Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

SANS Meal Bar Tryout

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

SANS Meal Bar Tryout

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-20, 04:51 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
SANS Meal Bar Tryout

Over the weekend I did a 60 mile ride in the heat wave, and tried out a SANS meal bar as a mid ride refueling option. vs. my usual fig bars. I'd received two of them as a "free" offer - had to pay $3 shipping, so still $1.50/bar.

Way more calories - 380 vs. 140 for the fig newton package. Way, way more expensive - $3.75/bar if you but in bulk vs. 50 cents per package when I buy pre-packaged fig newtons on sale in a 12 pack. Or, $4.00 vs. $1.30 just buying a package of Fig Newtons at a convenience store. I guess cost/caloric intake means the SANS bar is not all that expensive.

From a taste perspective, I actually like fig bars but the SANS bar was really good. Their selling point is no added sugar or artificial sweeteners, no soy/gluten/dairy - and they donate bars to areas of the world in need. So, I was bit surprised how good it tasted. YMMV.

Last edited by jpescatore; 07-28-20 at 03:42 AM.
Old 07-27-20, 01:28 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Me, I want sugar and gluten. Try Fig Newmans instead. Big difference.
Old 07-27-20, 04:08 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Way too expensive...I can buy a box of granola bars for that price...Gluten, soy and sugar is a non-issue when riding.
Old 07-28-20, 01:31 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I usually get Clif or Larabars. They're usually discounted to a buck a bar or cheaper, taste good, have a good texture (I've literally cracked teeth on some other bars -- Kind bars were the worst), and no digestive issues. Just plain sugar, which most folks can digest easily. I tried other bars that used sugar alcohols for the more rapid conversion to energy without screwing up sugar metabolism, but the stuff gave me turbo gas.

So I stick with mostly Clif bars and gels. Occasionally I'll vary the flavors but mostly stick with the mint chocolate bars with a little caffeine, and the mocha or espresso gels depending on how much caffeine I want. Sometimes I'll take a couple of bars without caffeine. I'm trying to cut back and just use caffeine when I'm really sagging.

My doctor fussed at me for using way too much caffeine and causing my heart to skip around too much. After adding it all up I realized I wasn't just drinking "one or two cups of coffee" a day. When I added the Clif bars, gels and energy drink mixes, I was getting the equivalent to a large pot of coffee a day, sometimes after sunset on long rides. No wonder my heart was pounding and skipping after midnight when I was trying to sleep!

If I want plain ol' sugar and carbs, I'll stop at the Dollartree. They have all kinds of sugar bombs. A buck will buy enough calories to last a full century ride. Sometimes those individually cello wrapped crunchy things are a nice change of pace and saves a visit to the convenience store.
Old 07-28-20, 03:47 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I've found Fig Newtons (or Newmans, I don't taste much of a difference) to have about the same nutritional makeup of Clif bars and the like, and had switched to them years ago. I can't stomach gels at all.

On longer rides, I might have a stop where I would grab a sandwich - but harder to do that with pandemic shutting places down. I'm thinking these mealbars will be my sandwich substitute on 60 mile plus rides - vs. more fig bars.