Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Merckx 10th Anniversary Value?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-21, 10:07 AM
peashooter

Bikes: Roold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
Merckx 10th Anniversary Value?

Wondering what this one may be worth. Brand new bike, Full Campy Gruppo.

Likes For peashooter:
Old 01-31-21, 02:21 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
A lot.
Old 01-31-21, 03:10 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts
Is this one of the bikes from the estate?
Old 01-31-21, 04:06 PM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
Looks unridden

Is that saddle blue?

Don't take less than $3K
Old 01-31-21, 06:47 PM
peashooter

Originally Posted by rccardr
Is this one of the bikes from the estate?
Yes. One of his lifelong cycling pals would like to purchase it and I wanted to get an idea what it is worth.
The saddle is a dark blue.
Old 01-31-21, 08:27 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts
So, this is where emotion, practicality and remembrance kind of converge in a ven diagram sort of way.
If it were me, unless funds were of the utmost importance (e.g. to pay for a burial or to keep someone in foodstuffs), I’d be tempted to sell it to his riding buddy for some minor amount, perhaps even for an amount donated to a local worthy cause or one that was dear to the recently departed.

It’s just a thing to us.

To the riding buddy, it’s a memory.
Old 01-31-21, 09:13 PM
romperrr 
Pedal to the medal

Bikes: 1991 Team Miyata Track, 1992 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 19?? Schwinn High Serra, 1982 Trek 614, 198X Raleigh Alyeska

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 131 Posts
^^^agreed
Old 02-01-21, 08:23 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Ok... Wow!
Old 02-01-21, 09:42 AM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
I would definitely make a deal for a lifelong cycling pal

Or just give it to him, I am sure the original owner would want it going to someone who will love it
Old 02-01-21, 09:58 AM
peashooter

Trust me guys, there will definitely be a "friends and family" price tag! Just trying to get a feel. The kids could use the $ but are not in dire need. It's really all about finding homes for a collection that he poured his heart and soul into as well as considerable talent.
Old 02-01-21, 10:02 AM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Beautiful bike !!!!
I believe the bike should go to the cycling friend.
That's where I would want my bike(s) to go.

Maybe a nominal amount to donate to a charity unless money is needed for expenses

Carma goes a long way.
For me......I would do what the owner of the bike would have wanted.......

Good Luck and Thank you for sharing
Old 02-01-21, 02:42 PM
SoccerBallXan

Bikes: Many!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 124 Posts
I’d start around $2,000 (maybe a couple hundred higher) and move downward accordingly. If I where the cycling buddy, I surely wouldn’t want to skimp on my friend for their late family’s prized possession.

2 cents not worth keeping, but always good to have.
Old 02-01-21, 06:32 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by peashooter
Trust me guys, there will definitely be a "friends and family" price tag! Just trying to get a feel. The kids could use the $ but are not in dire need. It's really all about finding homes for a collection that he poured his heart and soul into as well as considerable talent.
Be careful about discounting the price of anything in the collection. You could be getting yourself into some hot water, legally speaking.

Are you the executor of the will/successor trustee of the trust? If so, you have fiduciary obligations to the beneficiaries (sounds like its the kids). That means selling it for, or at least close to, what the market will bear. Unless all of the beneficiaries - and I mean all of them - agree otherwise in writing, I would urge against making a sweetheart deal with the riding buddy (unless you're okay with the idea of personally making up the difference between fair market value and what it sold for). Yours is a wonderful impulse that in most other circumstances I would agree with, but you could be getting yourself sideways with the kids. Remember, your idea of them not being in dire need may not be one or more of their ideas of not being in dire need.

I hate to be Debbie Downer here, but in matters of handling estates, you have to remember: as far as the law is concerned, the stuff isn't yours, it's theirs. Of course you understand that the stuff isn't your to pocket. But it also isn't your to give away or sell for a lot below FMV or do anything without their consent with that is not in the best interests of the kids - and that means getting a good price for all of the assets.
Old 02-02-21, 07:58 AM
peashooter

Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Be careful about discounting the price of anything in the collection. You could be getting yourself into some hot water, legally speaking.

Are you the executor of the will/successor trustee of the trust? If so, you have fiduciary obligations to the beneficiaries (sounds like its the kids). That means selling it for, or at least close to, what the market will bear. Unless all of the beneficiaries - and I mean all of them - agree otherwise in writing, I would urge against making a sweetheart deal with the riding buddy (unless you're okay with the idea of personally making up the difference between fair market value and what it sold for). Yours is a wonderful impulse that in most other circumstances I would agree with, but you could be getting yourself sideways with the kids. Remember, your idea of them not being in dire need may not be one or more of their ideas of not being in dire need.

I hate to be Debbie Downer here, but in matters of handling estates, you have to remember: as far as the law is concerned, the stuff isn't yours, it's theirs. Of course you understand that the stuff isn't your to pocket. But it also isn't your to give away or sell for a lot below FMV or do anything without their consent with that is not in the best interests of the kids - and that means getting a good price for all of the assets.

Well aware of all that! There isn't anything that gets done without full approval of the kids.
Old 02-02-21, 12:16 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
That complete bike would easily bring $3k. I have a friend that sold a 10th Anniversary frame, and it really didn't command a premium. That complete bike in that condition doesn't come up often, and deserves a premium. It's more a collector than a rider. IMO.

One question, is it the frame the right size for the cycling buddy or will he resell?

If it were me, I'd rather one of the kids considered hanging it on the wall to remember their dad. It's a cool bike. I'm not a collector, and it's not my size, but if I were, I would consider myself lucky to pick it up for $2.5k
Likes For jiangshi:
Old 02-02-21, 01:07 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Originally Posted by peashooter
Well aware of all that! There isn't anything that gets done without full approval of the kids.
Glad to hear it. Not surprised, but I wanted to make sure that you (and anyone else who might find themselves in a similar situation) didn't fall prey to that old legal truism, "no good deed goes unpunished."
Old 02-09-21, 07:21 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts

yeah, all could be avoided with a will.
Old 02-09-21, 10:16 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage

too late for that

reminds me of the old joke

”my nightmare is my wife sells my bikes for what i TOLD her i boughtthem for when i die”
Old 02-09-21, 02:56 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Originally Posted by repechage
Depends on what the will (or trust) says. There is rarely a provision that would cover the OP's situation in any detail. If it says "give the bikes to Joe," that's pretty clear. If it says "sell the bikes for current fair market value and divide the cash," that's reasonably clear but leaves some wiggle room - and room for objection by the beneficiaries. If it say "divide the residue between Joe, Mary and Susie," and the bikes are not the subject of a specific gift(s), which is more likely, that's when things can get interesting and any long-held family grudges are likely to come out. It sounds like that is not a problem in the OP's situation, but trustees/executors ought to play things as straight down the middle as possible, ideally with the knowledge and consent of the beneficiaries or approval of the court. Suffice to say there are far too many possible variables and scenarios to get into here.
Old 02-10-21, 01:00 AM
CyclesMakaron

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 259 Posts
Beautiful
Unusual fork
I would start by checking the factory markings (as usual)
Old 02-10-21, 01:33 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Depends on what the will (or trust) says. There is rarely a provision that would cover the OP's situation in any detail. If it says "give the bikes to Joe," that's pretty clear. If it says "sell the bikes for current fair market value and divide the cash," that's reasonably clear but leaves some wiggle room - and room for objection by the beneficiaries. If it say "divide the residue between Joe, Mary and Susie," and the bikes are not the subject of a specific gift(s), which is more likely, that's when things can get interesting and any long-held family grudges are likely to come out. It sounds like that is not a problem in the OP's situation, but trustees/executors ought to play things as straight down the middle as possible, ideally with the knowledge and consent of the beneficiaries or approval of the court. Suffice to say there are far too many possible variables and scenarios to get into here.
it was a plan to mess up the circling vulture relatives.
Old 02-10-21, 01:44 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
Wow, that's a beaut.