Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My Breaking Away Masi Bike Crash Version

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 01-15-19, 02:02 PM
xetaprime

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Breaking Away Masi Bike Tease

Tease: 'My' Breaking Away 'crash' bike. I had to share. Rims arrived yesterday (waiting for spokes). Applied the down tube decals today. I love this bike I tell ya! Credit to VeloCals ( I was pretty naggy). To be continued...

Last edited by xetaprime; 01-15-19 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-15-19, 02:23 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
Looks great. What was it before?
Old 01-15-19, 02:25 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Did you mix your own Orange? I've never seen Rustoleum available in that color. Was it brushed or sprayed?
Old 01-15-19, 02:29 PM
xetaprime

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
Looks great. What was it before?
Thanks! It was a 1982 Trek 610 according to serials. Figured if they used a Sears in the movie I could use a Trek.
Old 01-15-19, 02:37 PM
xetaprime

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Did you mix your own Orange? I've never seen Rustoleum available in that color. Was it brushed or sprayed?
Mixed Rustoleum Sunrise Red, Sunburst Yellow and a little White (gloss). That, in itself is a horror story I'll save for later, but it was all my fault. Nothing to do with Rustoleum. The color changes from almost red to pastel pink depending on the lighting. Bottom line I was stuck with this enamel mixing after a horror show- later explained.

Hand Brushed. Look up Rustoleum Paint Job. Mostly used for cars- they use rollers. I used a brush. About 10 coats 2-3 coats a day sanded sometimes in between. 8-12 hours apart.

Last edited by xetaprime; 01-15-19 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-15-19, 02:50 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Excellent! Sounds like you did your research. I bet the paint looks 10x better than a spray job, since rattlecan paint always goes on in tiny lumps, rather than as a smooth uniform coat, like a good paint job is supposed to go on.

I am tempted to try something similar on a couple of my bikes, the mixing part, since I find that the stock colors are pretty uninspiring. Maybe I will test out the paint first by letting it dry, and looking at it in various lighting conditions.

I think you might wanna do a UV-protective clear coat over the decals when you're done, since I have seen Rustoleum colors fade that have spent a lot of time in the sun. Plus I think some decals need UV protection too, and a clearcoat would keep them from peeling off too (I hope).
Old 01-15-19, 02:59 PM
xetaprime

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Excellent! Sounds like you did your research. I bet the paint looks 10x better than a spray job, since rattlecan paint always goes on in tiny lumps, rather than as a smooth uniform coat, like a good paint job is supposed to go on.

I am tempted to try something similar on a couple of my bikes, the mixing part, since I find that the stock colors are pretty uninspiring. Maybe I will test out the paint first by letting it dry, and looking at it in various lighting conditions.

I think you might wanna do a UV-protective clear coat over the decals when you're done, since I have seen Rustoleum colors fade that have spent a lot of time in the sun. Plus I think some decals need UV protection too, and a clearcoat would keep them from peeling off too (I hope).
My Decals are 1 MIl UV coated but I admit too late for a clear coat on the Rustoleum. If you get the Rustoleum thinned right, no brush strokes and it looks like it has gloss. But yeah, home done. I'll go and start an original post- was going to hold off, but the tease sucked me in! D'Ohhh!
Old 01-15-19, 03:04 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4671 Post(s)
Liked 5,769 Times in 2,272 Posts
So, lemee get this straight. It's a 1982 Trek 610, but you've decaled it to be a Masi?
Old 01-15-19, 03:26 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
I can't help but think that yet another forgery has been created and some here are applauding it. Sad!
Old 01-15-19, 03:28 PM
tyler_fred

Bikes: American, Italian, and Japanese.. in no particular order.

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 128 Posts
Didn't Masi sublet production of their movie set 'crash' bikes to Trek in the late 50's or early 60s?
Old 01-15-19, 03:30 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
I'm not a fan of rebranding, but from the one pic, the paint job looks really, really good.

Did you give any thought to filing off the rear rack mounts?
Old 01-15-19, 03:35 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 402 Posts
No Trek decals available?
Old 01-15-19, 03:45 PM
xetaprime

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Man, I’ve wanted to post about this build from day one. And, I’ve also wanted to wait until she was finished. But I couldn’t. I’m retired and have had some wine full disclosure. Seriously feel free to skip the babble and go right to pictures. I know I would. Long post ahead! Rustoleum Paint Job.

It’s this forums fault for this bike! I wasn’t going to build another. Then, there was the Breaking Away mentions and DVDs and I bought the DVD (though I hadn’t seen the film in 20+ years)… Talk about price gouging! And then I was searching frames (as usual) per ebay and found a Trek 610 that had the Brev. Camp cable guides. I freeze framed the ‘crash’ bike scene and saw it had clamp-on shifters! The 610 had clamp-on! That was it. And I have always seriously loved this bike! Rustoleum Hand Painted Paint job.

Like most interested, I’ve read every post, blog, seen every picture and freezed every frame. Dennis’s vs Gary’s vs crash bike- I’m familiar. Blue vs yellow Brev. Masi stays decals. Brake levers changing. Toe straps- tan and red! Seat tube decals positioning above front derailleur… The trouble is remembering which bike had which after a while. There are a few bikes out there that in my opinion have issues with the screen originals. Rustoleum Paint Job.

Luckily, I’m building the ‘Crash’ fake Masi bike. AKA Trek 610. Not the Sears Free Spirit. Here we go! Did I mention Rustoleum Paint job?

1982 Trek 610 according to serial info:
Stripping with Klean Strip was a ***** but after 3-4 coats it was clean.

The original top tube cable guides were a bit beefy. I dremeled (Foredom) them down- giving more slope and making a bit smaller.

Fork detailing attached with PC7.

The night before painting I mixed the paint in one of two empty paint cans I had. Red: Gloss Sunrise Red. Sunburst Yellow and Gloss White. In the morning I applied the first coat. I wasn’t sure if I was happy with the mix/color so I decided to make another batch just in case. I moved the frame to the laundry room (thank God) for drying. Opened the second empty can. Grabbed the Sunrise Red and shook it right to left. But I forgot to re-seal the lid the night before! The enamel paint went right. The enamel paint went left! On the floor, completely covering my hands! Destroyed a few things here and there you don’t want to know. My brain froze! Seriously it was freaky. I stood there in slow mo not knowing what happened or what to do. And I only had a few paper towels left! Anyways, Ruined cloth towels and Mineral Spirits later it was over OMG! So the color I had was the color I used, period (not for lack of trying).

A big shout out to VeloCals! Many many emails as they didn’t have MASI 78 Breaking Away decals and they really came through. These can now be found on their website. I used 1 Mil UV Glossy for a finished frame.
Screenshot:

Do we love this bike or what? Wasn't planning on starting this thread today but here goes... To be continued... P.S. Looks far less orange under different lighting? I don't expect it to be correct but close. When finished we'll see how she looks outside...

Almost Home.

Last edited by xetaprime; 01-15-19 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-15-19, 03:48 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4494 Post(s)
Liked 6,300 Times in 3,633 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
I can't help but think that yet another forgery has been created and some here are applauding it. Sad!
Don't totally disagree, but if the s/n is left intact AND the subsequent owner is given the real story then so be it. Certainly a conversation piece where the story can be told. Purists will likely know the difference and act accordingly.
Old 01-15-19, 03:52 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
I am IN to see this!
Old 01-15-19, 03:53 PM
xetaprime

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
So, lemee get this straight. It's a 1982 Trek 610, but you've decaled it to be a Masi?
Because the Sears Free Spirit was also- in Breaking Away- no guilt here
Old 01-15-19, 03:54 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2912 Post(s)
Liked 2,836 Times in 1,460 Posts
So you turned a Trek into a Masi? Thats just a......just uh um....well.....

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-15-19, 03:55 PM
xetaprime

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I'm not a fan of rebranding, but from the one pic, the paint job looks really, really good.

Did you give any thought to filing off the rear rack mounts?
I did. And almost did. But then thought keep them- crash bike.
Old 01-15-19, 03:57 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Beautiful. That paint really went on smooth. No way that rattlecan Rustoluem will ever go on that smooth. That's a real "enamel" finish.

Regarding the bike being a "counterfeit" or whatever, I don't see that as even being an issue unless the bike was put up for sale and the seller attempted to pass it off as a real Masi. And so far that has not happened yet.

Hey, If I wanna put a Rolls Royce grille on my VW bug, that's my business, too bad if anyone is fooled. The joke is on them, IMO, FWIW, etc., etc.

Old 01-15-19, 04:00 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

I agree

Originally Posted by tyler_fred
Didn't Masi sublet production of their movie set 'crash' bikes to Trek in the late 50's or early 60s?
What? Was Trek even around in the '50s and '60s for that matter was Masi?

Originally Posted by xetaprime
Because the Sears Free Spirit was also- in Breaking Away- no guilt here
What does that even mean? It still doesn't give justification for building a counterfeit bike

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-15-19, 04:01 PM
xetaprime

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Okay, if I were recreating the original forgery- Sears Free Sprirt- would that make it better? But, I saw this Trek 610. And I thought 1. I can't afford a Masi frame. 2. I can afford this Trek Frame... and it's a fake MASI Like In The Movie.

If they didn't use a fake Masi I couldn't and wouldn't make this defense.
Old 01-15-19, 04:01 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by merziac
Don't totally disagree, but if the s/n is left intact AND the subsequent owner is given the real story then so be it. Certainly a conversation piece where the story can be told. Purists will likely know the difference and act accordingly.
I think perhaps it will eventually be on the ebay or craigslist as a rare Masi touring bike.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-15-19, 04:03 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4494 Post(s)
Liked 6,300 Times in 3,633 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I think perhaps it will eventually be on the ebay or craigslist as a rare Masi touring bike.
I think you are probably right, but if I see that, it will be called out in a flash.
Old 01-15-19, 04:03 PM
jamesj

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL, 2006 Paul Frank Cruiser, 1987 Specialized Street Stomper, 1980 Trek 412, 1979 Raleigh Sport,

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 25 Posts
That TREK looked decent before. Sorry.
Old 01-15-19, 04:04 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Beautiful. That paint really went on smooth. No way that rattlecan Rustoluem will ever go on that smooth. That's a real "enamel" finish.

Regarding the bike being a "counterfeit" or whatever, I don't see that as even being an issue unless the bike was put up for sale and the seller attempted to pass it off as a real Masi. And so far that has not happened yet.

Hey, If I wanna put a Rolls Royce grille on my VW bug, that's my business, too bad if anyone is fooled. The joke is on them, IMO, FWIW, etc., etc.

My complaint with it being counterfeit is that he not only put Masi decals on it he altered the fork and filled in the Trek stamp on the stay caps to disguise it even further

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.