Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Weight Loss from riding

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Weight Loss from riding

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-19, 06:07 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4408 Post(s)
Liked 4,521 Times in 3,023 Posts
My weight stays the same but I eat too much food and at times drink too much beer. The riding keeps things stable. I could probably lose 20 any more than that I would look scrawny and feel weak.
Old 10-24-19, 06:24 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
After a season or two of weight cutting you know how much to exercise and the diet dynamic. I ride 2 strong rides per week and several 3-5mi casual rides around town for relaxation. I recently returned to the hometown 3 weeks ago and committed to trimming the 195lb bod to my best riding weight of 165. After 3 weeks of riding and doing “pushaways” I have lost 10lbs. A good loss rate for me is 2lbs per week/10lbs per month. God willing I look forward to a fun spring and returning to spirited rides on the road bike. In the meantime, I’m gearing up for a long winter of snowrides on the neighborhood streets in the worst snowstorms...for fun.

OP, when you dress for the ride it makes it rather tolerable and you gain a sense of toughness to be out there when everyone else sits in the house. Git some!
we don't get the snow you guys do, but 100% agree with the last line
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 10-25-19, 11:11 PM
Raptor1956

Bikes: Trek Madone 4.7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
I had to pick up a couple new tubes as the ones I had have already been patched a few times. So today I go out for another ride and near the turn around point about 10 miles in I start feeling a thump-thump-thump thing at the rear wheel. So I stop at the turn around point and give the rear wheel the once over and, no, the tire isn't flat, but the sidewall is bulging out on one side. I realize there's nothing I can do about it and am 10 miles from my car so I decide to head back a bit more slowly. I get about 4.5 miles when the thumping gets worse so I decide to get off and walk it. I walk about half a mile when I come up with the idea of lowering the pressure and I do just that -- dropping to, perhaps, about 40psi from the normal 90-105psi they're normally set at. I then get back on the bike and riding even more slowly I'm able to get another 4 miles before the thumping gets bad again and I walk it the rest of the way.

The previous ride I had a pinch flat and had to walk it 4 miles back to the car and today I had a bead blowout and might have had to walk it 5.5 miles but lowering the pressure saved me 4 of those miles.

I guess it's time for new tires as both the current ones, Continental Vectran Breaker 700x23C, have several thousand miles and have been on and off the rims numerous times with all the flats I've had this year. So, this puts me dead in the water until I get some new tires and right now I'm thinking about the Continental Grand Prix 5000's in 700x25C -- a couple mm wider than the current shoes. I can get a pair from Amazon for about $90USD but would appreciate any feedback on alternatives with similar performance and maybe a bit cheaper. I should mention that my rear wheel has a Velocity Deep-V rim with 32 blade spokes to go along with an old but still functioning Powertap SL+ hub.

Brian

Last edited by Raptor1956; 10-25-19 at 11:28 PM.
Old 10-25-19, 11:19 PM
Raptor1956

Originally Posted by jrhoneOC
Great story...Great job!

My story is similar. I stepped on the scale at 230. A few yers ago I had exercised my way down to 170. Damn. 60 pounds. So I wondered what would motivate me to change my eating habits (I refuse to call it a diet) and exercise more regularly. I hate the gym. I hate running. When I lost before it was eating better and running 3 miles a day, religiously. Rain or shine. Took me about 4 months and it came off. I didnt want to go back to running as I hated it...so I decided a mountain bike would give me some motivation. It worked. On 9/1 I weighed in at 230. On 10/1, I was 205. I have hit a wall around 203, but I am pushing through it...looking forward to getting under 200 soon. I bike 2-3 times a week and the other days power walking, or treadmill at the gym with some weights mixed in. All this to help with the fitness to get better on the bike. Day 1 on the bike and 5 miles KILLED me. I'm up to 16 miles now and its a breeze. Hills and climbing though are difficult so I am motivated keep working on fitness to get better. Biking has truly lit a fire under me!
My weight loss pace has been slower requiring 3 months of riding to lose 30 pounds but the last time I stepped on the scale I was below 200lbs -- 32-33 pounds down from when I got back on the bike in July. Now if I can manage to get more than a couple rides in before another flat maybe I'll get into the mid 190's by the end of the month.

Brian
Old 10-26-19, 04:47 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
There are cycling studies done on the effective results of a 5lb weight loss. Today I shaved 3 minutes off a ride on a course that I did 3 weeks ago being 10-12lbs heavier. Those 3 weeks were spent riding the single tracks on a heavier mountain bike. Today I rode the Cannondale Criterium on the flats and hills. I have always known you could feel a 5lb weight loss but today that was very noticeable.
Old 10-26-19, 06:32 PM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
OP, when you dress for the ride it makes it rather tolerable and you gain a sense of toughness to be out there when everyone else sits in the house. Git some!
Now there are some encouraging words if I ever heard them.
Likes For Ballenxj:
Old 10-26-19, 06:49 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Ballenxj
Now there are some encouraging words if I ever heard them.
Thank you, you just passed the encouragement back!

Here is the link on weight loss vs performance. This is the stuff that makes riding so much more enjoyable:

https://www.bicycling.com/training/g...g-performance/
Old 10-29-19, 09:42 AM
ultrarider7

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Varsity, 1985 Trek 410, 1985 Peugeot P 8, 2021 Pinarello Dogma F12, 2022 Cannondale Topstone Alloy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 1,102 Times in 327 Posts
Weight loss not so extreme

I fell away from biking 22 years ago when I bought a motorcycle. After completing my mid-life crisis, I sold the Harley about 5 years ago and became a true couch potato. This year I got back into riding (sans motor) and I have riden 1390 miles to date.

While I haven't lost a great deal of weight, I have trimmed down from 38" waist to 36". My pounds lost is only 8 pounds, but my face is slimmer as well as other parts. I have far more stamina and less of an appetite that I gained riding the motorcycle.
I've told others that the problem with riding a motorcycle is that the fresh air being forced down your throat makes you feel like you've done something, while in reality all you've done is sit on your arse. I'd love to get back into the 180's instead of my 194 that I am at today.
Old 10-30-19, 09:51 AM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Raptor1956
I walked -- took 1:06

Brian
When that happens, don't you wonder why no one stops and offers you a ride? And if you had cleats on, crap....that is a horrible walk. And walking in your socks isn't much better.
Old 10-30-19, 09:56 AM
Raptor1956

Originally Posted by smoore
When that happens, don't you wonder why no one stops and offers you a ride? And if you had cleats on, crap....that is a horrible walk. And walking in your socks isn't much better.
It wasn't as bad as i thought it might be and a lot better than 6 weeks ago when I had a flat (goatshead) and decided to walk the 1.1 miles back home in my bare feet. All was well until about 1/4 mile to go when I felt like something was sticking to the bottom of my feet -- turns out both feet were blistered and the skin was coming off. So, when this happened again I knew better than taking my shoes off. Yes, walking in cleats is awkward but manageable.

Brian
Old 10-30-19, 09:58 AM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by ultrarider7
I fell away from biking 22 years ago when I bought a motorcycle. After completing my mid-life crisis, I sold the Harley about 5 years ago and became a true couch potato. This year I got back into riding (sans motor) and I have riden 1390 miles to date.

While I haven't lost a great deal of weight, I have trimmed down from 38" waist to 36". My pounds lost is only 8 pounds, but my face is slimmer as well as other parts. I have far more stamina and less of an appetite that I gained riding the motorcycle.
I've told others that the problem with riding a motorcycle is that the fresh air being forced down your throat makes you feel like you've done something, while in reality all you've done is sit on your arse. I'd love to get back into the 180's instead of my 194 that I am at today.
Exactly. I still have two motorcycles and I do enjoy riding....even at 70. However when I get home from a good ride I really do feel as if I've done something athletic. It may be good for my mind and/or reflexes but in reality it doesn't do much of anything for your cardiovascular system or for weight loss. Still, I wonder some days if I'm going to get taken out by a truck on my bicycle or my motorcycle? Or Grandma/Grandpa on their cell phone?