Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Found a nice Miyata 914 SE

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-20, 08:02 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,990 Times in 1,777 Posts

Same day I snagged the Colnago a Miyata 914 SE showed up locally. Grabbed it the next day. Seems to be well taken care of and with all the original 600 Tricolor parts. Paint shows honest wear but components are good. Just a bit of sticking with the rear brake I'm going to address. Then this morning while setting up the fit for a test ride I noticed the rear wheel was barely in the dropouts. Turns out I missed something there. Even though it's the original spec wheel and hub the axle is not fitting into the rear dropouts. Seems too tight on the drive side. It's not hitting the adjustment screws either. Guess I'll have to sort that out before I get this back on the road. Hopefully something easily corrected although I've never had to "adjust" the opening on a rear dropout before.

Anyway, I'll guess I'll address this after my ride today. I shouldn't have missed that but the price was so good I didn't give it too hard of a look.

One pic from when I picked it up.

Last edited by jamesdak; 09-06-20 at 08:12 AM.
Likes For jamesdak:
Old 09-06-20, 08:14 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

And.....I'm a dummy.

Left the original post as a learning thing even though I have seen this before. Just forgot. The spring was on the QR backwards, Duh! So once I get 40 miles or so in on the custom Lemond I'll take this out for a couple of test miles.
Old 09-06-20, 01:27 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
No full overhaul? I'm too scared to ride a new purchase before I overhaul. I don't even test ride 'em.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 09-06-20, 01:45 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
No full overhaul? I'm too scared to ride a new purchase before I overhaul. I don't even test ride 'em.
I laugh in the face of death!! In fact, the front tire had a hole in the sidewall. I just booted it from inside the tire and put it back on for now.

Did 13 miles on this after knocking out 42 on one of my Lemonds. Everything worked fine and the bike seemed eager to go. I got stung early into the ride on this and had to down two benadryls. So I was pretty much out of it the last several miles. Guess I won't be doing much if anything the rest of the day now.

No real impression on the bike's ride after such a short test. Everything worked really well, this one was obviously well taken care of by the previous owner.

Old 09-07-20, 11:39 AM
jamesdak 

Rear brake was nothing but a cable starting to corrode at the end by the brake. Cable inside most of the housing looked great. Used some canned air to blow out the housing, rounded the cut end of the housing by the brake better and then put through a new cable. Works great now and releases just fine.
Old 09-14-20, 07:33 PM
jamesdak 

Well, that bee sting took me off the bikes until last weekend. Got home today and had a package from Merlin Cycles waiting for me. In there were some brand new Veloflex Corsa tires, 700 x 25. They are mounted up and this bike is sitting now waiting it's first real test ride after work tomorrow.

22 lbs 9 ozs as in the pic above but with the Veloflex's swapped in. The rear hub is a HB-6401 with a 7 speed cassette on it. I't fits in fairly easily so I wonder if a modern 130mm rear would fit. 13-23 cassette on it right now.
Old 09-15-20, 10:57 AM
jamesdak 

Just realized this came with a Sakae 26.8 seatpost and was like, "Hey"! Now I finally have a use for the Thomson 26.8 setback I've had sitting unused for a long time. Both Miyata's I'm working on have Sakae seatpost and those beast are heavy. Just dropped another 7 ozs of this by swapping out the seatpost and putting on a different saddle. Saddle position is now correct which allowed me to check reach on the handlebars. They're a bit too long so time for a shorter stem. The bars seem to be 40cm vs my usual 42cm but I'll get a couple of longer rides in to see if they work OK for me. Tempted to dig up another 4.5mm spacer and see if I can get some ligher modern wheels on this. Some Fulcrum Racing 3's might be just the ticket!
Old 02-06-21, 03:42 PM
jamesdak 

Updating this with some rough pics I just took. Gonna list it for sale locally as I just have too many bikes and haven't really gotten around to address this one correctly. Grabbed a series of pictures for the ad though and sharing them for anyone researching details on these.

Old 02-06-21, 03:43 PM
jamesdak 

Old 03-05-21, 09:17 AM
jamesdak 

Lazy Friday morning so I took the time to update the look of this one a bit. The all black was totally boring.

Now it needs yellow bottle cages.

Old 03-05-21, 10:31 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Awesome, glad to hear that the weight came down nicely, my Seven-Ten still sits at 24lbs iir but sure is a nice rider.
Old 03-09-21, 05:45 PM
jamesdak 

Well, this one moved on to a new home with a happy owner.

I feel a bit like a jerk though. Had a guy texting me at work about it today and was going to meet up with him tomorrow. Then when leaving work I got a text from a guy who had actually gotten with me Sunday about coming to get it today. I totally forgot. Dang ol' brain. I had to hit up the second guy and apologize. Normally I let people know when someone others are looking at a bike.