Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

WTB stronglight crank puller

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-17, 07:03 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts

I've managed to survive with park puller and use the side designed for TA cranks but I know that's just asking for trouble. So it's time to get a stronglight crank puller since I'm building up a Peugeot PR 10.
Old 07-18-17, 10:08 AM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Bought mine straight from the JAStein website. cheaper than the same tool elsewhere.
Old 07-18-17, 10:14 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I bought one of these:

2in1 Stronglight Specialites T.A. removal remover crankset Arm Puller Tool NEW | eBay

and it's pretty cool.
Old 07-18-17, 11:21 AM
bikemig 

Thanks, looks like I'm buying a new one. The double sided one (TA and stronglight) from Poland looks interesting!
Old 07-18-17, 12:42 PM
9volt 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
Thanks for the link. Heads up to OP only 1 left right now
Old 07-18-17, 02:37 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Originally Posted by 9volt
Thanks for the link. Heads up to OP only 1 left right now
I bought the last one a couple months ago! He's making more, I'm sure.
Old 07-18-17, 04:20 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
I saw those double pullers and was intruiged but I already have a proper puller from JA Stein and two TA pullers so it didn't make much sense.

Going with the double Stronglight/TA puller is definitely more cost effective. But if you were in the market for an excellent puller, JA Stein actually has listings up most of the time now for his pullers on eBay: jastein on eBay

He started listing a month or two ago for $35/ea. Those sold out lightning fast and he re-listed a few auctions at $38. He's now got them at $38/obo with free shipping, I'm guessing he'd probably take $33-35 for them if you offered.
Old 07-18-17, 04:46 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
I have one of these double-sided ones from Poland, and I have to ask the others on the thread -- did you have success with the Stronglight side? I've only used mine once, and I had trouble threading mine into my Stronglight 93. Not wanting to strip the crank threads by forcing it, I used the other side, which threaded in easily -- clearly the TA side, with the 0.35mm smaller diameter -- and pulled the cranks that way. Should I have braved it with the Stronglight side, even though it was giving me resistance?
Old 07-18-17, 04:49 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by noobinsf
I have one of these double-sided ones from Poland, and I have to ask the others on the thread -- did you have success with the Stronglight side? I've only used mine once, and I had trouble threading mine into my Stronglight 93. Not wanting to strip the crank threads by forcing it, I used the other side, which threaded in easily -- clearly the TA side, with the 0.35mm smaller diameter -- and pulled the cranks that way. Should I have braved it with the Stronglight side, even though it was giving me resistance?
The TA side can work on Stronglight cranks. I've used a TA puller for a long time on Stronglight cranks but it's a bad idea. They are different and sooner or later bad luck will catch up with you. That's why I'm finally getting a proper Stronglight puller. I didn't realize JA stein was still making pullers but that's the one I'm going to get.
Old 07-18-17, 05:02 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
The TA side can work on Stronglight cranks. I've used a TA puller for a long time on Stronglight cranks but it's a bad idea. They are different and sooner or later bad luck will catch up with you. That's why I'm finally getting a proper Stronglight puller. I didn't realize JA stein was still making pullers but that's the one I'm going to get.
I guess what I'm getting at is -- is my experience with resistance on the Stronglight side a common thing, or is it a sign of the quality of the workmanship on the Polish tool? Admittedly, I'm kind of a weenie when it comes to wrenching, and that may be a factor in my backing off of the Stronglight side, but I think some degree of weenie-ness is warranted with vintage French crank threads. Just curious to know if others had luck with the Polish tool.
Old 07-18-17, 05:16 PM
bikemig 

I guess what I'm getting at is -- is my experience with resistance on the Stronglight side a common thing, or is it a sign of the quality of the workmanship on the Polish tool? Admittedly, I'm kind of a weenie when it comes to wrenching, and that may be a factor in my backing off of the Stronglight side, but I think some degree of weenie-ness is warranted with vintage French crank threads. Just curious to know if others had luck with the Polish tool.
I wouldn't force a tool in. You need to rely on a sense of feel to ensure that the tool is going in right. My guess is that there is a problem with the tool but getting the seller to warranty the tool may be difficult.
Old 07-18-17, 05:31 PM
Iowegian

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
My experience is that some Stronglight crankset tools are tough to thread in. I've had the best luck with a Stronglight branded tool but I have a JAStein tool now that I use and it is sometimes hard to thread in. If the 23.00 TA tool fits without any 'slop' I'd go ahead and use that, as long as it doesn't take too much force to remove the crank from the BB spindle.

I also find all tolerances on older bikes are wider than the newer stuff so it pays to have a bunch of tools to find the one that fits just right. That and having a sense of how much is too much, whether it is the force required to thread in the tool or the force required to break the crank arm free from the spindle helps too.
Old 07-18-17, 07:10 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
I measured the TA (TA) and Stronglight (Stein) pullers I have yesterday, as it happens, and the OD of the TA was 22.7 mm, while the Stronglight was 23.3 mm. I was wondering if the latter wasn't a bit big to fit 23.35 mm threads. Now I'll have to get out some cranks and check that, especially since I plan on building a bike soon with vintage Stronglight cranks.
Old 07-19-17, 05:55 AM
jcb3

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
+1 on the Polish Stronglight puller. I have one and it works well.
Old 07-19-17, 09:37 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

I have heard of a lot of variance in the threads on Stronglight cranks. There are threads on this forum where people have found Stronglight cranks that fit the TA puller but not the Stronglight one; and even one where an older Stronglight crank fit a standard 22 mm puller. I can't explain any of this.

I can tell you I used to have a couple Stronglight 93 cranks and a TA puller and I used the TA puller countless times to remove my Stronglight cranks, and it worked fine. Until one day it didn't; the puller started to pull the threads out, not the crank. I stopped before the damage was too catastrophic, and after that damage was done, a proper Stronglight tool still worked.

So, to answer you question as clearly as possible: no idea, but I have used the Polish tool once or twice, on a Stronglight 49d crank; I have not yet used it on a TA crank.