Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Old Mountain Bikers

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old Mountain Bikers

Old 11-14-19, 11:15 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
Curious where u ride ?
The single track in nwnj can be vicious.
I ride all over Southern California. Lots of climbing, lots of rocks, sand, ruts,and holes. Don't often ride in tight trees, don't do big jumps, or any jumps really. Always willing to dismount and walk if need be. Don't like "exposure", which is what they call it when a trail is a cliff on one side.
A modern bike really helps but I try to stay within my abilities and not take stupid chances.
I worry as much or more when riding on the road. I've ridden over 180,000 miles on the road bikes.

I rode off-road motorcycles for 10 years and that helped my dirt ability a bit. Actually thinking about getting another motorcycle lately, but I probably won't do it.
Likes For big john:
Old 11-14-19, 11:36 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I ride all over Southern California. Lots of climbing, lots of rocks, sand, ruts,and holes. Don't often ride in tight trees, don't do big jumps, or any jumps really. Always willing to dismount and walk if need be. Don't like "exposure", which is what they call it when a trail is a cliff on one side.
A modern bike really helps but I try to stay within my abilities and not take stupid chances.
I worry as much or more when riding on the road. I've ridden over 180,000 miles on the road bikes.

I rode off-road motorcycles for 10 years and that helped my dirt ability a bit. Actually thinking about getting another motorcycle lately, but I probably won't do it.
Gottcha.
It is difficult here not to To ride aggressively due to the terrain. I did enjoy it but the mental and physical demands required took practice.
I have been a roady/ gravel guy mostly in recent years so falling in the woods became an all to often experience when on mtb.
It suxed to fall....
Enjoy your bike
Old 11-15-19, 08:18 AM
spinconn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 23 Posts
I started this thread out of curiosity with no desire to ease up at all. My old body has a young boy inside and I bet that's true for many others. But the comments here have surprised me with their tone. Its almost as if there is a body of maturity and wisdom out there. Who would of expected that from older men?

I perceive some concepts within these comments.

Young men ("YM") have Young Male Immortality Delusion v. Old men ("OM") have mortality awareness.

YM are fitter, stronger, quicker, better awareness of the situation, more flexibility and more skill. (The most skilled still lose a step to age) v. OM have less of all of it.

Ergo, YM are more likely to complete a difficult move, or react to an unexpected problem v. OM are less.

Ergo, YM are less likely to fall/crash v. OM are more likely.

YM are less likely to get hurt if they do v. OM are more likely.

YM are less likely to get hurt badly if they get hurt at all v. OM are more likely

YM heal more quickly and more completely v. OM do not

YM have more time to recover and return to MTB and other activities v. OM have little to no time to spare

YM are less likely to die v. OM, . . . well, you know.

Added up it almost sounds like my wife could be right and I should be more prudent.

Maybe next year . . . after I learn how to bunny hop and jump.
Old 11-15-19, 09:56 AM
fly135

Bikes: iZip E3 Peak DS, Magnum Metro, GT Tachyon, K2 Sidewinder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
I'm 64 and picked up an eMTB this year. Been waiting for the temps to drop a bit before hitting the trails. But I've been able to hit a few off roads spots. In Central Florida we have some pretty cool MTB parks. Was planning to hit one up today because the temps are in the 70's, but it's raining.
Old 11-15-19, 11:35 AM
stormpeakco

Bikes: Fatback Corvus 1X12 (27.5X 2.8" & winter 26X 4.6"), Merlin Agilis 1X11

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Yep, ole paint...don't let the youngsters have all the fun.

There are old pilots and bold pilots but there are no old bold pilots.
Any old mountain bikers out there?

Just enrolled as an active member of the Medicare Peleton last month and am still an avid trail riding cyclist (mostly mtb'r ~11-12 months out of the year, less frequent during ski season). Ride a rigid, 1X12, Fatback Corvus year round (26X 4.6" winter, non-studded rubber 27.5X 2.8" non-winter rubber even on moderately technical turf in Moab) and morphing the ole Merlin ti frame roadbike to 1X11climber...yeah, I know-total heresy.

(rode full GDMBR tour two summers ago...starting in stunningly beautiful Canmore and the ONLY addition to that is a dropper post (first time) after successfully riding Fleecer Ridge in MT, with the baggy shorts briefly caught on the saddle horn...the only other brainless idiot on our tour that also rode down Fleecer Ridge was a 69 y.o., Santa Cruz sponsored mtb racer from down under. It didn't look that bad on the top but knowing how steep it gets at the end, likely wouldn't try it again...don't let the youngsters have all the fun).
Old 11-15-19, 01:51 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
He was able to call 911, it took them 45 minutes to find him
aside from having map, compass & charged cell phone which can pinpoint my location, I also carry a whistle. For outdoorsmen exploring alone in the woods, it is highly recommended for exactly this reason. They can be found in any outdoor/camping department or store & are easy to throw in your bag with your 1st aid stuff.

we have a cpl of these
Old 11-15-19, 01:52 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I'm 68 and I enjoy riding my rigid MTBs on trails. I avoid really serious stuff though.

I've often wondered if hip pads (foam inside, hardside outside similar to hocky shin guards) would help prevent broken hips in the advent of a fall onto the hip?

Cheers
Old 11-15-19, 02:08 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
I've often wondered if hip pads (foam inside, hardside outside similar to hocky shin guards) would help prevent broken hips in the advent of a fall onto the hip?
one night, while out with the girls, in Boston, Wifey fell & cracked her knee cap in 1/2, on a cobblestone curb, several years ago. the ladies she was with told me of the horror & the screaming in agony. by time I got to her in the ER her knee was really BIG. she was sent to surgery that night. within the past year I fell, alone in the woods, when I stalled going up a steep rocky path. my knee hit the dirt, but just missed a pyramid shaped rock. it dawned on me then, that I could be stranded, far from help, with a broken knee cap, in severe pain, & unable to get myself out. I searched for knee pads but never found any that fit well enough to use. but I still think knee pads make a lot of sense. maybe wrist guards too like what kids wear roller skating?

the tamer the trails, the better!

but I've gotten better with my riding skills & knowing when to just walk up an incline

back to locating yourself or helping others locate you. I got an iPhone a cpl years ago so I could "FaceTime" w/ Daughter while she was in New Zealand. been exploring it's features & about a year ago shared my location w/ her & she, me. so now either of us can bring up the "Find Friends" app. typically we can look to see where the other is, but I recently discovered that it can also locate me. I don't know everything about these feature like how to send my location to law enforcement for example, quickly & easily. but I can locate myself & so far it seems pretty darn accurate! it's been helpful getting myself turned in the right direction back to my car

Last edited by rumrunn6; 11-15-19 at 03:08 PM.
Old 11-15-19, 03:48 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I also carry a whistle. For outdoorsmen exploring alone in the woods, it is highly recommended for exactly this reason.
My buddy and I now carry whistles. I always knew to carry one as part of my hiking and backpacking kit, so now just keep it in my Camelback. I also use LiveTrack on my Garmin GPS and text my wife where I'm riding and for how long. Only issue with LiveTrack is it can be flaky, it also sends an e-mail and on my wifes e-mail account she gets bombarded with a gazillion e-mails each day from a lot of vendors, thus she never hears her phone ping when I start a ride. She'll maybe and finally know where I died, hours after the sudden stop.
Old 11-15-19, 06:15 PM
stormpeakco

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Carry a Spot

Originally Posted by Miele Man
I'm 68 and I enjoy riding my rigid MTBs on trails. I avoid really serious stuff though.
I've often wondered if hip pads (foam inside, hardside outside similar to hocky shin guards) would help prevent broken hips in the advent of a fall onto the hip? Cheers
Old 11-16-19, 02:23 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
At 62 I still ride with the desire to be fast on our technical ST’s. There are many of us older guys on the technical trails. Granted we are not getting sick air on youtube vids we still master our fears and enjoy the exhilleration of kicking out the back wheel on a tight bermed corner. The days I come in with bumps, scrapes and bruises my wife shakes her head and grins.

I ride a ‘97 Trek 7000 full rigid, aluminum frame lightweight with 26” wheels and rim brakes. The fun factor with a bike that fits and you love is way off the fun-factor charts.
Old 11-16-19, 06:26 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
At 62 I still ride with the desire to be fast on our technical ST’s. There are many of us older guys on the technical trails. Granted we are not getting sick air on youtube vids we still master our fears and enjoy the exhilleration of kicking out the back wheel on a tight bermed corner. The days I come in with bumps, scrapes and bruises my wife shakes her head and grins.

I ride a ‘97 Trek 7000 full rigid, aluminum frame lightweight with 26” wheels and rim brakes. The fun factor with a bike that fits and you love is way off the fun-factor charts.
Do you ever ride around Marquette? Bike magazine had one of their 2 week mtb tests there. Looked like fun.

https://www.bikemag.com/2018-bible-bike-tests/

Last edited by big john; 11-16-19 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-16-19, 06:45 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Originally Posted by big john
Do you ever ride around Marquette? Bike magazine had one of their 2 week mtb tests there. Looked like fun.

https://www.bikemag.com/2018-bible-bike-tests/
Not yet but I hear good things. I have gone up further to Copper Harbor and that was a treat. Would love to do that again with more time.
Old 11-17-19, 08:49 AM
stormpeakco

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Exactly

Originally Posted by jackb
I'll be 72 next month and am about to buy a mountain. I'll mainly ride hiking trails and dirt tracks, nothing technical. I'm interested in getting away from cars and traffic noise.

And by all means, consider ditching the clip ins and riding with platforms with spikes and soft rubber sole "skate shoes" for any techy-ish trails. Your elbows will love you and I've become more aggressive with some modestly technical steps and rock gardens...just knowing I'm gonna be fine without having to clip out when ones attempted feat becomes girdled down to the Clint Eastwood reality (a man has got to know...).
Likes For stormpeakco:
Old 11-17-19, 10:10 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by spinconn
my wife could be right.
Doesn't it suck when that happens?
Old 11-17-19, 10:36 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
63yo and a new 29" FS about six months ago--not because there was anything wrong with the old hardtail. I stick to easy/moderate MTB trails...there are many around here. I only do game trails on foot and then carefully. Lots of folks my age (and yours) ride MTB in these parts. I generally ride with groups (near the back), so some one is around to notice if I don't return to the parking lot in a timely manner. We donned our lights a couple of weeks ago as our group rides are now after dark.
Old 11-17-19, 11:28 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by stormpeakco

And by all means, consider ditching the clip ins and riding with platforms with spikes and soft rubber sole "skate shoes" for any techy-ish trails. Your elbows will love you and I've become more aggressive with some modestly technical steps and rock gardens...just knowing I'm gonna be fine without having to clip out when ones attempted feat becomes girdled down to the Clint Eastwood reality (a man has got to know...).

I gave up clipless several years ago. I use platform pedals with spikes on all my bikes. I love them. No clipping in and out is a luxury.
Old 11-17-19, 02:46 PM
kq2dc7

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
57 and just starting

I started mtn biking 1 year ago and love it. Last week I broke my wrist riding alone, the whistle idea is a good one. I've got 4-5 weeks before I can get back out there.

I have a 29+ plus hardtail and 27.5 fs and enjoy them both.
Old 11-17-19, 04:01 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked 2,492 Times in 1,190 Posts
I gave up clipless several years ago. I use platform pedals with spikes on all my bikes. I love them. No clipping in and out is a luxury.
I had a bolt come out on my clip and lock my foot on the pedal. Thought my ankle was going to snap before it finally popped loose. Haven't given up on them yet, but it's another pre ride check I have.
Old 11-17-19, 04:36 PM
spinconn

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Doesn't it suck when that happens?
Yeah, but she doesn't read this so she doesn't know I admitted it.
Old 11-19-19, 08:21 AM
stormpeakco

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
i gave up clipless several years ago. I use platform pedals with spikes on all my bikes. I love them. No clipping in and out is a luxury.
+1
Old 11-21-19, 09:13 PM
OldsCOOL

I settle for toe clips/straps, mostly. Sometimes the clips get in my way when slowing to get that second pedal or going uphill.
Old 11-23-19, 07:18 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 53 Posts
I am just a youngster of 65 on our trails. I’ve been mountain biking since about 1986. I still do technical trails (although I have decided my one and only ride down SMD (Super Mega Death) was my last on that trail). We are in the mountains and most of our trails would be rated black diamond i.e. very difficult. Many riders around here are in their 60s. It’s what we are used to. Modern bikes can make trails accessible that I never would have ridden a dozen years ago. I ride a FS carbon Intense Tracer 27.5 and find it very capable for the trails I ride.

Enjoy riding within your capabilities. At our age there’s really no need to try to impress anyone. I love the uphill as much or more than the down(depends on the run).

I seem to be constantly explaining to newbies that the risks of road riding are often devastating (or fatal) and often largely out of your control. Whereas the risks of mountain bike riding are usually lesser and largely in your control.

But it I also road ride.... and my only major injury was while road riding.
Likes For Mountain Mitch:
Old 11-23-19, 08:16 PM
spinconn

[QUOTE=Mountain Mitch;21220903] the risks of road riding are often devastating (or fatal) and often largely out of your control. Whereas the risks of mountain bike riding are usually lesser and largely in your control.

Pretty much sums it up.
Likes For spinconn:
Old 11-28-19, 09:05 PM
CodyDog

Bikes: Specialized Vado SL/Trek Fuel EXe

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
I'm 60 and ride a Rocky Mountain Altitude FS. I ride in Colorado and Texas on a variety of trails. Enjoy downhill the most but really love all of it. I think the more often you ride (frequency) the better as far as riding safer and smarter, falls hurt and things heal slower at this age. I really don't use my age as a deterrent, I do think more about my approach in difficult sections and take my time when in doubt than I did years ago. I ride with some guys in there 70's that can kick my butt on the trails. I want to be one of those guys when I'm 70.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.