Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Handle bar changing

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Handle bar changing

Old 07-15-19, 08:19 PM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Handle bar changing

Don't know if this belongs on the "Road Bike" forum, but why do the mechanics on Tour de France change the handle bars so often?
gm
Old 07-15-19, 08:59 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 420 Posts
I hadn't heard that, but I heard they fit a new chain every week, and they do change the bar tape.
Old 07-16-19, 12:57 PM
pvillemasher

Bikes: 1989 Trek 400, 2000 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2013 GT Attack, 2017 Lynskey R250

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I hadn't heard that either. What makes you think they do that gringo?
Old 07-16-19, 02:23 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
thatd be mucho expensive & grande work if that involves new cables with housing too.

Never heard of the bars being changed often.
Old 07-16-19, 08:37 PM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by pvillemasher
I hadn't heard that either. What makes you think they do that gringo?
Maybe the commonpotater said "handle bar tape"and I didn't hear the tape part though I rewound 3 times. The guys a NBC were talking about the mechanic's work, and did mention chain swaps and bike washing and lubing
gm
Old 07-17-19, 01:17 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Handlebar tape, not the handlebars. Stuff gets grimy quickly. Some bar wrap can be cleaned but it's quicker to wrap new bar tape. An experienced mechanic can rewrap a bar in 2-3 minutes, and do a better job than I can fussing over it for an hour.
Old 07-17-19, 05:33 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 347 Posts
Because its the TDF. The best racers in the world. Besides being a race its a big show. Fresh white tape for every stage. And when you win a stage and throw your hands in the air you better have your jersey zipped up and your bars wrapped in clean tape for your photo that will be posted everywhere around the world.

Even as an amateur. I knew a top rider, back in the day, that wrapped his bars in fresh new white Tressostar tape before every race.
Old 07-17-19, 06:08 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I can see changing bars if there's any question as to the integrity of the old bar following a crash or some such... I'd bet that they keep spares for every rider.
Old 07-17-19, 12:35 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Kinda funny to watch older movies of racers. Some of them, like Merckx and Hinault, either did a lot of their own bike building, repairs and maintenance, or supervised it. There's a documentary of Merckx closely supervising saddle adjustments on his bikes, right down to using a level. But even by old school standards Merckx was more of a demanding perfectionist.

Nowadays, at least according to many GCN interviews, most racers say that can fix a flat if they need to but shrug off most questions about bike repairs.
Old 07-17-19, 12:51 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Nowadays, at least according to many GCN interviews, most racers say that can fix a flat if they need to but shrug off most questions about bike repairs.
World Tour Pro racers are paid to ride their bikes, not work on them.
They have expert mechanics, hardware sponsor techs, soigineurs, cooks, doctors and a host of other support staff to take care of the mundane details for them.

Having said that a change of handlebars w/o being involved in a crash is highly unlikely, there would be no reason to on the well fitted and proven hardware in use at the Pro level.

-Bandera
Old 07-17-19, 12:57 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by Bandera
World Tour Pro racers are paid to ride their bikes, not work on them.
They have expert mechanics, hardware sponsor techs, soigineurs, cooks, doctors and a host of other support staff to take care of the mundane details for them.

Having said that a change of handlebars w/o being involved in a crash is highly unlikely, there would be no reason to on the well fitted and proven hardware in use at the Pro level.

-Bandera
Yup, I didn't mean to imply any "Back in my day, ya punk whippersnappers" kinda curmudgeonly rant.

If I was coaching a team nowadays and caught a racer straw-bossing the mechanics I'd suggest he go take a nap or meditate or do some yoga or play some video games. Fortunately most of the current racers appear to concentrate on racing, not wrenching.

Obsessive athletes tend to dissipate not only their physical strength but mental focus as well, unless carefully focused toward a constructive methodology.
Old 07-17-19, 01:02 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
The bikes are part of rolling billboards (bike plus rider) at the biggest cycling event on the planet. Therefore, the rolling billboard must be perfect.

They even have their clothing sponsors on the call to custom make and ship in kit for guys making it to the different jerseys. Helmets, socks, bar tape, special bikes for the jersey holders. Etc...
Old 07-17-19, 02:28 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
I wish I had a soigneur for the everyday "normal" person's lifestyle.
Old 07-17-19, 03:11 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
The relationship that some Pros have with key support personnel extends to the GC winning riders having the pull to take the mechanic and soigneur that they trust with them from team to team and stay together for years, Nibali & Contador being good examples.

For those who have never done tech support for a race team, or those who are like me a bit out-of-date on the current state of the sport, "Bike Mechanic: Tales From the Road and Workshop" by Andres & Dubash gets right out on the pave', in the team cars and shops of the 2014 WT season with great pics and text. Not an easy job....

-Bandera
Old 07-17-19, 04:29 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
And when you win a stage and throw your hands in the air you better have your jersey zipped up and your bars wrapped in clean tape for your photo that will be posted everywhere around the world.
Nah, it's perfectly acceptable for the tape to be covered in blood and dirt at the finish line. Not attractive at the start, though.