Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Music while riding.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Music while riding.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-08, 04:59 AM
pianodude
Giant TCR 2 Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Music while riding.

I don't do it... but I have seen some people riding with headphones in their ears...

This is bad... right??
Old 04-18-08, 05:04 AM
alexva

Bikes: 08 CAAD9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find it quite good actually.
Old 04-18-08, 05:09 AM
Thulsadoom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 51 Posts
Tons of people ride with music. Just like jogging, skating, walking, whatever, it's usually better with a little music. Some will say it's dangerous, but so is driving a car. Lot's of people do it anyways.
Old 04-18-08, 05:11 AM
svidrod

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
perhaps it is more dangerous, but i prefer it.
Old 04-18-08, 05:12 AM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Old 04-18-08, 05:18 AM
Jerseysbest
J E R S E Y S B E S T

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The thing it takes away from you is being able to hear approaching vehicles. But since I can't see them, and I'm gonna keep a straight, consistent line while riding, it really doesn't matter. If a driver isn't paying attention, drifts off the road and hits me at 45mph, there's nothing I could've done to prevent it unless I had a mirror. So there, you aren't 100% safe unless you get a mirror. So get a mirror.
Old 04-18-08, 05:22 AM
ottsville
sidelined

Bikes: 2005 Scattante R660, Kona Race Light SS conversion, 2007 Schwinn Fastback CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In-ear headphones are also illegal in many areas. But yeah. Music good.
Old 04-18-08, 05:53 AM
KinjaBoy

Bikes: Cannondale Blue RC5AL, Cannondale SR500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's either that or y'all have to listen to me sing.

God help you all.

:shudder:
Old 04-18-08, 05:55 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
When riding solo I have the ipod playing. When in a group the ipod gets put away. I can't stand riding in a group with someone that can't hear what is going on with all of the other riders. We had one instance where the guy with the ipod was the front rider and he missed the turn. We tried yelling at him but it didn't work. I think he realized it a few minutes later, we never saw him again that day though.
Old 04-18-08, 06:12 AM
TheJackMove
Insert witty phrase here

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Group ride-certainly not smart to do IMHO, there is too much going on that needs attention, not to mention that group rides, at least for the first 10-20 minutes, are time for socializing with the other riders in the club/team.

Solo ride- I have been putting one earphone in, in my right ear (away from cars). I have not had any trouble hearing vehicles approaching and the music is nice. Only problem is when songs that are not in stereo come on, you only get one channel and they sound pretty funny. Try listening to the Beatles or older Stones stuff in one ear phone.
Old 04-18-08, 07:25 AM
azdroptop

Bikes: 03 Lemond, 08 S-works Tarmac SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride with Music 99% of the time when by myself. I can hear cars just fine even with the phones in. Helps to pass the time on long rides. Just don't crank them.
Old 04-18-08, 08:21 AM
Pharmr
Home, home again

Bikes: Scott S10, Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride with tunes on every solo ride...can't imagine not having my mp3 on some of them....both ears in...in ear headphones
Old 04-18-08, 08:25 AM
munkyv22
You got Madoned!

Bikes: 2006 Trek Madone 5.2 SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh God. Not this crap again. I am getting out before all the self-righteous pricks start in on their tirades.

Can we get a sticky that says never to ask about this or wearing vs no wearing a helmet again?
Old 04-18-08, 08:27 AM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by pianodude
I don't do it... but I have seen some people riding with headphones in their ears...

This is bad... right??
i can think of worse things, like asking a question that's already been asked AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN...
Old 04-18-08, 08:29 AM
munkyv22
You got Madoned!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by botto
i can think of worse things, like asking a question that's already been asked AGAIN, and AGAIN...
Agreed. Can a mod please lock/kill this thread before we have another 10+ page flame war that resolves nothing?
Old 04-18-08, 08:33 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
riding is music. Why drown it out with excess amounts of noise. I need no incentives to go for a ride.

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 04-18-08, 09:23 AM
Hearnia
better than you

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What are some good headphones that will stay in while you have a helmet on?
Old 04-18-08, 09:51 AM
Jerseysbest
J E R S E Y S B E S T

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hearnia
The ones the come with the ipod's don't stay in at all for me normally, so I bought some cheapie $10 ones that go inside your ear. Not the greatest sound, but they're cheap and expendable, and they stay in the entire ride.
Old 04-18-08, 09:55 AM
munkyv22
You got Madoned!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hearnia
https://www.shure.com/PersonalAudio/P...dels/index.htm
Old 04-18-08, 12:06 PM
Shanners

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definately! Huge motivator as well for the long rides when your listening to some high tempo electro or trance. Or to get more aggressive, rock. I chose ultimate ears super.fi pros. Amazing sound quality! Had some sure e4's before. The shures in ear line will tend to be more bassy but I prefer the clarity of the ultimate ears. Also ultimate ears you will get dual driver ear phones for a cheaper price compared to shures. Theres another pretty good brand begins with a 'v' which do cheaper still good in ear phones.
Old 04-18-08, 12:12 PM
jacob.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LMFAO! $500.00 bucks for earphones. Wtf, my bike didnt even cost that much.
Old 04-18-08, 12:14 PM
explody pup

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Do you count helmetless trainer miles as regular miles when you're shaving your legs while listening to your ipod?

Old 04-18-08, 12:16 PM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
Are You All Crazy?!?? Riding With Headphones Is The Most Dangerous Thing In The World! You Might As Well Ride A Carbon Fiber Bike Without A Helmet While Flipping Off Every Passing Driver!

Old 04-18-08, 12:34 PM
aham23
grilled cheesus

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by explody pup
Do you count helmetless trainer miles as regular miles when you're shaving your legs while listening to your ipod?

wait, we are not suppose to wear our helmets while on the trainer or shaving our legs.

why am i always last to know?

later.
Old 04-18-08, 12:42 PM
Bontrager

Bikes: Road, MTB, Folding, Commuting bikes...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do they make speakers that clip to your seat or handlebars?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.