Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2013!! How Was your Commute Today?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2013!! How Was your Commute Today?

Old 12-10-13, 06:37 AM
FenderTL5

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX, Diamondback Edgewood hybrid, KHS Montana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
warm snow late last night, then colder (20s).
So it was crunchy snow on top of a sheet of ice. Anywhere that looked 'clear' was actually ice.
I went multi-modal again, 4 miles on the bike the rest was on the MTA. I fell once, off the road in the parking lot where I catch the bus.
There was just no turning - at all.

Note to self: put lights on the mountain bike for days such as this.

Last edited by FenderTL5; 12-10-13 at 07:38 AM.
Old 12-10-13, 07:13 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Well, one out two isn't bad sometimes. The local forecasters had called for all-day rain yesterday and today. I went ahead and rode yesterday because there was a "window" at the time of my morning commute and got lucky in the afternoon too, with just light misty rain both ways. It was a great day to try out my rain gear and everything worked well. My new Showers Pass jacket kept me dry without getting all sweaty inside, and the new Cascadia fenders on my touring bike kept the road spray off me, although I must have hit some muddy patches because my bike was filthy when I got home.

Today was supposed to be even worse, so I basically decided to drive after watching the evening news last night and slept in this morning. I was feeling kind of guilty when the radar showed no rain in sight, but it was a deceptively heavy mist that wasn't picking up on radar. During my drive to work it was raining quite hard at times, so I definitely would have gotten soaked if I had ridden today. Sunny skies are forecasted for the rest of the work week, so I should be good to go after today. I wore my SP jacket to work and it functions well as a regular rain jacket if you fasten the hood. I am glad that I exchanged the size Medium for a Large because the M would have been too small to wear over street clothes. The L is a little loose when worn over just base layers but should fit perfect over jersey.
Old 12-10-13, 07:34 AM
droy45
tougher than a boiled owl

Bikes: Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There was about an inch of fresh snow and the roads looked plowed and treated so I saddled up and went. It took me almost 2 hours to get into my office. It was slow going on the shoulder of the road where I kept hitting patches of loose snow on uneven pavement and it kept me correcting the steering to keep from falling over. The rest of the roadway was just ice and I could sail on that just fine when there was no traffic behind me. I had to eventually slow down and pay close attention to the roadway ahead of me. The ride was mentally exhausting but my strength was good and an enjoyable ride regardless. Thanks to the studded tires and fenders. Tonight should be much better as most of the snow should be melted away on the shoulder and frozen to ice. A very cold snap is on the way for Thursday and Friday. As long as it doesn't snow anymore, it should be great.
Old 12-10-13, 08:45 AM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Awesome!

Oh boy, 30 degrees, and snowing..

I am pumped up for the ride this morning. Family members trying to tell me not to do it.. Sorry, I went to bed thinking and preparing for the coldazz ride in the morning. Forecast was for snow. Already made my mind up, that if the street is not covered with snow, I can make the 5 miles to the subway..After the subway, half a mile to my breakfast joint.. Half mile back to my subway.. A mile ride on the bus, and then a quarter mile to the job.. Oh boy...I am pushing racing tires on a road bike too..

For the cold temps, I am layered down big time..Takes 20 minutes or more to put it all on!! Three layers down the bottom, capped off with some jogging pants cut into shorts. Double thick socks, up top, 5 freaking layers!! with ski mask, and some smokin cold weather gloves. I had to haul it to get outside after I geared up.. Front light, a 1300 lum two real bright rear lights. However, going down the snowy road, I was a little fearful of the cars in back of me not being able to handle it.. Anyway off to the two laner, picked up a little speed, but ever so careful.

At work, I was careful to wipe the salt off my bike, and took an oil rag and wiped the chain, and other parts..Now that I am at work, I got the option of leaving the bike if the weather gets worse..All my family called me and told me I was crazy. People I saw on the street were shaking their heads.. When I exited the subway, one fella said, you riding that? I told him that at 73, I don't want to miss a dam thing.. Right now, at work in the warmth, and thinking about how good ride was, the feeling is PRICELESS!!

Picture of the bike on the bus, as I was getting off. Took that fast picture with my Galaxy Gear watch.. If I had stood still, it would have been clearer.. BTW this is my #1 beater bike.. Only my two beaters get to see this kind of weather..

Last edited by cehowardGS; 12-10-13 at 08:52 AM.
Old 12-10-13, 08:49 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
Your bike was shaking cause it was Cold.

Cool Story Old Man.

Your body may be 73, but your mind is 16 ..Keep the Fun going.

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 12-10-13 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-10-13, 09:19 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
17F this morning, actually warmer than forecast (small miracles). There was less than an inch of new snow but enough to notice the resistance - slow going but no problems. Temps supposed to drop to single digits over the next couple of days - thank you Canadian brothers and sisters for sharing your arctic air masses!
Old 12-10-13, 12:56 PM
mstraus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
About 38 F when I left the house today, about 10 degrees warmer then yesterday but still cold for San Francisco Bay area. In the 40's as I got to SF. Sun was shining but a bit more wind then yesterday. Felt much faster today, and was a few min faster. Dressed a tad warm maybe, but opened the vents on my jacket and was good.
Old 12-10-13, 02:00 PM
iamjethro

Bikes: Khs Alite 300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
About 25 when I left. Supposed to be mid 30's whnen I head home. Wore a light windproof jacket, fleece neck piece and ear warmers. almost got sick because I got too warm and teh opposite temp outside fighting my inner temp was not fun. Made me dizzy and nauseated.
Old 12-10-13, 02:24 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
3d consecutive freezing commute. I don't know how you NE commuters do it.
Old 12-10-13, 03:28 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
It was cold. Damn cold.
Old 12-10-13, 04:40 PM
Greg M

Bikes: 13 salsa vaya, 90 klein pinnacle 01 lemond poprad, 98 klein quantum race, 91 trek 1100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
34f and dry at 5:15am this morning. Comfortable ride in with light traffic, got in before
the snow began. 3 -4 inches fell but roads were clear by the end of the day. Nice
ride home with light snow and very few cars, guess the weather men scared everyone
into staying home. Almost forgot, alot of people had x-mas lights on this morning,
made for a colorful ride.
Old 12-10-13, 06:49 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

30's going home instead of the 20's this morning. I still froze.

First day with sunshine in nearly a solid week.
Old 12-10-13, 07:08 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 196 Posts
I actually think we are, or maybe, going back into a small ice age, hopefully not a major one. I've actually said this in earlier posts over the years here. Now the lowest recorded temps ever recorded on Earth was done in the Antarctic, and it beat the old record of minus 128.6 F SOUNDLY, not by a degree or two but by a whopping 6.5 or so degrees! And the Antarctic ice sheet has grown to record size while Arctic ice has shrunk, so what does all this mean? No one knows for sure. But what we do know is that a record cold has gripped much of the US.
Old 12-10-13, 07:22 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,432 Times in 1,345 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
I actually think we are, or maybe, going back into a small ice age, hopefully not a major one. I've actually said this in earlier posts over the years here. Now the lowest recorded temps ever recorded on Earth was done in the Antarctic, and it beat the old record of minus 128.6 F SOUNDLY, not by a degree or two but by a whopping 6.5 or so degrees! And the Antarctic ice sheet has grown to record size while Arctic ice has shrunk, so what does all this mean? No one knows for sure. But what we do know is that a record cold has gripped much of the US.
It's generally not good to draw big picture long term inferences from limited short term data. For example the jet stream is currently running almost directly North to South over the Rockies, sucking cold air down over the west and central states. Last year the jet stream spent almost the entire winter running west to east over Canada, then tanking a deep southerly dip over the east Atlantic.

So last year we had "global Warming" in the USA, while the Brits and French had an Ice Age.

Hopefully the jet stream will flatten and take all that arctic air across Canada and out to the Atlantic soon.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-11-13, 06:08 AM
dcb23

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
30F/-1C Dry streets, cold air, darkness.....still beats using the Metro.
Old 12-11-13, 07:20 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Coldest commute of this autumn with temps in the mid-20s. Had to be careful watching for black ice because there was a lot of drainage on the streets due to heavy rain over the past four days. It's supposed to be even colder tomorrow, but I don't mind. It's the rain, sleet, snow and ice that I don't like.
Old 12-11-13, 07:52 AM
droy45
tougher than a boiled owl

Bikes: Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by caloso
3d consecutive freezing commute. I don't know how you NE commuters do it.
The key is using the proper gear. After so many years of doing it, I have acquired quite an arsenal of specialty clothing mostly all high tech stuff and then a few articles of regular old smart wool that is always reliable. Some of my experience stems from my snowmobiling days of yesteryear but I had to quit doing that when gas prices went over $2.50/gal. Today my commute started out at 8degF with a slight cold wind off the Penobscot bay but weakened as I ventured inland and the roads were so much better than yesterday. They are all cleaned up and just ice remains so I was able to revert back to my regular speeds. A nice cup of hot coffee upon arrival at the office was great.
Old 12-11-13, 08:37 AM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First bike commute of the week, the road are still icy or covered by snow here and there so it took me about 1h25 to get to work but it's sunny out there and I felt great. A bit cold at -12° celcius and a big crosswind. There's more snow to come in the next days so I don't know when I'll be able to take the bike again. This is the time of the year when I wish for a shorter commute.
Old 12-11-13, 09:00 AM
PatrickGSR94

Doesn't seem to jive with all the reports I've heard of average world-wide temperatures slowly but steadily increasing over the years.
Old 12-11-13, 09:48 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
13F with a headwind, felt weak and slow. Then again, I am weak and slow so no surprise
Old 12-11-13, 10:04 AM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stayed home yesterday because of the snow and some extra PTO I need to use up before the end of the year. Had a very nice day with my wife watching the 5" fall. Our street didn't get plowed until early this morning.

I thought about riding in today, but not knowing how the roads were, I decided to drive. After scraping off the snow and ice from my car, I started it up (and it wasn't happy about starting...I think I need a new battery). I turned on the defroster and set the fan to high. No fan. I guess I should have replaced the fan control board when I started having the issue a few months ago. I drove it down the street and turned around. The windshield fogged up so quickly I couldn't see anything.

So I ended up having my wife drive me in. I did get to see the condition of the roads, and for the most part the shoulders are clear, so I think I'll be okay riding in tomorrow. I just need to make sure to bundle up. It was 12F when we left this morning and is supposed to be colder tomorrow. I may just wear my ski goggles.
Old 12-11-13, 10:08 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
It's generally not good to draw big picture long term inferences from limited short term data. For example the jet stream is currently running almost directly North to South over the Rockies, sucking cold air down over the west and central states. Last year the jet stream spent almost the entire winter running west to east over Canada, then tanking a deep southerly dip over the east Atlantic.

So last year we had "global Warming" in the USA, while the Brits and French had an Ice Age.

Hopefully the jet stream will flatten and take all that arctic air across Canada and out to the Atlantic soon.
Also look up the North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO) with large scale impact on the jet stream and weather patterns over North America. Basically a strong negative phase draws the jet stream down and we get more rainfall and arctic air. Positive phase pushes it more north with a northern storm track. It's variable - oscillates - and how cold or warm the winters are follows.

We got a blast of that this morning. I knew our warmth wouldn't last forever ... but dang that's cold.
Old 12-11-13, 05:21 PM
mstraus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Commute home last night was great. Not to cold (in mid to low 40s) and not much wind. Felt reasonably fast and made good time. I forgot to charge on of my rear lights, and it died before I got home. Luckily I had backups that were still on.

Sadly today I couldn't bike commute as i had to go to a client site, and same tomorrow. So much for my goal of biking 4 or 5 days this week. Maybe next week.
Old 12-11-13, 07:30 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY

Really? Funny, that's what the global warming scientist do, they take short history period and made a whole science out of it, yet all three of my local weather stations come up with 3 different weather forecasts every day and yet we look to them for wisdom? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!

But my comments on the ice age wasn't about weather here it was about the record cold in the Antarctic for the last 2 years and the Antarctic ice sheet is now larger than it's ever been in the last 35 years. So what's up with the earth? Ice sheets melting in the Arctic but growing in the Antarctic. https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...high-saturday/ But more disturbing is the fact that man seems to thrive on bad science, they refuse to look at the fact that the Earth has gone through stages where about every 100,000 years the earth cools where large areas of N America, Europe, and Asia become covered in thick ice, then the pendulum swings back to a more warmer climate where the ice retreats. The science also doesn't want to look at the fact that earth has an elliptical orbit around the sun and that the angle of the earth and the distance from the sun changes every 100,000 years, as the angle changes it cools down one pole more then the other, as the distance changes it cools down or warms up the earth as a whole. Then add onto that the fact the earth can change it's temperature very rapidly, which may explain why wooly elephants were found frozen to death with undigested food.

Of course there is more to this, and of course it's all theory, but I can't help to think we could be at the end of the 100,000 year cycle and may swing back to the ice age again...I hope not, I'm a global warming cheer leader.
Old 12-11-13, 08:54 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,432 Times in 1,345 Posts
Really? Funny, that's what the global warming scientist do, they take short history period and made a whole science out of it, yet all three of my local weather stations come up with 3 different weather forecasts every day and yet we look to them for wisdom? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!
The global warning issue has little to do with my statement, which is a simple statement of general logic principles. I'm not going to enter a debate about global warming/climate change, either pro or con, because it's not relevant to the subject at hand.

I will say, that stating a general rule of logic, doesn't imply support of those who use similar methodology. Because I think bicycle riding is a good thing, doesn't imply that I agree about all things with others who happen to agree with me about bicycle riding.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.