Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Do you guys ever actually ride on the beach?

Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Do you guys ever actually ride on the beach?

Old 07-31-17, 12:03 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Fresh water wash down, ASAP, is probably needed..
Old 08-01-17, 02:24 PM
HBCruiser1

Bikes: 3G Isla Vista Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Nighttrain
It's good to read many beach cruisers see the beach. I've a
4 yr old Bildabike (aluminum frame) that rarely rolls on the beach and a 3G cruiser (rescued from a trash pile) for beach rides. I live 2 blocks from the beach on Isle of Palms.

Post-ride maintenance: fresh water mist/rinse being mindful around hubs/headset/bottom bracket, spray wax, wipe dry, WD 40 to diplace moisture on moving parts, silicone spray on other exposed metals (WD 40 evaporates too quickly). I also switched to KMC rustproof chains on wife's Bildabike and my 2 cruisers. Love these chains.

Aside from buying a cruiser with sealed bearings does anyone else have good ideas for beach dwelling cruisers?
That all sounds like a lot of work! I'm lazy and come to love the rusty patina. When I've ridden on the sand I just put the bike away like any other day after a ride. With the miles I ride (3-5k per year) replacing chains and re-lubing the wheels and BB is just a matter of time. If I had to do all that work after the ride, I wouldn't want to ride on the sand! Occasionally I'll take the chain off and give it a good soaking but chains are cheap, why bother. My time is becoming too valuable to mess with cleaning, just swap it out.
Old 08-02-17, 12:43 PM
Nighttrain

Bikes: Pinarello Prince that's cracked at the bb weld

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by HBCruiser1
That all sounds like a lot of work! I'm lazy and come to love the rusty patina. When I've ridden on the sand I just put the bike away like any other day after a ride. With the miles I ride (3-5k per year) replacing chains and re-lubing the wheels and BB is just a matter of time. If I had to do all that work after the ride, I wouldn't want to ride on the sand! Occasionally I'll take the chain off and give it a good soaking but chains are cheap, why bother. My time is becoming too valuable to mess with cleaning, just swap it out.
I hear ya about time. The rinse/wax/dry/lube routine is only after long beach rides and takes less than 10 mins. After many years of riding dirt bikes a post-ride cleaning just feels normal.

Anyone have a portable repair stand they've used and recommend?
Old 08-22-17, 09:10 AM
Philphine

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by BassNotBass
That portion that went from Portland, along and behind Shawnee Golf Course over to Shawnee Park has been shut down for years now (I'm sure the golfers are happy about getting rid of the rabble on their bikes). I guess the city just didn't want to pay to keep the paved trail cleaned anymore. It was such a nice section too.
i think i only rode that section once when it was actually open (wasn't riding much then). or it may have already been closed but not too bad to ride yet. i don't remember.

that last time though a few years back, the trail dissapeared compleatly. i ended up, like i said, in an area where it looked like mountain bikers probaly played around in the sand. but i couldn't find the trail out going west. i ended up kinda just nowhere behind the gold course and had to wade through tall grass 'til i found the trail again kinda at that point where the golf course fence is. where they added the big barracade.

haven't ridden the riverwalk in a few years (part health, part time). they seem to have given up on that section. i wish they'd try something to bring that part back.
Old 08-29-17, 01:27 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Nighttrain
I hear ya about time. The rinse/wax/dry/lube routine is only after long beach rides and takes less than 10 mins. After many years of riding dirt bikes a post-ride cleaning just feels normal.

Anyone have a portable repair stand they've used and recommend?

I think I've bought a chain maybe twice...maybe it was used one time.

What is the wax for anyway? I did that once, because it was 35 years old and a gift to someone.

The nearest sand is at Lucky Peak reservoir and I've never ridden there.
Old 08-29-17, 08:54 PM
Nighttrain

Bikes: Pinarello Prince that's cracked at the bb weld

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
I think I've bought a chain maybe twice...maybe it was used one time.

What is the wax for anyway? I did that once, because it was 35 years old and a gift to someone.

The nearest sand is at Lucky Peak reservoir and I've never ridden there.
Water beads up and rolls off waxed metal faster. Less water=Less salt. But I use it because like the way carnauba car wax makes my bike smell.
Old 09-03-17, 07:24 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Oh nevermind.
Old 09-07-17, 10:59 AM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
One of the best and most tenacious rust preventatives ever... not always a good thing.
Old 09-07-17, 11:31 PM
bobbyeye

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the ride of a good beach cruiser. I have a electra I have put many miles on.
Old 10-08-17, 06:49 PM
Bholio

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
My beach bike is a folding MTB for storage reasons. No idea how long it will last, but I'm using my fathers trick of spraying the whole thing with silicone spray before folding it up and putting it away. A recent mishap caused it to be submerged in the ocean just above the bottom bracket and axles for a few moments, no idea how much damage was done. Will know in a few weeks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20170918_123136 (Large).jpg (272.9 KB, 202 views)
Old 10-09-17, 08:16 PM
BikeRider3000

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not near a beach

I am at least six hours from the beach. I consider my "beach cruiser" to be just a comfortable bike with a retro look.
Old 11-03-17, 10:45 PM
rodteague
Enjoying the ride

Bikes: 1986 Raleigh Technium 440, 1989 Bianchi Alante, 1991 Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Never, have enough trouble keeping rust off my bike without the added hassle of sea water

Regards

Rod
Old 07-14-19, 07:29 PM
flatrockmobile

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
Yes. Ponce Inlet, Florida. When we are there I ride daily. I like to ride early before it gets too hot, but will ride on the beach later in the day when the tide is lower. If it's too hot, I'll park the bike and take a dip in the ocean, cool off and ride some more.
Old 07-15-19, 12:56 PM
dbf909

Bikes: '79 Schwinn LeTour IV, '11 Giant Roam1, '17 Specialized Pitch Comp, '18 Marin Hawk Hill 1, '15 Giant Defy1, '17 Jamis Earth Cruiser1 (x2)

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I ride New Smyrna Beach between Ponce Inlet and Canaveral National Seashore on a regular basis. Early mornings are best to avoid the heat in the summer and the wind can get rather stiff later in the day. However, much of the 20 miles or so in that stretch is not easily rideable at (or near) high tide due to the soft sugar sand up near the dunes and seawalls so I try and time my rides with the tides. The rest of the tide cycle rewards with nice hard packed sand for the entire stretch. On occasion I ride up north of Ponce into Daytona Beach as well.

I've been riding on the beach in this area since the 60's. Typically 10-15 miles per day. Some days as much as 25 miles.

I picked up a couple of Jamis Earth Cruiser 1's a couple of years ago at Bob's in Port Orange. Since they are essentially all alloy construction I just hose/rinse them off after each ride and store them inside out of the salt air. Over 2 years of use and many hundreds of miles and they are like new - even the chains aren't rusty.

Near Low tide...

Ponce Inlet - south side looking north...

Last edited by dbf909; 07-15-19 at 01:20 PM.
Likes For dbf909:
Old 07-15-19, 01:24 PM
flatrockmobile

Somebody in our condo bought 4 Earth Cruisers. 2 male, 2 female. I'm just starting out but I'm up to about 7-8 miles per day, mostly from North Turn to the lighthouse park area and around the neighborhoods and marinas. Occasionally I'll ride on the beach. Looking forward to moving down full time, probably the middle of next year...then it's on.
Old 07-15-19, 01:27 PM
flatrockmobile

Love the pics. It's a beautiful little slice of nirvana! A lot of people cycle regularly.
Old 07-15-19, 01:32 PM
flatrockmobile

My current ride - a freebee from the inlaw's shed in Lakeport...on Lake Okeechobee

Last edited by flatrockmobile; 07-15-19 at 01:35 PM.
Likes For flatrockmobile:
Old 07-15-19, 09:42 PM
dbf909

Bikes: '79 Schwinn LeTour IV, '11 Giant Roam1, '17 Specialized Pitch Comp, '18 Marin Hawk Hill 1, '15 Giant Defy1, '17 Jamis Earth Cruiser1 (x2)

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Nice ride.

I've been going to Daytona since the early 60's with my family for summer vacation. Then in '84 I moved to South FL and have lived here ever since. However, I bought a place on the beach in New Smyrna in 1991. The area has changed quite a bit in the last 50 years (few places haven't) but I still love it. I spend a lot of weekends and a few full weeks there throughout the year. Unfortunately, its a 3.5 hour drive each way so it isn't as convenient as I wish it was - it's a bit of a commitment to get in the car and go.

I mostly ride the beach but only recently have discovered a few hidden places around town off the beach that are fun to explore.

Last edited by dbf909; 07-15-19 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-16-19, 03:27 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
Nope, I live in CO
Old 07-16-19, 05:05 PM
coopman

Bikes: Specialized Roll Sport Low Entry and Bianchi Super Pista

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 44 Posts
My neighborhood streets are my beach.
Old 07-17-19, 10:10 AM
BeginnerInFL

Bikes: Electra Cruiser 7D

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Not yet but I plan to!
Old 07-17-19, 10:17 AM
BeginnerInFL

Bikes: Electra Cruiser 7D

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by george25923
I have ridden on the beach for years. I just check the tides and ride only at low tide on the hard packed sand and not in the water. You have to push the bike thru the soft sand to get to the hard packed sand. Last beach ride was from Patrick AFB to Port Canaveral, about 13 miles. I live about 6 miles from the Atlantic Ocean and about 10 miles from Port Canaveral. I always wash off the bike after a beach ride.
Enjoy
Em
Sounds so fun!
Old 07-17-19, 08:26 PM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
I spent four days and nights over the forth of July long weekend at the beach at a friends house..
We rode twenty to twenty six miles every day riding on the beach or on the beach trail. It was fabulous!
Old 07-19-19, 12:54 AM
bianchibike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, depends on beack could be eithe fun or disaster
Old 07-31-19, 03:53 PM
bfuser191509248

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 27 Posts
Never have taken my bike to the beach (about a 40 minute drive over the Santa Cruz mountains). I envy those with easier access. Maybe someday my wife and I will move even closer to the coast, which we love to visit. I think I'd prefer to ride on a paved trail, though, and keep the bike further from the water.

The local creek trail has been my favorite route. About 20 miles total, with a net elevation change of about 300 feet. Much more practical for me (I was in my 40's and 50's when I was doing it regularly) after having a Shimano Nexus 7-speed IGH installed.

Likes For bfuser191509248:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.