Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Please Share This When I'm Killed By Someone Driving A Car

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 07-05-19, 11:15 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 128 Posts

This video was too good not to share. It hits close to home for all of us.

Old 07-06-19, 01:08 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Thanks Phil.

Watched yesterday as a young woman drifted into the lane just ahead of me... holding a cell phone right in front of her face... as if she really could watch the road, and read the phone, at the same time.

Fortunately, she was just ahead, not behind me.
Likes For genec:
Old 07-06-19, 04:59 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 878 Posts
Great post !!!
Old 07-06-19, 04:15 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Well done OP and Phil.
Old 07-07-19, 09:11 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Succinct and to the point.
Thanks for posting.
Old 07-07-19, 02:10 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
Very good!
Old 07-07-19, 03:01 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 89 Posts
I've known several local riders that have been taken out by cars (at least one group was known for sure to have been hit by a texting high school girl). A guy I'd known for years, a good local bike shop mechanic, was hit and hospitalized for a while.
When he finally got his insurance settlement, he used it to by a share in a nice local bike shop, and got himself a mechanics job, to boot !! I saw him on their TV commercials, for years.
When I'm heading home from town, on a winding rural road, I'll pass speed traps from the local cops, and like the selfless, benevolent humanitarian we all know me to be ( ), I'll flash my lights to let them know there's a $300 ticket waiting for them up ahead.
Well, I couldn't even guess at how long it's been since anyone noticed me flashing my lights at them. Every time, I mean EVERY time, I can see the driver looking at their cell phones, never noticing me flashing my lights at them.
The damn things are a plague.
(BTW, I don;t own a smart phone, and don;t even know how to text, LOL! )
Old 07-09-19, 04:15 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Brocephus
I've known several local riders that have been taken out by cars (at least one group was known for sure to have been hit by a texting high school girl). A guy I'd known for years, a good local bike shop mechanic, was hit and hospitalized for a while.
When he finally got his insurance settlement, he used it to by a share in a nice local bike shop, and got himself a mechanics job, to boot !! I saw him on their TV commercials, for years.
When I'm heading home from town, on a winding rural road, I'll pass speed traps from the local cops, and like the selfless, benevolent humanitarian we all know me to be ( ), I'll flash my lights to let them know there's a $300 ticket waiting for them up ahead.
Well, I couldn't even guess at how long it's been since anyone noticed me flashing my lights at them. Every time, I mean EVERY time, I can see the driver looking at their cell phones, never noticing me flashing my lights at them.
The damn things are a plague.
I agree with you fully.

Ironically, I helped develop cell phone technology... and have used/tested them since they were giant bricks. For some reason I have never found a need to text in traffic... and ALL of my limited use of voice has been hands free. (you folks may not have ever seen the early "kludges" that were tested to support hands free use of cell phones.)

Bottom line, ALL the blame for distracted cell phone use belongs to the user, not the phone. Seems lots of people don't have enough discipline to know when NOT to use the darn things... damn lemmings.
Likes For genec:
Old 07-09-19, 04:35 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
I agree with you fully.

Ironically, I helped develop cell phone technology... and have used/tested them since they were giant bricks. For some reason I have never found a need to text in traffic... and ALL of my limited use of voice has been hands free. (you folks may not have ever seen the early "kludges" that were tested to support hands free use of cell phones.)

Bottom line, ALL the blame for distracted cell phone use belongs to the user, not the phone. Seems lots of people don't have enough discipline to know when NOT to use the darn things... damn lemmings.
Fair point, I didn't mean to fully place the blame on the inanimate object, it's just that the cell phone is the medium employed to facilitate the widespread expression of human selfishness and stupidity, so it's the easy target (not unlike the gun control debate, come to think of it). But, as pointed out above, increased penalties will largely just force the user to make greater effort to not get caught. Getting a DUI/DWI is an absolute life wrecker, yet there are thousands of drunk drivers on the road, 24/7.
Given that we're dealing with just another full-blown addiction, I think the problem is here to stay. (I've found i can't turn my brother on to a cool movie, because he can't pull his nose away from his smart-phone screen long enough to actually watch it. I mean, he literally CAN NOT do it.)
Old 07-09-19, 04:52 AM
genec
genec

Fair point, I didn't mean to fully place the blame on the inanimate object, it's just that the cell phone is the medium employed to facilitate the widespread expression of human selfishness and stupidity, so it's the easy target (not unlike the gun control debate, come to think of it). But, as pointed out above, increased penalties will largely just force the user to make greater effort to not get caught. Getting a DUI/DWI is an absolute life wrecker, yet there are thousands of drunk drivers on the road, 24/7.
Given that we're dealing with just another full-blown addiction, I think the problem is here to stay. (I've found i can't turn my brother on to a cool movie, because he can't pull his nose away from his smart-phone screen long enough to actually watch it. I mean, he literally CAN NOT do it.)
Yes, it is amazing how some folks are so drawn to "shiny objects."

I remember early ethical debates we had about various features... GPS was a huge issue... seems that the real ethics issue belongs to the user that can't seem to put their phone down.

I actually was given odd foreshadowing on this, when back in the early 90s, I saw a man ignore his (apparent) child, while in the zoo, while giving full attention to his phone. Of course it could have been his wife explaining why she was leaving him.... I don't know... but was a wicked vision of the future.

I have to admit, I love having the internet in my hand. But... dicipline folks... there is a time and place for everything.
Likes For genec:
Old 08-12-19, 02:54 PM
brooksmurphyt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for sharing this! We need more awareness on this issue.
Old 08-13-19, 12:19 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
You don't get any bragging rights then. I do own a smartphone and I do know how to text. I even know how to use speech to text. But I will not interact with my smartphone while driving a vehicle. That puts me in a tiny minority it appears. Something like 9 of 10 drivers WILL interact with their phone if it pings while they are driving. 9 of 10. At that point you simply have to stop blaming drivers and come up with a different solution! Drivers can voluntarily enter themselves into programs that defeat their phones while in motion . Why voluntary? Are you allowed to defeat the airbag system in your car? The little display that comes on when you go into reverse? Safety should not be optional. All smartphones can detect when they are in a vehicle and when they receive texts they should automatically send a response to the texter to that effect. A passenger in a vehicle should want to support the driver and not defeat the feature but on a road trip situation I get that passenger access to the texting and GPS (and other) functions of the phone might be necessary. Easy enough to allow override of the lockout. I'm way ahead of you ... if a driver defeats the lockout, jail them. Period. Once a few drivers receive very public prison sentences of 60 days for a 1st offense there would be a marked reduction in smartphone distraction while driving.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 08-14-19, 07:20 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
You don't get any bragging rights then. I do own a smartphone and I do know how to text. I even know how to use speech to text. But I will not interact with my smartphone while driving a vehicle. That puts me in a tiny minority it appears. Something like 9 of 10 drivers WILL interact with their phone if it pings while they are driving. 9 of 10. At that point you simply have to stop blaming drivers and come up with a different solution! Drivers can voluntarily enter themselves into programs that defeat their phones while in motion . Why voluntary? Are you allowed to defeat the airbag system in your car? The little display that comes on when you go into reverse? Safety should not be optional. All smartphones can detect when they are in a vehicle and when they receive texts they should automatically send a response to the texter to that effect. A passenger in a vehicle should want to support the driver and not defeat the feature but on a road trip situation I get that passenger access to the texting and GPS (and other) functions of the phone might be necessary. Easy enough to allow override of the lockout. I'm way ahead of you ... if a driver defeats the lockout, jail them. Period. Once a few drivers receive very public prison sentences of 60 days for a 1st offense there would be a marked reduction in smartphone distraction while driving.
Definitely, the solution is clearly one more unenforceable law. Good luck getting the automatic jailing past your legislature, but even if this gets passed, are cops going to be pointing disable phone detectors at cars?

The other problem with these sorts of legislated technical fixes is that you just create a commercial incentive for someone to design a product that skirts around the edge of the law. Technology moves too fast for the laws to keep up.

It's a serious problem, but the electronic distraction genie is out of the bottle, and there's no simple way to put it back in.

The little reverse display is optional, and airbags do need to be switched off under some circumstances.
Old 08-18-19, 10:49 AM
anon06

Bikes: Giant Cypress

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Good video! The guy's right: it's horrible and disgusting how articles and others write headlines and articles that automatically blame a cyclist or pedestrian who was killed. It's the same thing that's done to dog bite victims--who were women and children--who were mauled to death by a stranger's dog(s), while walking, minding their own business, living next door, etc., who didn't provoke or harass the dog(s): dog owners aren't blamed in articles and headlines.

So, some dog owners continue to let their dogs loose and think that their dog won't bite, anyone (even though some dogs have even bitten their owners, who also thought their dog wouldn't ever do that to them).
Old 08-20-19, 07:44 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
You don't get any bragging rights then.
Sure we do. (I'm in the same minority as Brocephus)

We're not part of the problem being discussed.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 08-20-19, 08:51 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
"Please share this when I'm killed by someone driving a car"

If you look at statistics, chances are high that no one will need to share it for you.
Old 08-21-19, 01:44 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Here's another video, that was asked to be shared.

No cyclists involved, its still a reminder of just how easy it is to become a statistic.

The ugly side of driving is ever present.