Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

THE definition of "carfree"

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-16, 12:21 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts

Since nobody else is willing to state a definition definitively (so to speak), I will offer one.

The definition of "living carfree":
No ownership of a car, and a car owned by somebody else is used infrequently.

The definition of "car":
A privately owned motor vehicle, used for non-commercial personal transport.

If everybody can live with that, the definition will be adopted. If there are objections, it won't be adopted.

Let us know what you think!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-05-16, 02:41 PM
JBHoren
Living 'n Dying in ¾-Time

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Works for me. I've been "carfree" for three years and eight months (this go-round), and have rented a car four times during that period.
Old 01-05-16, 03:15 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
I might quibble about your definition of a car.
Old 01-05-16, 03:22 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
...are you f'in kidding me?
Old 01-05-16, 03:24 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
I might quibble about your definition of a car.
What would you prefer? I mainly wanted to exempt people who own and/or drive for a job or for their own business. Like a cake baker who never drives for her own personal needs, but delivers cakes with a car she owns strictly for her business. After all, the title of the forum is LIVING Carfree, not WORKING Carfree.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-05-16, 03:27 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Define 'living'.
Old 01-05-16, 03:58 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Roody
Since nobody else is willing to state a definition definitively (so to speak), I will offer one.

The definition of "car":

If everybody can live with that, the definition will be adopted. If there are objections, it won't be adopted.

Therefore if a person never uses a car, that person is not living car free. Only if you infrequently use somebody else's car can you be considered car free.
Old 01-05-16, 04:02 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 11027 Post(s)
Liked 7,574 Times in 4,225 Posts
Oh boy, I see this came from a 7 page thread about defining the term 'carfree'. I cant wait to read 150+ posts concerning this definition! I would say I am surprised that such a term couldnt be collectively defined within 1 thread and 150+ responses, but...
Old 01-05-16, 04:10 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My comment from your other thread..."So I think we should say that car free means that neither you nor a member of your household regularly operate a car or travel as an occupant or receive goods at your home, delivered by car. "
Old 01-05-16, 04:14 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts

Nope ... sorry.

I object to there being a definition. I don't think one is necessary, and I think any definition will end up being used as a weapon.
Old 01-05-16, 04:19 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

To quote myself from the other thread (and you can check the other thread for context if you so desire) ...

Originally Posted by Machka
The trouble with agreeing upon a definition here is that it can then be used as a weapon.

Begone! You and your topic do not qualify according to our cast-in-stone definition of carfree.

If we have any interest at all in the LCF forum being a more welcoming place, we would not get hung up on definitions ... and who belongs and who doesn't.

I prefer to keep the definition loose.

So what if someone who defines themselves as "carfree" uses a taxi to get to the airport a couple times a year, or makes use of a delivery service to have their new television delivered, or walks to the grocery store to buy the food which is delivered there on a daily basis by motor vehicle. Maybe it might be pushing the line a little if a person defines themselves as "carfree" and uses a taxi to get to work 5 days a week. But I'd rather not have some cast-in-stone definition to pull out and whop people over the head with.

And for reference, this is the forum definition:
"Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here."
Every time a person chooses to use human power to do something rather than a motor vehicle, it's a good thing ... and there is no need to define or categorise it.

Personally, I'm not about a carfree movement as a whole. I'm more about little steps. Choosing to walk to the grocery store this time, rather than drive. Choosing to park in a central location in town and walking or cycling from there rather than driving to each and every shop. Every little bit counts.

Every little bit of extra human-powered activity gets us just that little bit fitter.
And also ... how far do you want to go with it?

Is a person carfree because they themselves do not own a car?

But what about using cars? Are two trips/year to the airport in a taxi allowed ... but a third trip not allowed under the definition? What if a person rents a car for a two-week holiday? Does 2 weeks in a car cancel out 50 weeks of walking and cycling?

And how far does it go? Chances are someone turned up in a motor vehicle for one reason or another when the house you live in was being built ... therefore a car was used in the construction of something you use on a daily basis ... therefore you're not really carfree, are you? Or what about your groceries? Unless you grow/raise everything in your own back yard, I can almost guarantee that a motor vehicle was used somewhere in the process of getting that bag of carrots into your fridge ... even if you walked them there in the last leg of their journey. Oh, and speaking of your fridge ... how did it arrive in your house?

These days, almost no one is truly carfree ... not in an absolute sense. But where do you draw the line ... who do you include? who do you exclude?

IMO all trying to define carfree does is to produce a weapon to be wielded against others, and makes this subforum even less welcoming than it already is.
It's a scale ...

On the one end are the people who drive everywhere ... at the other end are the people who have built their houses with trees they've grown and felled, who grow their own food and who make their own clothes and who never make use of any sort of vehicle for any purpose.

The rest of us fall somewhere with in that range.

And where does carlight start?

Is a person car light when they drive to work or take a taxi 5 days a week? Probably not ... but maybe, if they don't use a car at all on weekends and if they walk/cycle to run all their errands.

But what if they only drive or take a taxi 3 days a week? Is that car light? Or 2 days a week?

And at the other end ... what if a person does not own a vehicle and does not take rides in a motor vehicle of any sort. Is that person carfree? Maybe. But what if that person gets deliveries a few times a year? Still carfree .... or not?

There will never be an agreed upon definition of carfree ... nor should their be.
Old 01-05-16, 04:19 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Is this where the sub-committee on carfree definitions is meeting? Have you brought this meeting to order already? I really hope we can hash it out in this special session of the legislature.
Old 01-05-16, 04:20 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Oh boy, I see this came from a 7 page thread about defining the term 'carfree'. I cant wait to read 150+ posts concerning this definition! I would say I am surprised that such a term couldnt be collectively defined within 1 thread and 150+ responses, but...
You apparently don't know about the other threads from years past that Matchka found on this same topic.
Old 01-05-16, 04:21 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by RPK79
Is this where the sub-committee on carfree definitions is meeting? Have you brought this meeting to order already? I really hope we can hash it out in this special session of the legislature.
Old 01-05-16, 04:23 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by Walter S
You apparently don't know about the other threads from years past that Matchka found on this same topic.
Ha, I just read thru the 5 pager and saw the links to prior attempts thru the years.
This stuff is workplace boredom gold!
Old 01-05-16, 04:25 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

It sure seemed like many posters in that other thread were both willing and able to state a definition. Many such offerings were given, actually. Did you not read all the responses in your own thread?
Old 01-05-16, 04:35 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why does Living Car Free need a definition? It's not a word. The meaning is right in front of your eyes if you understand English.

I'll give you a hint if your English skills are not strong. "Car free" means "in absence of a car". So Living Car Free means Living in Absence of a Car.

Does that help? If not then you fail the IQ test!
Old 01-05-16, 04:43 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

The definition of "car":
Just for fun ... because that's all this is, isn't it ...

I don't own a car. Because a car is defined as a privately owned motor vehicle, used for non-commercial personal transport, a taxi is not a car. Therefore, I can make use of a taxi every single day of the year ... and still be classed as "carfree"!

I don't own a car. The definition indicates I can use a car owned by someone else "infrequently". We haven't defined "infrequent" in this context. Does that mean that I can ride in our van on weekends? Is that infrequent? Or should I limit van rides to once a month? Or is it some percentage of my overall trips like if 10% of my trips are in the van, that's infrequent.

It's really a pointless exercise to try to define something like this seriously. We can have a bit of fun with it and throw ideas around because this is a forum for entertainment purposes ... but fortunately it is not like funding depends upon a definition.
Old 01-05-16, 04:56 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just for fun ... because that's all this is, isn't it ...

I don't own a car. Because a car is defined as a privately owned motor vehicle, used for non-commercial personal transport, a taxi is not a car. Therefore, I can make use of a taxi every single day of the year ... and still be classed as "carfree"!

I don't own a car. The definition indicates I can use a car owned by someone else "infrequently". We haven't defined "infrequent" in this context. Does that mean that I can ride in our van on weekends? Is that infrequent? Or should I limit van rides to once a month? Or is it some percentage of my overall trips like if 10% of my trips are in the van, that's infrequent.

It's really a pointless exercise to try to define something like this seriously. We can have a bit of fun with it and throw ideas around because this is a forum for entertainment purposes ... but fortunately it is not like funding depends upon a definition.
You could also lease a car. You could even live in your leased car and still be car free

The definition I proposed said you could not "occupy" a car to get past this and other issues (but I agree we don't need no stinkin definition).

Last edited by Walter S; 01-05-16 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-05-16, 05:52 PM
Mobile 155

What would you prefer? I mainly wanted to exempt people who own and/or drive for a job or for their own business. Like a cake baker who never drives for her own personal needs, but delivers cakes with a car she owns strictly for her business. After all, the title of the forum is LIVING Carfree, not WORKING Carfree.
I just think Taxis, Uber like services and rental cars are cars. As I have said several times it is my opinion and it hasn't changed. I understand you are trying to be inclusive but that is my quibble. I am not sure driving for a living is any more intitled to an exemption than someone that drives to make a living as many commuters do. Both should be held to the same standard. Once again my opinion.
Old 01-05-16, 06:02 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,489 Times in 1,286 Posts
What difference does is make what some other persons definition of car-free is ??...Why even bother to argue and debate about something like that ??...Just live your life and stop arguing about stupid silly little definitions.
Old 01-05-16, 06:14 PM
Mobile 155

Originally Posted by Walter S
Why does Living Car Free need a definition? It's not a word. The meaning is right in front of your eyes if you understand English.

I'll give you a hint if your English skills are not strong. "Car free" means "in absence of a car". So Living Car Free means Living in Absence of a Car.

Does that help? If not then you fail the IQ test!
If this were a meeting I could accept that.
Old 01-05-16, 09:45 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3945 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
We're of course re-hashing old discussion.

Ultimately there is no such thing as 'absolutely" car-free, just as there is no such thing as absolutely drug-free or sugar free, in that some tiny intrusion or arbitrary definition what is a car of what is a drug etc. or what the threshold is for allowed exceptions, is going to contaminate the situation. People call themselves "drug free" while Jonesing on cigarettes and caffeine, for example, because somehow these are not considered "drugs". "Sugar-free" as in food or chewing gum, actually means sugar levels are lower than a defined threshold.

So when we use a term like "car-free' we have to accept an imperfect definition: the intention is really "mostly car-free" - ie. don't own a car and hardly ever ride in one. To expect something more "pure' than this is just silly.
Old 01-05-16, 10:12 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I just sneak in under Roody's definition. I own a car, but it hasn't moved under its own power in years. I only keep it because I get a larger discount on my homeowners insurance by insuring it than it costs me. Also, on those rare instances when I rent a car, I can cheaply activate full coverage from the base policy.

That said, who cares? Drive less. Aspire to not drive at all. Help others do the same and things will get incrementally better, which is a reversal of the trend.
Old 01-05-16, 10:53 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
The problem with defining "car free" is that it's a state of being, not a course of action. Using it is making a statement about ourselves or others, but doesn't really demonstrate who we actually are. That's why I suggested a fairly strict definition similar to Roodys, it minimizes how much it can be interpreted and misused.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.