Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What's the deal with people looking down on old frames?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What's the deal with people looking down on old frames?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-19, 07:40 PM
clongwill
ChristopherL

Bikes: '62 Peugeot PA 10, '73 Peugeot UO8, '74 Peugeot UE8 (converted to UO8 look alike), '75 Peugeot UO8, Peugeot Ventoux PH501, '7? Sekine SHS 271, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '86 Centurion Elite RS, '87 Centurion Ironman Master

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Randy, I just picked-up 2 Sekine's. One larger (too big for me) and in nice condition. The other smaller (too small for me) and needs maintenance. I like your web page.

Do you have the link to the '87 Sekine catalog? I had it but don't know where I stashed it on my computer.

Chris
Old 05-13-19, 08:03 PM
Glennr134

Bikes: 1968 Hercules 10spd. 1971 Raleigh Grand prix 12spd. Bridgstone 10spd, BSA 12 spd. 1872 Rudge high wheel 1987 Schwinn super sport

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
Nah, that has been always been a gliding scale. At some point in your life it is not that you hate a certain generation, you hate young people and the weird things they do that make it hard for you to understand the world.
The exact same complaints anyone can have about young people nowadays can be found being expressed by people your age when you were young.
Books, television, the internet and phones all ruined young people and the world at some point in history.

What you said ties in to why old 1980's mountainbikes are gone or expensive.
They all go through a cycle: New > Cool > common > outdated > old > vintage > classic > museumworthy.

Most of us around here would look at people riding around on penny-farthings as either cool for keeping a museumpiece alive or obnoxious hipsters.
Many will at the very least realize restoring them to their original state is not for the faint hearted. You're keeping something alive that is getting increasingly more difficult to find parts for.

And that last thing is exactly what your bike mechanic might see when he looks at your bike.
Take your business elsewhere. There is bound to be a place that does appreciate working on older bikes.
I have a 1878 Rudge roadster penny farthing. It draws a crowd when I ride it. We have stopped several little league games on our rides . One coach yelled to me to leave the park complex as I was a distraction to his team .
Old 05-13-19, 08:13 PM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 228 Posts
I love that chainguard and the paint. <3
The continuing story of this Belgian Royal Nord President can be found here https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ca-1967-a.html
Old 05-13-19, 08:15 PM
Aussie Scott

Bikes: 1981 Bianchi (12V?), 1987 Bianchi Superleggera (Chorus), 1994 Bianchi TSX Ultralight, 1998 Bianchi Mega Pro Al, 99 Fondriest Molven, 98 GT Avalanche, 2017 Custom Titanium DNA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is this what you're talking about?

An early 90s diamondback with 700cx group. Built to last.
Resto for my brother in law after 20+ years idle.
Old 05-14-19, 08:02 AM
transporterjr
Retro-Grouch

Bikes: 83 Fuji Touring IV, 90 Univega Alpina Pro MTB, REI road bike, others in pieces

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I have Bio-Pace on two bikes. One because it came with it and the other because that what was in the shop with the right ratios when it needed a new crankset.

I had someone go off about Bio-Pace on me until I had to tell him it was reason #2 above. He still had to tell me how wonky it feels, etc. I switch between round and bio-pace and never notice, so they must have done something right.

Bottom line: I don’t care whether it’s bio-pace or not, so please spare me your diatribe on something you have never ridden for even a mile!

Maybe that will have to be my response. Or I’ll just say. “Of course I’m quicker than you, I have Bio-Pace!” Ha!
Old 05-14-19, 09:07 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Sekine and Miele catalogs. Hope it is a help.
Old 05-14-19, 11:47 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Never did I mention that it is invalid. In fact I would say every single one of them was right.
But they were also wrong.
Every new idea or technology solves the problems of the old world but also introduces new problems of its own. As humans we are often not aware of that and will internalize what we grew up with as the norm.
People thought books were a bad influence because they thought it would suck in people and limit social interaction. Which was true.
But it also enabled people to spread and talk about ideas a lot faster than before.
Television both broadens your world and breeds apathy by serving your lazy impulses.
The internet brings out the darkest parts of humanity but also some of the brightest.
It opens up your world and enables the both of us to talk to each other and discuss things we both like; classic bikes...
These advancements all had/have the potential to be beneficial, but for one reason or another (that's a debate for another time and place), they have ended up doing more harm than good (with the exception of books).

Phones have taken the ills of television and the internet and now made them mobile and constant. It may seem like no big deal, because we have been able to deal with it so far, but the erosion will eventually catch up to us.
Old 05-14-19, 02:33 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
These advancements all had/have the potential to be beneficial, but for one reason or another (that's a debate for another time and place), they have ended up doing more harm than good (with the exception of books).

Without things like movies or the internet, I wouldnt be able to post up this meme as a response to your comment since there would be no Big Lebowski...and no internet for you to ironically bemoan technology on. What a loss that would be!
Old 05-14-19, 04:07 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
"Wow, look at those chrome wheels." That's what I heard from a fellow club rider when he saw my polished aluminum wheels on my '85 'dale. His carbon wonder looked like a ugly tank to me but to each his own. I love the classic functional artwork that older bikes have. I try not to be critical of guys riding $2000 carbon wonders. They ride and that's the important thing. Ride with pride my friend whatever stead you prefer. Love to see pictures of your cherished friend when you can.
Old 05-14-19, 04:39 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Without things like movies or the internet, I wouldnt be able to post up this meme as a response to your comment since there would be no Big Lebowski...and no internet for you to ironically bemoan technology on. What a loss that would be!
True, but we also wouldn't have people like the Cardassians, a complete s-show for a political landscape, a generation of kids/young adults that are socially awkward (if not outright inept)...

Watch the opening 5 minutes of "Idiocracy." The bad outweighs the good, and by a fair margin.
Old 05-14-19, 04:51 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

True, but we also wouldn't have people like the Cardassians, a complete s-show for a political landscape, a generation of kids/young adults that are socially awkward (if not outright inept)...

Watch the opening 5 minutes of "Idiocracy." The bad outweighs the good, and by a fair margin.
Without the internet, my 8 and 12 yo kids also wouldnt already know things about history and society that I learned in high school and as an adult.

The internet has allowed a freer flow of information and ideas that has allowed anyone wanting to learn about anything to do so almost instantaneously.

If people around you aren't able to interact with others, it's because their parents and support structure while growing up failed them. It isnt because of tv and the internet.

I mentor at risk teens and we ride bikes 3x per week. Many use tv and video games as an escape, and even more have used tv and video games as a way to pass time instead of daycare/camps.
I don't blame the internet and tv for any of that. I really don't blame the parents either because situations ofteb times force events to take place.
But between the two things, parents and technology, I definitely wouldn't blame technology.
Old 05-14-19, 07:50 PM
BarryCW

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot PSV10. 1996 KHS Aero Turbo. 1985 Healing Triathlete. 1985 Bosomworth. 1980's Nishiki Cresta Repco. 1980's Nishiki Tri-A. 1985 Miyata 912. 1976 Holdsworth 531 Special. 1985 Kuwahara Siera G.Trek 1979 Frame 730. 1990's Bauer Momentum 4000.

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
Old MTB's like this are so strong

Originally Posted by Aussie Scott

An early 90s diamondback with 700cx group. Built to last.
Resto for my brother in law after 20+ years idle.
I do up, give away and repair bikes for the less fortunate in my small town. These 80s/90s steel bikes are so rewarding to work on. Honestly a young lad rides his everywhere, over everything and into everything then leaves it at my place when its broken. Invariably it can be fixed, although I have removed any opportunity for front derailleur use now. Centre chain ring it sits in permanently. I am particularly fond of no suspension, I am not interested or skilled enough for that. I struggle with uncared for bikes of this millennium I get given as rust/stuffed suspension and cheap weird design things in the BB area do my head in. Mountain biking with full suspension is huge in NZ and less are road riding than ever before. Old MTB's are looked down on, to return to the thread starter, funny tho as most are ridden on the road or light trails. My 1985 Kuwahara Siera Grande is an absolute GEM with its biopace rings and would ride any day over my mates pogo stick MTB with a 1 x dinner plate gearing on anything except real MTB terrain
Old 05-15-19, 09:51 AM
robertorolfo

Without the internet, my 8 and 12 yo kids also wouldnt already know things about history and society that I learned in high school and as an adult.
The internet has allowed a freer flow of information and ideas that has allowed anyone wanting to learn about anything to do so almost instantaneously.
If people around you aren't able to interact with others, it's because their parents and support structure while growing up failed them. It isnt because of tv and the internet.
I mentor at risk teens and we ride bikes 3x per week. Many use tv and video games as an escape, and even more have used tv and video games as a way to pass time instead of daycare/camps.
I don't blame the internet and tv for any of that. I really don't blame the parents either because situations ofteb times force events to take place.
But between the two things, parents and technology, I definitely wouldn't blame technology.
I'm sure you are familiar with encyclopedias, no? They used to be a big business...

Anyway, again, I'm not saying that these technologies can't be used for good. They can, and very often are. I'm just saying that, anecdotal evidence aside, they have been an overall net negative, not a positive. Just use that fancy Google thing and you will find plenty of studies saying as much.
Old 05-15-19, 11:58 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

I'm sure you are familiar with encyclopedias, no? They used to be a big business...

Anyway, again, I'm not saying that these technologies can't be used for good. They can, and very often are. I'm just saying that, anecdotal evidence aside, they have been an overall net negative, not a positive. Just use that fancy Google thing and you will find plenty of studies saying as much.
Yes, very familiar with encyclopedias. My house had 3 sets growing up and the info in them was limited in scope and breadth compared to what is immediately available to us online. There is simply no possible way anyone could argue that the information in a set of home use print encyclopedias is anywhere close to as detailed and complete as the internet.

As for finding plenty of studies that show the internet and television has been a net negative...I admittedly havent googled for that before since it just sounds so absurd. I also havent googled 'dog monkey' before, but am confident that both your claim and a picture of a dog monkey both exist.
Im also confident I could find plenty of studies, actual credible ones, that show the free flow of information since TV and the Internet came to be has had a net positive effect.

You mention my anecdotal evidence as if that isnt valid since its a small sample size...but that is actually my point- the sample sizes should be small and i think its a mistake to aggregate all those small sample sizes to then try and extrapolate a finding that fits your narrative. The sample size should be small because as I mentioned- its up to parents and the support structure that helps raise each child to ensure the child uses the technology in the best way possible. If that isnt happening, its the fault of the parents and support structure, rather than the fault of a source of free flowing ideas and information.
Old 05-15-19, 12:19 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
The seeds of our demise were planted well before the internet. But it will definitely speed it up.
Tim
Old 05-15-19, 12:45 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,055 Posts
Back to our original programming . . . .

I have yet to have my Olde Phart machines ridiculed or mocked. Sometimes people ask about what I am riding and surprised to hear that the frame is anywhere from 35 to 50+ years old, depending on what I'm riding that day. I have had plenty of positive comments, including a guy at a rest stop on en event ride go out of his way to track me down (I was by the food, of course) to say he thought I had the coolest bike on the ride.

Mostly, though, other riders wave or say "hi" and we go our separate ways.

However, if I did get snarky comments, I would never try to speed up and drop the. I think doing so is a great idea, but I am old, fat and slow, and I do enough things to embarrass myself without going out of my way to add more.
Old 05-15-19, 03:34 PM
robertorolfo

Yes, very familiar with encyclopedias. My house had 3 sets growing up and the info in them was limited in scope and breadth compared to what is immediately available to us online. There is simply no possible way anyone could argue that the information in a set of home use print encyclopedias is anywhere close to as detailed and complete as the internet.

As for finding plenty of studies that show the internet and television has been a net negative...I admittedly havent googled for that before since it just sounds so absurd. I also havent googled 'dog monkey' before, but am confident that both your claim and a picture of a dog monkey both exist.
Im also confident I could find plenty of studies, actual credible ones, that show the free flow of information since TV and the Internet came to be has had a net positive effect.

You mention my anecdotal evidence as if that isnt valid since its a small sample size...but that is actually my point- the sample sizes should be small and i think its a mistake to aggregate all those small sample sizes to then try and extrapolate a finding that fits your narrative. The sample size should be small because as I mentioned- its up to parents and the support structure that helps raise each child to ensure the child uses the technology in the best way possible. If that isnt happening, its the fault of the parents and support structure, rather than the fault of a source of free flowing ideas and information.

First off, nobody is saying encyclopedias are more thorough than the internet, but you seem to imply that we were living in the dark ages prior to 1996 (or whenever the internet was "invented"). Almost makes you wonder how we managed to plan D-day, build the bomb, put a man on the moon... all without the internet!

And are you really trying to argue that looking up studies about the negative effects of the internet and smartphones is somehow extreme or absurd? Because if you look at the results, you will see that a lot of scholars and scientists have used their precious time to look into what you equate to a "dog monkey."

Lastly, your reliance on society to correct and police itself is an antiquated notion. It's not working. Look around! I see that you are in a state with fewer people than most neighborhoods around here (and yet you have two Senators), so perhaps your extrapolations onto our overall society might be lacking?
Old 05-15-19, 04:51 PM
jethin

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 160 Posts
I don’t know why peoples is always looking down on tv and the internets, but without Star Trek we wouldn’t have the Cardassians.
Old 05-15-19, 04:57 PM
tsmorr

Bikes: Rossin SLX; Miyata Team Track; Fat Chance Kicker; Austro-Daimler Inter 10; Geekhouse Mudville

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I don't recall anyone ever making a negative comment about any of my older bikes?
Old 05-15-19, 04:58 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
I'm personally a "glass is half full" kind of guy and if you ask most people in the world they will say that the world now is better than 50 years ago.

The US is a small exception but then again it's kind of annoying coming down from the excess in resources and power that was available back in between post WWII and let's say the 80's.
Most cities in Western countries up until the 90's were ****holes where nobody sane wanted to live. The best thing you could do was bulldozer a couple of residential areas and put a giant highway straight through the city center. /s
Whereas nowadays the cities have cleaned up significantly and people are moving to the city again while crime is moving to smaller towns.

I live in a country that's less than a third of the land area of the State of New York but with a similar number of people (17.1 million) living there. We are a bit more spread out so the maximum population density is slightly lower than Queens.
And in some regards, we were living in the dark ages before 1996. But that might be my age showing at a 1987 birth year.

P.s.
Here is a dog monkey:
Old 05-15-19, 05:04 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by jethin
I don’t know why peoples is always looking down on tv and the internets, but without Star Trek we wouldn’t have the Cardassians.
​​​​​Lol, I was thinking the same thing.

Cardassians:

Kardashians:
Old 05-15-19, 07:58 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26410 Post(s)
Liked 10,376 Times in 7,204 Posts
...the only insult I ever got on an olde bike of mine was when I posted a picture here.
Old 05-16-19, 10:13 AM
tashi

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
At the risk of continuing this off-topic nonsense, somehow I LOVE this dog-monkey. I was expecting to be horrified, but he looks like just the guy you need if you're trapped in a maze and trying to get your baby brother back from a flamboyant goblin king.

P.s.
Here is a dog monkey:

(Without the movies we wouldn't have The Labyrinth, and that would be a shame.)
Old 05-16-19, 01:09 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

First off, nobody is saying encyclopedias are more thorough than the internet, but you seem to imply that we were living in the dark ages prior to 1996 (or whenever the internet was "invented"). Almost makes you wonder how we managed to plan D-day, build the bomb, put a man on the moon... all without the internet!

And are you really trying to argue that looking up studies about the negative effects of the internet and smartphones is somehow extreme or absurd? Because if you look at the results, you will see that a lot of scholars and scientists have used their precious time to look into what you equate to a "dog monkey."

Lastly, your reliance on society to correct and police itself is an antiquated notion. It's not working. Look around! I see that you are in a state with fewer people than most neighborhoods around here (and yet you have two Senators), so perhaps your extrapolations onto our overall society might be lacking?
If it seemed I was implying we lived in dark ages before AOL gave so many homes access to the internet, that wasnt my intent. My point has been that the free flow of information is a benefit and this exists because of the internet. When i did research projects for school back in the early 90s, i would look up the same subject in 3 different encyclopedias and then look up ancillary topics to better understand what the main articles meant. It was a massive undertaking compared to how readily available the same information is now. That, to me, is a huge benefit. Easier access to info can be life changing.

As for my point about if the internet is a net positive or a net negative, I was simply saying that for every study/article you provide showing the internet is bad, i could provide a study/article that shows its good.

As for society correcting and policing itself...i dont know what to say to this, really. Ill try though.
- As a society, we select our government and choose what laws to create and follow thru both direct and indirect representation. Essentially, we are policing ourselves thru that process.
- I live in a state with about the median state population, so while my experiences here arent indicative of life everywhere, its the same as how your experiences arent indicitive of life everywhere.
- Your neighborhoods dont have 3+ million people. All of Queens isnt even that. I get the point you are trying to make, but im not sure it is an important point.
- I lived half my life in the Chicagoland area with 10 million others. I am well aware of dense urban and suburban challenges. I am also well aware of all the benefits of such locations and how technology has increased the experience of living in and visiting these locations.
- I see you know how the Senate and House works. Super. Really not sure why you felt it necessary to mention Iowa has 2 Senators in an obviously negative way since, you know, thats the point of the Senate.

Pretty sure I am out on this topic at this point since its gotten to the point where the number of Senators is being complained about.
Old 05-16-19, 02:14 PM
robertorolfo

​​​​​Cardassians:

Kardashians:
My spelling was intentional. I always write Cardassians to provide the truly enlightened among us (aka DS9 fans) to identify themselves. You two are now officially in my good graces.

All hail Gul Dukat!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.