Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What size tubeless tape?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

What size tubeless tape?

Old 11-14-19, 04:06 PM
suncruiser

Bikes: 2015 Trek District 8, 2017 Salsa Vaya Claris, 2012 SE Draft

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
What size tubeless tape?

Converting my gravel bike to tubeless, I have the WTB TCS wheels, already have the tires, valves and sealant either ordered or already at home. My question is what size tubeless rim tape should I use on my wheel? Internal width 19, do I just get 19mm tape or do I get larger?
Old 11-14-19, 04:16 PM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
I usually use a tubeless tape that's a couple of mm wider than the stated internal width of the rim. The contours of the rim bed add a little distance across the internal surface of the rim.
Old 11-14-19, 04:42 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
24/25mm. All of my wheelsets that require tape are 19mm internal, and I use 24/25mm tape in all of them. Is just wide enough to cover the entire rim bed, and start to make the turn toward the bead hooks. Remember, the rim bed of a 19mm ID wide wheel is wider than 19mm, because of the dip in the middle. It's really 22-23mm wide.

WTB sells theirs as 24mm, Stan's as 25mm, though I suspect it's the same stuff. For my next wheel taping I'll be trying Tyvek seaming tape, cut down to 1" wide. Apparently it's the best-- the only drawback being that the narrowest roll is 1.88" (48mm) wide.
Old 11-14-19, 07:02 PM
suncruiser

All right cool. What rim strips would you guys recommend?
Old 11-14-19, 07:18 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

I've used like 5 brands, and they're all the same so far as I can tell. I have a fresh roll of WTB sitting on the bench, bought only because the price was oddly low at the time. A lot of MTB guys swear by Gorilla Tape. I just read a lengthy write-up reviewing all of the off-the-shelf and DIY rim tape options, and Tyvek tape was at the top. If you have no desire to tinker and just want to tape a wheelset, I'd say WTB/Stan's. Proven to work.
Old 11-14-19, 07:20 PM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by suncruiser
Stan's....pull it TIGHT, as you apply it.
Old 11-14-19, 08:00 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 367 Posts
The two I have used for tubeless applications are Stans and Velocity Velotape. I like the way the Velotape lays down, but for applications over 45 psi, it needs to be doubled up.

Last edited by Dan Burkhart; 11-14-19 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11-14-19, 08:09 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
I get it as small as possible to just cover the spoke holes. Like 19mm is the smallest I found.

Reason is i don't want rim tape too close to the bead because a tight tire will be even tighter when it has tape under and won't slide easily to the bead.

the rim tape only needs to have enough surface to stick and cover the holes.

Oh, and thinner tape saves a lot of weight
Likes For HerrKaLeun:
Old 11-14-19, 08:42 PM
suncruiser

Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
I get it as small as possible to just cover the spoke holes. Like 19mm is the smallest I found.

Reason is i don't want rim tape too close to the bead because a tight tire will be even tighter when it has tape under and won't slide easily to the bead.

Wouldn't thinner tape save all of a couple of grams? I'm not doubting you really. Just kinda curious.

My bike is currently about 33lbs in itself, tubeless tires should bring it to around 30-31. Not too worried about grams, more interested in less rolling resistance
Old 11-14-19, 09:01 PM
suncruiser

Just got my tires in... Would it make it easier to mount them if I preshaped them with tubes?
Old 11-14-19, 11:51 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts

You're doing this on a tubeless setup, as the OP intends?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-15-19, 08:23 PM
HerrKaLeun

Wouldn't thinner tape save all of a couple of grams? I'm not doubting you really. Just kinda curious.

My bike is currently about 33lbs in itself, tubeless tires should bring it to around 30-31. Not too worried about grams, more interested in less rolling resistance
i had added some sarcasm with the weight comment.... i have touring tires that weigh over 900g each

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
You're doing this on a tubeless setup, as the OP intends?
yes
Old 11-15-19, 08:38 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
yes
Interesting, I thought the tape needed to go completely under the beads to seal reliably.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-15-19, 09:16 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

My wheelbuilder builds hundreds of sets of wheels per year, and the tubeless tape is always edge-to-edge. I'm gonna keep taping wheels the same way he does.
Old 11-16-19, 10:02 AM
HerrKaLeun

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Interesting, I thought the tape needed to go completely under the beads to seal reliably.
teh tape only seals the spoke holes. the rest of the rim is solid aluminum that is already air-tight. if it wasn't for the spoke holes, no tape would be needed.
if you have the tape too close to the tire, it may not fit correctly anymore. At minimum it will be hard to move the tire.

this is different for typical fatbike rims, where there are cutouts. in that case you use a tape as wide as the rim. I believe my 80mm fatbike rims required 78mm tape.
Likes For HerrKaLeun:
Old 11-19-19, 03:54 PM
Metaluna

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Gunnar Sport, Soma Saga, Workswell WCBR-146

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
teh tape only seals the spoke holes. the rest of the rim is solid aluminum that is already air-tight. if it wasn't for the spoke holes, no tape would be needed.
if you have the tape too close to the tire, it may not fit correctly anymore. At minimum it will be hard to move the tire.

this is different for typical fatbike rims, where there are cutouts. in that case you use a tape as wide as the rim. I believe my 80mm fatbike rims required 78mm tape.
Every rim/tire combination is different, but as long as it doesn't interfere with tire mounting, then using edge-to-edge tape allows the bead to press down on the edges of the tape, sealing them off and preventing sealant from working its way under the tape and migrating towards a spoke hole under pressure. Maybe if I were using Gorilla Tape I would be less worried about this since the adhesive is much stronger. Also, if you ever need to unseat the tire, I would be concerned that the bead would scrape across the edge of a narrow tape (especially if you have a double layer), pulling it up. If the tape is edge-to-edge, then the bead is already in contact with the tape, so when it pulls away from the hook it should just slide over the tape with minimal damage. On the other hand, wider tape is easier to mangle with a tire lever so it's tricky either way.
Likes For Metaluna:
Old 11-19-19, 08:25 PM
HerrKaLeun

Originally Posted by Metaluna
Every rim/tire combination is different, but as long as it doesn't interfere with tire mounting, then using edge-to-edge tape allows the bead to press down on the edges of the tape, sealing them off and preventing sealant from working its way under the tape and migrating towards a spoke hole under pressure. Maybe if I were using Gorilla Tape I would be less worried about this since the adhesive is much stronger. Also, if you ever need to unseat the tire, I would be concerned that the bead would scrape across the edge of a narrow tape (especially if you have a double layer), pulling it up. If the tape is edge-to-edge, then the bead is already in contact with the tape, so when it pulls away from the hook it should just slide over the tape with minimal damage. On the other hand, wider tape is easier to mangle with a tire lever so it's tricky either way.
Gorilla tape isn't really sealant rated and also is thicker. That MAY make tire installation worse and the sealant MAY dissolve the adhesive/tape over time. Better to spend a $ more and get tape that is tubeless rated.
you are right with the variety of tire/rim combinations. Unfortunately bicycle tubeless tires and rims aren't as standardized as car systems (but also is much lighter). But still best to use actually tubeless rated equipment (tire, rim, tape)