Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Riser Road Bars Calculation

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-19, 03:56 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts

I currently have a set of Specialized Hover Alloy bars on one of my bikes, they have a 15mm rise. In doing stem/spacer calculations; does the 15mm rise produce the same effect as 15mm of spacers with regard to height and reach? My gut tells me that it has to be the same, however, I was outside in the parking lot during geometry class

Old 02-19-19, 06:03 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Not exactly, but close. The reason is the stem spacers, while moving the bars up, also move them back due to the head tube angle. Your riser bars only rise up.

I've never seen those interesting bars. Maybe a way to get "slammed stem" fashion points after all!
Old 02-19-19, 06:44 AM
nomadmax 

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Not exactly, but close. The reason is the stem spacers, while moving the bars up, also move them back due to the head tube angle. Your riser bars only rise up.

I've never seen those interesting bars. Maybe a way to get "slammed stem" fashion points after all!
Thanks
Old 02-19-19, 07:15 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
I currently have a set of Specialized Hover Alloy bars on one of my bikes, they have a 15mm rise. In doing stem/spacer calculations; does the 15mm rise produce the same effect as 15mm of spacers with regard to height and reach? My gut tells me that it has to be the same, however, I was outside in the parking lot during geometry class
If you keep the bar rise parallel to the stem rise, then it's like adding spacers.
If you rotate the tops of bars forward (away from you on the bike seat), then you will lose gain a couple of mm rise, and increase the reach. (thinking about the bars moving through an arc....)
Personally I like the NITTO Noodle bars (or that style). They are drop bars and sweep back a few mm on the tops. I have a set of Ritchey bars that do the same thing. I do have riser bars on my tourer, the Jones 2.5SG loop swept back bars. 2.5 inches of rise on those. Nice on old MTBs with the too-long top tubes.
I was hoping to sketch up my answer real quick like, but my employer is expecting me to be productive on work stuff. .... whatever.....

correction: rotating the bars FORWARD should increase the vertical rise a bit more, and the reach. - just thinking about it again walking between buildings....

Last edited by mrv; 02-19-19 at 07:46 AM. Reason: korek-shun
Old 02-19-19, 11:23 AM
nomadmax 

Thank you @mrv