Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Beginner: Training during quarantine

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-20, 09:27 PM
ditosaur

Bikes: Orbea Avant H50

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I’ve been doing a general all-purpose training by hitting the gym and lifting weights. My workout routine is not very specific, I have days for chests, back, arms, and legs. That’s basically it really. I want to train for a triathlon, I want to make myself a training program and I have no idea where to start. Can you guys give me some suggestions for crucial things to include into my weekly program? I think abs are important? Lol, thanks guys.
Old 05-11-20, 12:33 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
What you're doing now is fine for general fitness as well as core strength training, but you need to put hours on the bike for the bike leg and put hours running for the run. Not sure about the swimming, but I'll assume it'll be similar.

If you can ride outside, ride outside, do intervals, etc. Otherwise intervals on a spin bike in the gym is better than nothing.

Similar with running, though I'm not sure how easy or safe it is to do hard intervals on a treadmill, if you have to do that indoors.
Likes For atwl77:
Old 05-11-20, 12:08 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Try the Triathalon forum. Before the virus, several triathletes ran on the gym treadmills in winter, endurance work only, before doing their weight work. Outdoors in summer of course. Tri is really all about swim form. If you have the skill to swim like a fish, all the rest is trainable. So they say. AFAIK, tri folks don't spend much time in the gym in summer. They're either in the water, on their bike, or running. A woman I used to ride with would do a 75 mile ride over 2 mountain passes, then transition and run up one of the passes and back. That's the way to train! I only did the bike ride.

Last edited by Carbonfiberboy; 05-11-20 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-11-20, 10:16 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Look into Strong Lifts 5x5, it's better than bro splits.

Keeping it real simple, there are 3 important things you need to get faster on the bike. Volume, intensity, and recovery. The last one is harder when you lift, because you're demanding more. So pay a lot of attention to what works for you personally and what doesn't.

Depending how competitive you want to be in tri, the 4th important thing is spending $$$ on the bike. Aero frame and wheels, shoe covers, skin suit, power meter, aero helmet, etc. You be faster by making more watts and by needing fewer.
Old 05-13-20, 10:45 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Your gym is still open during quarantine?
Old 05-16-20, 12:11 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,525 Times in 3,027 Posts
Work a farm and ranch. When you are done lifting in an hour. The country boy is going 10 hours longer. Coaches everywhere know the the farm boy is strong as an ox. Muscular endurance wins, a one time max lift is cool but does nothing useful. Just saying after several orthopedic operations due to prolong hard labor but I have no regrets because hard work pays off.