Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

45 North or Dogwood Design Pogies?

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

45 North or Dogwood Design Pogies?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-19, 12:37 PM
RCS1300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thought I would add my experience with Dogwood Designs Poagies version 2019/2020.

My winter mountain bike rides consist of 45 mile treks pre-dawn 4 to 5 times per week on the back roads, paved, of Connecticut mostly for exercise and fitness. Temperatures range from 35 degrees F to 6 degrees F excluding windchill.

For the past six years I have been using Kevins Icebike Mittens from Empire Wool and Canvas. They have worked well for me and get a little chilly towards the end of my 45 mile rides when temperatures dip below 15 degrees F. Due to lots of shifting the leather on the gloves become wear items and last approximately 4 years. I am on my second pair and contacted Kevin to learn that he has taken the Icebike Mittens out of production for now. So...

I investigated all of the winter cycling Poagies and decided that Dogwood Designs would best fit my needs. The added benefit for me is that they have been manufacturing Poagies for 25 years and all of the learning from that production is baked into the latest design. I purchased the Regular bicycle Poagies as my riding temperatures do not dip below -15 degrees F.

After two 45 mile rides in temperatures ranging from 30 degrees F to 33 degrees F, the Poagies work significantly better than my Icebike Mittens. The Poagies kept my hands warm the entire time on both rides and I look forward to using them in much colder temperatures. With the Icebike Mittens in these temperatures I would sometimes have to pull my thumb out of the glove and force it under my closed fist for five minutes to keep my thumb warm. With the Poagies my thumbs never got cold and I had full control of my brakes and shifters at all times. For mittens I wore Army mittens used in Rifle Gloves that can be purchased on ebay for about $10 a pair. They are mostly made out of wool and wicked the moisture away from my hand and were thick enough to provide some cushion on the handlebars. On the vent area of the Poagie that goes around the brake cables, shifting cables, and handlebars I closed them as much as possible with the bungee cord and closed off any open spaces with very small metal binder clips I had from my office at work. The set-up worked great.

Wish I went to the Dogwood Designs Poagies many years earlier. You can purchase them in a bicycle store or contact Joan directly at dogwooddesigns@gci.net. She will send you a three page catalog and accept your order directly if you cannot find the product in a retail store.