Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Disc rotor alignment

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Disc rotor alignment

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-19, 08:00 AM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts
Disc rotor alignment

I have a "gravel" bike with disc brakes. I bought a second wheel set/tires and brake discs to have one set up for road and another for gravel. Here is my concern. The new discs sit approximate 1/16 of an inch (maybe 1/32) more inboard than the original discs such that it slightly contacts the inboard pad, regardless of which wheel I put it on. It is as if the disc needs a washer/spacer/shim between it and the wheel To keep it off the pad. As if the housing of the new discs are that little bit more narrow than the original.

Is this a big deal? Little deal? No deal at all? How much "gap" is appropriate between discs and pads?

The Wheel spins freely enough (a subjective evaluation) so maybe the friction (if any) is not an issue. I don't know. Should I just try to adjust the pads in caliper and push the pad away from the disc? If so, how?

Both sets of discs are Shimano 160s. Wheels are thru-axles. I torque to bike's specs.

Thanks for reading.
Old 05-26-19, 08:22 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Option , ( Post mount /ISO style) reset caliper ..loosen bolts hold brake on , while you re tighten those bolts ..

only takes a moment to do..
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 05-26-19, 08:38 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Ah, the cost of improvement.

This is some of the reality of disk brakes with their minimal pad/rotor clearances and varying tolerances of the various parts that make up the system. First- As long as there's no pad/rotor rub all is good. Second- Shims that fit between the rotor and hub are available for fine tuning where the rotor sits WRT the axle end. Third- Whatever you do do will evolve and likely need to be revisited as things wear. Andy
Old 05-26-19, 08:51 AM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by rbrides
I have a "gravel" bike with disc brakes. I bought a second wheel set/tires and brake discs to have one set up for road and another for gravel. Here is my concern. The new discs sit approximate 1/16 of an inch (maybe 1/32) more inboard than the original discs such that it slightly contacts the inboard pad, regardless of which wheel I put it on. It is as if the disc needs a washer/spacer/shim between it and the wheel To keep it off the pad. As if the housing of the new discs are that little bit more narrow than the original.

Is this a big deal? Little deal? No deal at all? How much "gap" is appropriate between discs and pads?

The Wheel spins freely enough (a subjective evaluation) so maybe the friction (if any) is not an issue. I don't know. Should I just try to adjust the pads in caliper and push the pad away from the disc? If so, how?

Both sets of discs are Shimano 160s. Wheels are thru-axles. I torque to bike's specs.

Thanks for reading.
What make/model of brakes? Can you post a picture?

I have TRP Spyre mechanical disc brakes on one of my bikes. When I switch wheels all I have to do is adjust each pad in or out using a set screw - 3 mm allen. I adjust the pads inward until they rub and then back off about 1/8 turn. Simple - takes about 1 minute per wheel.

What tyoe of brake pad adjustment mechanism do your calipers have?
Likes For jlaw:
Old 05-26-19, 10:16 AM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Option , ( Post mount /ISO style) reset caliper ..loosen bolts hold brake on , while you re tighten those bolts ..

only takes a moment to do..
That's what I do, adds about 1 minute with a 5mm wrench to the wheel swap process and works every time. I also have a bigger ring on one of my wheels sets so I end up tweaking my B screw a little too. Neither a big deal.

Last edited by u235; 05-26-19 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-26-19, 11:43 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Ah, the cost of improvement.
If OP has different rim widths, which could be the case since one set is for gravel and one for road, he also would have to adjust rim brakes between wheels. And you have to adjust rim brakes frequently even with the same wheel and rim trueness becomes more important.
Likes For HerrKaLeun:
Old 05-27-19, 05:11 AM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

I'll try that. Thanks for the input.
Old 05-27-19, 05:12 AM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

I'll look for shims that fit. I like this approach as shims will help me adjust for wear over time.
Old 05-27-19, 05:14 AM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Shimano BR RS505 hydraulic that came with the Specialized bike.