Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

I found the answer to weight loss

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

I found the answer to weight loss

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-18, 06:22 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Not sure what it'll do for weight change but I'm going to try something myself-- I'm pretty sure I can go 6 mos. faithful to about anything that I think may be a healthy choice so... for at least that long... I'm going to abstain 100% from eating anything fried. So, I guess no mas fish and chips. I think harder than that-- infrequent as it may be -- is just saying "no" to potato chips and onion dip. That'll hurt a little. Ooops-- no more nachos. Ouch!
Old 05-23-18, 08:40 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
People make this way too complicated. If you want to lose weight, eat fewer calories than you burn. If you want to gain weight, eat more calories than you burn. It's that simple.

I think part of what's going on is the diet industry wants to sow confusion. If people think there's all kinds of magic involved, they'll pay someone else to tell them what to do.
Old 05-23-18, 09:54 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
I seem to digest food fast. I get hungry very soon after meals. I've done religious fasts, not for nutritional reasons. They are very hard for me, and I won't fast unless I need to. But everyone is different. Lucky for me, I don't struggle with my weight.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-23-18, 12:07 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest

I think part of what's going on is the diet industry wants to sow confusion. If people think there's all kinds of magic involved, they'll pay someone else to tell them what to do.
I think you're 100% correct. We all know what you have to do, but the standard method of eating healthy is boring and doesn't sell.
Old 05-23-18, 12:41 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by OBoile
I think you're 100% correct. We all know what you have to do, but the standard method of eating healthy is boring and doesn't sell.
And there isn't a lot of profit in healthful foods.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 05-23-18, 12:47 PM
comfortlynumb85

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great advice!
Old 07-18-18, 01:58 PM
Hello07

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Eat less until you cut the word over from overweight. After cutting the word over, you should eat enough foods that your body needs not less and keep moving so that the word over doesn't come back to the word "weight".
Old 07-19-18, 01:54 PM
fstrnu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started eating less and drinking beer but then they told me beer is food
Old 07-22-18, 07:00 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I think the answer to weight loss is nachos and beer.
Old 07-22-18, 07:13 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by fstrnu
I started eating less and drinking beer but then they told me beer is food
Beer is liquid food... It contains carbs and some vitamins and minerals ...Some of the beers I drink have 245 calories per bottle.
Old 07-24-18, 02:03 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Beer is the anti-diet, liquid bread. I have been somewhat successful the last 6 or 8 months in getting my weight to currently under 150 (was 165+) and though I'd like to credit my steely determination, thoughtful dietary choices and dedication to hard physical training, I note that those periods when there was no beer in the fridge corresponded to actual fat loss.
Old 07-24-18, 03:09 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Beer is the anti-diet, liquid bread. I have been somewhat successful the last 6 or 8 months in getting my weight to currently under 150 (was 165+) and though I'd like to credit my steely determination, thoughtful dietary choices and dedication to hard physical training, I note that those periods when there was no beer in the fridge corresponded to actual fat loss.
Exactly. Which is why I have switched to Bushmill's.
Old 07-24-18, 03:47 PM
Oso Polar

Bikes: Trek 3500, Jamis Renegade Escapade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 43 Posts
Just one slice of white bread: 43 g of which 22 g are carbs, 120 calories (https://www.arnoldbread.com/products.../country/white). One whole 12 oz bottle of beer: 10.6 g carbs, 145 calories (https://www.budweiser.com/en/our-beers.html). So, not exactly "liquid bread" unless you drink it by six packs daily. Still, many people believe (and you also say the same) that beer really slows down weight loss. May be there are some other properties to it apart from pure calories that cause this effect? I don't drink much beer, so it didn't affect anything for me. I guess one bottle a month or two doesn't count...
Old 07-27-18, 07:54 AM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by Oso Polar
Just one slice of white bread: 43 g of which 22 g are carbs, 120 calories (https://www.arnoldbread.com/products.../country/white). One whole 12 oz bottle of beer: 10.6 g carbs, 145 calories (https://www.budweiser.com/en/our-beers.html). So, not exactly "liquid bread" unless you drink it by six packs daily. Still, many people believe (and you also say the same) that beer really slows down weight loss. May be there are some other properties to it apart from pure calories that cause this effect? I don't drink much beer, so it didn't affect anything for me. I guess one bottle a month or two doesn't count...
My preferred lager has 12-14 carbs, 140 calories, and I see that a large slice of white bread has 15 grams of carbs and around 80 calories.
Old 07-27-18, 01:15 PM
Oso Polar

Bikes: Trek 3500, Jamis Renegade Escapade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 43 Posts
Well, I don't know what they count as "large slice of white bread", that's why I gave data directly from manufacturers of rather popular bread and beer. Anyway, this is not the point - there are plenty of beers that contain less than 100 calories per bottle - what I wanted to say is that 1 slice of bread is roughly 1 bottle of beer, give or take. In my experience people that eat a few (or way more) slices of bread every day are way more common than people that drink few bottles of beer every day though YMMV. E.g. red wine contains about twice the calories of beer. Yet many, many people say that drinking beer is very detrimental for weight loss, more so than wine. From pure calorie perspective it should be otherwise. So, what makes beer so special?
Old 07-27-18, 03:50 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4423 Post(s)
Liked 4,527 Times in 3,029 Posts
In the 1970s when I was in elementary school fat kids were rare. Maybe one or two out of 500. We drank full sugar caffeinated cokes ( in Texas, Coke can be Pepsi, Mt Dew, Sunkist etc etc ) We had milk break where we would down a lot of chocolate milk. But we played before school, during milk break after lunch then after school before the buses were there. Ran like horses when we got home. Today you see fat kids everywhere playing video games, stuck on the latest I phones or whatever. Sitting in the a/c all summer and being inactive. Not all kids of course but many. We were too active to be thinking about food and when we were hungry we were starving. We definitely burned off everything we ate. Eat less move more makes sense to me and I got that from that MAD TV skit from around 1994 or so. I watch the video clip from a previous poster.
Old 07-29-18, 05:52 AM
US27

Bikes: 2016 TREK 1.1 + 2020 TREK EMONDA ALR 5

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
In the 1970s when I was in elementary school fat kids were rare. Maybe one or two out of 500. We drank full sugar caffeinated cokes ( in Texas, Coke can be Pepsi, Mt Dew, Sunkist etc etc ) We had milk break where we would down a lot of chocolate milk. But we played before school, during milk break after lunch then after school before the buses were there. Ran like horses when we got home. Today you see fat kids everywhere playing video games, stuck on the latest I phones or whatever. Sitting in the a/c all summer and being inactive. Not all kids of course but many. We were too active to be thinking about food and when we were hungry we were starving. We definitely burned off everything we ate. Eat less move more makes sense to me and I got that from that MAD TV skit from around 1994 or so. I watch the video clip from a previous poster.
This is true. I was born and raised in Texas 1970s-1980s where Coke can be Pepsi. We had good coaches too. If we weren't playing football our coaches would damn well steer us into cross country and track. Our high school football coaches started us younger kids distance running outside in hellish Texas heat as early as the 4th grade. God bless them for that! Decades later many of us remain lean and active and we eat and drink however much and whatever we want.
Old 07-29-18, 08:53 AM
wphamilton

Don't forget that in the 70's a "Large" coke was 20 ounces at the most, "regular" was 16 ounces, and you'd generally only have one of them. I worked in my father's small cafe in a small town near San Angelo TX while I was in HS in the 70's, so that's something I'd naturally pay attention to, and it was pretty much standard throughout the state. Later, the drink sizes tended to get ridiculously large (from my perspective) - "Big Gulp" etc - that became "normal" and I have always been convinced that it was a large factor in the increased incidence of obesity. And of the consequent evolving perception of "normal" body composition.

A second factor, in the rural areas there was primarily agricultural work if a kid wanted to make some extra. And some construction or roughnecking, in that region, all of which tended to be fairly steady physical work. Most everyone did some actual work now and then, and a pretty good percentage were working fairly steady. I still recall being somewhat shocked, my first semester of college in San Angelo (still in the 70's) at how round and "fat" most of the students were there.
Old 07-29-18, 09:08 AM
wphamilton

Well, I don't know what they count as "large slice of white bread", that's why I gave data directly from manufacturers of rather popular bread and beer. Anyway, this is not the point - there are plenty of beers that contain less than 100 calories per bottle - what I wanted to say is that 1 slice of bread is roughly 1 bottle of beer, give or take. In my experience people that eat a few (or way more) slices of bread every day are way more common than people that drink few bottles of beer every day though YMMV. E.g. red wine contains about twice the calories of beer. Yet many, many people say that drinking beer is very detrimental for weight loss, more so than wine. From pure calorie perspective it should be otherwise. So, what makes beer so special?
Eating a lot of bread is just as un-helpful for weight loss. Beer tends to be "extra" though, and (by typical serving) will have more calories and carbs than wine. The typical 4 or 5 ounces of wine in a glass vs 12 in a beer, the glass of beer has more calories and more carbs than the glass of wine.

Like I said, I'd dearly love to take credit for a gradual weight loss, citing self-discipline and strength of character, but it DID correlate with "no beer in the house", and yes I did have wine and did have a glass or two now and again.
Old 07-29-18, 09:40 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Eating a lot of bread is just as un-helpful for weight loss..
It depends on what type of bread you eat, what it's made from, and what do you mean by "a lot" ??...I just don't see anything wrong with eating real bread made from wholsome ingredients...The modern paleo movement has done a great job in demonizing food which humans have been eating for at least
15 000 years.
Old 07-29-18, 09:59 AM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by wolfchild
It depends on what type of bread you eat, what it's made from, and what do you mean by "a lot" ??...I just don't see anything wrong with eating real bread made from wholsome ingredients...The modern paleo movement has done a great job in demonizing food which humans have been eating for at least
15 000 years.
I'm talking about the processed white bread that you get inexpensively in the store. Which more or less is about half of all types of bread consumed in the US. I'll use a couple of slices on my sandwich most days, or on a cheeseburger, just like anyone else. A few more slices than that is "a lot". The issue isn't demonizing bread so much as consuming calories with not a whole lot of other nutritional value (in the regular white bread), and you'd tend to consume more to compensate. The same thing applies, to my thinking, if you have a beer or wine because you're hungry and it kind of satiates it.
Old 07-31-18, 08:23 AM
fstrnu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My preferred lager has 12-14 carbs, 140 calories, and I see that a large slice of white bread has 15 grams of carbs and around 80 calories.
First example is half the carbs and same calories and second example is same carbs and twice the calories. Where are the extra calories coming from? Fat? Certainly not protein, right?
Old 07-31-18, 10:13 AM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by fstrnu
First example is half the carbs and same calories and second example is same carbs and twice the calories. Where are the extra calories coming from? Fat? Certainly not protein, right?
The Arnold Premium Bread is a big thick slice, maybe some other ingredients.

I just look at whatever is the generic bread, that most people buy and consume. You can look at different specific brands, specialty bread, pastries, muffins vs buns and so on, and can probably come up with a lot of differences in calories and so on, but for comparison sake it's more meaningful to just say "slice of bread" and look at whatever is the most generic and what most people eat.
Old 07-31-18, 10:51 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
You will lose weight if you eat only foods whose names begin with A through M and avoid foods whose names begin with N through Z. That's because it eliminates half of the available foods.
Is it OK to drink WATER?

It does cut out some foods...
Sugar, Syrup, Waffles, Pancakes, Toast, Salad, Nuts, Oranges, Noodles, Spaghetti, Pizza, Salmon, ....
Does Salad Dressing fall under S or D?

But, one can eat
Honey, Meat, Berries, Fruit, Lettuce (if not in a Salad), Avocado, Milk, Coffee, Juice, Grapefruit, Lasagna...

It would be a creative diet.
Old 07-31-18, 12:13 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by CliffordK

It would be a creative diet.
Beef is OK but pork is not, unless they're both meat. Sweets are forbidden but candy is not. So yes, there is opportunity for creativity.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.