Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wireless earbuds while riding?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Wireless earbuds while riding?

Old 11-29-19, 05:35 PM
  #101  
one4smoke
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Nashville, TN.
Posts: 2,024

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked 200 Times in 143 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
but your statement doesn't help answer the question asked by the OP.
Obviously, my answer would be no earbuds while riding ...wireless or otherwise.
one4smoke is offline  
Old 11-29-19, 06:00 PM
  #102  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,759
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4583 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 918 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke View Post
Obviously, my answer would be no earbuds while riding ...wireless or otherwise.
Apparently, you didn't read the question.

The OP asked "Does anyone use a single wireless earbud while riding, and if you do, how is the microphone performance?"
noodle soup is offline  
Old 11-29-19, 06:02 PM
  #103  
Athens80
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
Yes, someone sometime took a picture of someone else riding with a pair of foam covered headphones lightly resting over their ears. And then someone edited the image so that we see it on the internet today in black and white and thus it looks old.

Not every picture in the newspaper depicts an everyday event, anyway. Some pictures are taken of usual events.

That picture was not taken 40+ years ago, assuming that 40+ means more than 40. And riding with a Walkman wasn't a common sight even 40 years ago.

It took a while for sales to take off for any use, at least outside of Japan. Perhaps the cost, in today's terms, at USD 500+, played into the initial adoption rate. After a while, like the iPod, it became popular anyway. But never popular for people riding bikes, anywhere I saw.
Athens80 is offline  
Old 11-29-19, 06:12 PM
  #104  
bobwysiwyg
Senior Member
 
bobwysiwyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: 961' 42.28° N, 83.78° W (A2)
Posts: 2,344

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 188 Posts
Originally Posted by Athens80 View Post
Yes, someone sometime took a picture of someone else riding with a pair of foam covered headphones lightly resting over their ears. And then someone edited the image so that we see it on the internet today in black and white and thus it looks old.

Not every picture in the newspaper depicts an everyday event, anyway. Some pictures are taken of usual events.

That picture was not taken 40+ years ago, assuming that 40+ means more than 40. And riding with a Walkman wasn't a common sight even 40 years ago.

It took a while for sales to take off for any use, at least outside of Japan. Perhaps the cost, in today's terms, at USD 500+, played into the initial adoption rate. After a while, like the iPod, it became popular anyway. But never popular for people riding bikes, anywhere I saw.
I would not trust any photo or video of import on the Interweb . Far too many editing tools available to manipulate them. D@mn shame, but what can we do?
bobwysiwyg is offline  
Old 11-29-19, 06:29 PM
  #105  
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk
 
znomit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 4,183

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 368 Times in 179 Posts
Can we get some expert opinions in on the age of the groupset and bell? Should take about 5 pages to clear that up I guess.
znomit is offline  
Likes For znomit:
Old 11-29-19, 06:33 PM
  #106  
rubiksoval
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Music City, USA
Posts: 4,106

Bikes: Felt AR, 14.7 lb Longteng LTK 118 with Chinese carbon everything.

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2412 Post(s)
Liked 1,130 Times in 564 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke View Post
In my humble opinion, a cyclist needs all his senses to be at 100% while riding. If there’s anything preventing that, even ever so slightly ...you’re really not doing all you can to be the safest possible.
I take it you never ride much over 12 mph, and certainly never in windy conditions.

Otherwise, that wind noise... DANGER!
rubiksoval is offline  
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 11-29-19, 06:46 PM
  #107  
jamesdak 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 6,286

Bikes: Too many to keep this current.

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1510 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by Athens80 View Post
Yes, someone sometime took a picture of someone else riding with a pair of foam covered headphones lightly resting over their ears. And then someone edited the image so that we see it on the internet today in black and white and thus it looks old.

Not every picture in the newspaper depicts an everyday event, anyway. Some pictures are taken of usual events.

That picture was not taken 40+ years ago, assuming that 40+ means more than 40. And riding with a Walkman wasn't a common sight even 40 years ago.

It took a while for sales to take off for any use, at least outside of Japan. Perhaps the cost, in today's terms, at USD 500+, played into the initial adoption rate. After a while, like the iPod, it became popular anyway. But never popular for people riding bikes, anywhere I saw.
LOL, you might be right...or wrong. I see what appears to be non aero cable coming out of the brake levers and is that a "turkey lever" on there too. If so....the bike at least is old. I do know for a fact that as early as 1984 base policy at Ft Polk was no using headphones while running, walking, or riding on base. So.....someone must have been doing it. Just sayin'....

I for sure was using a transistor radio with an earphone in the late 70's early 80's as I drove the tractor cutting hay and such.

But seriously, just having some fun with your comment. Took maybe 2 seconds to find that picture. Wanna see more?
__________________
Steel is real...and comfy.
jamesdak is offline  
Old 11-29-19, 06:48 PM
  #108  
jamesdak 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 6,286

Bikes: Too many to keep this current.

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1510 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit View Post
Can we get some expert opinions in on the age of the groupset and bell? Should take about 5 pages to clear that up I guess.
__________________
Steel is real...and comfy.
jamesdak is offline  
Likes For jamesdak:
Old 11-29-19, 07:13 PM
  #109  
Atlas Shrugged
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke View Post
In my humble opinion, a cyclist needs all his senses to be at 100% while riding. If there’s anything preventing that, even ever so slightly ...you’re really not doing all you can to be the safest possible.
I assume you have two mirrors one for each side. Varia radar to give early warning. Flashing headlight and taillight. Wear a reflective vest and a fluorescent jersey and socks. Etc.

I am still at a loss on how earbuds which let sound through or in the case of iPod Pro transparency mode actually amplify external sounds changes my risk on the roads even minimally. I guess one could get so carried away listening to the Macarena and break out into spontaneous dance moves thus causing an accident or getting mowed over from a car.
Atlas Shrugged is offline  
Old 11-29-19, 07:47 PM
  #110  
MattTheHat 
Senior Member
 
MattTheHat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Allen, TX
Posts: 1,759

Bikes: 2020 S-Works Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 1,994 Times in 712 Posts
Originally Posted by Chi_Z View Post
they also do not have smartphone that distract the driver 20-30 years ago, what is your point?
My point is that cyclists were getting hit by cars long before they started riding with earphones/earbuds. If a car is going to hit you, not having earbuds isn’t going to save you. Wearing earbuds does not increase your chance of getting hit. The two are unrelated.
MattTheHat is offline  
Old 11-29-19, 07:49 PM
  #111  
MattTheHat 
Senior Member
 
MattTheHat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Allen, TX
Posts: 1,759

Bikes: 2020 S-Works Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 1,994 Times in 712 Posts
Originally Posted by Chi_Z View Post
riding with earphone is unsafe, if you have to, use a bluetooth speaker. Also god forbid if you did get into an accident with cars, the earphone could help the driver's case.
And how would it help the driver’s case? “Your honor, I didn’t intend to hit the cyclist. His earbuds made me do it.”
MattTheHat is offline  
Old 11-29-19, 07:58 PM
  #112  
bpcyclist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,115
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat View Post
And how would it help the driver’s case? “Your honor, I didn’t intend to hit the cyclist. His earbuds made me do it.”
I believe there was just recently a case with a fatality where that very defense was offered.
bpcyclist is offline  
Old 11-29-19, 08:11 PM
  #113  
MattTheHat 
Senior Member
 
MattTheHat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Allen, TX
Posts: 1,759

Bikes: 2020 S-Works Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 1,994 Times in 712 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist View Post
I believe there was just recently a case with a fatality where that very defense was offered.
Was it successful?
MattTheHat is offline  
Old 11-30-19, 04:01 AM
  #114  
bpcyclist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,115
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat View Post
Was it successful?
Here are a couple, for whatever it's worth. We just don't seem to have a consensus on this site about this topic.

Warning on headphones as cyclist ruled to have caused own death - Sticky Bottle - Sticky Bottle
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-...clist/11605292
bpcyclist is offline  
Old 11-30-19, 04:29 AM
  #115  
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk
 
znomit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 4,183

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 368 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist View Post
Here are a couple, for whatever it's worth. We just don't seem to have a consensus on this site about this topic.

Warning on headphones as cyclist ruled to have caused own death - Sticky Bottle - Sticky Bottle
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-...clist/11605292
Those are interesting links. You should read them.

The first one had a defective front brake and they don't know if she was listening to music or not.
“I cannot determine if she was on her iPhone listening with earphone at the time, but if she had been, it could have caused a distraction and could have contributed to the cause of the accident.”

The second one the driver pleaded guilty
"pleaded guilty to dangerous driving causing death in the Victorian County Court sitting in Bendigo."
znomit is offline  
Old 11-30-19, 05:08 AM
  #116  
Jim from Boston
Senior Member
 
Jim from Boston's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 7,384
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 162 Posts
Wireless earbuds while riding?

I promised myself that I wasn’t going to reply to this perennial popcorn thread, but these two paragraphs by @velopig had some unique comments that I have posted about previously:
Originally Posted by one4smoke View Post
In my humble opinion, a cyclist needs all his senses to be at 100% while riding. If there’s anything preventing that, even ever so slightly ...you’re really not doing all you can to be the safest possible.
Originally Posted by velopig View Post
I assume you have two mirrors one for each side. Varia radar to give early warning. Flashing headlight and taillight. Wear a reflective vest and a fluorescent jersey and socks. Etc...
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
I use both left and right rearview mirrors, in my case Take-a-Look eyeglass mounted ones. I got the idea from a cycling companion who used only a right hand mirror. The additional right hand mirror affords a pretty good rearward view, but is particularly useful:

Reasons #1...#7...

My main argument for a mirror, particularly in the urban environment is summarized by Jim’s Law of the Road: “No matter how well paved or lightly-traveled the Road, a vehicle is likely to pass you on the left as you encounter an obstacle on the right.”

One other situation where hearing is ineffective, even on rural roads, occurs when being passed by one car, and I'm never sure that another one is following the first. No problem with a mirror…
Especially in Winter with my ears completely covered.


Originally Posted by velopig View Post
I am still at a loss on how earbuds which let sound through or in the case of iPod Pro transparency mode actually amplify external sounds changes my risk on the roads even minimally.

I guess one could get so carried away listening to the Macarena and break out into spontaneous dance moves thus causing an accident or getting mowed over from a car.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
"What do you do to avoid bike boredom?"

...So the OP requests suggestions for avoiding boredom,yet @robnol disparages (with double negatives) the suggestion by @I-Like-To-Bike, of a common modality used by many on BF, risking morphing this thread into another wearsiome popcorn thread...

Admittedly in my recommendations about boredom on a bike I don’t suggest listening to audio devices, for fear a gum-chewing impaired cyclist might follow my endorsement.

Nonetheless, I have previously posted, not as a recommendation but a justification:
Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
I also listen to spoken word podcasts at a low volume in my curbside ear. I can hear traffic fine. On the rides I don't listen, or if I don't like the podcast and pull the earbud out I don't feel I gain any extra situational awareness.

My guess would be that picking one horn out of the Manhattan cacophony of horns, and echoes off the buildings, would be daunting in and of its self.

Whats more, I feel that when listening to spoken word podcasts in my curbside ear at a low volume, I can hear traffic better than when I'm in my car with the windows up with no music or podcasts.

However, it's been my experience that when a music clip is played, even in one ear, I start to loose my situational awareness. I think it has something to do with the way the human brain works....
Originally Posted by PaulRivers View Post
...I feel safer wearing headphones than not, because my brain sometimes it can rely on my hearing to hear cars behind me, when the only thing that's actually affective is to actually look.

Wearing headphones makes my brain realize that I'd better look - which is far far safer than hoping a car passing me is making enough noise to hear it.

You can't rely on your ears for knowing what's behind you, you have to look.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
Well said, @PaulRivers. I agree that a controllable external auditory source can help to focus on the task at hand, rather than distract.

For myself, I work at preparing reports depending on careful detailed analyses, and I always have a talk show on. It definitely focuses me, even though I don't pay much attention; it's more a background awareness.

It seems to fill in my mind in addition to the current purposeful activity so my concentration has no other place to wander.

In fact, if there is no ambient “distraction,” the silence is deafening (and I don't have to worry about a car plowing into my desk).

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-30-19 at 05:36 AM.
Jim from Boston is offline  
Old 11-30-19, 06:35 AM
  #117  
bpcyclist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,115
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit View Post
Those are interesting links. You should read them.

The first one had a defective front brake and they don't know if she was listening to music or not.
“I cannot determine if she was on her iPhone listening with earphone at the time, but if she had been, it could have caused a distraction and could have contributed to the cause of the accident.”

The second one the driver pleaded guilty
"pleaded guilty to dangerous driving causing death in the Victorian County Court sitting in Bendigo."
I have read them, but thanks very much.
bpcyclist is offline  
Old 11-30-19, 06:41 AM
  #118  
MattTheHat 
Senior Member
 
MattTheHat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Allen, TX
Posts: 1,759

Bikes: 2020 S-Works Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 1,994 Times in 712 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist View Post
Here are a couple, for whatever it's worth. We just don't seem to have a consensus on this site about this topic.

Warning on headphones as cyclist ruled to have caused own death - Sticky Bottle - Sticky Bottle
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-...clist/11605292
Are we aware of any cases in the United States? I’m not too worried about legal precedents from the UK or Australia.
MattTheHat is offline  
Old 11-30-19, 09:51 AM
  #119  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,759
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4583 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 918 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
Wireless earbuds while riding?

I promised myself that I wasn’t going to reply to this perennial popcorn thread, but these two paragraphs by @velopig had some unique comments that I have posted about previously: Especially in Winter with my ears completely covered.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the topic.They are very helpful.

It's a shame that this thread has gone so off topic, but that's what happens when the A&S crowd starts preaching, and refuses to answer the OP's question."Does anyone use a single wireless earbud while riding, and if you do, how is the microphone performance?" Those cyclists that never wear a wireless earbud while riding, because they feel it's unsafe, have nothing useful to add to this thread.

I wish there was a forum just for people that can't stop preaching about bicycle safety.
noodle soup is offline  
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 11-30-19, 10:00 AM
  #120  
spelger
Senior Member
 
spelger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: reno, nv
Posts: 576

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 114 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat View Post
Are we aware of any cases in the United States? I’m not too worried about legal precedents from the UK or Australia.
hmmm, I think getting hit by a car and killed has the same result regardless of any jurisdiction.
spelger is offline  
Old 11-30-19, 10:19 AM
  #121  
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis
 
DrIsotope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SoCal, USA!
Posts: 8,551

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4896 Post(s)
Liked 1,684 Times in 940 Posts
Ever wondrous is the flawed logic of the anti-headphone crowd. So if you wear headphones, you're going to get hit by a car. What about all the folks that don't wear headphones and get hit by cars? What senses were they not obeying that "allowed" it to happen?

Might as well not wear sunglasses, because they reduce the amount of incoming light and therefore compromise your vision. Drivers hit bicycles because they don't see them, they're not looking for them, or they simply don't care. Whether I'm listening to music or not has zero impact.
__________________
DrIsotope is offline  
Likes For DrIsotope:
Old 11-30-19, 10:21 AM
  #122  
MattTheHat 
Senior Member
 
MattTheHat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Allen, TX
Posts: 1,759

Bikes: 2020 S-Works Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 1,994 Times in 712 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger View Post
hmmm, I think getting hit by a car and killed has the same result regardless of any jurisdiction.
Indeed it does. And the cause has nothing to do with the cyclist wearing earbuds, does it?
MattTheHat is offline  
Old 11-30-19, 10:23 AM
  #123  
MattTheHat 
Senior Member
 
MattTheHat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Allen, TX
Posts: 1,759

Bikes: 2020 S-Works Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 1,994 Times in 712 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
Ever wondrous is the flawed logic of the anti-headphone crowd. So if you wear headphones, you're going to get hit by a car. What about all the folks that don't wear headphones and get hit by cars? What senses were they not obeying that "allowed" it to happen?

Might as well not wear sunglasses, because they reduce the amount of incoming light and therefore compromise your vision. Drivers hit bicycles because they don't see them, they're not looking for them, or they simply don't care. Whether I'm listening to music or not has zero impact.
Yep, amazing, isn’t it?

Might as well not ride while the sky is blue. Might cause a collision.
MattTheHat is offline  
Old 11-30-19, 10:27 AM
  #124  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,759
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4583 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 918 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
Ever wondrous is the flawed logic of the anti-headphone crowd. So if you wear headphones, you're going to get hit by a car. What about all the folks that don't wear headphones and get hit by cars? What senses were they not obeying that "allowed" it to happen?
I usually wear earbuds while riding, but not the day that I was hit by a truck. Now I know why I got hit.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I'll never ride without them again.
noodle soup is offline  
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 11-30-19, 10:51 AM
  #125  
MattTheHat 
Senior Member
 
MattTheHat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Allen, TX
Posts: 1,759

Bikes: 2020 S-Works Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 1,994 Times in 712 Posts
I just realized something. Virtually every single cyclist involved in a collision with a car was wearing clothing. The only reasonable conclusion is that riding nekked is the only safe way to ride! Makes one wonder if even sunscreen would be safe.
MattTheHat is offline  
Likes For MattTheHat:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.