Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Jamis Renegade owners

Old 12-01-20, 02:27 PM
loheiman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Update: Heard back from Enduro bearings and their 6.5mm thick one will work as a lower bearing (which is originally 8mm). The reason is because the extra material sits inside the head tube thus allowing the fork and rest of headset to be located in the same positions. I'll be replacing the headset bearings with Enduro bearings:

Lower
Original part: FSA TH MR019
ID: 1.5" / 40mm OD:51.8 x 8 mm thick replacement:
Enduro Replacement: ACB 6808 CC SS

Upper
Original Patrt: FSA TH MR0401
ID: 1 1/8” / 30.2mm OD:41mm x 6.5mm thick.
Enduro replacement: ACB 3645 SS
Likes For loheiman:
Old 12-23-20, 06:38 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by mirlocork
thanks for your answer
One more thing, does anyone have a photo or know how a rear rack is mounted on the 2020 steel renegade s2/s1 ?. is it reliable with saddlebags?
Thank you very much again
Adding a rear rack is fine but this is not a full touring bike so it is not rated to carry 40 pounds. I think the rear rack limit is something like 25 pounds.
Old 12-29-20, 08:48 AM
tooling-around

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Changing stock gearing on 2018 Expat

I recently picked up a 2018 Renegade Expat and I want to change the stock gearing, which is currently 54/34t and 11/32t, to a more hill-friendly setup. I've read in this thread about folks swapping out the front chainrings and rear cog to accomplish this. I've managed to track down and order a 110mm 46T to replace the larger ring up front, and a new 11-36t rear cog. I've read about folks in this thread swapping out the smaller stock 34t chainring for 30t, but I can't for the life of me find a 110mm 5-hole 30t ring that will work. Any ideas on where I might find one, or am I barking up the wrong tree? Thanks for any help! Cheers

Last edited by tooling-around; 12-29-20 at 09:08 AM.
Old 12-29-20, 08:54 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Originally Posted by pondering.skies
I recently picked up a 2018 Renegade Expat and I want to change the stock gearing, which is currently 54/34t and 11/33t, to a more hill-friendly setup. I've read in this thread about folks swapping out the front chainrings and rear cog to accomplish this. I've managed to track down and order a 110mm 46T to replace the larger ring up front, and a new 11-34t rear cog. I've read about folks in this thread swapping out the smaller stock 34t chainring for 30t, but I can't for the life of me find a 110mm 5-hole 30t ring that will work. Any ideas on where I might find one, or am I barking up the wrong tree? Thanks for any help! Cheers
Dont change from an 11-33(didnt realize this is an option even) to 11-34. Buy an 11-36 instead, like the SRAM PG1170(there are a lot of other options too in this gear range). A Shimano medium cage rear derailleur can handle 46/34 front and 11-36 rear...ive used that combo with a couple different modern 11sp Shimano RDs.

As for smaller than 34t up front- there are a couple hacks for 1110bcd, but you are basically out of luck and need to buy a different crankset.
Praxis Zayante and Alba come in 48/32.
Shimano GRX, FSA(various models), and a couple others come in 46/30.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 12-29-20 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12-29-20, 10:43 AM
tooling-around

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Dont change from an 11-33(didnt realize this is an option even) to 11-34. Buy an 11-36 instead, like the SRAM PG1170(there are a lot of other options too in this gear range). A Shimano medium cage rear derailleur can handle 46/34 front and 11-36 rear...ive used that combo with a couple different modern 11sp Shimano RDs.

As for smaller than 34t up front- there are a couple hacks for 1110bcd, but you are basically out of luck and need to buy a different crankset.
Praxis Zayante and Alba come in 48/32.
Shimano GRX, FSA(various models), and a couple others come in 46/30.
Thanks! Sorry I realized I made an error in my original post and have corrected it...my current stock rear cog is 11/32t and I am replacing it with a 11/36t. Thanks for the heads up on the front derailleur. Sounds like maybe I should just give the 46/34 front and 11-36 rear combo a try for a while. That might make enough of a difference for me. Thanks!
Old 12-29-20, 10:09 PM
zen_

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 55 Posts
Thanks! Sorry I realized I made an error in my original post and have corrected it...my current stock rear cog is 11/32t and I am replacing it with a 11/36t. Thanks for the heads up on the front derailleur. Sounds like maybe I should just give the 46/34 front and 11-36 rear combo a try for a while. That might make enough of a difference for me. Thanks!
If it's in your budget, and you can find the parts, swapping out the front derailleur, rear derailleur, and crank (46/30) with 10 speed GRX, a Shimano BB, and an 11-34 or 11-36 cassette would make a lot of sense to get the low gears you want, and improve things a little. The addition of the clutch on the RD is nice, and it handles bigger cassettes no problem. The GRX FD, which you have to use with the GRX crank due to the q-factor, shifts a little easier too.

A thriftier option without replacing the derailleurs or BB would be an FSA Omega Adventure 46/30 crank (uses the same BB) and an an 11-34 cassette. The Tiagra RD might shift an 11-36 as well.
Old 01-01-21, 08:05 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
I recently picked up a 2018 Renegade Expat and I want to change the stock gearing, which is currently 54/34t and 11/32t, to a more hill-friendly setup. I've read in this thread about folks swapping out the front chainrings and rear cog to accomplish this. I've managed to track down and order a 110mm 46T to replace the larger ring up front, and a new 11-36t rear cog. I've read about folks in this thread swapping out the smaller stock 34t chainring for 30t, but I can't for the life of me find a 110mm 5-hole 30t ring that will work. Any ideas on where I might find one, or am I barking up the wrong tree? Thanks for any help! Cheers
You can't fit a 30t ring on a 5 bolt 110 bcd crankset. That's why you can't find one.
Old 01-01-21, 08:07 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by zen_
The Tiagra RD might shift an 11-36 as well.
It does but it's a garbage rd in terms of longevity.
Old 01-07-21, 07:45 PM
zen_

Just picked up the 2021 Renegade S1 frameset from the LBS today. I think it was the right choice to change to standard cable routing. The T47 BB and tapered head tube are also nice touches, and it even included an FSA T47 BB for 30mm spindles with a 24mm adapter. Can't wait to get this built!

Likes For zen_:
Old 01-08-21, 04:10 PM
shoota 

Just picked up the 2021 Renegade S1 frameset from the LBS today. I think it was the right choice to change to standard cable routing. The T47 BB and tapered head tube are also nice touches, and it even included an FSA T47 BB for 30mm spindles with a 24mm adapter. Can't wait to get this built!

What do you mean by "normal cable routing"?
Old 01-08-21, 04:21 PM
nathand

Bikes: 2018 Jamis Renegade Exploit, 1996 Trek 930, mid-90's Dean El Diente, 2010 Scott Addict SL, 1998 Trek 730, Xtracycle EdgeRunner 30D, Xtracycle Swoop, 1992 Trek 790

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
What do you mean by "normal cable routing"?
I think this refers to a change in the design versus older models of the Renegade. My 2018 Exploit has the derailleur cables run along the top tube, rather than the down tube. For the front derailleur this means there's a sharp turn at the seattube and a pulley behind the seattube below the derailleur clamp to change the cable direction, and the rear derailleur cable follows a seatstay.
Old 01-08-21, 04:23 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by nathand
I think this refers to a change in the design versus older models of the Renegade. My 2018 Exploit has the derailleur cables run along the top tube, rather than the down tube. For the front derailleur this means there's a sharp turn at the seattube and a pulley behind the seattube below the derailleur clamp to change the cable direction, and the rear derailleur cable follows a seatstay.
Gotcha. I hate that damn fd pulley, terrible design. As long as the new Renegades are still using fully enclosed housing then I'm all for the change. However, exposed cables have no place on a gravel bike.
Old 01-08-21, 06:37 PM
zen_

As long as the new Renegades are still using fully enclosed housing then I'm all for the change
They are still fully enclosed (agreed that's much better for gravel), although my one ding on the frameset is that they didn't include a cable stop to use with a front mech. I found some pictures of other 2021 models built up on a Japanese site, and it looked like Jamis used a clamp type stop adapter, so I ordered one of those.
Old 01-11-21, 08:56 AM
shoota 

They are still fully enclosed (agreed that's much better for gravel), although my one ding on the frameset is that they didn't include a cable stop to use with a front mech. I found some pictures of other 2021 models built up on a Japanese site, and it looked like Jamis used a clamp type stop adapter, so I ordered one of those.
Weird. That seems really strange. Do you think they did that because 1X is so popular?
Old 01-11-21, 09:12 PM
zen_

Weird. That seems really strange. Do you think they did that because 1X is so popular?
It did include the plugs for using a Di2 front mech, so I guess they assume that anyone bothering with a 2x build from a frameset will be using Di2. Not really an issue though for a $10 part when it it's a ridiculously good value for $900 compared to what else is out there for steel framesets, and it came with a ~$50 T47 bottom bracket.

Starting to take the form of a bike!

Likes For zen_:
Old 03-02-21, 09:26 AM
marciemare

Bikes: "Scarlett" 2012 Jamis Satellite Sport Femme road bike; "Marigold" 1968 Ladies Raleigh Sports (Marfield) 3-speed commuter; "Fennel" 2015 Dahon Boardwalk folding bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Renegade and SKS clip-on fenders

As rain/mud season is approaching (again), I'm considering fenders for my 2019 Renegade Expat. I am intrigued by the SKS clip-on options, but am not sure if the design would work with the way the front derailleur cable is set up on the bike, with a pulley behind the seat tube. According to the SKS website, the rear fender clips on at the same point--there looks to be a gap, but I'm not sure if it's wide enough not to interfere with shifting. I also have 650b tires (size 48 frame) and am not finding a ton of 650b-friendly fender options!

I have changed from the stock tires to 38mm GravelKing slicks, so it looks like the SKS Velo 47 Trekking fenders should fit these as well as the stock tires if I decide to put those back on.

Here is a photo of the fender attachment: https://www.sks-germany.com/inhalte/u...08/11102-2.jpg

What do you all think? Does anyone have these fenders on their Renegade?
Old 03-14-21, 12:35 PM
MTBJason

Bikes: Davinci MTB Giant Advanced Defy 3 Jamis Renegade Escapade Framed Wolftrax

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 2018 Escapade and I've been rolling stock wheels since it was purchased. I've probably put around 4000 miles on it during that time. I believe the rear hub needs replaced. The stock wheels are WTB Frequency i23. Would it be worth rebuilding the stock wheel set with new hubs or should I upgrade wheels? If so, what are some good recommendations for a new wheel set? I am currently running tubeless so I'd like to stick with that. I don't mind spending money if it's worth it, but i don't want to break the bank either. I ride mainly roads and paved trails, but I do ride crushed limestone and and gravel as well.
Old 03-14-21, 01:10 PM
Oso Polar

Bikes: Trek 3500, Jamis Renegade Escapade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 43 Posts
Hmm, why do you think the hub should be replaced? I have the same bike and probably have at least 3 times more miles on the stock wheels compared to you and they seem to perform as well as new. Love that rear hub is silent. Otherwise, this wheelset is exceptionally heavy and if there is a real need for hub replacement, I'd rather just replace the whole wheelset.
Old 03-14-21, 01:29 PM
MTBJason

Bikes: Davinci MTB Giant Advanced Defy 3 Jamis Renegade Escapade Framed Wolftrax

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Oso Polar
Hmm, why do you think the hub should be replaced? I have the same bike and probably have at least 3 times more miles on the stock wheels compared to you and they seem to perform as well as new. Love that rear hub is silent. Otherwise, this wheelset is exceptionally heavy and if there is a real need for hub replacement, I'd rather just replace the whole wheelset.
There is a loud clicking sound from the rear hub. It's a rotational sound. I'm guessing its a cracked bearing. It has gotten much worse on the last few rides, to the point I don't want to ride it anymore.

I was thinking about replacing since it is a heavy wheelset as you stated. I think it would be a great component to upgrade.
Old 03-14-21, 02:55 PM
zen_

Originally Posted by MTBJason
I have a 2018 Escapade and I've been rolling stock wheels since it was purchased. I've probably put around 4000 miles on it during that time. I believe the rear hub needs replaced. The stock wheels are WTB Frequency i23. Would it be worth rebuilding the stock wheel set with new hubs or should I upgrade wheels? If so, what are some good recommendations for a new wheel set? I am currently running tubeless so I'd like to stick with that. I don't mind spending money if it's worth it, but i don't want to break the bank either. I ride mainly roads and paved trails, but I do ride crushed limestone and and gravel as well.
You may get more advice for this in the mechanic section, but the OE wheels use Formula or Joytech hubs, which are just ok, and the spokes / rims are not nice enough to really warrant rebuilding the wheels if you have to. You may just need the freehub body serviced or replaced though, so it would be worth taking to a bike shop to have them look it over. Even if you get new wheels, it's kinda nice having a second set as a backup, or to run different tires.

As for wheels, there are a good number of options available in the $400-700 range. Shimano GRX, HED Emporia, Spinergy GX, DT Swiss GR1600, Fulcrum Rapid Red 3, Light Bicycle Falcon.
Old 03-15-21, 12:16 AM
Oso Polar

There is a loud clicking sound from the rear hub. It's a rotational sound. I'm guessing its a cracked bearing.
Just in case: remove the "dork" disc and light reflectors first. Both (especially reflectors) were making clicking noise.
Old 03-18-21, 03:25 PM
MTBJason

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Oso Polar
Just in case: remove the "dork" disc and light reflectors first. Both (especially reflectors) were making clicking noise.
So it did end up being the hub. It isn’t repairable. The shop recommended the Bontrager Paradigm Elite 25’s. I believe I was quoted around $950 for the pair. I understand that they are very good wheels for what I’m looking for. Not sure I want to spend that much though. I’d love to get a new set of Panniers as well so I’m thinking more in the $600-$700 range. I will have to check on the options listed above as well. Any other recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Old 03-18-21, 04:00 PM
shoota 

So it did end up being the hub. It isn’t repairable. The shop recommended the Bontrager Paradigm Elite 25’s. I believe I was quoted around $950 for the pair.
That's insane for a run of the mill alloy wheelset. Get any number of the alloy wheelsets out there that are half that. Or spend a couple hundred more and get the Bontrager Pro 3V carbon wheelset.
Old 03-18-21, 05:57 PM
Oso Polar

I got this wheelset: https://www.coloradocyclist.com/dt-s...disc-rims-700c
Together with 54 step star ratchet upgrade (which is $97.60 by itself and is hardly a required item) and shipping ($25) it ended up being $666.74.
They have also many other reasonably priced options: https://www.coloradocyclist.com/cust...ross-wheelsets
Old 03-19-21, 10:05 AM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 317 Posts
So it did end up being the hub. It isn’t repairable. The shop recommended the Bontrager Paradigm Elite 25’s. I believe I was quoted around $950 for the pair. I understand that they are very good wheels for what I’m looking for. Not sure I want to spend that much though. I’d love to get a new set of Panniers as well so I’m thinking more in the $600-$700 range. I will have to check on the options listed above as well. Any other recommendations are greatly appreciated.
The Shimano GRX wheelset is $420 if you want cheaper, but still good option.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.