Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Observations on Weight Loss

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Observations on Weight Loss

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-19, 10:05 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Gorrister
Its not a philosophical debate, believing that any derision of pleasure from food is “wrong” is a sign of an eating disorder, I’m not the first person to say it. There are plenty of pro cyclers who eat a small cup of ice cream or other such thing to satiate the physiological urge for that food based derision of pleasure. Deriving pleasure from food is normal and essential to our survival. It’s important to learn how to manage that in a time when our access to unhealthy and empty calorie foods isn’t in line with our evolution, but to pretend that you don’t experience a physiological change in your brain when you eat, and deride others for enjoying food is why you lose credibility. Good food can be a great part of life. I’m actually really not trying to bash your lifestyle, but telling other people that their fitness routines are not sound because they enjoy food is not rational.
a person can derive happiness from eating an apple, just as well as eating chemical laden ice cream.

a person can also find happiness in being healthy. Will you now claim that by abusing your body for 5 years brought you happiness?

happiness is a choice. if your happiness is dependent on what you eat then you are doing it wrong. You should know this , you are the one that abused your body for 5 years. your words!

as far as the brain goes, sugar is more addicting than heroin. people that defend eating sugar in moderation sound just like the people that defend the heroin addicts.

America is known for being obese..... which also explains the number of weight loss topics. If people ate healthy to begin with, we wouldn't be on the weight loss issue.

you can do whatever you want (i predict a repeat of your last 5 years). as for me I'll be eating clean food, and staying with the intermittent fasting.
Old 08-28-19, 12:00 AM
JoeKahno

Bikes: Bridgestone Albelt with a second Bridgestone chain drive as a backup

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by guachi
I found this video shockingly unconvincing and disingenuous.
Unconvinced? Ok. I'm under no obligation to convince or persuade you.

Disingenuous? Can you cite a single reputable study as evidence that anything Dr. Fung said is false or misleading? Or is it just that the data he presents conflicts with your personal bias?
Old 08-28-19, 06:09 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
a person can derive happiness from eating an apple, just as well as eating chemical laden ice cream.

a person can also find happiness in being healthy. Will you now claim that by abusing your body for 5 years brought you happiness?

happiness is a choice. if your happiness is dependent on what you eat then you are doing it wrong. You should know this , you are the one that abused your body for 5 years. your words!

as far as the brain goes, sugar is more addicting than heroin. people that defend eating sugar in moderation sound just like the people that defend the heroin addicts.

America is known for being obese..... which also explains the number of weight loss topics. If people ate healthy to begin with, we wouldn't be on the weight loss issue.

you can do whatever you want (i predict a repeat of your last 5 years). as for me I'll be eating clean food, and staying with the intermittent fasting.
You still doing high intensity interval training daily during three day fasts? I predict you might not be around in five years.
Old 08-28-19, 06:45 AM
Metieval

Originally Posted by livedarklions
You still doing high intensity interval training daily during three day fasts? I predict you might not be around in five years.
I've made it for 10 years doing this why would the next 5 or 10 be any different?

eat to live, don't live to eat.
Old 08-28-19, 07:02 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I've made it for 10 years doing this why would the next 5 or 10 be any different?

eat to live, don't live to eat.
You are quite possibly doing damage to the cardiac muscle that won't be obvious until it's too late.

You're telling a bunch of people who are doing well that it's going to stop working for them at some time. You're also accusing people without any basis whatsoever of having "food addiction". This alarmist, clearly food-phobic behavior is still not normal, and you clearly have eating issues yourself.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-28-19, 07:10 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
When I was playing football in college (1964-1968) I was 5'10 1/2" and 180-190 lbs. In 1969 when I finished Basic Training at Ft. Jackson I was 178 lbs. These days, at age 73, I am 5'8" and 185-189 lbs. Just a baseline. In the past 10 years I have tried many approaches to weight loss. My goal is 180 lbs. My experience is this: to lose weight, eat less (marginally), eat real food and be active every day you can. Simply exercising will not result in a permanent weight loss. Cutting my calories severely and/or zeroing on carbs just left me weak and unhappy. One thing that has helped is knowing the difference between "hungry" and "not full." These days I eat when I'm hungry. I don't eat because it's breakfast time or lunch time. And, if I eat, say, 1/2 a sandwich and I'm no longer hungry, the other 1/2 is saved for later. Seems to be working nicely and I've been really good on the bike. That's my experience.
Old 08-28-19, 07:37 AM
Metieval

You are quite possibly doing damage to the cardiac muscle that won't be obvious until it's too late.

You're telling a bunch of people who are doing well that it's going to stop working for them at some time. You're also accusing people without any basis whatsoever of having "food addiction". This alarmist, clearly food-phobic behavior is still not normal, and you clearly have eating issues yourself.
I am , or I possibly Am. I need that clarified. you really don't have a clue. *hint* you use "possibly"

As far as the "food addiction" statement goes... It's true. Look at the fast food industry, the frozen meal industry, the processed food industry, the convenience store industry, Hostess, little debbie snacks, Been to a fair recently and looked at the fried foods?
hydrogenated oils. processed foods feed the addiction.

think you are not addicted, then don't fast ... just don't eat any processed foods or drink any caffeine (drug) for the next 30 days, and let's see how you and your cravings get along. Exactly, it is a challenge you won't do because.... addiction!

you accuse me of eating issues because I fast ( our bodies were designed to fast). Not an issue or disorder, it's healthy. You accuse me of having eating issues because I am on the war path against fast food, processed food, sugar, hydrogenated oils, caffeine abuse, processed sugars, corn syrup, HFCS.....etc.. it's a long list.
yeah I am different than you, that doesn't mean I have issues. It's just that I am awake as to why Millions of people are dying to diabetes, heart issues, obesity issues.

I have first hand seen health issues cured via fasting.

I am not food Phobic at all. My re-feeds just happen to be healthy and real food, not food like substance, nor GMO substance, nor hybrid grown, nor seedless, And now you might get a glimpse into why I can eat less, because my food has value!
Old 08-28-19, 08:44 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
What is clean food? Does that mean you wash it?

Another first world buzz word that I suspect won't be around in 5 years ie. "fat free". Remember when that was so important to health.

Almost every plant based food, and every animal in commercial livestock production, is genetically modified. Creating a non science based bias around the method of modification without scientific fact is either a faith based decision or irrational fear.

Against big corp? The "organic" movement is now a multi billion dollar large corporation entity that wields as much control over producers as any other for profit enterprise.

Food is just food. Try not to make it into a eugenic exercise.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 08-28-19 at 08:52 AM.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 08-28-19, 09:22 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
When I was playing football in college (1964-1968) I was 5'10 1/2" and 180-190 lbs. In 1969 when I finished Basic Training at Ft. Jackson I was 178 lbs. These days, at age 73, I am 5'8" and 185-189 lbs. Just a baseline. In the past 10 years I have tried many approaches to weight loss. My goal is 180 lbs. My experience is this: to lose weight, eat less (marginally), eat real food and be active every day you can. Simply exercising will not result in a permanent weight loss. Cutting my calories severely and/or zeroing on carbs just left me weak and unhappy. One thing that has helped is knowing the difference between "hungry" and "not full." These days I eat when I'm hungry. I don't eat because it's breakfast time or lunch time. And, if I eat, say, 1/2 a sandwich and I'm no longer hungry, the other 1/2 is saved for later. Seems to be working nicely and I've been really good on the bike. That's my experience.
this sounds right to me

and as far as what to eat, I thought we came to an agreement earlier in the thread that says calories in calories out is all that matters
Old 08-28-19, 09:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I am , or I possibly Am. I need that clarified. you really don't have a clue. *hint* you use "possibly"

As far as the "food addiction" statement goes... It's true. Look at the fast food industry, the frozen meal industry, the processed food industry, the convenience store industry, Hostess, little debbie snacks, Been to a fair recently and looked at the fried foods?

think you are not addicted, then don't fast ... just don't eat any processed foods or drink any caffeine (drug) for the next 30 days, and let's see how you and your cravings get along. Exactly, it is a challenge you won't do because.... addiction!

you accuse me of eating issues because I fast ( our bodies were designed to fast). Not an issue or disorder, it's healthy. You accuse me of having eating issues because I am on the war path against fast food, processed food, sugar, hydrogenated oils, caffeine abuse, processed sugars, corn syrup, HFCS.....etc.. it's a long list.
yeah I am different than you, that doesn't mean I have issues. It's just that I am awake as to why Millions of people are dying to diabetes, heart issues, obesity issues.

I am not food Phobic at all. My re-feeds just happen to be healthy and real food, not food like substance, nor GMO substance, nor hybrid grown, nor seedless, And now you might get a glimpse into why I can eat less, because my food has value!
You do you, man. I just would not be at all surprised that someone who stresses his heart daily while not taking in any calories for 72 hours drops dead suddenly from a heart attack, and the only reason I haven't just put you on ignore at this point is in case answering your nonsense might make the risk of someone else adopting your clearly self-destructive path just a little lower.

I have seen people die by abusing fasting, you want to trade anecdotes? And no, intermittent fasting has nothing to do with 72 hour fasts while undergoing HIIT daily.

Again, the franticness with which you attack total strangers' eating and fitness habits, and accuse them of having imaginary maladies and addictions is a symptom of someone who clearly has real problems.
Old 08-28-19, 10:09 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts

In some of your posts you're relying pretty heavily on hyperbole (an apple vs. chemical laden ice cream) and then in this post you state a bunch of principles that the average joe clubbie cyclist probably already does anyway.

I don't know anyone on the A-ride that downs fast food or are on some kind of trash-food obese person's diet. Nor the B-ride for that part.

That argument may fly for the average joe who is borderline obese, it doesn't really for most folks in BF.

I haven't raced enough to move up, but I hold even with our local Cat 3 guys and can drop a couple of em. I eat dessert, with sugar in it. I drink beer and wine, with alcohol in it. I drink coffee, with caffeine in it.

You're trying to apply an extremist/purist mentality to it when moderation gets even the obese person 95% of the way there.

To me, even that 5% ain't worth living a life in which you deprive yourself of these "addictions".

I'm not going to be a Cat 1 racer because I stop drinking any alcohol or any coffee or eating any dessert. I'm already equal/smaller than your average local Cat 3 racer. It's all in the available training time and years under the belt.

Don't try to apply extremes to arguments in which it isn't necessary.

If someone is about to freaking die because they're so obese, then maybe some extreme measures are in order.

But c'mon, get real here. If Phil Gaimon can take World Tour rider KOM's and still eats cookies and have seen him drink a beer in one of his videos.........you can enjoy some foods.

If you have a phobia that food addiction will ruin your life OR short your lifespan by perhaps a single year, you need to see a the******. Seriously, no joke, no funny, not arguing.

Why is a the "t-word" spelling of psychiatrist filtered in this forum. The******. WTF?
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 08-28-19, 10:53 AM
Metieval

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I don't know anyone on the A-ride that downs fast food or are on some kind of trash-food obese person's diet. Nor the B-ride for that part.
And how many Do you know in Cat 3 that needs to be losing weight? or in the A group or B groups.

that's right, not many. we are talking in "general cycling" and those that need to lose weight.

that weight loss will be via their mouths, not the bicycle.

as for your average joe clubbie.... I just saw 3,000 cyclist more than 75% of them were obese or had beer guts. then again they were all riding to eat donuts. because spiking your isulin is fun they said, come live a little they said. Everyone is doing it they said.

be different, be healthy, and they throw the "phobic" insult.
Old 08-28-19, 10:57 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeKahno
First a little background. I'm 61. I hovered near 175 lbs. most of my life until I quit smoking in July of '96. From that point, I put on roughly a pound a month until I leveled off around 210 -215. Before my first trip to the Philippines in 2007 I did a few months of Atkins and free weights so they wouldn't have to get the fat passenger extractor to remove me from the econo-seat on arrival. I got down to 195 but it was a yo-yo dip. Over the last five years I started gaining again mostly due to mobility issues, until I topped out at 240 last October. The combination of aging and obesity resulted in a laundry list of health problems. (High blood pressure, early type 2 diabetes, yada yada) I was car free at the time but didn't ride unless I needed to get somewhere.

After way too much research I found a doctor who knew what he was talking about. By the time I moved to the Philippines in March I had dropped over 20 lbs. I didn't start riding again until I hit 200, a few months ago. I'm currently under 195 with a tentative target range of 185-190. I'm starting to feel like a kid again and ride now for the same reasons I rode then, basic transportation and the simple joy of being in motion.

What I've learned so far;
Most of what you know about dieting is false, useless, or both.
Most doctors spend more time in medical school learning how to choose a receptionist than studying normal metabolism.
What you eat, how much you eat, and how much you exercise is almost totally irrelevant.

Dr Jason Fung has a six part series on YouTube called "The Aetiology of Obesity" that lays it all out in detail.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpllomiDMX0

If you want the Cliff Notes version try this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIuj-oMN-Fk
And that's where I realized there wouldn't be any value in watching those videos.
Old 08-28-19, 11:01 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
this sounds right to me

and as far as what to eat, I thought we came to an agreement earlier in the thread that says calories in calories out is all that matters
I'd be shocked if we came to an agreement on anything.
Old 08-28-19, 11:02 AM
Metieval

I have seen people die by abusing fasting,
I doubt it.... maybe starvation, but not fasting. I wouldn't expect everyone to know the difference though.

the way you dropped previous comments about "eating empty calories", that if you do know someone that died, they died from malnutrition , not fasting!!!
Old 08-28-19, 11:18 AM
radroad

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
Ha! My BMI is now either 25.1 or 24.9 depending on whether I use my morning or evening height. I am officially no longer overweight!

But seriously, yes, I am, as my lean mass is not where it should be, and my body fat is unfortunately still too high.

My waistline is under 36": still too high, but again, well below average stateside. The average waistline for US men is over 40"! For US women, it is nearly 39"!

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-n...merica?slide=4
Old 08-28-19, 11:23 AM
OBoile

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
this sounds right to me

A good post on Calories In/Calories Out that sums up what I believe:
https://www.precisionnutrition.com/c...n-calories-out

I saw this a few days ago on Facebook and thought of this thread right away.
Old 08-28-19, 11:27 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
fact: multiple meta-analyses have found intermittent fasting is no more effective than regular old calorie restriction. also, too much of the supposed benefits of IF are based on unproven theory

there are so many unhealthy viewpoints regarding food, on both sides. I lost 75lbs through cycling and moderation about 5 years ago, I eat relatively healthy, sometimes eat not so great food that I enjoy, but I ride so much I need the calories and especially the carbs (oh, and I'm probably faster than most folks here, so I'm not out there just tooling around). I think a lot of people who ride eat more because they *think* they're working off a lot of calories; having ridden with a power meter for a few years, and having a good idea of the work I do, I know a lot of people aren't burning off near as many calories as I do, so I think the key is getting people to balance exercising with a bit more purpose (just because you aren't racing doesn't mean you can't train to get faster and burn more calories naturally) and also understanding that for most cycling activity we have more than enough fuel in our bodies to not have to eat a ton of calories a day.

Like it or not, food has been an essential part of the human experience, so many cultural traditions are centered around the act of coming together at the table, let's not lose sight of that.
Old 08-28-19, 11:28 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

And how many Do you know in Cat 3 that needs to be losing weight? or in the A group or B groups.

that's right, not many. we are talking in "general cycling" and those that need to lose weight.

that weight loss will be via their mouths, not the bicycle.

as for your average joe clubbie.... I just saw 3,000 cyclist more than 75% of them were obese or had beer guts. then again they were all riding to eat donuts. because spiking your isulin is fun they said, come live a little they said. Everyone is doing it they said.

be different, be healthy, and they throw the "phobic" insult.
The phobic assertion is because you keep making crazy accusations and insults at people because they won't adopt your extreme food-avoidance plan.

Nothing you've posted here remotely suggests to anyone that you're "healthy".
Old 08-28-19, 11:36 AM
OBoile

Come on! No it isn't.

https://behavioralscientist.org/no-s...nt-new-heroin/
https://www.theguardian.com/society/...body-and-brain

What a ridiculous thing to say.
Old 08-28-19, 11:49 AM
Metieval

Nothing you've posted here remotely suggests to anyone that you're "healthy".
. You've already proven that you will throw personal insults (and not just at me but many other BF members also), so I am not going to post my blood work/stats here.
Old 08-28-19, 11:49 AM
radroad

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
So many arguments here. Must be a lot of triggered fat people. jk. Maybe.

Just do what common sense dictates:

1. organic is better than non-organic. Anyone who thinks fruits and vegetables sprayed with pesticides improve your health is an idiot. Anyone who thinks animals pumped with antibiotics and growth hormones is good for you is an idiot.

2. non processed foods are better than processed foods.

3. any artificial ingredients or genetic modification is BAD for you.

4. excess calorie consumption is bad for you.

And yes, there are gross differences in the quality of organics. Produce from local small farmers is almost always superior to organics from big box retailers. Yes, some organic produce from big box retailers is better than other organic produce from BBR's.

5. Weight bearing exercise is ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL. In just a couple of weeks, my posture is significantly improved, I am stronger, more alert, etc., as a result of weight training. Cardio alone is INSUFFICIENT for best health.

Also, no, just because you had a single glass of wine and didn't keel over dead immediately doesn't make alcohol healthy for you. Alcohol is a neurotoxin, period. Although SOME individuals can drink without apparent ill effects, in the aggregate, it is definitely bad for you. A lot of people will get suckered into drinking by fake medical studies, but that's their problem if they want to be duped and ignore their own intuition and any common sense they may have once possessed.

Same with tobacco. Nicotine won't kill EVERY SINGLE PERSON immediately; but on the aggregate, many more people who smoke will suffer from disease compared to people who don't.

Caffeine is bad for you. Refined sugar is bad for you. Alcohol is bad for you. Nicotine is bad for you. Excess calories are bad for you. Focusing on aerobic activity without weight resistance training is far from ideal.

Just use common sense.
Old 08-28-19, 11:55 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

. You've already proven that you will throw personal insults (and not just at me but many other BF members also), so I am not going to post my blood work/stats here.
Feel free, I'm pretty sure mine are better.

The tip-off your health is bad is how obsessive you are about telling people how bad theirs is. Your posting history likewise indicates that, but I'll leave that to other people to find.

Last edited by livedarklions; 08-28-19 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-28-19, 12:18 PM
OBoile

Originally Posted by radroad

1. organic is better than non-organic. Anyone who thinks fruits and vegetables sprayed with pesticides improve your health is an idiot. Anyone who thinks animals pumped with antibiotics and growth hormones is good for you is an idiot.
Organic food also uses pesticides, they just have to be certain ones (and that choice isn't made based on toxicity). There's also not much evidence that eating organic produces any significant health benefits.
I don't think "animals pumped with antibiotics and growth hormones" are good for me, but I've yet to see any compelling evidence that this negatively impacts a person's health (fwiw using growth hormones isn't legal in my country).
2. non processed foods are better than processed foods.
Given that there is no clear definition of "processed" I'm not sure we can say that. Also, many berries (and many other plants and animals) are highly toxic, yet would be considered non-processed if I picked them right off the bush. IMO, this is too general a statement to make.
3. any artificial ingredients or genetic modification is BAD for you.
There's no evidence of GMO foods being worse for you than non-GMO foods. Also, saying *any* artificial ingredients are bad is again too general of a statement to make IMO.
4. excess calorie consumption is bad for you.
I suppose this is true, otherwise the given level of consumption wouldn't be considered "excess".
And yes, there are gross differences in the quality of organics. Produce from local small farmers is almost always superior to organics from big box retailers. Yes, some organic produce from big box retailers is better than other organic produce from BBR's.
I'm not sure this is true at all.
5. Weight bearing exercise is ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL. In just a couple of weeks, my posture is significantly improved, I am stronger, more alert, etc., as a result of weight training. Cardio alone is INSUFFICIENT for best health.
Weight bearing exercise, and in particular strength training, is an important component of overall health. I agree.

Also, no, just because you had a single glass of wine and didn't keel over dead immediately doesn't make alcohol healthy for you. Alcohol is a neurotoxin, period. Although SOME individuals can drink without apparent ill effects, in the aggregate, it is definitely bad for you. A lot of people will get suckered into drinking by fake medical studies, but that's their problem if they want to be duped and ignore their own intuition and any common sense they may have once possessed.
This is true. But the dosage makes the poison.
Same with tobacco. Nicotine won't kill EVERY SINGLE PERSON immediately; but on the aggregate, many more people who smoke will suffer from disease compared to people who don't.
Nicotine is what keeps you addicted, it's not generally what kills you (although I'm sure it is "bad" for you).
Caffeine is bad for you.
The dosage makes the poison. I'm not aware of any evidence that says moderate amounts are bad.
Refined sugar is bad for you.
Again, the dosage makes the poison. The problem isn't sugar (which is just glucose and fructose, both of which are exactly the same as the glucose and fructose that exists in healthy natural "unprocessed" foods). It's that people eat too much of it.
Just use common sense.
Common sense may not be as common as it seems. Don't just fall for buzzwords and whatever the latest hype is.
Old 08-28-19, 12:19 PM
bruce19

Is sugar addictive? One take...https://www.quora.com/Whats-more-add...gar-or-alcohol

The 5 most addictive substances...https://www.sciencealert.com/the-5-m...-to-your-brain

Just thought this was interesting.
Likes For bruce19:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.