Search
Notices
Manufacturer, Retailer, Survey and Consumer Feedback As a manufacturer or retailer, do you want opinions and feedback on your products or services? Members, do you have an open letter to publish? Here's a place for both sides of the industry to communicate. Also, surveys and Student Data Colllection projects go in here.

Intercoms: Couples/Pairs/ Groups needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-17, 04:02 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Intercoms: Couples/Pairs/ Groups needed

I've been discussing intercoms with a bicycle intercom manufacturer, and anyway, the upshot is they are looking for some "Touring Ambassadors" who do a lot of touring from the USA and Europe to use their products while touring, take and send some nice pics in cool places wearing their shirts (well I'm guessing that's what they want) or their blogs, and passing out free shipping coupons to any tourers they meet. They want couples or groups (can pair up to 4 intercoms) obviously, as an intercom ain't much use with nobody to talk to... anyway, if you are interested, PM me...
Old 03-22-17, 04:06 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
What's the name of the manufacturer? My wife and I wouldn't qualify as "ambassadors," but we'd be really interested in an affordable bike intercom system that actually works.
Old 03-22-17, 09:40 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
How big are these things? I can see the use of intercoms on a motorcycle, not so much a bike. What are the headphones like?
Old 03-24-17, 01:58 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

These ones are made by Vertix, called the Velo. The unit weighs 50g. They have a whole bunch of different headphones, some that mount on a helmet with the unit on a bracket and the speakers away from the ears, mountain bike ones that sort of plug into the ears and what looks most useful to us tourers, a couple of different over ear types. I haven't actually used these ones in anger yet, so it'll be interesting to see how they go. Compared to the Climder ones I've used previously, these are much fancier, with voice activation and noise cancelling, they also look a lot better built. I still have to properly check the range, but if they are anything like the Climder, it'll be around 300m and up to 500m. Looks like the www.vertixglobal.com website is being rebuilt right now, but they are on Facebook.
Having toured with intercoms a couple of times now, I wouldn't be without them. Makes riding with others much more pleasurable, no more stopping, arm waving and pointing. You can ride along and have a normal conversation.
Old 03-25-17, 01:39 AM
Trevtassie

Nobody wants free stuff?
Old 03-25-17, 01:42 AM
MediaCreations 
Marathon Cyclist

Bikes: Road Bike / Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd grab a bunch of them for my group ride across Australia next year but they're only for USA and Europe.
Old 03-26-17, 01:09 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
You had me intrigued for a bit, but ultimately it is one more thing I need to keep charged, already a pain with my phone and a GoPro.

Wouldn't hurt if there was actual info on the product past me having to google two year old blogs, too.
Old 03-26-17, 01:37 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5772 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,420 Posts
I'm the wrong guy for this, because one of the main things I like about bicycling and scuba diving is the silence.

However, having led trips and knowing that there's sometimes the need for communication, I can appreciate that some may want something like this. So here are so observations, and possible objections.

1- it's something carried on the head. To me, who gets hot and sweaty, this is a MAJOR issue. I'd much prefer some bike mounted directional microphone, either voice activated, o by a HB mounted button. Otherwise, except for some very limited purposes, the headset is a deal breaker.

2- Range. For it to be useful for road and touring, it would need decent range because riding "together" doesn't imply close proximity. If it could reach 1/2 mile or so there would be some utility, but if extended range depends on a cell phone, might as well skip this and just use the phone.

3- as mentioned, battery life is an issue, one more device to manage.

Lastly, I know that many people like to "stay connected" these days, and will find utility in being able to do so. So I guess there's a market, but the benefit has to be greater than the issues it presents.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-26-17, 03:05 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
Meh. When I/we have gone on group rides/tours, it's always been a group of pretty good friends and we basically are never more than a few yards apart. For us it's a solution in search of a problem. And another piece of complication to keep charged, etc.

For other folks who do things differently, maybe.
Old 03-27-17, 12:19 AM
Trevtassie

OK, so now we've got the people who don't want an intercom out of the way...
I guess I'm spoiled, got a Forumslader, so never out of power...
Old 03-27-17, 12:39 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by MediaCreations
I'd grab a bunch of them for my group ride across Australia next year but they're only for USA and Europe.
Well that lets Rowan and me out too.
Old 03-27-17, 05:47 AM
leanneg

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My experience with handhelds is that most of the places you think they'll be useful in (remote areas with no cellphone service) they don't work. Why? Because of terrain. Most portable communicators are just not that powerful, and things like woods, hills, and mountains shrink their already limited range to something almost useless.

I also can't see wanting to wear a headset all the time while biking. Just... no. The amazon description says: "Filter out unwanted noise with Cut-the-Noise technology." That seems like a terrible idea. There's a reason I don't wear noise canceling headphones while cycling, and it's because a lack of situational awareness might see me squished like a bug under a motor vehicle.

I could see these being somewhat useful in a couple different scenarios: 1, a cyclist who wants to communicate with their sag vehicle more conveniently. 2, Cycle tour guides who want to talk to each other while they're at the front and the back of a tour group. There are probably other scenarios, but I can't see small group cycle touring as one of them. Wearing them just so that you can chat all day while riding a bike isn't very appealing either - as anyone who has traveled for any time in a small group knows, if anything you get tired of having to talk to each other after a while of spending all day, day after day, together.
Old 03-27-17, 07:40 AM
Trevtassie

Originally Posted by Machka
Well that lets Rowan and me out too.
Yeah, two lots of Tasmanians is probably a bit specific, pity you aren't in Canada still.
Old 03-27-17, 07:56 AM
Trevtassie

Originally Posted by leanneg
My experience with handhelds is that most of the places you think they'll be useful in (remote areas with no cellphone service) they don't work. Why? Because of terrain. Most portable communicators are just not that powerful, and things like woods, hills, and mountains shrink their already limited range to something almost useless.

I also can't see wanting to wear a headset all the time while biking. Just... no. The amazon description says: "Filter out unwanted noise with Cut-the-Noise technology." That seems like a terrible idea. There's a reason I don't wear noise canceling headphones while cycling, and it's because a lack of situational awareness might see me squished like a bug under a motor vehicle.

I could see these being somewhat useful in a couple different scenarios: 1, a cyclist who wants to communicate with their sag vehicle more conveniently. 2, Cycle tour guides who want to talk to each other while they're at the front and the back of a tour group. There are probably other scenarios, but I can't see small group cycle touring as one of them. Wearing them just so that you can chat all day while riding a bike isn't very appealing either - as anyone who has traveled for any time in a small group knows, if anything you get tired of having to talk to each other after a while of spending all day, day after day, together.
Why is that people that aren't interest in taking up the offer, and obviously have no experience riding with a similar intercom feel compelled to comment, since they obviously don't particularly like talking to people?

Me, I've seen a lot more because of being able to talk or hear straight to or from my partner "wow, look at that over there" or "watch out for the next wuckfit, he just close passed me" right at the moment. All without having to look around and shout. Now I've used one I wouldn't be without it, so much so I've managed to convince a company to give away a few free sets to others to use and enjoy, now isn't that nice...
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 03-27-17, 08:03 AM
leanneg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie
Why is that people that aren't interest in taking up the offer, and obviously have no experience riding with a similar intercom feel compelled to comment, since they obviously don't particularly like talking to people?

Me, I've seen a lot more because of being able to talk or hear straight to or from my partner "wow, look at that over there" or "watch out for the next wuckfit, he just close passed me" right at the moment. All without having to look around and shout. Now I've used one I wouldn't be without it, so much so I've managed to convince a company to give away a few free sets to others to use and enjoy, now isn't that nice...
You did ask.

Nobody wants free stuff?
Old 03-27-17, 08:10 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Because it is another PITA ill-conceived piece of junk no one wants on a bike ride. Most people who like to talk to other people can use a cell phone, which they probably already cary, and can put in their ear-buds whenever they feel like endangering their lives and filling their ear-canals with inane blather emitted from other people's vocal cords.
Old 03-27-17, 08:12 AM
Trevtassie

Originally Posted by wgscott
Because it is another PITA ill-conceived piece of junk no one wants on a bike ride. Most people who like to talk to other people can use a cell phone, which they probably already cary, and can put in their ear-buds whenever they feel like endangering their lives and filling their ear-canals with inane blather emitted from other people's vocal cords.
Yeah, I can see why nobody would want to listen to you... and it's pretty clear you've never used one and have no idea about how much they do and don't block your hearing.
Old 03-27-17, 08:14 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Well, it would give me a brief sense of pleasure turning the thing off.
Old 03-27-17, 09:46 AM
leanneg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I can see why nobody would want to listen to you...
(...)since they obviously don't particularly like talking to people?
Is this really necessary? You posted an advertisement for a product on a discussion forum (yes, a company looking for "touring ambassadors" is advertising. This isn't a company giving away its product for free, it's a company that is willing to sponsor cyclists with product in exchange for product promotion. That's economic exchange, not philanthropy), and people have been discussing why they would or would not be interested in using and/or promoting that product. Just because someone doesn't like something that you apparently have some personal investment in, doesn't mean they're anti-social or deserve to be personally attacked.
Old 03-27-17, 01:07 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I don't even carry my AM radio with me anymore.
Old 03-29-17, 02:15 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by leanneg
Is this really necessary? You posted an advertisement for a product on a discussion forum (yes, a company looking for "touring ambassadors" is advertising. This isn't a company giving away its product for free, it's a company that is willing to sponsor cyclists with product in exchange for product promotion. That's economic exchange, not philanthropy), and people have been discussing why they would or would not be interested in using and/or promoting that product. Just because someone doesn't like something that you apparently have some personal investment in, doesn't mean they're anti-social or deserve to be personally attacked.
+1

Trevtassie ... how about being an "intercom ambassador" instead of abusing everyone.
  • Post a good link to the website(s)
  • Post a photo of the unit(s) in action
  • List the benefits
  • Tell us how much it really weighs. No way would anyone want something that weighs 50 grams attached to their helmets. I had a light that weighed about that ... one ride and that was it. We found lighter lights.
  • Market the thing!
Old 03-30-17, 06:36 PM
Trevtassie

I'm not all that fussed. If you need convincing then you're probably not going to want to be an "ambassador". I thought it was pretty cool a company is willing to give away a few units for not much in return, so why not see if anybody wants some.
Me, I reckon intercoms are the best thing since sliced bread if you are touring with anybody else, and I've got no problem promoting them because I do that anyway, because pretty well everybody we meet says something like, "wow, you can talk to each other easily, cool".
Anyway, it looks like they've sorted their website out. https://www.vertixglobal.com/collections/velo I'm not sure what they are sending out, but I suggested the ones in a pouch make more sense to tourers, so you can use it in a shop without wearing a helmet while the other person waits outside with the bikes - "don't forget to get some rolled oats". We even split up in supermarkets and use them to talk across the aisles.
Old 04-03-17, 12:57 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Originally Posted by wgscott

I'm just loud and you can't get me to shut up.
Old 04-03-17, 01:00 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Nobody wants free stuff?

I saw no bacon.

I also need to find somebody to ride with, that would be a dating site.

I should get a Honda Aspencade or Harley, that would work even better to get somebody to ride with.

(Can't hear yourself think on those, you need a headset)

PS I already have Aspencade buckets, they are supposed to get mounted on my Schwinn.

I'm sorry I'm a tough crowd. Somebody help them out.

Last edited by Rollfast; 04-03-17 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-03-17, 01:09 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by Rollfast
Somebody help them out.
Sure.

Which way did they come in?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.