Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Trainer Road Adaptive Training

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 02-26-21, 03:41 PM
Miller219

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Allez Sprint (Rim); 2014 Specialized Venge (Retired)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Any thoughts on the new "adaptive training" from TR vs cycling coach?
Old 02-27-21, 01:26 PM
mr_pedro

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 48 Posts
It sounds like the future. Most likely at the introduction of TR's AT, a good coach will be able to provide better programs. But with time, I have no doubt that a machine learning algorithm will be better able to interpret all the data and translate it to a tailor made program.

The advantage of a coach are of coarse the human interaction, motivation, support. So most likely in the future we will see human coaches making use of these AI type tools for the training program part.
Old 03-04-21, 01:09 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
I'm involved in the beta group, I was initially invited back in June along with some other forum folks who've been around there since the beginning. Our initial group was from June-Sept and we had only a glimpse of where things were going but it looked cool even then. I've had about a week with this, and although I'm not currently on a plan where adaptations would be suggested, I'm using the workout progression classifications to make small jumps in workout difficulty. For example, last week I started a progression of vo2 workouts, I did a couple rated 4.5 and they went fine. On Tuesday I did a workout rated 6.3 and considered a "stretch" workout. For a number of reasons I struggled with it, so it certainly was a stretch. Today I chose one that would be a smaller jump (entitled 'productive') and rated 5.1 and nailed it. So next week I'll probably do one rated 5.5 and see how that goes. So, at the moment I'm not being directed by the AI and making my own decisions, but even so being able to gradually progress with workouts makes things more manageable and not overextending oneself with overly difficult workouts. After this current block I'll be going back on a proper plan with their sweet spot base, and I'll be curious how they'll adjust me as I progress because I tend to excel at those.
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 03-04-21, 04:04 PM
Miller219

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Allez Sprint (Rim); 2014 Specialized Venge (Retired)

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
I'm involved in the beta group, I was initially invited back in June along with some other forum folks who've been around there since the beginning. Our initial group was from June-Sept and we had only a glimpse of where things were going but it looked cool even then. I've had about a week with this, and although I'm not currently on a plan where adaptations would be suggested, I'm using the workout progression classifications to make small jumps in workout difficulty. For example, last week I started a progression of vo2 workouts, I did a couple rated 4.5 and they went fine. On Tuesday I did a workout rated 6.3 and considered a "stretch" workout. For a number of reasons I struggled with it, so it certainly was a stretch. Today I chose one that would be a smaller jump (entitled 'productive') and rated 5.1 and nailed it. So next week I'll probably do one rated 5.5 and see how that goes. So, at the moment I'm not being directed by the AI and making my own decisions, but even so being able to gradually progress with workouts makes things more manageable and not overextending oneself with overly difficult workouts. After this current block I'll be going back on a proper plan with their sweet spot base, and I'll be curious how they'll adjust me as I progress because I tend to excel at those.

This is some great insight. Sounds like it takes the guesswork out of interpreting TSS score associated w/different types of workouts. I still wonder how the system will compare to something like the 4DP based workout structure offered through the Sufferfest platform.
Old 03-04-21, 08:19 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Sounds like Trainer Road may be responding to one of the common criticisms of their programs.

Likes For canklecat:
Old 03-05-21, 09:55 AM
hubcyclist

Originally Posted by canklecat
Sounds like Trainer Road may be responding to one of the common criticisms of their programs.

https://youtu.be/C0n-nnRbFBs
Not really, this has been in the works for years, like I said I had a glimpse of this back in June. Additionally, and TR will cover this in a recorded podcast, I think there are plenty of holes in Dylan’s video, as far as work cited. I would hardly call those studies conclusive evidence of anything
Old 03-11-21, 03:37 PM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
I don't know. If you ride by perceived exhaustion and not watts alone, then on a good day you will push harder and on a bad day do less. Don't need a machine to tell me that. Similarly don't need a machine to tell me one workout is harder and thus "progressing" by giving it a 5.5 vs a 4.5 score. I can add one rep in each set or lower the reps but add a set and also have something harder.

Of course I am not saying this thing isn't a good tool or anything, I am just not sure I want to fork out money for it given I am not already on TR.
Old 03-29-21, 06:21 AM
hubcyclist

So I've been allowing adaptive training to make modifications to my current training plan over the past week. I'm doing SSB1 HV, and while I generally don't have any trouble with this plan, I've let the algorithm modify workouts. I actually put up a video on youtube which will hopefully be the first of a weekly training vlog where I show how this works on a real person. If anyone would like the link, message me privately and I'll share it with you.