Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Road Test/Bike Review (1986) BIANCHI Volpe

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-21, 01:21 PM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 999 Posts

WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Likes For SpeedofLite:
Old 01-25-21, 03:12 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
I had an '89 with Suntour Command levers. It was too small for me, but it was weirdly long. Something like a 48st with 54tt.
Old 01-26-21, 10:13 AM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 999 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen a BIANCHI Volpe in the wild.
I'm pretty sure I've seen a photo of one posted in C & V though, but the strap bosses didn't stick out for me to be curious about them.
I'm stuck between thinking it was a bike ahead of its time by decades, or one that tried to appeal to too many areas of cycling.
WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Likes For SpeedofLite:
Old 01-26-21, 11:07 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
If this review was from '86, I think that was the first year of production for the Volpe. It's still made today..rather a long run for any model..they must be doing something right.

I had a '96 in "Gang Green" color (sort of a dark-ish seafoam green(not celeste) and red decals). It's a very comfortable "all-rounder". Not a lightweight, but most bikes, even many pricey new ones, aren't either. I ran 38mm tires on mine..cushy and fast ride. Ovalized tubing in the main triangle. It had a Tiagra group on it, 9 speed triple. Shifted like butter. Cane Creek cantis. I did one tour with it with a 28lb load. Worked fine. Given all the gravely bike designs available today, with room for larger tires, the Volpe in '86 was ahead of it's time to some extent. (Although bikes have ridden on gravel/dirt roads for over 100 years)
Likes For fishboat:
Old 01-26-21, 12:30 PM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 1,861 Times in 1,062 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedofLite
I don't think I've ever seen a BIANCHI Volpe in the wild.
I'm pretty sure I've seen a photo of one posted in C & V though, but the strap bosses didn't stick out for me to be curious about them.
I'm stuck between thinking it was a bike ahead of its time by decades, or one that tried to appeal to too many areas of cycling.
There are loads "in the wild" around here, so it's a bit odd that there are places where they are uncommon.

I never really understood what exactly the Volpe is... not quite a touring bike, not quite a cyclocross bike... But they do have a reputation as excellent commuters.
Likes For Rocket-Sauce:
Old 01-26-21, 05:12 PM
wintermute

Bikes: 1980 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1986 Kuwahara ATB, 2006 Bianchi Volpe, 2016 Salsa Fargo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket-Sauce
I never really understood what exactly the Volpe is... not quite a touring bike, not quite a cyclocross bike... But they do have a reputation as excellent commuters.
That's the beauty of it! I consider my Gang Green 2006 Volpe an über-hybrid - it's pretty good at everything - it's not the fastest, but by no means slow. It's not the lightest, but by no means heavy. It can handle fire roads, gravel, and hardpack, even a little loose stuff. It can carry stuff, as long as it's not too heavy, and it doesn't have the stiff, non-compliant frame of a true heavy tourer. It fits the Grant Peterson "all-rounder" role. It was a gravel grinder before there were gravel grinders. I would LOVE to have one of the older lugged frames.
Likes For wintermute: