Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

(How To) Cardiac Drift - A Different Way of Looking at Indoor Training

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

(How To) Cardiac Drift - A Different Way of Looking at Indoor Training

Old 03-13-19, 09:04 PM
KathyF99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can you explain a bit about cardiac drift? what is it and why is the metric useful?
Old 03-14-19, 06:40 AM
fstrnu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KathyF99
Can you explain a bit about cardiac drift? what is it and why is the metric useful?
Hi, Kathy

This is my favorite introduction to cardiac drift:

This is Hunter Allen of TrainingPeaks explaining how it can be used as an indicator of readiness for higher intensity spring training. He calls in aerobic decoupling which is the same as cardiac drift when power is fixed.

And this is a presentation explaining differences between fitness and endurance and also demonstrates how cardiac drift increases with fatigue.

I personally have found cardiac drift to be a profoundly good indicator of both the presence and magnitude of fatigue. As an Analytics Architect, I naturally expected gain additional insight into training status (fitness, fatigue, endurance) from the more reliable relationship between effort (and measures of effort) and fixed power indoors, but I had no idea how predictive it would be of problems I had in the past when I applied it to my historical data.

The best advice I can give to someone who is curious about this is simply to try it. Do whatever training you are already doing and just watch what cardiac drift and heart rate do. You might be surprised. Consistency in how you progress training, i.e. along a single programming variable (intensity, duration, frequency) will also help.

From a purely scientific perspective, changes in performance which cannot be attributed to other factors (especially changes in other factors) can be confidently attributable to actual changes in training status (fitness, fatigue and endurance). This is especially true over time with consistent trends.

Add to this a plethora of other reliable indicators indoors like RPE and subjective fatigue indicators and you can triangulate quite a bit of confidence in what is going on.

Feel free to follow up or PM (as most others do) me anytime.
Old 03-14-19, 06:48 AM
fstrnu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@KathyF99

Sorry I forgot this link which explains a little more about how cardiac drift changes and what to do about it plus within context of other variables.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showpost....7&postcount=77
Old 03-14-19, 08:40 AM
fstrnu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@KathyF99

Sorry I also forgot to mention that the interplay between average work interval heart rate and the measure of cardiac drift is how to identify the presence of heart rate suppression associated with fatigue.
Old 03-19-19, 05:33 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
[QUOTE=fstrnu;20837256]@KathyF99

Sorry I forgot this link which explains a little more about how cardiac drift changes and what to do about it plus within context of other variables.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showpost....7&postcount=77[/QUOTE

Translating, look at post 77 of the current thread.
Old 03-19-19, 05:58 AM
fstrnu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Incidentally, I'd like to recommend that people take a peek around outside cycling to understand a bit about training in general and, especially, about other sports' empirical approach to personalization/load management. Much of this applies to outdoors also (along a long enough time period so variation comes out in the wash) but can be directly applied to ERG training where external load is controllable just like rowing ERG and weight lifting. Volume, frequency, intensity, progression. It's not rocket science. It's all the same thing. It's not as complicated as the industrial complex needs you to think it is.

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/
https://www.fitness.marines.mil/Port...-15-105509-990