Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Gearing Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-18, 06:59 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
Gearing Question

Is high gear the slow gearing on a bike.?? Is low gearing the fast gears of a bike.??

How about 1st gear.... Is that the slowest gear of a bike.?? Is 18,20, 22 the fastest gear on a bike.??

This stuff drives me nuts. I need to learn it once and for all.
Old 09-27-18, 08:27 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by BirdsBikeBinocs
Is high gear the slow gearing on a bike.?? Is low gearing the fast gears of a bike.??
Backwards. High gears are the ones you tend to use when going faster, low gears when going slower.

It's called "higher" because the ratio of rear wheel rotations per crank rotation is higher.

If you're on a 44-tooth chainring up front and an 11-tooth cog in back, the ratio is 44/11 = 4. So when pedaling, every time you turn the cranks in a full circle, the rear wheel will spin 4 times.
If you then downshift to a 22-tooth cog in back, the ratio becomes 44/22 = 2. So the rear wheel now spins twice every time you turn the cranks once: a much lower gear,

How about 1st gear.... Is that the slowest gear of a bike.?? Is 18,20, 22 the fastest gear on a bike.??
People mostly don't number their gears like this, because gear ratio counting doesn't convey much information to other cyclists. Two different drivetrains will have wildly different meanings for what "gear 13" is.

The highest gear on my Emonda is when I'm in my 50-tooth chainring up front and 11-tooth cog in back. I call it my highest gear, or I refer to it as fifty-eleven, or some other descriptive term.
Old 09-27-18, 08:39 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
I need to learn it once and for all.
If it feels too hard to pedal shift to an easier gear. You don't need to know what they're called.
Old 09-27-18, 08:54 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
Don't obsess on what gear you are in. Just find the one that makes pedaling your trike or bike comfortable. My Catrike 700 has the gear range of a road bike. For me, comfort is almost always in the middle range in front, using the 10 gears on the cassette to find a comfortable cadence. If you asked me, "What gear are you in?" I would have to answer hell if I know.
Old 09-27-18, 10:03 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Originally Posted by HTupolev
Backwards. High gears are the ones you tend to use when going faster, low gears when going slower.

It's called "higher" because the ratio of rear wheel rotations per crank rotation is higher.

If you're on a 44-tooth chainring up front and an 11-tooth cog in back, the ratio is 44/11 = 4. So when pedaling, every time you turn the cranks in a full circle, the rear wheel will spin 4 times.
If you then downshift to a 22-tooth cog in back, the ratio becomes 44/22 = 2. So the rear wheel now spins twice every time you turn the cranks once: a much lower gear,

People mostly don't number their gears like this, because gear ratio counting doesn't convey much information to other cyclists. Two different drivetrains will have wildly different meanings for what "gear 13" is.

The highest gear on my Emonda is when I'm in my 50-tooth chainring up front and 11-tooth cog in back. I call it my highest gear, or I refer to it as fifty-eleven, or some other descriptive term.
This is a great post. Thanks a lot.
Old 09-27-18, 10:14 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Originally Posted by VegasTriker
Don't obsess on what gear you are in. Just find the one that makes pedaling your trike or bike comfortable. My Catrike 700 has the gear range of a road bike. For me, comfort is almost always in the middle range in front, using the 10 gears on the cassette to find a comfortable cadence. If you asked me, "What gear are you in?" I would have to answer hell if I know.
In all due respect you missed my point. My question is, in bicycle talk, what is a high gear or what is a low gear. On occasion people will say... "I was in the highest gear and my bike was making a noise." HTUpolev provided a great explanation. It makes perfect sense.

And yes, I get it that one can't refer to a gear in numerical language. In other words I can't say.... "I was in 12th gear and my bike makes a noise." That would make no sense to anyone and I learned that in HTpolev's post.
Old 09-27-18, 10:19 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
It's just like your car. You don't start out in "high" gear.
Jon
Old 09-28-18, 01:50 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
And yes, I get it that one can't refer to a gear in numerical language. In other words I can't say....
Well, you sort of can. Give the rear gears (cassette) numbers, 1 being the biggest, and the front (chainset) letters - L and H (or L, M and H) for Low, (Middle) and High. So you can then say 'I was in 7H and the bike was making a noise'. I grant you, though, that it's not very universal. Of course, if I use L and H for the chainset and someone prefers L(large) and S(mall) then that could get very confusing.
Old 09-28-18, 04:37 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
In all due respect you missed my point. My question is, in bicycle talk, what is a high gear or what is a low gear. On occasion people will say... "I was in the highest gear and my bike was making a noise." HTUpolev provided a great explanation. It makes perfect sense.

And yes, I get it that one can't refer to a gear in numerical language. In other words I can't say.... "I was in 12th gear and my bike makes a noise." That would make no sense to anyone and I learned that in HTpolev's post.
High and low are pretty universal because it is basically the same terminology as for cars, but I've had bike shop guys make me specify what I mean because enough people get them confused that they can't take it for granted.
"Bicycle talk" encompasses talk with people of all levels of knowledge, so if I am talking with someone knowledgeable, I will use ratios. If I'm talking to a beginner, I will say high or low, and make sure they understand high means big in the front and small in the back, and the other way around for low. It helps them both know what to call them and helps them understand how they work.

​ I know that is more than you asked for, but as you gain knowledge about bikes, I think it's also useful to know how people pass it on. If you ever ride ride with a kid or a beginner, I hope you find this useful. It's also important to remember that a kid has never driven, so high and low is really meaningless to them, and it's not intuitive that harder to pedal can mean faster.
Old 09-28-18, 10:51 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by jgwilliams
Well, you sort of can. ...So you can then say 'I was in 7H and the bike was making a noise'. I grant you, though, that it's not very universal.
Not universal at all. If you have a 7-speed cassette in back, that might be your high gear. but if you have an 11-speed, it'll be almost in the middle of the range. And that "7" gear might be anything from a 17 tooth gear to a 36 tooth gear. So, still not very useful.
Old 09-28-18, 05:17 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Originally Posted by Jon T
It's just like your car. You don't start out in "high" gear.
Jon
Oohhh... Another great reply.!! Very simple to remember. Thanks.
Old 09-29-18, 03:32 PM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Daft I know but I still have to really think about it and always got it the wrong way round to the extent it's habit ... I think it's partially because I cycled way before i could drive and it just became ingrained.
Old 09-29-18, 03:40 PM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
I always remembered that LOW is SLOW