Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Half your body weight

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Half your body weight

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-15, 10:19 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Oh BTW - personally I like the unlocked feature of this forum. It's good to keep threads, even old threads, available.
Old 06-30-15, 12:59 AM
chubbyhubs

Bikes: Surly DT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the other hand this thread did saved me from posting a question on weight, so it was a fortunate thing for me.
Old 06-30-15, 02:38 AM
MassiveD

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The main rule in touring for me is that I have to be able to stay comfortable. That is a combination of things, from saddles to gearing, weather to food. If you can stay comfortable you can keep going, in my case some discomfort could be a sign that I was likely to cause myself permanent damage, or it could just be that I was no longer enjoying myself.

While I enjoy ideas like that one should be able to carry a bike, and have been in situations were my safety depended on my being able to clean and jerk the bike over some obstacle, I wouldn't recommend trying these ideas out in the real world. I have hurt myself doing these kinds of tests and they are largely arbitrary so why bother.
Old 06-30-15, 05:03 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Oh BTW - personally I like the unlocked feature of this forum. It's good to keep threads, even old threads, available.
I don't think that old threads should be deleted or anything. I think that they should be available to read, or to link to, just not to reply to.

Of course my preference is moot as it is up to the mods to decide that sort of thing.
Old 07-04-15, 11:10 PM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Yesterday in KUL I weighed myself before checking out of the hotel: fully clothed with steel leg-brace:109 kg. At the KUL airport with all my gear (except for the handlebar bag) I was 50 kg. So that fits into the range others are discussing. I will need to buy some oatmeal, PB, Vegemite, etc. BUT this trip I will carry only essential food maybe 3 days. Otherwise it is stop for a meal @ a roadhouse on the Eyre Hwy. Oh, then of course there IS the water

I once met a German traveller who said the ate mostly oatmeal - sometimes cooked and sometimes raw as he was riding from Broome WA to Cairns Qsld. Yuk to that diet! Nutrition balance?? Monotony???
Old 07-05-15, 09:24 AM
mm718

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neubilder
I'm heading off on another month-long tour through NY state and New England, (Buffalo to Saratoga Springs, down the Hudson, up the N.England Coast to R.I and Boston. Bush camping, but not cooking, and I've got my complete rig down to 42 lbs. Bike with racks weighs 22lbs, Panniers with gear weighs 18 - 20lbs. Last year I did a similar trip and I was at just under 50 lbs. This equals just over 1/4th of my body weight of 162lbs. 204 lbs of rolling lightening, hold the thunder.
The half your body weight rule of thumb seems very high for me. There are plenty of 200 lb men out there and no one needs to carry 100 lbs of gear and bike. I think a 1/3 of your body weight is a better weight to shoot for and you and others have shown that it can be done with much less (or even a little more but 50% seems very high as a general guideline).

I don't mind old threads. Something always tips me off. It would be nice though if people reviving old threads would indicate that at the top of their post.
Old 07-18-15, 12:00 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I've Gained weight since my last Long tour , maybe that will compensate for the comfortable gear I brought, Back then ..
Old 07-18-15, 08:32 PM
azza_333

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
For me my bike, gear, water, and everything else, for a self supported 2 month long camping tour in Japan was 25% of my body weight, and since im only 65kg that's not much.
Old 07-18-15, 08:37 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,578 Times in 1,429 Posts

Through my experiences, I have found that when I'm cycle touring, if the weight of everything I bring comes to half my body weight or less, I can tour quite comfortably. ....
HALF my body weight!!!!!!.

Even when I carried the kitchen sink I don't think I ever carried anything close to a third of my body weight (including my bike), or well less than 1/4 of my body weight not counting the bike itself. These days I don't think I ever carry more than 15% or my body weight, if that.

BTW - I'm not tiny, but I'm not a Clyde either.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-18-15, 08:40 PM
motorapido

Bikes: 1976 Schwinn Super Le Tour, tricked out with modern components. Shimano Alfine 11 internal gear hub. Dynamo hub. Titanium racks and bottle cages. Mercier Kilo Wide Tire dropbar singlespeed

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 1 Post
Holy smokes -- I tour with 6 to 10 pounds, including panniers

Originally Posted by Mentor58
I've just sat down and started to weigh up things. At my weight by this guide, I can plan on not more than 80 pounds. My LHT is about 27 pounds with racks front and rear. Add in the 6 poiunds for the Lone Star Panniers front and rear.and that leaves me about 46 pounds to work with.

I add in my home (tent, sleeping bag and pad) at a total of about 9 pounds, and that drops me to 37 pounds to work with.

I suspect that I can get under the limit easily enough, but I've never weighed everything like that before, so it's a bit of a shock. I wonder if I may consider getting a smaller lighter tent. I do like the space of having a 2 person tent however.

I wonder how many of us this winter will start laying out stuff, grabbing the baby or kitchen scale, and going "Humm, how much can I save if I don't bring this.... or only half as much of that?"

Thanks Machka, now you've given me a new thing to try and quantify.

Steve W.
Who thinks that the 5 pound canned ham isnt going on more rides... just in case it's needed.
For solo, unsupported touring, my added weight to the bike is 6 to 10 pounds, including the weight of my front and rear panniers. This is 3-season. camping touring, with a 7 ounce hammock, and 6 ounce tarp. At most a spare bike shirt and bike shorts. Not much else. This includes spare spokes and minimalist tools (titanium). My bike weighs about 26 pounds, plus front and rear rack. Since my bike is no flyweight, I make up for it with minimalist, ultralight camping/living/all-multi-purpose gear.

I weigh 152 pounds. If I carry more than 15 pounds, I am not happy. I suppose that at age 52, I am a weakling. Ride your own ride, camp your own camp, tour your own tour, though.
Old 07-18-15, 08:58 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by motorapido
For solo, unsupported touring, my added weight to the bike is 6 to 10 pounds, including the weight of my front and rear panniers.
My suggestion includes the bicycle.

And of course ... the suggestion of half your body weight is the maximum amount I want to lug about. Generally speaking, I'm happier when I come in a bit lower than that.
Old 11-22-15, 05:30 AM
Buffalo Buff

Bikes: 2015 synapse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For fun I'm just calculating my ratio from last tour.

Starting Bodyweight: 218lbs
Bike weight: 20lbs
Starting gear weight: 14.5lbs

I got a little under 16% assuming my drunk math is correct
Old 11-22-15, 07:10 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
(sexy, handsome) body weight: 180 pounds

bike: 30 pounds
gear: 30 pounds

hey! i'm ultralight! do i get to preach now?
Old 11-24-15, 11:06 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I want to suggest change to ideal body wt. and then add your extra body wt. in with the total gear wt.
Old 11-24-15, 04:16 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Squeezebox
I want to suggest change to ideal body wt. and then add your extra body wt. in with the total gear wt.
I am my ideal body weight ... actually, the low end of my ideal body weight.

And really, before getting all worked up about going with a super light bicycle and buying up equipment that weighs less than a breath and carrying the absolute minimum required to survive, I'd suggest getting down to your ideal body weight ... if you aren't already.
Old 11-24-15, 04:35 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am my ideal body weight ... actually, the low end of my ideal body weight.

And really, before getting all worked up about going with a super light bicycle and buying up equipment that weighs less than a breath and carrying the absolute minimum required to survive, I'd suggest getting down to your ideal body weight ... if you aren't already.
Much cheaper to lose body weight than gear weight (assuming you don't leave it at home).
Old 11-24-15, 04:46 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Walter S
Much cheaper to lose body weight than gear weight (assuming you don't leave it at home).
Especially since ultra-light stuff tends to be ultra-expensive.
Old 11-24-15, 04:54 PM
Buffalo Buff

Bikes: 2015 synapse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While I agree about getting to your ideal body weight....dropping weight from the bike feels a lot different than dropping weight from yourself. It's not a 1:1 comparison IMO.
Old 11-24-15, 05:18 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Especially since ultra-light stuff tends to be ultra-expensive.
And since it costs nothing to eat less and be more active
Old 11-25-15, 12:45 AM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Agree. One year.

Available bikes/racks/equipment doesn't vary much in a few months so why have an artificial limit to thread? Seems simpler to have a continuing thread than other replicating same info.

In RE body vs luggage weight it's all about the terrain eh? Went on experimental loaded camping tour in the mountains & was pretty grueling though included weird feeling of getting stronger but tireder thru the weekend. So for extended hilly tours doesn't one become accustomed to the effort? Also BTW bikes & equipment don't always scale down easily for lighter riders. Most stuff designed for mid-weight folks so Clydes deal w/breakage & lightweights have to push more % of body weight.
Old 11-25-15, 01:00 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Buffalo Buff
While I agree about getting to your ideal body weight....dropping weight from the bike feels a lot different than dropping weight from yourself. It's not a 1:1 comparison IMO.
Not sure about this. I agree it feels different, weight on the bike changes its handling and gives one a sense of hauling a load in a way that being fat does not. However, if in losing weight one retains one's power - which may be quite a big if - I think the physics of it would be the same. 20 pounds off my fat carcass would have as big an impact as shedding 20lbs of luggage, assuming the wind resistance of the panniers remained constant. And, of course, losing the weight off myself would mean I retained the advantage even when riding unloaded. Now that's an attractive prospect.
Old 11-25-15, 02:37 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
1- I think it's great to be able to look at an old topic, don't see a downside to reading older stuff.

2- on this topic, one other factor to the bike+gear= less than half body weight general rule is how strong a rider is, legs, cardio and all that.

I'm a skinny guy who is probably very average in terms of power, but some big guys with big legs really do have the equivalent of big diesel engine power. I'm the opposite, but then again a big person who is overweight can also be out of shape a lot, so lots of factors going on here.

For me the half rule pretty much reflects what works for me.
Old 11-25-15, 03:15 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by djb

I'm a skinny guy...

For me the half rule pretty much reflects what works for me.
These two statements may be in some way related...

In my case, half my body weight is 100lbs. That's a lot extra to haul up the mountains, diesel power or no.
Old 11-25-15, 07:17 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
Don't forget chasm, it's "bike+gear" weight that this general, more of less rule (recommendation is how I think of it) applies to.

ie my bike at 30+40 load=70 , which is about half of my 140 body weight

But yes, I suspect you are right nonetheless
Old 11-25-15, 07:30 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Don't forget chasm, it's "bike+gear" weight that this general, more of less rule (recommendation is how I think of it) applies to.

ie my bike at 30+40 load=70 , which is about half of my 140 body weight
I'm not forgetting. I've never toured with a combined bike/luggage weight of above 80lbs. I certainly wouldn't care to add another 20lbs to that if any climbing were involved - and on my tours, some climbing always is. These days my combined load is likely to be no more than 60lbs, less than one third of my body weight. Of course, one has to remember that in one sense the bigger rider has an advantage. Let's say I weigh 50% more than you. If we compile similar gear lists, mine - including the bike - won't weigh close to 50% more than yours. So bumping my load up to the half body weight criterion would simply mean I was taking far more stuff than I needed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.