Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Fasted vs HIT

Old 07-10-19, 03:09 PM
EuanTait

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fasted vs HIT

Hi guys I would just like to ask because I'm unsure which one is best for Fat loss.

I'm trying to maintain, if not improve my physical shape as it is fairly toned however that does not mean there is no room for improvement.
Old 07-11-19, 07:41 AM
CyclingFever
I got a fever.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Whatever you will keep with over the long-term.
Old 07-11-19, 07:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by EuanTait
Hi guys I would just like to ask because I'm unsure which one is best for Fat loss.

I'm trying to maintain, if not improve my physical shape as it is fairly toned however that does not mean there is no room for improvement.
You're going to have to be a lot more specific. What do you mean by fasting? Intermittent fasting? Extended fasting? How long? Obviously, if you go without intake of calories, you will lose weight, but there's a reason anorexia is considered an eating disorder, you can do yourself great harm.

If you're talking about intermittent fasting, which is basically just confining your eating to certain times of the day, I know people who swear by it, and I doubt you can do yourself any harm. If you're talking about not eating for several days at a time, please don't try this. More likely, you'll lose a lot of muscle tissue, and if you carry it to an extreme, one of those muscles is the heart.
Old 07-11-19, 08:56 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Try to 'empty the tank' once in a while: https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/l...-strava-367378
Old 07-11-19, 09:08 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Fasting will likely help you lose weight if you reduce your overall caloric intake.

Really, you're barking up the wrong tree. Unless you're riding 5-8 hours a day AND restricting calories (no desserts, fried foods, etc.), bicycling or any form of exercise isn't going to help you reduce body fat.

Change your diet to change your weight. Ride the bike for fitness and health.
Old 07-11-19, 09:14 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
HIT is a benefit in itself, and you should do some every week. I don't think there is any long-term benefit to fasted training or fasting in general. I try to do a little bit of fasted training just to try to get fat adapted, but that doesn't help people that don't ride fairly long miles.
Old 07-11-19, 09:57 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,436 Times in 1,737 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Unless you're riding 5-8 hours a day AND restricting calories (no desserts, fried foods, etc.), bicycling or any form of exercise isn't going to help you reduce body fat.
I see that "bicycling won't help you lose weight" argument all the time, and I can't understand the basis for it.

If you ride about 10 hours per week, and you maintain your current calorie intake, that ought produce a weekly deficit of at least 5000 calories, equal to about 2 pounds of body fat.

My iOS Health app says my average daily combined resting and exercise energy expenditure is about 3400 calories/day. Just to maintain my body weight, I need to eat a 4th meal before bedtime.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-11-19, 09:58 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
You're going to have to be a lot more specific. What do you mean by fasting? Intermittent fasting? Extended fasting? How long? Obviously, if you go without intake of calories, you will lose weight, but there's a reason anorexia is considered an eating disorder, you can do yourself great harm.

If you're talking about intermittent fasting, which is basically just confining your eating to certain times of the day, I know people who swear by it, and I doubt you can do yourself any harm. If you're talking about not eating for several days at a time, please don't try this. More likely, you'll lose a lot of muscle tissue, and if you carry it to an extreme, one of those muscles is the heart.
Using "fasted" rather than "fasting," I understood the OP to be talking about fasted rides, which are essentially getting up and going for a longish ride at moderate pace in a fasted state. I do these often, especially in the winter and early spring. Get up, drink a mug of black coffee, and ride at tempo or less for 90-120 minutes. Then eat. You are training yourself to become more efficient at using fat rather than glycogen for fuel.

That's a different thing than going for days without eating.
Likes For caloso:
Old 07-11-19, 11:03 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
I see that "bicycling won't help you lose weight" argument all the time, and I can't understand the basis for it.

If you ride about 10 hours per week, and you maintain your current calorie intake, that ought produce a weekly deficit of at least 5000 calories, equal to about 2 pounds of body fat.
Using that math, and since I didn't start eating more as I increased my cycling (I'm actually eating less now), over the last 15 years, I now should weigh negative 1200 pounds. Since my weight is significantly more than -1200 pounds, and is, in fact, positive, there's a problem with the math.
Old 07-11-19, 11:15 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,436 Times in 1,737 Posts
Using that math, and since I didn't start eating more as I increased my cycling (I'm actually eating less now), over the last 15 years, I now should weigh negative 1200 pounds. Since my weight is significantly more than -1200 pounds, and is, in fact, positive, there's a problem with the math.
If your weight didn't drop after you increased your exercise, then you increased your calorie intake.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-11-19, 11:46 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
A tip on the HIIT I didn't know about until recently. If you want to supercharge the session, toss in a reasonable length SS effort after your HIIT sets. 5min minimum. 10min preferable. It'll suck. But it's a different energy system.

Something about the HIIT mobilizing some kind of fat energy in your body during the tougher HIIT part. Then actually using some of it up with the SS at the end instead of it just reattaching somewhere.

That sounds very unscientific, but that's the gist of what was in the podcast.

I think the fasted rides may be more about teaching your body to operate efficiently and powerfully using fat more than getting skinnier. Not totally sure, but thought so.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 07-11-19, 12:11 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
I don't buy the teaching ones body to burn fat theory.

In practical terms, going forward it would only apply if on a regular basis you did not provide the body with carbs/sugars. As soon as you reintroduce those more easily accessible fuels the body will choose that pathway over burning fat. far better to just find a workable balance of food sources and create a long term sustainable lifestyle around their consumption.

The big problem with all these diet and exercise fads is that they are unsustainable (or not sustained) long term.
Old 07-11-19, 12:34 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

The problem with the math may be that you reduced your activity in some other area, or your calories before you were biking were more than enough to sustain your weight.

Losing weight itself also tends to reduce your calorie needs for any given activity, which is why dieters often plateau after an initial weight loss.
Old 07-11-19, 01:11 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
If your weight didn't drop after you increased your exercise, then you increased your calorie intake.
This. Lots of people end up consuming more without realizing it. A little bit more cereal in their bowl at breakfast, a high calorie drink instead of their normal coffee, some small snacks throughout the day, giving in to temptation and getting fries instead of salad as your side.

I do suspect, that adding exercise often causes a subtle increase in hunger, and therefore eating, which negates much, if not all, of the expected weight loss.

Exercise definitely burns calories, which definitely leads weight loss as long as your diet is kept constant. But, I think most people, myself included, don't pay enough attention to their diet to really say if it is being kept constant.
Likes For OBoile:
Old 07-12-19, 07:36 AM
CyclingFever
I got a fever.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
A balanced healthy diet without excess calories is the way to lose weight. It's hard to lose weight and training at a high level because you need the calories to maintain energy levels. It
s easier to focus on one.
Likes For CyclingFever:
Old 07-12-19, 08:26 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
If you're only 16, then it's a good start to establish good habits before your bad habits take over as you get older and life gets in the way of sensible eating and exercise.

Cut out the fast food and sugar intake - and beer too.

Keep up with the bike riding being a part of your day instead of viewing it as specifically for exercise. That is, reduce your dependancy on your car ( if you have one).

Last edited by Daniel4; 07-12-19 at 09:41 AM.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 07-12-19, 12:38 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
To quote author Michael Pollan: 'Eat food*. Not too much. Mostly plants.'

*Actual food is prepared from ingredients, not taken out of a box and microwaved.

Concentrate on being fit and healthy and don't worry about weight; that'll happen (or not) on its own.
Likes For Korina:
Old 07-12-19, 01:01 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by caloso
Using "fasted" rather than "fasting," I understood the OP to be talking about fasted rides, which are essentially getting up and going for a longish ride at moderate pace in a fasted state. I do these often, especially in the winter and early spring. Get up, drink a mug of black coffee, and ride at tempo or less for 90-120 minutes. Then eat. You are training yourself to become more efficient at using fat rather than glycogen for fuel.

That's a different thing than going for days without eating.

Thanks, I never heard the term "fasted ride" before, but that makes sense.
Old 07-12-19, 05:47 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by EuanTait
I'm trying to maintain, if not improve my physical shape
I have been an IF'er for 4 or 5 years, always work-out | ride, run, swim, weights | in a fasted state. The issue for me was to develop what is commonly referred to as a metabolic flexibility, and I have always suffered wild insulin spikes ingesting sugar and carbs during the day. I can pack on fat just by smelling a loaf of bread.

After a long run I'll use a protein shake for recovery, but that's when it seems necessary.

It works for me, but generalizations about fasting are difficult to support. I doubt many people would be comfortable running 3 miles before work, then putting in a full day without food until 5:30pm. Additionally, I don't consider it a viable competitive athlete diet. Endurance efforts, maybe; IF'ing seems to have become a fad in the endurance running game, as is high fat diets.
Old 07-12-19, 08:13 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Try to 'empty the tank' once in a while: https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/l...-strava-367378
30mph ave? Thats a bit high for the distance for an average joe.