Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1990 Titan Chromoly BMX/Mountain Bike Info?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-17, 10:53 AM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts

Just picked up a 1990 or 1991 (if components are original) Titan full chromoly youth sized mountain bike. Titan was known for their titanium BMX bikes and the owners eventually landed in Eugene, OR. I've done a ton of research and have found a little, including a 1990 catalog with a photo of a youth sized 24" wheeled bike that looks just like mine, except for the color description. Mine has the interesting "Loop" rear triangle - very distinctive.

Has Shimano Deore LX front and rear derailleurs, Shimano triple, wishbone seat stay, mountain bike style stem and handlebars with Shimano brakes (rubber mudguard "sleeves" in great shape - not sure what those are called), front wheel has radial spoke pattern and rear has traditional cross pattern. Has Shimano Rapidfire shifters with 7 speed cassette (it might be a freewheel - haven't taken things apart yet). Does not appear to have the oddball size BMX press fit type of bottom bracket - looks like a normal square taper from the outside. Either the rear brake or shift cable has internal cable routing for a short run.

It's grape/bluish purple. It was practically free and I bought it because I was going to harvest the components, but now I think I'll keep it intact and clean up.

I'll post some photos later today. It's a unique little bike. Plus it's from my home town!

EDIT: PHOTOS

Last edited by Velocivixen; 03-05-17 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-05-17, 03:27 PM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
I'm not up to speed on these but pretty sure they were custom built. They did have some MTBs starting late 80s per the BMX Museum.

The looptail was made famous by SE Racing and the PKRIpper and is a nice touch. Look forward to pics!
Old 03-05-17, 04:52 PM
Velocivixen

@Bikerider007 - Thanks. I've uploaded some to Flickr. Here are some. It's dirty but it will be a fun project.

1991 Titan Chromoly Mountain Race Bike. by velocivixen, on Flickr
Wishbone Seat Stay by velocivixen, on Flickr
Tange MTB Tubing Decal by velocivixen, on Flickr
"Loop" Rear Triangle by velocivixen, on Flickr
Titan Racing Mountain Bar by velocivixen, on Flickr
Shimano Brakes by velocivixen, on Flickr
Fork 1991 Titan MTB by velocivixen, on Flickr
Wishbone Seat Stay Cluster by velocivixen, on Flickr
Internal Cable Routing Front Derailleur by velocivixen, on Flickr
Shimano LX by velocivixen, on Flickr
Old 03-05-17, 04:54 PM
Velocivixen

What are "P.G Tubes" per decal? Also doesn't the headseat pressed cup look like plastic? I'll have to go check. The internally routed front derailleur cable exits from the bottom bracket.

Shimano LX Front by velocivixen, on Flickr
Old 03-05-17, 05:05 PM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,255 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by Velocivixen
What are "P.G Tubes" per decal?
Plain Gauge (non-butted)

That's a very cool bike!
Old 03-05-17, 05:15 PM
Velocivixen

@Clang - Thanks! Good to know on the tube specification. I haven't ridden it yet, and of course it's smaller. I'm 5'6" so would be a bit cramped on it. I see that vintage BMX racers appeared to be tall on smaller bikes, so maybe that's how they sized them. I think it's different than what I've worked on before. Plan to clean it up, new cables, bearing surfaces then see.
Old 03-05-17, 05:39 PM
swen0171 

Bikes: 1993 Bridgestone XO-3, 1981 Trek 613, 1988 Fisher Montare, 1986 Univega Alpina Uno, 2010 Surly Long Haul trucker, 2004 Rivendell Quickbeam. 1970s Gitane Mixtie (60cm), 1994 Diamond Back Axis TT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 21 Posts
Looks like a kids bike to me (rather than a BMX sized MTB bike). But what a find! Very cool bike.
Old 03-05-17, 06:27 PM
Velocivixen

Originally Posted by swen0171
Looks like a kids bike to me (rather than a BMX sized MTB bike). But what a find! Very cool bike.
It is a kids size -has 24" wheels. Handlebars are not like BMx of the era. Titan made a few mountain bikes.
Old 03-05-17, 07:54 PM
Bikerider007

That is a score. Love that wide loop it reminds me of my fav antique bike the CCM Flyte. Dont be surprised if you get pm's on this bike.

Bmx and MTB used larger diameter tubes than road so the plain gauge was used to save weight. When I was riding in the 80s, double butted etc were not really discussed, it was all about getting lighter to go farther and having more control. Gussets were used for strength.

24" was your typical large BMX, very few were 26" and this bike came from a BMX builder so it possible they mainly used 24" on the MTB. The article on BMX museum states Titan used chromoly for larger riders. Titan - BMXmuseum.com Probably because Titanium was still newer then and having some issues, as many titanium builders did.

I would ride this no prob at 6'0. Older rigid MTBs required more finesse if you rode hard, jumped etc. you have more control on a smaller bike. Tall MTBs were more like ATB/gravel as they would crack or bend if you rode them like a BMX or serious MTB.

I would add something like this to it. The original drop post setup so you can ride high but drop when going down or hitting bumps. I just put one on one of my recent finds. They were made by Breeze starting in 84'.

Last edited by Bikerider007; 03-05-17 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-05-17, 08:14 PM
Velocivixen

@Bikerider007 - That explains the 170 crank arms. I was Serbian they'd be 165, but they're 170. The seat post is very long also. I think I've seen those devices on some BMx bikes and was never exactly sure how they worked.

I think I'll have fun working on this bike. I'll take it all apart and do my usual magic. I'm thinking red housing! I'll wash the bike then use polishing compound then some wax to shine it up. The rust is surface.

Edit: Rims are Sun "Chinook" Ultra Hard Anno laced to DEORE LX hubs front/rear. Everything is Deore LX on this bike

Last edited by Velocivixen; 03-05-17 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-06-17, 10:00 AM
Bikerider007

I dont know anything about the headset but being as the bike was designed for racing it was probably for weight reduction, not just a cheap headset. I would be careful if removing. There is the possibility of it being quite collectible or having some value. Exploring that kind of stuff is what makes this a great hobby. You never know what you might find.