Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Happy New Year and BF Roll Call. Who's still here ?

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-15, 12:01 PM
Genaro

Bikes: Motobecane Immortal Force

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Been a while. With school and my recent move,, I'm ashamed to say I haven't ridden but a handful of times since August. Plan on jumping right into it as I dusted off my bike last night.
Old 01-02-15, 11:49 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
I'm here. Tho riding has been not as often as I'd like due to various things.
Old 01-02-15, 11:51 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Sup, G-money?! You jarhead, leatherneck, Oorah, superlifah mutha****ah!!
90 hits on your thread and still nobody home.. tsk tsk...
I'm still round. Very round. Still trying to work off the pounds from when I got hit by a truck and spent two months in a cast playing stupid Xobox. About the same time this happened, more than a dozen great microbreweries opened up within 5 miles of my place. And now that I've paid off the mortgage, I have plenty of beer money.

Foot-cast, great beer, Xbox, extra money = perfect storm of fitness failure.

Whatchu been up to?
Old 01-03-15, 12:48 AM
hamster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm here. In the middle of a grand experiment called "zero to marathon in 2 months". So far the impression is that I can do it but it will be tight (mileage is below target, so far only up to 9 miles in a single workout). Running is surprisingly hard to mix with cycling. Each long run = at least 72 hours of muscle pain (either quads or hamstrings, it seems to vary) during which cycling is not pleasant. Conversely, I tried to do a 2 hour bike ride followed by a long run next day and I had to cut it short at 5k because of aching hamstrings. I try to do long runs spaced 72 to 96 hours, which means that there's basically no room in there for cycling.

The event is on 1/18, after that, if I don't injure myself running the marathon or preparing for it, I'll switch to a saner schedule. Tour de Palm Springs century is in the plans.
Old 01-03-15, 02:07 AM
TJClay

Bikes: Domane Project One, 6 series, Ui2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Still here too. Another year older and slower...
Old 01-03-15, 04:07 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
still here. moved beginning of december and still trying to dial the place in (which will take till april realistically).
hit my beginning of the 2014 year cycling goals in mid-november and cruised to the finish of the year. haven't done
a substantial ride in a month. only did 387 miles last year in january and february combined
so looking for nearly double that this january and february. time to get cracking. i really need to get up to the santa
monica mountains for a century ride.
perhaps a socal forum ride somewhere is in the works-non?
Old 01-03-15, 07:36 AM
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Women! Represent!!

Happy New Year everybody...
Old 01-03-15, 08:44 AM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Still reading. Still not riding enough!
Old 01-03-15, 08:48 AM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
Still here. More bike ridin'...less bike fixin'...bikes pilin' up!
Old 01-03-15, 01:26 PM
knowledgdropper

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL3, Bianchi Cafe Milano

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Still here. Multiple achilles tendon and calf injuries (non-cycling related) have slowed me waaaaay down. I've been relatively pain-free for about a month now (knock on wood), so I'll be slowly ramping up the miles.
Old 01-03-15, 02:14 PM
xcontext
Lynskey road

Bikes: Lynskey, Bianchi Superleggera, Brompton S-2X, Novara Element, some ol' tandem

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Still here. I just got back from Europe where I saw people ride in 3 inches of snow. So now I'm motivated!
Old 01-03-15, 02:16 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I injured my knee doing couch to 5k and am slooooowly getting back on the bike. I think I'll hit the road in about 20 minutes after scarfing down a banana or two, as a matter of fact.

This winter cold snap has made my knee hurt more too. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Happy New Year!
Old 01-03-15, 05:16 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Still here, don't check too often though since it doesn't seem like much is going on.

Here's my cycling year in review that I put on facebook:

It's the end of the cycling year and since all of my cycling fb friends are posting total cycling stats for 2014, here are mine:
Total Miles: 11,425.
Total feet of elevation gain: 730,864.
Total days ridden in '14: 321.
Bicycle commutes to work: 132.
Most Challenging ride: Devil Mountain Double Century (April 13th).
Centuries: 30,
Double Centuries: 7.
Photo from DMD by Victor Cooper.(Biker395 on bikeforums/mnet)
Rick / OCRR
Attached Images
Old 01-03-15, 10:57 PM
hamster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I injured my knee doing couch to 5k and am slooooowly getting back on the bike.
What was the couch to 5k schedule?
Old 01-03-15, 11:13 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Originally Posted by hamster
What was the couch to 5k schedule?
It sounds like you're probably familiar with it, but I was on week 2, which is pretty tame... jog 90 sec, walk 120 or something like that for 20 min, and a 5 min warm up and cool down before and after. My wife had hip replacement 16 months ago and she's doing great with it, but my knee ... lacks cartilage. The total is I think 8 weeks to a 5k. I saw your zero to marathon post and I think some more cartilage fell out of my knee.

I was only doing it so I could do a sprint tri with my family this Feb (race the base in Los Al). It looks like I better ramp up the bike training so I can at least finish in the same calendar day as everybody else.
Old 01-03-15, 11:39 PM
hamster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It sounds like you're probably familiar with it, but I was on week 2, which is pretty tame... jog 90 sec, walk 120 or something like that for 20 min, and a 5 min warm up and cool down before and after. My wife had hip replacement 16 months ago and she's doing great with it, but my knee ... lacks cartilage. The total is I think 8 weeks to a 5k. I saw your zero to marathon post and I think some more cartilage fell out of my knee.

I was only doing it so I could do a sprint tri with my family this Feb (race the base in Los Al). It looks like I better ramp up the bike training so I can at least finish in the same calendar day as everybody else.
I'm not really familiar with running training schedules, I'm mainly operating on the assumption that most of them are full of ***. In part because I don't have 8 weeks to ramp up to 5k and another 16 weeks to ramp up to a marathon after that. My wife ran a 1/2 in Vegas on 11/16 and found out that there's a cool jacket offered as a prize to finishers in Phoenix on 1/18 (but only to those running a full marathon) ... so I thought, what the heck, I'll write a schedule, give it a shot and see what happens. I have a general theory about running training and injuries and I asked because I wanted to see if your case fits my theory. Week 2 injury sounds quite unfortunate. I guess I'm much younger than you? As far as I remember, you didn't look all that old in photos, but both myself and my wife expect to get at least another 20 years out of our original hip joints.

I'd like to do a tri some time too, but I don't know how to swim - or rather, how to swim well. I can do doggy paddle, but anything more complex, like crawl, makes no sense to me. It's a future area of improvement.
Old 01-03-15, 11:59 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

I'm not really familiar with running training schedules, I'm mainly operating on the assumption that most of them are full of ***. In part because I don't have 8 weeks to ramp up to 5k and another 16 weeks to ramp up to a marathon after that. My wife ran a 1/2 in Vegas on 11/16 and found out that there's a cool jacket offered as a prize to finishers in Phoenix on 1/18 (but only to those running a full marathon) ... so I thought, what the heck, I'll write a schedule, give it a shot and see what happens. I have a general theory about running training and injuries and I asked because I wanted to see if your case fits my theory. Week 2 injury sounds quite unfortunate. I guess I'm much younger than you? As far as I remember, you didn't look all that old in photos, but both myself and my wife expect to get at least another 20 years out of our original hip joints.

I'd like to do a tri some time too, but I don't know how to swim - or rather, how to swim well. I can do doggy paddle, but anything more complex, like crawl, makes no sense to me. It's a future area of improvement.
Ah - I'm a special case. I was hit by a car 15 years ago or so (I'm 46 now), and that pretty much nuked the cartilage in my right knee, so running is USUALLY pretty painful after about 100 yards. The couch to 5k is a sort of structured interval training tool you can put on your phone, so I thought it would be a useful motivator. Unfortunately, my knee appears to be the limiting factor, still. I even have a super fancy unloader brace from my last round of surgeries, I thought that might do the trick. Alas.

The tri is only featuring a 200 yard swim, and it's at the end, so i reckon even swimming like a rock will be doable.

My 11 yr old son is a speedy little bugger running (23 min 5k time) and he's a talented swimmer. He likes to ride his bike with me but usually it involves a ton of chatter. If he ever focuses on speeding up, I'm in trouble.
Old 01-04-15, 12:20 AM
hamster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah - I'm a special case. I was hit by a car 15 years ago or so (I'm 46 now), and that pretty much nuked the cartilage in my right knee, so running is USUALLY pretty painful after about 100 yards. The couch to 5k is a sort of structured interval training tool you can put on your phone, so I thought it would be a useful motivator. Unfortunately, my knee appears to be the limiting factor, still. I even have a super fancy unloader brace from my last round of surgeries, I thought that might do the trick. Alas.

The tri is only featuring a 200 yard swim, and it's at the end, so i reckon even swimming like a rock will be doable.

My 11 yr old son is a speedy little bugger running (23 min 5k time) and he's a talented swimmer. He likes to ride his bike with me but usually it involves a ton of chatter. If he ever focuses on speeding up, I'm in trouble.
That sounds interesting. I think I can handle a 200 yard swim without sinking. I'll have to think about it.

23 min 5k is really good, especially for a 11 year old! My best so far is just under 29 on a treadmill and under 30 outdoors (partly I'm not fully adapted to running, partly it's extra weight, which I also can't ditch because I can't train more frequently than I do, and I don't want to diet.)

If you still want to train for the run, try this. Start with the last distance you covered comfortably. (If it was a jog/walk combination, that's fine.) Space runs 4 days apart. No biking the day before or after a run. Increase distance 10-20% every time. Do 30 g of protein powder after every run and once a day on rest days.
Old 01-04-15, 10:54 AM
Lesper4

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale CAAD9 5, 1995 Cannondale CAD F300 hardtail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good luck with the marathon Engine, that is a big jump. I am still trying tot get back into running form from 18 months ago, kjnee hurts.

Hey Genaro, did you move in to the new house? You want to ride around you loop later today?
Old 01-05-15, 09:26 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Still here, don't post as much. This forum isn't as lively as it once was so there's not much reason to check here.
Old 01-05-15, 10:25 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beachgrad05
I'm here. Tho riding has been not as often as I'd like due to various things.

Still here... Beachgrad were you riding through the "Canyon" Sunday?

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 01-05-15, 03:14 PM
Genaro

Bikes: Motobecane Immortal Force

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Calamari - Congrats on paying off your home. I still have 29.5 yrs left on mine. Hope your leg is healing

Hamster - Careful on the training program. I always ramped up for 12 weeks. That is with a solid base. Always used Hal Igdens training program.

Lesper - Yes, moved back in July - missed your post this weekend as I was out of town, but will have to make a trip soon.

Good to see everyone else on here. I've peeked every once in a while and haven't seen much activity. We'll have to change that. Hope to see you guys around!
Old 01-05-15, 04:45 PM
asiantrick

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm here. In the middle of a grand experiment called "zero to marathon in 2 months". So far the impression is that I can do it but it will be tight (mileage is below target, so far only up to 9 miles in a single workout). Running is surprisingly hard to mix with cycling. Each long run = at least 72 hours of muscle pain (either quads or hamstrings, it seems to vary) during which cycling is not pleasant. Conversely, I tried to do a 2 hour bike ride followed by a long run next day and I had to cut it short at 5k because of aching hamstrings. I try to do long runs spaced 72 to 96 hours, which means that there's basically no room in there for cycling.

The event is on 1/18, after that, if I don't injure myself running the marathon or preparing for it, I'll switch to a saner schedule. Tour de Palm Springs century is in the plans.
If I can finish a marathon with a torn meniscus and 6 months after surgery of a ruptured ACL from basketball, you can do it also.

Cut back on cycling and add miles on your run gradually. I was doing about 30-40 miles a week before my 1st marathon. I stop cycling completely to train for the marathon. I'm doing my 3rd marathon (Surf City) coming up next month in Huntington Beach. Good luck with your training.

Last edited by asiantrick; 01-05-15 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-05-15, 08:43 PM
hamster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by asiantrick
If I can finish a marathon with a torn meniscus and 6 months after surgery of a ruptured ACL from basketball, you can do it also.

Cut back on cycling and add miles on your run gradually. I was doing about 30-40 miles a week before my 1st marathon. I stop cycling completely to train for the marathon. I'm doing my 3rd marathon (Surf City) coming up next month in Huntington Beach. Good luck with your training.
Ran/walked 13.1 yesterday. Seems like there's a new and different problem every time I run. This time it's blisters (only started bothering me by mile 10 or so. I blame wrong type of socks.) I try to spread runs far enough to deal with these things one at a time. Two weeks to go. I think I'll try to do 16 or so next weekend and then dial it down.
Old 01-05-15, 11:23 PM
jmX

Bikes: Roubaix / Shiv

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Genaro
Been a while. With school and my recent move,, I'm ashamed to say I haven't ridden but a handful of times since August. Plan on jumping right into it as I dusted off my bike last night.
I'm still here, check the forum a couple time a week. Since co-founding Zwift (game for bicycle trainers) I've ridden very little. I used to be a SART ***** and now I'm out there once every 4 weeks - maybe. Did Mt baldy twice in 2014?

I pumped my tires up this weekend, but I didn't actually ride.

Jon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.