Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

magnet ant+ speed sensor in UK

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-21, 02:29 PM
jhnc

Bikes: 1998 Dawes Super Galaxy; 2020 Kinetics Rohloff/disc Brompton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What are my options for ANT+ speed sensors that don't fit to hub?

It's for a custom Brompton with dynamo/rohloff/disc hubs. At the front, the dynamo will interfere with anything attached to it. At the rear, the combination of large rohloff hub and small rim seem likely to apply excessive forces (eg. Garmin says - support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=Xfj1OzYQyP75XABsBABVk7 - hub mustn't be more than 41.4mm diameter (rohloff is 90mm) and I'd guess they are also assuming a larger, and hence slower spinning, wheel). Also, changing battery on something mounted on my rear hub will be a pain due to all the bits blocking access from both sides.

There might be space to fit a combo speed/cadence sensor unit above my left chainstay. (a'la "Brompton Bumble B") but on my bike there are a lot of cables running there (hydraulic from disc plus two gear cables from the rohloff).

So far, I have only found the Sigma 20502. I think I could fit one to my front fork but I can't find its manual online to check details.
Old 02-12-21, 07:34 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
You may just be resolved to use a GPS head unit and rely on the GPS signal for speed and distance.

Another option but would be a hack would be to attach the sensor to the spokes on the side. Sounds like Garmin has a location diameter limit. Odd since the cadence sensor can be out farther. Wahoo may be another choice. I have both Wahoo and Garmin on two different bike and don’t notice a difference.
Old 02-12-21, 02:20 PM
jhnc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by biker128pedal
You may just be resolved to use a GPS head unit and rely on the GPS signal for speed and distance.
Yeah, I may end up doing that. I would just have gone with a cheap wired bike computer (I'm only really interested in speed and total/trip distance) except that I've started using a HRM and I want something to beep at me when I go out of zone. Don't really want the clutter of multiple devices (assuming the bar even has enough space). My phone GPS is frequently off by 100s of metres so I'll be interested to see if the Bryton 410 I've ordered is any more accurate.

Another option but would be a hack would be to attach the sensor to the spokes on the side.
I thought of that but not sure it makes things better - the spokes start even further from the axle. A few people say they're using sensors on rohloff's so garmin may just be playing it safe. Anyway, I have a Sigma 20502 on order so I'll see how it goes.
Old 03-02-21, 01:37 PM
jhnc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Sigma 20502 is working well.