Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-19, 07:31 AM
ironnerd
Blue Collar Cyclist

Bikes: Motobecane Gravel X1, Iron Horse Maverick 1.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Nikola88
Hi, I think the easy way to try this:
1. Tektro RL520 brake levers for v-brakes ◄ nice!
2. Shimano SL-a050 road paddle shifters ◄ so ugly their cool - and they turn my click-shifters into feel-shifters
3. Adjustable stem, so you can find your position ◄ Good idea.
4. Tires Maxxis DTH ◄ I would like to stick with sub 2" width tires - just a preference.
Your pedals hitting ground may be caused by installing front fork that is not suspension corrected, simply the new rigid fork is shorter and it lowered your bottom bracket
@Nikola88 - THANKS!
Those look like very cost-effective solutions! (about $65 for the major components on Amazon, plus cables (which the bike needs anyway)). Not nearly as painful as I thought it would be.
Of course, I'll need bars...
5. UPANBIKE Fixed Gear Bike Road Bicycle Drop Bar Bent Handlebar Aluminum Alloy 25.4mm: $21 on Amazon and they will probably weigh a little less than the 60-something cm steel bars I have now.
So, $86, plus cables and bar tape - not bad for a cool transformational weekend project.

@jskita - nice bike. This may sound strange, but tell me about that kickstand.

Last edited by ironnerd; 04-20-19 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Added links to products
Old 04-20-19, 07:54 AM
Nikola88

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ironnerd
@Nikola88 - THANKS!
Those look like very cost-effective solutions! (about $65 for the major components on Amazon, plus cables (which the bike needs anyway)). Not nearly as painful as I thought it would be.
Of course, I'll need bars...
5. UPANBIKE Fixed Gear Bike Road Bicycle Drop Bar Bent Handlebar Aluminum Alloy 25.4mm: $21 on Amazon and they will probably weigh a little less than the 60-something cm steel bars I have now.
So, $86, plus cables and bar tape - not bad for a cool transformational weekend project.
Those bars have a very deep drop, your stem should have a high rise so the top of the bars align with your saddle atleast.

The shifter that i recommended is a simple solution that should work decent when adjusted and easy on the wallet if you dont like the setup in the end
Old 04-20-19, 10:34 AM
ironnerd
Blue Collar Cyclist

Bikes: Motobecane Gravel X1, Iron Horse Maverick 1.0

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Those bars have a very deep drop, your stem should have a high rise so the top of the bars align with your saddle atleast.
Roger that. It's not visible in the picture, but the top of the stem is level with the top of the seat.
Thanks again.
Old 04-20-19, 04:19 PM
jskita

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
@Nikola88. You can pick one up from Amazon !
Old 04-20-19, 04:39 PM
Kdogbikes

Bikes: Gitane tdf,Schwinn 12.2,2 continentals,miyata310,univega supra soort,couple peugeots,ou8,ou10,a few mtb's and other bikes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 74 Posts

Finally got the fit spot on on the Kuwi. Went with an up swept bar that feels great all positions. Canti brakes need work especially the rear which aren’t doing much. Any recommendations on how to secure top tube brake routing? That may help rear brake performance. A lot different feel on 26s compared to my many 271/4 bikes. Feels great in the dirt though.
Likes For Kdogbikes:
Old 04-21-19, 07:39 PM
Phyoomz

Bikes: '96 Trek 800, '10 Specialized Allez (Steel), '17 Surly Steamroller

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by due ruote
Mounted a bag. An excuse to post another pic and keep this thread going!
Lovely pic. Are those Big Apple's or Super Moto's?
Old 04-22-19, 06:36 PM
shipwreck

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Picked this Marlin up a week ago at a local thrift shop for five bucks. Wheels, BB, plastic on the brakes, pretty much everything was shot, the headset, stem, post, crank, and front derailleur are all I kept.
Will put a different crank on it now that I know its a keeper. It fits surprisingly well, I've done about forty miles on it on three short rides. For some reason, I am really sore after riding it, but in a good way, cause I'm really cranking hard due to the excellent fit. Running Serfas Drifter tires on it, since my rides include lots of crummy flint roads and pavement both. Seriously considering getting rid of a couple of other bikes now that I have this, in fact I stripped down a High Sierra last night as a start to that. This one will be getting some better parts soon.

Last edited by shipwreck; 04-22-19 at 06:52 PM.
Likes For shipwreck:
Old 04-22-19, 08:29 PM
bcpriess

Bikes: Masi Giramondo, Trek 830 monstercross build, Raleigh Gran Sport, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts

1991 Scott Boulder, tange cromo double butted tubes, originaly yellow-black-neonorange but now faded to crusty ochre-black-beige, it was found behind an old garage under a tarp, a little bit of surface spots but nothing too bad, there were no wheels and crankset, but everything else was there (but rusted)
So i cleaned it, dissasembled everything, used what i can, collected various parts from my parts/junk bin, i only bought chain, cables, tires/tubes and cassete,
I had a Lovemud bomber handlebar that i never could dial in on my previous bikes, now i got it just right and ohhh now i understand wheels are early '90.-s araya rims/exage hubs/stainless spokes, brakes are tektro cr720, rd is old deoreXT, shifter is shimano something thumb trigger mounted really weird for the time being but it works, levers are some old shimanos, crankset is an unknown green thing 104bcd with a narrow-wide 34t ring...
My plans are to ride it a bit and dial everything in, find a new shifter solution (maybe even friction) and when im satisfied dissasemble it, powdercoat frame and fork, clean up and polish everything up, maybe even make some repro decals as i like the old scott ones
Yr Scott has a real ac cosmic stallion vibe the way the paint faded. Very attractive ride!
Old 04-23-19, 07:40 AM
SeanBikes
Cyclist

Bikes: 1987 Nishiki Altron 7000 (Road), 1983 Norco Monterey (Fixed-gear), 2005 Kona Blast (MTB), 2008 Lemond Poprad (CX)

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jskita
I can finally post an image!

Love that frame!
Old 04-23-19, 07:58 AM
Nikola88

Originally Posted by bcpriess
Yr Scott has a real ac cosmic stallion vibe the way the paint faded. Very attractive ride!
Thank you, had to look it up, that is a nice paintjob gives me ideas.
Old 04-23-19, 10:43 AM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
2. Shimano SL-a050 road paddle shifters
Those look pretty cool as a low-dollar alternative to bar-end shifters, "brifters", Genevalle, etc. Thanks for mentioning them. I don't think I've ever seen those before.

I see they're described as 2 or 3-speed friction front and 7-speed indexed rear on some sites (Amazon) but only 2x7 on other sites (including Shimano's own website). Amazon's listing didn't have a pull-down menu to select the 2-speed set or the 3-speed set, so I'm guessing it's one set that can be used either way.

This is probably a dumb question, but does the front derailleur determine if the front shifter is 2 or 3 speed? In other words, if you put them on a bike with a 3x FD, will the lever simply move farther and pull more cable than it would on a bike with a 2x FD? This is assuming FDs are properly adjusted, of course. I think this is right but I'd like to get a second opinion, please, if anyone knows for sure.

These might be just the ticket for a 3x7 MTB I haven't finished yet that will frequently be locked up in the same place outdoors, so I'm trying to keep it inexpensive.
Old 04-23-19, 10:55 AM
Nikola88

Originally Posted by Squeeze
Those look pretty cool as a low-dollar alternative to bar-end shifters, "brifters", Genevalle, etc. Thanks for mentioning them. I don't think I've ever seen those before.

I see they're described as 2 or 3-speed friction front and 7-speed indexed rear on some sites (Amazon) but only 2x7 on other sites (including Shimano's own website). Amazon's listing didn't have a pull-down menu to select the 2-speed set or the 3-speed set, so I'm guessing it's one set that can be used either way.

This is probably a dumb question, but does the front derailleur determine if the front shifter is 2 or 3 speed? In other words, if you put them on a bike with a 3x FD, will the lever simply move farther and pull more cable than it would on a bike with a 2x FD? This is assuming FDs are properly adjusted, of course. I think this is right but I'd like to get a second opinion, please, if anyone knows for sure.

These might be just the ticket for a 3x7 MTB I haven't finished yet that will frequently be locked up in the same place outdoors, so I'm trying to keep it inexpensive.
I have tried looking at a pdf from shimano and it says its friction for 2 chainrings, and road specific for mounting beside the stem on drop bars, maybe they would work for 3x chainrings but on a road FD??? different pull ratio than mtb FD but i dont really know, first time saw that shifter on a decathlon triban 100, its a cheap gravel bike 1x7speed, so it had only the rear derailleur (tourney)

***Edit:
After looking at a few videos it looks like they were installed on a cheap vilano road bike that had a 3x7 drivetrain, so i guess it would work, though crudely

Last edited by Nikola88; 04-23-19 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-23-19, 02:14 PM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
Thanks @Nikola88. Sounds like they're probably more trouble than they're worth, especially given the time and effort they would take to install, remove, and re-install old or other parts if they don't work as expected.

That may be the reason I can't remember seeing them before at this forum or out in the real world.
Old 04-24-19, 12:28 AM
t_e_r_r_y

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
i just picked up this univega alpina s6.7 frame while drunk ebay shopping for something to build into a drop bar dirt tourer. while i probably overpaid a bit, i'm super excited about it! next on the list is a rigid fork for it.

question, i've been lurking bikeforums.net for years, but never really paid a lot of attention - do people do build posts here? like, should i start a post documenting building this thing up?
Old 04-24-19, 07:59 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
Originally Posted by t_e_r_r_y

question, i've been lurking bikeforums.net for years, but never really paid a lot of attention - do people do build posts here? like, should i start a post documenting building this thing up?
Yes we do and by all means, start one please! I love build threads.
Old 04-24-19, 09:25 AM
Obeast
100% Certified Beast

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
I notice most people don´t install kickstands. I find them very useful on these sort of cross builds.
Old 04-24-19, 09:36 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Obeast
I notice most people don´t install kickstands. I find them very useful on these sort of cross builds.
Standing a bike with a kickstand is like jerking upwards with foot retention to do a bunny hop, or eating with chopsticks by stabbing your food.

Old 04-24-19, 10:59 AM
steelnutcase

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not sure if this counts as an MTB because Miyata sold it as an ATB... This is a 1989 TripleCross. It is 700c x35 with Schwalbe Supremes, 38s would be a tight fit. It came with flat bars but switched out easily. A very light bike, 23.5 pounds stock. It is probably about 25 lbs now with drop bars and racks.
Old 04-24-19, 11:11 AM
Nikola88

Originally Posted by steelnutcase
Not sure if this counts as an MTB because Miyata sold it as an ATB... This is a 1989 TripleCross. It is 700c x35 with Schwalbe Supremes, 38s would be a tight fit. It came with flat bars but switched out easily. A very light bike, 23.5 pounds stock. It is probably about 25 lbs now with drop bars and racks.
I love that shade of blue
Old 04-25-19, 08:44 AM
steelnutcase

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
1984 Peugeot Canyon Express

I bought the frame years ago - the seller started sanding but gave up on the project. There was still indication of Peugeot but not the model - Canyon Express is the only model that fit given tire size, canti brakes, lugs, and fork crown. I had it powdercoated. I have used it on a couple tours. Comfortable, not very quick but I have had it up to 45+ mph loaded on a downhill section of road. Handlebar mounted shifters
Likes For steelnutcase:
Old 04-25-19, 08:48 AM
steelnutcase

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
1985 Trek 850

My original plan was to build this as a 650B but I finished it as a 26". Haven't ridden it enough to form an opinion. I have it set up as a 2x7 - I don't have any real need for more than about 85 gear-inches for a high gear but want about 20 on the bottom end. Tange Prestige tubing.
Likes For steelnutcase:
Old 04-25-19, 08:55 AM
steelnutcase

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
1993 Diamondback Overdrive Comp

One of the "original" 29ers. True Temper OX tubing, maximum tire size about a 48 (originally with 45). I bought as a frame. I have used it on a couple 150-200 mile day rides. It is not quick, 1-2 mph slower than the Miyata TripleCross. Set up as a 2x9. I figure it is my best bike for gravel and rough roads. I have one more MTB drop bar conversion, a 1983 Bianchi Grizzly, that I use for winter commuting but I have put it away for the season. I'll try to remember to post some pictures when I next get it down
Old 05-09-19, 05:04 PM
imabeliever1

Bikes: Bicycles, Yes

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 47 Posts
86 Diamondback Ascent. Just converted yesterday. Already feels better than upright bars it had.
Old 05-11-19, 04:50 PM
Kdogbikes

Bikes: Gitane tdf,Schwinn 12.2,2 continentals,miyata310,univega supra soort,couple peugeots,ou8,ou10,a few mtb's and other bikes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 74 Posts

Ride snack

I’m 6’1 so fit is a bit tall but feels good while riding.
Out on the Kuwahara today. Set up pretty good. Still need a way to secure rear brake line to top tube. Some pics along Lake Erie.
Likes For Kdogbikes:
Old 05-14-19, 05:19 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by imabeliever1
86 Diamondback Ascent. Just converted yesterday. Already feels better than upright bars it had.
Got one of these in yellow. Its 23", which makes it a bit of a french fit as a road bike. It's down the project list but It would be great to hear you thoughts on how your conversion works out.

Last edited by bark_eater; 05-14-19 at 07:10 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.