Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Fitting record-keeping?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Fitting record-keeping?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-18, 08:25 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Fitting record-keeping?

I want to find a template to use to record the different steps in my evolving bike self-fitting. There used to be one in an earlier edition of Zinn's book on road bike maintenance, but in the current one I have, it has vanished. Anybody know of something floating in the Web ether? Too lazy to write my own, this time.

Try to use da Webz constructively: Google "bicycle fitting template"

Here's one: https://www.parktool.com/assets/img/...sitionroad.pdf

And another: https://www.pbmcoaching.com/documenti...ike-equipment/

yet another, and in my town!: www.med.umich.edu/medsport/services/bikefitting.html

https://bikefitadviser.com/

Last edited by Road Fan; 08-08-18 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-11-18, 08:07 PM
pakossa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I simply write down my changes in my cycling log. (It's gotten to the point that I'm changing my fit pretty much every ride now.) This can help in that it shows, for example, if after a change was made, your average speed is a couple MPH less, than you made a wrong change.
Old 08-15-18, 11:53 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Yeah, one of my purposes is to write down my baseline, then each change and try to make only one at a time to make sure I can clearly see the effect.

But I've never been good at keeping a log. I'm trying to nail it in for comfort on long rides.
Old 06-30-19, 10:50 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
I want to find a template to use to record the different steps in my evolving bike self-fitting. There used to be one in an earlier edition of Zinn's book on road bike maintenance, but in the current one I have, it has vanished. Anybody know of something floating in the Web ether? Too lazy to write my own, this time.

Try to use da Webz constructively: Google "bicycle fitting template"

Here's one: https://www.parktool.com/assets/img/...sitionroad.pdf

And another: Documenting Your Bike & Equipment « Bicycle « PBM Coaching

yet another, and in my town!: www.med.umich.edu/medsport/services/bikefitting.html

https://bikefitadviser.com/
Reviving a zombie thread here, b/c I was looking for something similar.

A question or two, if anybody knows more about this.
The pbmcoaching diagram makes sense to me, but I don't quite get the measurement of the saddle height (length "A") on the parktool diagram. It's measuring from the bottom bracket to some vague point behind the saddle? That must not be right. What exactly is the reference point, then?
The other links (umich, bikefitadvisor) don't lead to diagrams that I can find. Can anybody point to any other suggested standard measurement templates?

Background: I'm trying to match the fit on two road bikes, but they have different seat tube angles, so I need a standard reference point on the saddle to aim for. I've seen people suggest something like 60% of the length from the nose to the back of the saddle. I like the pbmcoaching suggestion of measuring to the 80 mm width.
Old 07-01-19, 05:14 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I've been using the Park Fit Template for 6-7 years and recording the fit. Over that time span It can be seen how the fit has changed as my cycling fitness has changed. My position is longer and lower these days but I would not know that without the template.
Old 07-06-19, 09:26 AM
Sapperc

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp, Trek 930, Nishiki International

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Background: I'm trying to match the fit on two road bikes, but they have different seat tube angles, so I need a standard reference point on the saddle to aim for.
To set up both bikes so that your position over the cranks is the same, measure saddle height from the center of the crank (pedal if crank arms are different length) to the top of the saddle along a line that runs through the center of the seat tube, and measure the saddle set back parallel to the ground to a line that runs perpendicular to the ground from the tip of the saddle to where it intersects with the center of the crank.

Various road bike seat tube angles are not so so radically different that the height will be different by a significantly measurable amount. However, to be more precise mark the top of the saddle of the first bike you measure after it is setup to your fit. Mark the saddle of the other bike in the same place and measure height to that point.

Keep in in mind that bikes with different geometries may fit and feel different. So in the end, your best fit may be different on each bike.

Also, you may need to adjust for different saddles if the shapes and sizes are different.

Transferring fit measurements from one bike to a differently designed bike is probably best used as a starting guide and not necessarily as a final fit.

Good luck!
Old 07-06-19, 03:47 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by Sapperc
To set up both bikes so that your position over the cranks is the same, measure saddle height from the center of the crank (pedal if crank arms are different length) to the top of the saddle along a line that runs through the center of the seat tube, and measure the saddle set back parallel to the ground to a line that runs perpendicular to the ground from the tip of the saddle to where it intersects with the center of the crank.

Various road bike seat tube angles are not so so radically different that the height will be different by a significantly measurable amount. However, to be more precise mark the top of the saddle of the first bike you measure after it is setup to your fit. Mark the saddle of the other bike in the same place and measure height to that point.

Keep in in mind that bikes with different geometries may fit and feel different. So in the end, your best fit may be different on each bike.

Also, you may need to adjust for different saddles if the shapes and sizes are different.

Transferring fit measurements from one bike to a differently designed bike is probably best used as a starting guide and not necessarily as a final fit.

Good luck!
Thanks, that's very helpful.