Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Winter clothing guide??

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Winter clothing guide??

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-14, 07:27 AM
amazinmets73

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Winter gloves? I'm currently using a pair of Shimano Windstoppers over some Under Armour gloves. I went for a 11 mile ride in 32-35 degree weather and nope, they're not going to cut it.

Are ski gloves really my best bet?
Old 11-16-14, 12:11 AM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
I hear mechanics gloves with wool gloves underneath work well.
Old 11-16-14, 08:20 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
I think that when folks are enquiring about gear that it would help if we knew where they were and what kind of climate they are dealing with... then we will know if they need a wetsuit or a parka.

Old 11-16-14, 04:19 PM
amazinmets73

I'm in the Northeast... Philadelphia area but I travel to NYC often.
Old 11-16-14, 04:20 PM
amazinmets73

Originally Posted by zymphad
I hear mechanics gloves with wool gloves underneath work well.
I'm a vegan, so wool gloves are out...

Does anyone have any recommendations for ski gloves?
Old 11-16-14, 05:11 PM
judyomega

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was out biking in 9 F degree actual temp today (with a nasty wind) for about 10 miles, and my hands were toasty warm (almost too warm when the wind was at my back) wearing Pearl Izumi Select soft shell gloves over smartwool liners. (I see you're vegan, and I think there are lots of synthetic liners out there that would serve as well.) I intentionally bought them over-sized to accommodate liners and allow a little air-gap. One of the worst things you can do is wear gloves that are too tight when it's cold.
Old 11-16-14, 05:59 PM
at_hiker59

Bikes: mtn. bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
BarMitts - are so worth the cost. Its nice to wear fingerless gloves in winter. I put chemical heat packets in to warm up.
Old 11-17-14, 09:42 AM
erig007

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by amazinmets73
I'm a vegan, so wool gloves are out...

Does anyone have any recommendations for ski gloves?
heated gloves and/or barmitts
Since it rains a lot around NYC there is also neoprene gloves/mitts for wet rides around freezing (not for rides at 20F and below)
https://www.scubacenter.com/scubacent...uit_Gloves.htm
https://whitesdiving.com/military/hea...finger-mitts1/

Last edited by erig007; 11-17-14 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-18-14, 11:50 AM
amazinmets73

I bought the Pearl Izumi elite softshell gloves. Now, for liners....
Old 11-18-14, 03:17 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
thick polar Fleece pants inside rain gear for wind block ..
Old 11-22-14, 06:31 AM
z3px

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by slvoid
130+: Wuss out.

115-130: Shorts, loose white long sleeve mesh jersey, ride slower. Cycling socks. Shoes with lots of mesh.

100-115: Shorts, loose jersey. Cycling socks. Shoes with lots of mesh.

-45 - -15 degrees: long sleeve top, fleece sweater (down sweater near -45), windproof jacket, tights, fleece pants, windproof pants. Balaclava, ski-mask/heat exchanger, ear warmers, goggles. Down gloves (with liner near -45). Wool hiking socks. Shoes with no mesh. Arm and feet chemical warmers stuffed under gloves and booties.

Below -45 F: Wuss out.

But I usually push pretty hard so I warm up. If I'm going a bit slower, bump everything up by 1 layer. Also, this is in the city, where I'll be drafting heat off cars and doing a lot of stop and go (which means the wind isn't continuously sucking heat off my body). It'll usually be a few degrees colder on the open road vs. the city so dress appropriately.
This has been my reference guide for the past several years for the start of the season. I should just print this post and laminate it on a card...The original is the 4th post in this thread.
Old 11-23-14, 11:02 AM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
For gloves. I wear those brown cotton jersey gloves that you see in convenience stores for about $2.50. I get the insulated ones. Believe it or not they keep my hands warm and comfortable down into the upper 20's. Then I switch to Loki mittens. They're not cheap but they are effective.And they include a pocket for a hand warmer. clever. But you won't need one with these.
Old 11-29-14, 09:16 PM
kriscanuck

Bikes: Specialized Road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For winter riding gloves I use the Pearl Izumi PRO softshell lobster glove. The three finger design helps keep my fingers toasty, sometimes too warm. I ride in KC and in the winter here its regularly 20F not including the wind chill. They're not cheap, but you can usually find them onsale online for a decent price. Here's the link the Pearl website to see the gloves:P.R.O. Softshell Lobster Glove - Pearl Izumi
I love these gloves. Worth it.
Old 12-04-14, 06:29 PM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I just picked up a thin, fleece balaclava on ebay with free shipping. Onyx X system tech Heavyweight fleece balaclava. I'll use this one when it gets below 30f. Not too thick, just right. Soft fleece that feels like a blanket on your face. $19.49. Ebay has a good selection of balaclavas, most with free shipping. You can't beat that.

We have a new REI store that opened recently. And when I saw their prices for balaclavas, I nearly fell down. The only thin ones were over 30$.
Old 12-11-14, 09:54 PM
amazinmets73

I'm in the market for a winter jacket for 35-10 degree Fahrenheit temps. Any suggestions? Max budget is 150, and even that is stretching it.
Old 12-12-14, 10:28 PM
amazinmets73

Originally Posted by judyomega
I was out biking in 9 F degree actual temp today (with a nasty wind) for about 10 miles, and my hands were toasty warm (almost too warm when the wind was at my back) wearing Pearl Izumi Select soft shell gloves over smartwool liners. (I see you're vegan, and I think there are lots of synthetic liners out there that would serve as well.) I intentionally bought them over-sized to accommodate liners and allow a little air-gap. One of the worst things you can do is wear gloves that are too tight when it's cold.
Link to sythetic liners similar to the smartwool liners? I'm using Pearl Izumi elite softshell and Cannondale LE gloves and lining them with the stock liners I recieved with the Cannondale gloves. Still getting cold hands on rides in the 30s, although it's bearable.
Old 01-06-15, 12:53 PM
nayr497

Bikes: How'd I get this many?

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm in central NC so it doesn't get too cold for me; I grew up in upstate NY.

Just get set up royally for cold weather riding in these parts. Got a nice Canari jacket for the holidays. Hi viz, lots of pockets, NOT race fit (all my other jackets are but wearing them over street clothes makes ya feel like a sausage!). Great jacket that isn't so nice or expensive that I'd mind getting it dirty.

Also got a Solo CC possum fur under-helmet cap. Very nice. Not too heavy, perfect for these parts as freezing is about as cold as it gets.

My commutes just got MUCH better.
Old 01-07-15, 03:26 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
I just saw this today, good stuff! The 5 Commandments Of Winter Warmth "In Antarctica, on my fat-bike expedition, I even biked in a base layer T-shirt."

and here's another I just saw for the first time yesterday: Civia Cycles
Old 01-13-15, 10:40 AM
overbyte

Bikes: 3 folders, 2 recumbents (1 is electric), 1 recumbent trike, 1 touring, 1 mountain, 1 road bike -- So many bicycles, so little time.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Solving the problem of breath fog on your goggles during cold weather riding

A neck/face-warmer that protects your goggles from fogging up: the "North45 Scarf". Here's a review Review: North45 scarf keeps your goggles from fogging up. Here's the manufacturer's link: North45 Scarf | North45. The front flap diverts your breath downward so it doesn't condense on your goggles. It attaches by magnets glued to the bottom frame of your ski-type goggles. Glue included. You supply the ski-goggles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
north45-scarf-review.jpg (37.2 KB, 625 views)
Old 01-13-15, 11:02 AM
overbyte

Bikes: 3 folders, 2 recumbents (1 is electric), 1 recumbent trike, 1 touring, 1 mountain, 1 road bike -- So many bicycles, so little time.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Military surplus Extreme Cold Weather Mittens

I bought a pair of unused genuine US military mittens with wool-nylon-blend liner gloves to try for cold winter riding but haven't had the occasion to try them yet. Price is good. You know the US military makes heavy-duty stuff that is designed to do the job and last a long time. Here's where I got mine: Gloves & Mittens - Trigger Finger Mittens & Liners - Allegheny Surplus Outlet. They have a "trigger finger" design. That is, the index finger is separate from the rest of the fingers, just like the thumb in an ordinary set of gloves is separated. The 3-finger section is big enough that you can put all 4 fingers in it if you don't need the index finger dexterity, and you can even put a handwarmer in there. It has a gauntlet that gathers around your arm and an adjustment strap that gathers at your wrist.
Old 01-30-15, 10:10 AM
Fly2High

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Secteur Sport

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
With so many wearing non bike specific clothing, do you forgo using/needing a chamois?

I do not see many posting that they wear bike shorts under tights or fleece pants.

Is it no longer an issue?

Frank
Old 02-13-15, 08:45 PM
Diablito

Bikes: Voodoo Canzo, BMC Granfondo

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
25° here and the only thing that gets cool is the bottom of my feet which I'm in the process of looking for Aerogel insoles. But this is what n I been using

Mavic Inferno Jacket with Balaclava -Excellent Jacket with lots of zippered vent were I need them.
LL Bean Mid Weight Polartec Fleece long sleeve
45NRTH Merino Wool Cap - which when paired with helmet cover I sweat my brains off but cap stays warm.
Duluth Waterproof Winter Gloves these work great and only $40
Nike dri fit socks
Shimano XC90 shoes
Thick Neoprene Booties
4ucycling Windproof Athletic Pant - Excellent pants for $40
Pearl Izumi padded under shorts
Oakley Racing Jackets
Maybe a waterproof helmet cover if my head is still cool. But this tends to make my cap really sweaty so I haven't really been using it but I do bring it along with me.

Last edited by Diablito; 02-13-15 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-02-15, 01:29 PM
illusiumd

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Diablito
25° here and the only thing that gets cool is the bottom of my feet which I'm in the process of looking for Aerogel insoles. But this is what n I been using

Mavic Inferno Jacket with Balaclava -Excellent Jacket with lots of zippered vent were I need them.
LL Bean Mid Weight Polartec Fleece long sleeve
45NRTH Merino Wool Cap - which when paired with helmet cover I sweat my brains off but cap stays warm.
Duluth Waterproof Winter Gloves these work great and only $40
Nike dri fit socks
Shimano XC90 shoes
Thick Neoprene Booties
4ucycling Windproof Athletic Pant - Excellent pants for $40
Pearl Izumi padded under shorts
Oakley Racing Jackets
Maybe a waterproof helmet cover if my head is still cool. But this tends to make my cap really sweaty so I haven't really been using it but I do bring it along with me.
Hey can we get a couple more recent lists like this here? Much thanks!
Old 10-05-15, 06:43 AM
Fly2High

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Secteur Sport

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by illusiumd
Hey can we get a couple more recent lists like this here? Much thanks!
Have you read post #4 ?

Without brand names doesn't this cover it? Otherwise, each year as products are discontinued we will need to redo this list. Not to mention you really won't know if this year's models are good enough until they are used for a season but then next year they might not be available.
Old 11-11-15, 07:55 AM
eatontkd

Bikes: 1984 Cannondale road w/ MANY upgrades, 2017 Trek Fx7.5 Hybrid, 1953 Rudge "work-in-progress", a 1956 Hercules "Royal Prince", and an unknown year, unknown frame lot's a fun single-speed!

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 58 Posts
[QUOTEWithout brand names doesn't this cover it? Otherwise, each year as products are discontinued we will need to redo this list. Not to mention you really won't know if this year's models are good enough until they are used for a season but then next year they might not be available. [/QUOTE]

At the risk of adding more brands to this list: I live in Central PA and have recently "rediscovered" bicycling (at age 55...)! I've recently purchased a Walz wool w/ ear flap cap that works really well under my helmet and looks, um, cool when I'm off the bike on errands. They're made in the U.S., which may or may not be important, but what is important; well made! Might be a bit "old school" for some... disclaimer: I receive no kick backs from this personal endorsement

Walz Caps - The Classic American Cap - Cycling, Running, Golf Caps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.