out. These are falling apart.
Old 12-31-13, 05:50 AM
Chief Brody

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stomper
Please use a link that works.
The link should have been to a pair of BBB ArcticDuty covers.

https://www.wiggle.com/bbb-arcticduty-shoe-cover/
Old 01-03-14, 02:06 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…One other comment, especially when suggesting various solutions for winter riding problems. I often recommend on such threads that the poster define their riding conditions, especially distance, as well as temperature to better evaluate the experience…
This past Monday (12/30/13) I did my 14 mile commute at about 15°F and tried a new set of foot coverings that IMO that kept my feet significantly warmer than usual. In the past I had bought a pair of neon green shoe covers made by Gore-Tex, for wet riding. During the winter, I use platform pedals with toeclips, and my usual footwear is thin and thick socks, running shoes and Totes rubber overshoes. I use plastic bags over my running shoes to put on the Totes more easily (see the sequence below).

So with the additional Gore-Tex shoe coverings at 15ºF, I did not perceive cold until about mile 10, and I did not feel cold in the sense of permeating the soft tissues of my foot until about mile 12, but it was tolerable. At about mile 12 I have a downhill run of several hundred yards that irreversibly drains the heat from my extremities. The next day at 21ºF, I rode without the Goretex, and started feeling cold at about mile 9 and finished significantly colder at my mile 14 destination than the day before.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0460.jpg (79.4 KB, 985 views)
DSCN0459.jpg (71.1 KB, 975 views)
DSCN0458.jpg (47.6 KB, 968 views)

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-29-14 at 05:40 AM.
Old 01-06-14, 03:13 PM
El Cid

Bikes: Surly Krampus

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a pair of Touring Shoe Covers I ordered a few months back. With these on, even a pair of pretty ordinary boots will keep my feet warm and dry, and so far they've stood up to daily use.

I haven't owned them long enough to say if they'll last over the long haul, but so far they are in good shape.
Old 01-06-14, 06:39 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I got a pair of PI Reinforced Super rugged Wetsuit material ones , they beefed up toe and the sole portion
between hole for the Cleat and the heel of your MTB shoes .. hung them on a peg at the LBS , so let me know , PM

maybe the shop camera can do a snap, then..
Old 01-06-14, 08:29 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
The link should have been to a pair of BBB ArcticDuty covers.

https://www.wiggle.com/bbb-arcticduty-shoe-cover/
These look warm and durable and have several positive reviews. I went ahead and ordered a pair. I'll review these later this month. I ride in winter and would like to find a large cover.

Below is what I used last winter. If I can use both an inner and outer cover along with wool socks and a fleece footbed, I should be good down to 20F.

When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-06-14 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-07-14, 05:41 PM
El Cid

Bikes: Surly Krampus

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well its official. The shoe covers I bought in late November are falling apart. The soles are tearing up from wear against my pedals, and the zippers on the back are going. They still keep my feet warm and waterproof, but I expected them to last longer than just a couple months. Those arcticduty covers posted above look really promising, so I'm going to take a chance and order them.
Old 03-09-14, 04:45 PM
Chief Brody

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I went ahead and ordered a pair. I'll review these later this month.
Barrett - How'd the BBB shoe covers work out?
Old 03-09-14, 05:16 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Barrett - How'd the BBB shoe covers work out?
Good, these are the warmest and most weather resistant covers I've used. They are also large enough to fit a thinner cover under this cover and over my cycling boot. They are heavy looking and not the easiest to remove.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 03-09-14, 05:37 PM
Chief Brody

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. What size did you get an what shoes/size are you wearing these with?
Old 03-09-14, 09:33 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Main thing is to try not to walk in shoe covers. They're not made for it. If you want to be able to walk, buy winter MTB boots, Lakes or Northwave, something like that.
Old 03-10-14, 04:27 AM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
My LG neoprene covers held up well all last fall (cold and wet through Oct/Nov) and this winter. No significant damage and limited wear not affecting performance. +1 on Carbonfiberboy's comment about not walking around in them, especially on gravel. I think some people buy them too small and then overstretch them. If they are hard to put on, get the next bigger size.

I should note that during the very coldest weather, I switch to insulated, waterproof/windproof hiking boots and don't clip in, so my covers might not get some of the mid-winter beating others may.
Old 03-11-14, 03:54 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
the fleeced Neoprene ones I mentioned above would be fine, they actually cut out the heel and sole
around the cleat mount have a Toe and across the arch of sturdy rubber like a shoe sole.
Old 03-24-14, 05:57 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
I bought actual winter shoes. Good investment. I can still add booties for really cold days.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 03-24-14, 09:09 PM
Lanovran

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I used Bontrager's waterproof RXL softshell shoe covers all winter long for daily commuting, and the only issue I ever had was that a few of the little reflective bits on the backs of them fell off in the wash. The covers themselves have held up terrifically, with no holes, tears, or anything like that. They're really warm, too!