Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

May give up and surrender tomorrow...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-14, 07:46 PM
NOS88

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

We got eight inches of wet snow today. There is a slush base to it that will freeze solid tonight in the 10 to 14 degree F temps. Snow plows have only hit about half the roads I use. Additionally, the two townships I travel have little salt left as a result of previous storms. So, I may have to surrender and stay home tomorrow. This will be the first day this winter I won't be able to commute by bike. I know, I should stop whining and get over it.
Old 02-03-14, 08:49 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
when I was a teenager, I had a 10 mile commute with no backup plan. One time, there was four inches of snow with rain on top. I took my entire planned commute time to get 1/10 of my commute. Fortunately, someone gave me a ride. Rode home though. Some conditions just can't be ridden in.
Old 02-03-14, 09:12 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
I know, I should stop whining and get over it.
Yeah, no-one likes a whiner.

After a perfect record of 1596 consecutive workdays bike commuing round-trip (seven years, five months), I missed a ride home in December due to snow, turned around and called-in one day in January due to snow, then had a mechanical that kept me off the bike for two days.

Excrement happens.
Old 02-03-14, 09:16 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Catch a virus quick, sick days don't count on your commuting calendar
Old 02-03-14, 09:47 PM
vol

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
After a perfect record of 1596 consecutive workdays bike commuing round-trip (seven years, five months), I missed a ride home in December due to snow, turned around and called-in one day in January due to snow, then had a mechanical that kept me off the bike for two days.
So sorry to hear your record ended . 7+ years is still too awesome to have a match! Just shows how extraordinary this winter is. (Regrettably that doesn't mean this summer will not be hot)
Old 02-03-14, 09:56 PM
mtbikerinpa
Shimano Certified

Bikes: 92 Giant Sedona ATX Custom

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I used to say it was the plows that scared me on a snow-commute, but the closest I ever came to getting picked off was by an retracted wing-plow on a 60 deg sunny day while I was on a wide shoulder. If the road is not too deep and you have good lights its not out of the question to go with it. Of course if you have a coworker favor you could call in for a ride that would aleviate the issue

7 yrs in a row... That is a record that makes me jealous None of my bike commute range jobs have lasted more than a year or two in a row to do that... Grr.
Old 02-03-14, 11:25 PM
Jiggle

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
Yeah, no-one likes a whiner.

Excrement happens.
Impressive.
Old 02-04-14, 08:49 AM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't feel too bad. I've only ridden 3 times this year because of this weather. It's either too snowy, too icy, or just too cold.
Old 02-04-14, 10:02 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
tsl is the bad-ass-est bike commuter on this forum!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-04-14, 12:12 PM
therunt

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Allez comp, 2011 Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
We don't get snow here in Bakersfield, CA very often (in fact there hasn't been snow on the streets since Jan '99), but reading this post just gave me a thought that may help those of you who do have to deal with snow/ice. Maybe it's a dumb idea, that could never work on a practical level, and maybe they already exist, but imagine something like a peddle powered snow mobile. In my head I'm seeing it as having a beefy mountain bike frame, the rear tire would be a fat tire with 1/2" metal studs as well rubber knobs for traction, the front forks will drop down to two short ski like planks that are attached with large ball sockets (which will allow the user to make corners a little easier), the gearing on the cranks will be low enough to allow the rider to more easily propel the bike, and possibly there could even be an electronic assist with variable assist levels. Again I'm not really sure how practical this would be, just a crazy idea.
Old 02-04-14, 12:41 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I rode to work (to the train station, that is) yesterday morning; it was raining. Not much fun but no problem. But when my train got to the city, it was snow; not so much fun either, being a heavy wet snow. Rode the citibike to my office, not bad. But it was really coming down! Left early, citibike again, got to the NJ station where there was so much snow (6-7") I could barely get my locker open. Riding wasn't too bad! Wished for thicker tires (I have 32 mm's). Bike was a mess!

Getting to the station today wasn't bad, surprisingly, though a little slow. Missed the express, caught the local and a lot of sleep. But I'm leaving early again today, and tomorrow looks like I'll be staying home. Gonna be a sloppy one.
Old 02-04-14, 05:27 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Snow plows have only hit about half the roads I use. Additionally, the two townships I travel have little salt left as a result of previous storms.
They're slacking,at least Telford and Souderton always did a good job when I was growing up.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 02-04-14, 05:55 PM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
Excrement happens.

I will remember that one
Old 02-04-14, 06:10 PM
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Commuting in PA without the snow is something to be proud of With, you deserve a medal!
When I lived in Vermont I tried to ride year 'round. Through some CRAZY snow and winter muck regularly.
There used to be thread in this forum about "extreme commuting" or something like that, we would retell our exploits in.
After a moment of clarity, I said "enough is enough" Im not a martyr Sometimes my Wife gives me a ride in.
Sometimes I ride my lil peewee scooter, Its Ok I tell myself
Old 02-04-14, 07:07 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
He meets the definition:

Originally Posted by The Velominati
Rule #9
If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Fair-weather riding is a luxury reserved for Sunday afternoons and wide boulevards. Those who ride in foul weather – be it cold, wet, or inordinately hot – are members of a special club of riders who, on the morning of a big ride, pull back the curtain to check the weather and, upon seeing rain falling from the skies, allow a wry smile to spread across their face. This is a rider who loves the work.
Old 02-04-14, 07:15 PM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by mtbikerinpa
I used to say it was the plows that scared me on a snow-commute, but the closest I ever came to getting picked off was by an retracted wing-plow on a 60 deg sunny day while I was on a wide shoulder….
Here’s an excerpt about snowplows from a great winter-cycling treatise:

Originally Posted by buzzman
I have been riding a bike for transportation purposes in New England winters for almost 40 years now. A few things I've observed during that time:...

#4) In really bad conditions the only motorized vehicles on the road will be snowplows, emergency vehicles and people in cars who are too stupid to stay home. That means that the bicyclist must be prepared to take evasive maneuvers and ride with extreme caution when in the proximity of any motorized vehicle during the winter.

#5) Snowplow drivers are super dangerous. Don't mess with them. They have often been driving the plow in horrible conditions without sleep for 24-48 hours and are soused in coffee and possibly worse and they may not be able to discern whether your reflectorized vest and blinkie is an alien spacecraft landing or the beginning of a migraine headache but the last thing they'll expect it to be is a bicyclist...

#10) Winter cyclists are definitely marching to the beat of a different drummer.
On July 23, 2009, 10:46AM, DX Rider asked this question: How do you handle approaching snow plows?

Originally Posted by DX Rider
I was just curious how other people approach the situation...
Old 02-04-14, 08:48 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
He meets the definition:
And so do you.

In fact, many of us here are Rule #9 cyclists.

That said, I rather enjoyed the warmer temps (mid-20s) and clear dry roads the past two days. Rode the Litespeed today, blissfully unencumbered by fenders, panniers, winter cycling boots, or studded tires.

I rode the three-seasons commuter yesterday. I had to haul in the week's worth of work clothes and food. Then I hauled home the first of two shipments of bike parts for the parts bin. Four cassettes, six chains, several packs of bar tape, and I can't remember what else. Cables, housing, brake pads (disc and rim), pulley wheels, and whatnot will be ordered after the next paycheck.

All this due to Rule #9 cycling. Winter and rain are murder on drivetrain parts.
Old 02-04-14, 08:50 PM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
If it's bad tomorrow I will more than likely skip it .

I've managed to get through each storm so far this winter but got caught heading home late in one of them and grinding along in deep snow I broke my chain. I do carry a chain tool and set about to fixing it in the freezing cold- the temp was close to 10f and the pin on the chain tool snapped. All this happened about 3 miles into my commute and I ended up walking the 7+ miles the rest of the way.

Sometimes it's just better to wait it out and ride another day.
Old 02-04-14, 09:01 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
There aren't many tougher... save for this lady I know who has ridden pretty much every day for as long as I have known her in any kind of weather... and that has been 7-8 years.
Old 02-04-14, 09:28 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I'm curious as to why it is such a big deal to commute every single day.... I wonder if our obsessiveness turns some lurkers and occasional commuters off.

I ride when I want. I take the bus when weather is crappy.

Luckily that isn't too often.
Old 02-04-14, 11:02 PM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by gerv
I'm curious as to why it is such a big deal to commute every single day.... I wonder if our obsessiveness turns some lurkers and occasional commuters off...
I recently posted elsewhere:

…occasionally my wife gives me grief about riding in severe temperatures and says, “You only want to ride today, so you can write about it on Bike Forums.”

Originally Posted by sherbornpeddler
Headline: Warm Weather Rider Motivated by Brave Bundled Bikers!
Jim from B's wife's observation ought to be embroidered on one of those layers. You all are terrific, inventive and "cool".

…It is nice to roll. I do enjoy the hikes, snowshoeing and XC skiing but rolling is like an old friend. Thank you Brave Bundled Bikers.
He [tsl] meets the definition:

Originally Posted by tsl
And so do you.

In fact, many of us here are Rule #9 cyclists.
Hey, Thanks
Old 02-04-14, 11:18 PM
bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
We got eight inches of wet snow today. There is a slush base to it that will freeze solid tonight in the 10 to 14 degree F temps. Snow plows have only hit about half the roads I use. Additionally, the two townships I travel have little salt left as a result of previous storms. So, I may have to surrender and stay home tomorrow. This will be the first day this winter I won't be able to commute by bike. I know, I should stop whining and get over it.
I would have quit long before this. There is no shame in bowing down before nature's fury; live to commute another day.
Old 02-04-14, 11:30 PM
bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I ride when I want. I take the bus when weather is crappy.
The problem with this plan, at least in Seattle, is that if the weather's too crappy to ride in, the bus system, indeed the entire city, has long since become completely paralyzed.
Old 02-05-14, 04:23 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

I'm curious as to why it is such a big deal to commute every single day.... I wonder if our obsessiveness turns some lurkers and occasional commuters off.
I don't think obsessive is the right word. We don't think of automobile commuters as obsessive simply becasue they always drive their cars.

In fact, I'm no more committed to my preferred mode of transportation than the typical car owner.
Old 02-05-14, 06:11 AM
downwinded

Bikes: 2014 Trek Crossrip LTD, 2013 Raleigh Misceo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some people rise to a challenge and some do not.

Not trying to compare my short easy commute to anyone else. It was a challenge for me to begin. With just a few adjustments, I found out it was not hard at all. Even down to temps in the teens. Same thing with adverse conditions. With the right "tools" and some determination, its doable (sure not gonna say riding in sgl digits with bad road conditions is easy!). Some rise to the challenge. Others look at it as impossible before they have even tried.

I see the same thing in the workplace. "I don't know how to do that", "No one has shown me how" or "I've never done that before". It seems a lot of folks are not willing to tackle the task and figure out what needs to been done as they go along. Others embrace the challenge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.