Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Weight Loss Club

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Weight Loss Club

Old 08-31-02, 08:10 PM
AnnieYak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today I went shopping!! wee hoooooo.... a smaller size... and 1800 miles under my bike shorts... but it is more than size or weight, it is how strong the heart is that matters to me.. Oh!! and of course... when I am on the bike, how much less my legs bang my little tiny not so tummy... but getting smaller all the time!

Wow, so wonderful to hear such wonderful stories.... Big HIGH FIVE for the HEALTHY GROUP!

Annie:fun: :fun:
Old 09-02-02, 02:38 PM
ChipRGW
hehe...He said "member"

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TM,
That's because there isn't anything bad to say about it!

They (WW) have an online group you can join if you or someone you know is interested. It may help although I find the group meetings to be the crutch I need most weeks.

ChipRGW
Old 09-02-02, 07:46 PM
Brian_T

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out this software:

https://www.dietpower.com

If you're familiar with the Little Green Book idea from LanceArmstrong.com late last year you'll have an idea of what this program can do.

Pick your target date, target weight, input a few physical details about yourself, and you're off to the races.

I've dropped from 215 to 170 so far and should be at pre-season weight (from many, many pre-seasons ago) in another couple of weeks--ahead of schedule.

Download the demo and give it a try.
Old 09-03-02, 10:40 PM
L41

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the Weight Watchers program as well. There is so much sense built into it. I had no understanding of portion control or what a balanced diet looked like until I first went to WW back in the 80's, when they did an exchange-type plan, and you had to eat liver every week. (As people here know, a portion is not what they put on your plate at a restaurant. Some of my otherwise intelligent friends think that the food pyramid 6 servings of grains is the equivalent to 6 restaurant servings of pasta, or 6 Einstein's bagels, ect.)

The program encompasses a wide variety of eating styles, I am vegetarian, and have no trouble using their food plan for meals. They allow for people that do better with a higher proportion of carbs vs protein, or vice versa, and leave that to the individuals discretion what works best for them, along with whether you do better with several larger meals or multiple mini-meals. In some of their more recent plans, they allow for more calories for larger people, with decreasing amounts of calories as you lose weight. This makes sense because a larger person requires more base calories (I can't remember what that is called), and increasing the calorie level keeps the weight loss to a safer, slower rate, which is more appropriate and less likely to run into health issues. (Ironically, gallstones, one of the risks of obesity, can also be caused by too rapid weight loss, especially on an excessively low calorie/low fat plan.) They also allow more calories for more active people, encouraging people to excercise beyond their minimum recommendation of 30 minutes a day.

I tend to more of an unprocessed food diet; people who can't manage without processed foods are accomodated equally well. I notice though, as people spend time in WW, even if they started out with a preference for processed food, many of them move away from it as they figure out they will have more satisfying meals if they make the switch. I think it's pretty neat how that works, without ever telling them they'd be better off without the processed foods!

I think they have a wonderful, well-considered program, the only thing I don't like are the crowded meetings, which are usually not all that useful to me, some of the topics are pretty trivial, and some of the leaders aren't that good. Nonetheless, I am suddenly getting a hankering to renew my membership that I let lapse 7-8 months ago or so!
Old 09-04-02, 12:17 AM
L41

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, and by the way, the 100+ discussion forum on the WW site really rocked the last time I checked it out (it's been some months.)

That was where I found out about 9/11 - I was reading the forum that morning, and had no clue about what was going on, and suddenly people were posting about it.
Old 09-04-02, 02:17 PM
bpherson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Way to go Chip!!

I don't know if you read back a bit, but I too was over the four century mark a year and a half ago.......I know how it is to feel that way. I'm not part of WW, but do what's working for you. Congrats on a great job.

On another front....did I read here about "bonking"? I'm not sure that's what it is called, but I did a couple of mornings last week where I ate jsut a little bit and then did a big ride...... 30+ miles. I was amazed at the results. I lost over 7 pounds in a weeks time. I'm not sure if it was a fluke or not....so I thought I would try it again. I'll let you know.
On the down side, my wife is worried that I am going over board, but I'm not sure. I felt great afterward and have not bee n sore or fatigued. Any suggestions or comments??

Great job every one and keep it up!!

Brad
Old 09-11-02, 04:18 PM
ngateguy
Center of the Universe

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo, Norvara Intrepid MTB , Softride Solo 700

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lets see about 175 miles a week on the bike 4 days of weight training and 6 years later -60 pounds and I can eat just about anything I want ain't cycling the best. That doesn't even cover the change in attitude and outlook Oh yeah this last summer I did my first century ride 200 miles 2 days a childhood dream not bad for an old (46) fart
Old 09-11-02, 05:11 PM
tmayder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the Weight Watchers program as well. There is so much sense built into it. I had no understanding of portion control or what a balanced diet looked like until I first went to WW back in the 80's, when they did an exchange-type plan, and you had to eat liver every week.
L41, you provoked memories I had not thought about in years. I remember going to a WW meeting for the very first time in the mid 70's (I think). I actually went with a friend because I needed to lose 10 pounds. You paid by the visit back then and I lost the weight in one week. I remember the liver and the regimented menu that included unflavored Knox gelatin. More than anything else, I will never forget the woman who conducted the meeting. She was more like a drill sergeant. She yelled at some people who said their doctor told them their medication was causing them weight gain and she yelled at people who had any type of excuse at all for even maintaining the same weight from the previous week. She accepted nothing and demanded that you stood up and announced that you are fat because you were not following the plan. I'm really glad things have changed since those days.. LOL! I visited a WW a couple of years ago and yes, they have a great program now.

Cheers!
Linda
Old 09-22-02, 09:24 PM
Mike Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its really great to read all these success stories. It really shows how great biking is!

I started this spring at 238 lbs, no longer able to fit into the 38" pants, in the hospital with chest pains. Turns out it was only work related stress. I got back on my 24 year old Releigh and started on 2 to 4 mile rides. When I got up to 10 miles per day, I decided to invest in a new Trek 5200. I have almost a 1000 miles on the Trek now and I'm down to 193 lbs, and just squeezing into the 33" pants. My goal is to drop another 20 lbs by the end of the year and confortably fit into 32" pants. I have hit a plateau that I can't seem to get under in the past few weeks. Its discouraging, but I'm keeping my head in the game.

I eat a lot a fruit, as much as I want. When ever I am hungry. Also, I drink fluids constantly. Dropped as much bread as possible. The big thing I really try to do now is only eat till the hunger goes away and never eat after 9 PM. I wish my kids would stop leaving candy around!

Keep it up everyone! Your success really encourages me!!!
Old 09-22-02, 10:43 PM
The Speaker Guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice to see other members of this club.

I started with simply diet. I went on Atkins for 3 months, dropping from 290 to 250lbs. I then started cycling again, and have further dropped to 230lbs. I don't have a specific target, but I do want to improve my strength and endurance further.

I recommend the Atkins Diet to other people. It is not a panacea, but it does put you in closer touch with nutrition. If possible I still avoid carbs unless I am going riding.

Breakfast each morning is usually a protein shake with added wheat bran and a banana blended in. The low carbs in this is sufficient for the energy I expend at work each day.

Bike to eat!
Old 10-03-02, 12:44 AM
fietser_ivana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycling has been a success story for me as well, but only as long as it lasts.
in 1996 I became a catholic vegetarian, or as some say, a pescarian. At the same time I took up cycling in the weekends in addition to commuting. Then, I happened to get a 5-mo. stint for which I had to cycle a total 40K/day to/from 2 railway stations, broken up in 4 fractions.
Unfortunately, I was not able to find a job that offered a similar commute later on, though the typical 2x10K commute to the railway station remained (the other station was mostly close to the job). However, in 1997 I stepped up the distance by cycling more in the weekends and finally cycle-touring for 4,5 mo. in NZ and Oz and lost even more weight and also had to give up my pescarian lifestyle for lack of proteins.
Since then I haven't cycled as much and probably for wasted muscles gained weight rapidly.

My main problem has been the too large difference between weekly distances in summer vs. winter, when everything is dark and gray and there are no organized bike rides being done..
summer distance are hence extreme caused by the randonneuring I started to do in 1996 and kept doing until 1999 when I participated in Paris-Brest-Paris.
However, when I DNFed for that one in 1999, I rapidly gained weight to my pre-cycling weight and up till now have not been successful to keep it off, despite a full year of cycle-touring in 2000-2001 and some other largish bike tours since then..
Why? The tours are for a specific period, after which the weight piles back on in frightening speed.
The only solution is year-round cycling.. and for lack of a suitable commute, it's got to be the spinning classes.. but even these take a winter break around X-mas (put on 5 kg in just 2 wks)..
Sigh! Now I'm going to try the Cyclic Ketogenic Diet as I'm still 12 kg overweight, despite 3 mo. of cycle touring (only net loss of 5 kg).

Fietser
Old 10-04-02, 06:31 PM
wabbit
Sprockette

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was actually cheered this week.

I went to the gym today and weighed myself on an accurate scale. I have lost 12 lbs.

I can now wear a skirt that I haven't worn in 2 years! Which means I have lost a size.

I did notice that I have to really work on toning my arms and abdominals, but my upper body is much leaner. It's like the fat I did have melted off during the summer. It's not like it just happened- this is the result of 5200 kms!

The best part is wearing that leather mini. I never thought I'd get it over my butt again!
Old 10-04-02, 06:47 PM
fietser_ivana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by wabbit
I was actually cheered this week.

The best part is wearing that leather mini. I never thought I'd get it over my butt again!
Congratulations!!!!
Old 10-04-02, 11:26 PM
The Rob
Almost Immortal

Bikes: 2004 Trek 7500FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm frickin' stuck! Lost a lot of weight over the last year-and-a-half and was pretty regular with the work-outs at the gym until the spinal surgery. Since then I've regained a couple of bad after-dinner eating habits, though it hasn't resulted as yet in any appreciable weight gain. Still, I'm not ready to "plateau", dammit! I want it all OFF! I realize that this leveling-off is normal and I have to train the body over time to shed more of the excess, but it's frustrating. :irritated

-Rob (Damn those peanut M&Ms!)

https://blog.myspace.com/robcatg

https://therob.wordpress.com
Old 10-10-02, 09:04 PM
Andy Dreisch

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yo y'all. I'm down to 215 now, from about 223-225. My pants are falling all about me. My goal is 210.

Secret? Nothing really. Lots of fruits and veggies throughout the day. Lead off with Fs & Vs for your dinner, then move on to other goodies. Cut down on the beers.

I've been doing more biking in preparation for a century, but not much more than before.

See ya when I hit 210.
Old 10-12-02, 08:26 PM
Trigger1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At 6'6", 250lbs and 20% body fat, my main goal is to reduce the bodyfat to around 15%. I don't have the will power to diet strictly enough to go lower than 15%. I believe that this will get rid of the unsightly areas. I'll let ya'll know when I get there. While we're on the subject anyone know how many extra miles a mexican dinner is gonna cost me?
Old 10-13-02, 10:05 AM
Bikerchick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can anyone tell me how to lose weight by cycling. I rode about 2000 miles this summer and haven't lost a pound! I'm so hungry all the time, and if I don't eat right while I'm riding, I bonk. I am 5'4'', almost (omigod) 50 and about 40 lbs. overweight. I really want to lose a lot of that 30-40 lbs. by next summer because we have big riding goals. and I know if I was lighter I'd be faster.
So I'd really like some suggestions, please!:confused:
Old 10-13-02, 11:01 AM
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
But if those 2000 miles weren't hard pressed and you didn't maintain a high heart rate that body fat isn't going anywhere. You need to constantly push to pedal harder and faster.

Otherwise you may be in a situation where math will help. Count your calories for 2 weeks. Figure out what you eat exactly and drop that by 2500calories a week (approx 1 pound). You should start to see a difference. If you don't loose anything you a) either aren't going hard enough to up you heart rate or b) you didn't drop your calories enough and are still eating too much or c) you are eating crappy foods which doesn't help at all.
Old 10-13-02, 11:04 AM
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally posted by Trigger1
At 6'6", 250lbs and 20% body fat, my main goal is to reduce the bodyfat to around 15%. I don't have the will power to diet strictly enough to go lower than 15%. I believe that this will get rid of the unsightly areas. I'll let ya'll know when I get there. While we're on the subject anyone know how many extra miles a mexican dinner is gonna cost me?
You have a nice advantage. You have some degree of muscle mass (your stats are almost exactly the same as mine) this makes burning the extra calories pretty easy when the need arrises.

Best of luck and enjoy the biking. As for number of calories. If you are doing tough mountain biking 1.5 hours of cycling should do it for you. Otherwise you may have to go longer
Old 10-13-02, 12:12 PM
The Rob
Almost Immortal

Bikes: 2004 Trek 7500FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Bikerchick
...So I'd really like some suggestions, please!:confused:
I can only tell you what works for me in having lost 60 lbs in about a year. I read labels religiously. The saturated fat percentage is what I've watched most. If it's over 5 grams, I'd rather not eat it.

You might also mind the carbs you take in toward the end of the day. Carbs are important if you use them during physical activity, but eating a high-carb dinner in the evening and then sitting around for the rest of the night before bedtime in effect turns your body into a sugar factory and fat warehouse. Many people have seen success in upping their protein intake and cutting back on carbohydrates toward the end of the day. Everyone is unique, however, and before any dietary plan is initiated it's always wisest to consult a physician.

Good Luck!

-Rob

https://blog.myspace.com/robcatg

https://therob.wordpress.com
Old 10-13-02, 06:06 PM
threadend
Career Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Bikerchick
Can anyone tell me how to lose weight by cycling. I rode about 2000 miles this summer and haven't lost a pound! I'm so hungry all the time, and if I don't eat right while I'm riding, I bonk. I am 5'4'', almost (omigod) 50 and about 40 lbs. overweight. I really want to lose a lot of that 30-40 lbs. by next summer because we have big riding goals. and I know if I was lighter I'd be faster.
So I'd really like some suggestions, please!:confused:
Don't give up, I put on over 5000 miles last year and didn't lose a pound either This year I adopted a structured training program in conjunction with using a heart rate monitor (HRM) and I've managed to drop 20 lbs. since April. I'm still on the see food diet and on about the same mileage pace as last year, so it has to be the training structure that's making the difference.

I think a HRM is key to gaining an understanding of how hard to work on the hard rides & more importantly, how easy to take it on the easy rides.

Be prepared to ride through the times you hit plateaus and even pick up weight as you convert "other" body tissues to muscle.

Know that cycling is the absolute best long term weight loss and weight maintainence activity you can possibly be involved in...and if all else fails, blame your ancestors for your lousy genes
2003 Iceman Challenge - 2:34:55 - 897 / 2,000*
2002 Iceman Challenge - 2:39:23 - 1093 / 2,186
2000 Iceman Challenge - 2:49:18 - 1516 / 2,153
*estimated
Old 10-14-02, 03:08 PM
Big Johnson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been cycle commuting for about three months now, and put in on average 65-80 miles per week. It took a while before any wieght started to come off and in fact, I actually gained wieght the first month. My legs got huge and my waistline shrank, but I still gained wieght. I finally managed to lose 25 lbs when I started eating tons of pasta and rice and plenty of veggies. I don't believe the Atkins diet is appropriate for cyclists, it didn't work at all for me. I'm down to 220 from a high of 245 on my 6'2" frame.
Old 10-14-02, 03:35 PM
webist
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Maelstrom
Count your calories for 2 weeks. Figure out what you eat exactly and drop that by 2500calories a week (approx 1 pound). You should start to see a difference. If you don't loose anything you a) either aren't going hard enough to up you heart rate or b) you didn't drop your calories enough and are still eating too much or c) you are eating crappy foods which doesn't help at all.
Good post. However, a pound is actually 3500 calories.
Old 10-14-02, 10:41 PM
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally posted by webist

Good post. However, a pound is actually 3500 calories.
I knew my math didn't sound right. And I was way too sick to look it up at the time. Thanx for the correction
Old 01-19-03, 09:10 AM
IowaParamedic
Velolutionary

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Finally, I have success to post.

I have lost 40 lbs since Thanksgiving. I started at 294 and I am down to 254 on a 6' frame. My weightloss may seem rather rapid for 2 months or so, but I have the weight to lose. Natrally, I have been slowing from 10 lbs per week to 7.5 lbs per week once I crossed 260.

What I did:

Food log: (sounds delicious, how do I cook a food log) It is not detailed, but I write down everything that goes in and my weight

Weigh 2 x per day: I can tell if what I ate was too much. I know how much I metabolize during the night by stepping on the scale morning and bedtime.

Water: 8 or more 16.9 bottles of H2O. Many times, I think I am hungry, and I am really thirsty. (must learn to pee from bike)

Food: I eat anything I want. I just eat until I am full. I had to learn the feeling of fullness, not just finishing what was on my plate.

No finger food. Everything is on a plate eaten with untensils.

Exercise: 60-120 minutes per day cardio & weights. Spinning class 2 times per week. Using a HRM too.

In a nutshell, that is my plan.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.