Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

At Work Bike Stuff

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

At Work Bike Stuff

Old 03-02-18, 01:08 PM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey
I'm looking to keep extra "things" at work to support my bike. I can keep these items either near my bike in my office. Just going through what I am considering. Would love your input.

- Full bike pump (I have an extra)
- A few extra innertubes
- Bike wipe down rags
- Chain lube
- Recharge cables for rechargeable lights
- Batteries for rear blinkie

Maybe a small toolkit to make things easier than using the smaller one I carry on the bike?
I only keep two USB charge cables for the lights on the computer and a big chain lock on the bike rack. Your ideas of bringing the extra pump and wipe down rags (paper towel?) are good since you store your bike inside. The bike rack is outside for me so haven't needed them so far (and I have the mini pump in my backpack).

I don't think you'll need the tubes and and chain lube. Well, the tube may not be a bad idea depending on how often you might get a flat. The lube I keep in my car and at the house. I usually only wipe the chain down at those two places and add lube (if needed). Consider getting a rear light with a USB charger. I have a Cygolite Hotshot Pro 80.
Old 03-02-18, 01:13 PM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by ptempel
I only keep two USB charge cables for the lights on the computer and a big chain lock on the bike rack. Your ideas of bringing the extra pump and wipe down rags (paper towel?) are good since you store your bike inside. The bike rack is outside for me so haven't needed them so far (and I have the mini pump in my backpack).

I don't think you'll need the tubes and and chain lube. Well, the tube may not be a bad idea depending on how often you might get a flat. The lube I keep in my car and at the house. I usually only wipe the chain down at those two places and add lube (if needed). Consider getting a rear light with a USB charger. I have a Cygolite Hotshot Pro 80.
Chain lube is probably over-preparing. I am looking at a new rear blinkie as mine is getting corroded internally. I have the Cygolite front lights and do enjoy the usb charging aspect. Additionally I carry a small battery back with me so if I ever mess up I could hook that in for a charge. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 03-02-18, 01:39 PM
WonderMonkey

I don't see the 80 available anymore. The 100 and 150 are less than a dollar different in price, but the 100 has a longer battery life. I'm sure that's due to whatever makes the 100 less than the 150. Either way all reviews for the 80, and even the 2w version are awesome.

I'll pick up the 150 as I can't stand to not be 50 more. Pitiful, right?
Old 03-02-18, 02:24 PM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I don't see the 80 available anymore. The 100 and 150 are less than a dollar different in price, but the 100 has a longer battery life. I'm sure that's due to whatever makes the 100 less than the 150. Either way all reviews for the 80, and even the 2w version are awesome.

I'll pick up the 150 as I can't stand to not be 50 more. Pitiful, right?
Heh. I think you also subscribe to the "not such thing as too much light" theory. Hey, the cars further down the street will *see* you at least. Only complaint I got with the rear light was another rider saying it was "too bright." Well, then he can stop sucking my wheel.
Old 03-02-18, 02:56 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
The only bike-specific thing I keep at work is a spare tube and patch kit, just in case I had a puncture on the way to work. (Upon checking, though, just a 700C tube. I should bring in a 26" and 650B tube just to have all my bikes covered.)

I've thought about getting extra phone/light chargers to leave at work, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm pretty obsessive about charging those things at home.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-02-18, 03:10 PM
RoadKill

Bikes: Specialized AWOL, Specialized Roubaix, Niner Air9, Turner Sultan

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
I only keep some charging cables, a comb, and a backup deodorant in my cube at work. On my bike I carry a multi tool, mini pump, an extra tube and in very rare case of multiple flats I also have a small repair kit. If I manage to need to use tools to fix something I will suffer through with my multi-tool. Only time that didn't work out for me was when a crank arm came loose and I didn't have big enough allen wrench. Luckily for my most desperate situations there is a bike shop about a mile from work on my way home.
Old 03-02-18, 04:10 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
At work; I keep undies and socks. One too many times of forgetting either of those. I can get to my desk if I forget and get them. I used to have a spare floor pump at work but changed buildings and left it behind for a friend who commutes.

On my bike I carry; multi tool, smaller pump, gloves, tire levers and tube. I have thought about carrying a headlamp in case I need to change a tire in the dark but have never put it in the bag. I used to have all that in a tennis tube in a second water bottle holder, but when I put the pump on I took if off and it just sits in the bottom of one pannier. I wish I could get the pump mount and the water bottle cage to play nicely together. (in my opinion that would be ideal)
Yup...I went commando a few times at my last place lol
Old 03-02-18, 07:12 PM
WonderMonkey

Heh. I think you also subscribe to the "not such thing as too much light" theory. Hey, the cars further down the street will *see* you at least. Only complaint I got with the rear light was another rider saying it was "too bright." Well, then he can stop sucking my wheel.
I think "more POTENTIAL" light, is the key. I'd keep the setting on low, but it's good to have that extra power in case I need to help land a plane.
Old 03-02-18, 07:15 PM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
The only bike-specific thing I keep at work is a spare tube and patch kit, just in case I had a puncture on the way to work. (Upon checking, though, just a 700C tube. I should bring in a 26" and 650B tube just to have all my bikes covered.)

I've thought about getting extra phone/light chargers to leave at work, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm pretty obsessive about charging those things at home.
I have the extra room to keep things so I figure "why not"? on a few. Extra tubes, tequlia, essentials like that.
Old 03-02-18, 08:06 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
Yup...I went commando a few times at my last place lol
I've worn my Pearl Izumi tights all day when I discovered my pair of pants had gone home without a replacement.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-02-18, 10:04 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,361 Times in 1,380 Posts
My life has me charging things by USB around the clock, or so it seems, so I have plenty of charging gadgets in the office, on my person, and at home.

At the office, I have a complete change of clothes, and that means shirts, trousers, briefs, socks, shoes. And don't forget the belt. I thought I was ready with my spare set of clothes, but without a belt, I was not presentable or comfortable. I don't remember what I improvised, but I had to buy a new belt just to keep at work.

I keep those clothes because once or twice a year, I get drenched, and I want a complete change.

At my previous job, I would hang my cycling clothes on a tall stool and point a box fan at it so the clothes would dry. I have to think of something like that for my current office.

Unfortunately, I can't bring my bike into my office any more and have to leave it in a rack outside. So there's not much point in having tools or bike supplies.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-02-18, 11:14 PM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by noglider
My life has me charging things by USB around the clock, or so it seems, so I have plenty of charging gadgets in the office, on my person, and at home.

At the office, I have a complete change of clothes, and that means shirts, trousers, briefs, socks, shoes. And don't forget the belt. I thought I was ready with my spare set of clothes, but without a belt, I was not presentable or comfortable. I don't remember what I improvised, but I had to buy a new belt just to keep at work.

I keep those clothes because once or twice a year, I get drenched, and I want a complete change.

At my previous job, I would hang my cycling clothes on a tall stool and point a box fan at it so the clothes would dry. I have to think of something like that for my current office.

Unfortunately, I can't bring my bike into my office any more and have to leave it in a rack outside. So there's not much point in having tools or bike supplies.
Last night I placed an order for a new belt and will keep it at my office as if it's not there. Why? Because I've forgotten my belt when I used to commute.

As far as not being able to keep the bike inside, I still think I'd keep a few things in a desk drawer. I think the minimum would be 1 spare tube. Just to have it. I've never used my on bike spare then needed another before getting home, but I'm going to have it just for fun.
Old 03-03-18, 01:04 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Let me tell you about the time I discovered the jeans I had brought were... my wife's
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 03-03-18, 06:53 AM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Let me tell you about the time I discovered the jeans I had brought were... my wife's
Hopefully when you got home you found a way to blame her for it.
Old 03-03-18, 09:09 AM
lost_in_endicot

Bikes: Electra Loft 7i, Fuji Crosstown 2.5, Gravity Liberty FB, Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
When I had my own QC room, I had a floor pump at work. Now that I'm back out on the floor with my tool chest, I don't have room to store it. I thought about making some kind of clip for it and attach it to the back of my roller cabinet, but I never really used the pump for my own bicycle. Everyone else that rode in would borrow it for their own tires.
Old 03-03-18, 09:35 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
The only bike things I keep at work is a spare pair of underwear, a USB charger and a mat to park the bike on. Other than that, everything else goes back and forth with me.
Old 03-03-18, 04:49 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Hey, worse than forgetting a belt is forgetting pants altogether. It happened to me a few months ago. It was like living that dream we've all had, where we're out in public naked. I wore my dress shirt as a tunic over my tights. I apologized to my boss, but he said it was fine.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 03-03-18, 05:29 PM
WonderMonkey

Hey, worse than forgetting a belt is forgetting pants altogether. It happened to me a few months ago. It was like living that dream we've all had, where we're out in public naked. I wore my dress shirt as a tunic over my tights. I apologized to my boss, but he said it was fine.
I just realized you are in the Bike Commuter group on Facebook.
Old 03-04-18, 11:07 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

I just realized you are in the Bike Commuter group on Facebook.
Yes. What name do you go by there? If you don't want to say here, email me at the address in my signature.

Old 03-04-18, 11:53 AM
WonderMonkey

Yes. What name do you go by there? If you don't want to say here, email me at the address in my signature.
Michael Henry