Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Fabric Luminary Front "Be Seen" Light

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 09-12-19, 10:33 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts

I'm a fan of Fabric saddles and they make some unique products. Not for everyone, but certainly unique.

Just noticed the Luminary front light which fits between either a Wahoo or Garmin GPS and the mount.

https://fabric.cc/products/lights/lu...2-front-light/

70 lumens. Conspicuity from the side looks nice. List price appears to be about $35 US.

It might be a solution for some who need to move a light from bike to bike or to free up some space on the bar.

I'm tempted to buy one for riding around town.

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 09-12-19, 10:46 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
looks really interesting. may hafta pick one up.
Old 09-12-19, 01:15 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,381 Posts
Good as a secondary light. Having more than one can't hurt.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 09-12-19, 01:43 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Lumaray, not luminary. And some of the reviews I've read are not kind. Apparently the weight of anything bigger that perhaps a 520 is too much for the quarter-turn mount inside the Lumaray, so this can happen:

That's a big red flag for me. Which is a bummer, as I like Fabric products, and the light is attractive. I'm shopping for a dedicated be-seen front light with battery life beyond a couple of hours.
Old 09-14-19, 02:04 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Semi-update: I looked at the up-close product images, and the light has a male quarter-turn mount on the bottom (as one would expect) for using it like a sandwich between the GPS and the mount. So I then thought, I could easily just put a Garmin female mount on the bottom of my out-front mount, and run the light "upside down." Combine that with a $30 account credit at Amazon, and I'll have one in my hands on Tuesday. I'm optimistic with the light having to only hold it's own weight. I know I should be running a front light at all times, and if their 7 hour claim is good, I soon will be. Will update sometime in the upcoming few weeks.
Old 09-22-19, 01:49 PM
Secret Squirrel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Semi-update: I looked at the up-close product images, and the light has a male quarter-turn mount on the bottom (as one would expect) for using it like a sandwich between the GPS and the mount. So I then thought, I could easily just put a Garmin female mount on the bottom of my out-front mount, and run the light "upside down." Combine that with a $30 account credit at Amazon, and I'll have one in my hands on Tuesday. I'm optimistic with the light having to only hold it's own weight. I know I should be running a front light at all times, and if their 7 hour claim is good, I soon will be. Will update sometime in the upcoming few weeks.
I purchased one when they came out. Good design, but bad materials. They used a hard plastic for the quarter turn mount (PS or Abs) It feels like you are about the rip off the mount on your Garmin when you release the light. I called their customer service and they said they are not aware of any issues. SOL I will probably replace the mount later with a modified Garmin mount..
Old 09-22-19, 01:53 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Yeah, their quarter turn insert is terrible. I can't even use that side as I have a Wahoo, but I popped the old Edge 500 into it to test it out, and it made a startling crackle sound on both insertion and removal. Seems to be glued in as well, so one less level of trust.

I imagine it could be popped out and replaced with a proper nylon mount, but I'm happy with it in the "upside-down" configuration. It's lightweight, unobtrusive, and seems to work well enough as a be seen light. Battery life seems to at least match the mfr. claims.
Old 11-13-19, 04:15 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Been using the Lumaray for about 2 months now, and I have no complaints. In flashing mode it gets between 6-7 hours, enough for a few days of riding. I guess it works, no one has plowed into me-- though no one had plowed into my prior to the Lumaray either.

Still using mine "upside down," mostly due to using a Wahoo and not a Garmin-- then there is that terrible plastic of the quarter turn. I don't trust it. I'm pleased with the light regardless.
Old 11-21-19, 05:21 AM
stuartlloyd2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A friend and I have both had these fail - mine after 11 months of ownership with light use (pun intended). They are lovely but agree with everyone here, the mount is rubbish.
Also, I didn't receive a reply from either the UK or European fabric email addresses.
A shout out for ProBikeKit who are refunding the purchase price.
The fabric site shows the lumaray as v2.
Does anyone have any feedback as to whether the mount has been improved?
Old 11-21-19, 07:51 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

It would certainly appear so from the pictures on the Fabric site-- the V2 comes with two quarter-turn mounts (one for Garmin, one for Wahoo) and the mounts are secured by screws.

Though Fabric is quite obviously aware of the issues with V1, as they are careful to point out:

" Compatible only with Garmin Edge series: 20, 25, 130, 520. Compatible only with Wahoo Elemnt series: Elemnt, Elemnt Mini and Elemnt Bolt. Please read and follow the recommendations in the Garmin or Wahoo cycle computer instructions that recommend the use of a tethered leash, regarding proper mounting precautions. Never try to fit an incompatible cycle computer."

With that kind of a disclaimer, I dunno if I'd feel comfortable using even the V2 as intended.