Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Psimet's tip of the Day

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Psimet's tip of the Day

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-08, 08:43 AM
Ih8lucky13
The Truth

Bikes: Felt f4c, Felt RXC, Guerciotti Khaybar,Guerciotti EM-2, Cervelo P-3.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thread delivers.
Old 05-07-08, 07:44 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
#12 - Once the headset bearings are correctly pre-loaded by slightly tightening the top cap bolt to the proper torque you need to "lock" the system in place. You accomplish this by tightening the stem mounting bolts to the proper torque.

This allows the stem to clamp onto the steerer tube (fork) and maintain it's position - thus locking in the preload on the bearings on the headset and holding the whole assembly in place.

tip - be sure to either grease the mounting bolt threads or apply an assembly paste (anti-sieze) to them before tightening them to the proper torque. If there was ever a need for a torque wrench....this is it.

Old 05-07-08, 08:38 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
60grams isn't a lot (calculate how much a bottle of water weighs ), but think about how much some are willing to pay to eliminate 60g from their wheelset.
I'm still skeptical about some people's obsession with their wheels. For one thing, AFAIK eliminating weight from a wheelset should mainly be about reducing the moment of inertia of said wheels, and removing 60g from such a small-diameter component would have zilch effect in that regard. Now eliminating weight from the rims and spokes is another matter...

For most vehicles (cars, motorcycles), wheel weight also becomes important in regards to reducing "unsprung weight" vs. "sprung weight". But on a road bike, the whole bike is virtually unsprung weight, so again a minor savings in the cassette seems to me would be the same as saving 60g anyplace else on the bike.

I do agree with you though on the comment about the effect of putting all of the load on a relatively thin portion of the hub splines vs. a standard cassette where every cog has its own splines.
Old 05-07-08, 08:44 AM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
Thank you for the headset tips. Most useful and educational. I bestow my highest honor on you:

Old 05-07-08, 09:38 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by DougG
I'm still skeptical about some people's obsession with their wheels. For one thing, AFAIK eliminating weight from a wheelset should mainly be about reducing the moment of inertia of said wheels, and removing 60g from such a small-diameter component would have zilch effect in that regard. Now eliminating weight from the rims and spokes is another matter...

For most vehicles (cars, motorcycles), wheel weight also becomes important in regards to reducing "unsprung weight" vs. "sprung weight". But on a road bike, the whole bike is virtually unsprung weight, so again a minor savings in the cassette seems to me would be the same as saving 60g anyplace else on the bike.

I do agree with you though on the comment about the effect of putting all of the load on a relatively thin portion of the hub splines vs. a standard cassette where every cog has its own splines.
I agree about the weight assertions. Many will spend $$$ to achieve that small weight reduction though. I guess I would be happier seeing people reduce the weight of their cassette - to the detrement of durability and cost - than going to radical extremes on wheels that could (usually) impact the safety of the wheel.

Again that's just my opinion. I think wheels are like chains in that people tend to argue their beliefs like they would their religion.

EC - thanks for the gold star - haven't seen one of those since grade school, and I think it should be obvious to everyone that even then it wasn't for any work I did in English or spelling.

Old 05-07-08, 10:32 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
#11 - Take a minute to understand how your threadless headset works. It's funny how many people do not actually understand how it works. Funny because it is, in essence, the simple nature of this design that is one if it's most attractive qualities.

The top cap (on front ends with Aluminum or Steel steerer tubes) has a bolt going through it which threads into a "star" nut which has been pressed into the steerer tube. This bolt has only one purpose...to preload the bearings in the headset.

IT DOES NOT HOLD THE HEADSET TOGETHER! Do NOT over tighten it!

More about headsets tomorrow. Today I have one of them new fangled edumicated In-Gen-Ears starting an internship for me today. I have 1 or 2 days to teach him everything that his school didn't so that we can get something accomplished before the end of summer.

....I'm such a smug ba$tard.

I was rebuilding a bike (transferring over the group from my race bike after upgrading) and thought that the bolt was just like the bolt on a quill stem: just tighten the crap out of it. I took the bike out for a little spin and at one point took both hands off the bars. I nearly crashed.

I went back home and looked up Sheldon's page on threadless headsets. I still couldn't wrap my head around the way it worked but at least I got the part about not over tightening it.
Old 05-07-08, 10:52 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

I think you hot the nail on the head. Coming from quill stems the instinct is usually to tighten the top cap bolt.

Old 05-07-08, 10:57 AM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
I think you hot the nail on the head. Coming from quill stems the instinct is usually to tighten the top cap bolt.
That was my instinct. I was going to mess with my stem / spacers / steerer the other day and ended up taking it to the shop instead. Glad I didn't as I would likely have f'd it up having not read your advice at that time. Having now read your advice, my future work will all come up roses.
Old 05-07-08, 11:56 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I was rebuilding a bike (transferring over the group from my race bike after upgrading) and thought that the bolt was just like the bolt on a quill stem: just tighten the crap out of it. I took the bike out for a little spin and at one point took both hands off the bars. I nearly crashed.

I went back home and looked up Sheldon's page on threadless headsets. I still couldn't wrap my head around the way it worked but at least I got the part about not over tightening it.
My first contact with a threadless headset was about a year ago when I received my "new" bike in a box from an ebay purchase. I literally had never looked at a threadless headset. I'd probably seen them since I have ridden with guys on modern bikes in recent years, but hadn't actually looked at it or recognized any difference other than the different kind of stem.

So I looked at that thing and had no idea how to reassemble it (it had been taken apart for shipping).

LUCKILY, I somehow knew enough to post an inquiry somewhere on the world wide inteweb and was pointed to the Park Tool site. Or maybe I was familiar with the "how to's" on that site and looked for myself.

Anyway, after printing the instructions and carefully reading them, I realized that compared to what I was used to, having rebuilt headsets in the distant (i.e. 70s/80s) past this was dead easy to do. Interestingly I was unfamiliar with the term "preload" having always thought of it simply as "bearing adjustment". As soon as I realized that the end cap was for that ("bearing adjustment"), it became very clear what was needed. The idea of only tightening a bearing adjustment as much as necessary to prevent play was very familiar to me, especially the part of going easy, testing, then tightening a little more if necessary. Now I tend to do it by feel.

Short version: the Park tool instructions are pretty easy to follow.
Old 05-08-08, 07:56 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

#13 - To round out stems - always torque the face bolts on your stem bar clamp to the correct manufacturer specification. These bolts are either made from softer material or are threaded into soft material as a general rule. Proper torque ensures that you don't strip the bolt or the stem and still have enough holding force to not make your bars dance when you hit bumps.

FWIW - Many stems will list torque on the stem itself. Many use 5 Nm as the torque spec for the face bolts.

Also....torque your face bolts - if a 4 bolt configuration is used - like you would a series of lug nuts or a head on an engine block. Use a criss-cross pattern instead of just torqueing in order around the perimeter. This will ensure proper clamping pressure as well.

If you have good dental insurance then feel free to ignore all of this.

Old 05-08-08, 08:47 AM
shider

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Trek 2300, Trek Portland, Schwinn Homegrown, Cannondale Road Tandem, Schwinn Le Tour Commuter, Gary Fisher Paragon 29er

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
#13 - To round out stems - always torque the face bolts on your stem bar clamp to the correct manufacturer specification. ...
To add to this, also make sure the gap between the face cap and the stem is even at the top and bottom. This is particularly critical for carbon bars.

Keep them coming Psimet. Good stuff!
Old 05-08-08, 09:49 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by shider
To add to this, also make sure the gap between the face cap and the stem is even at the top and bottom. This is particularly critical for carbon bars.

Keep them coming Psimet. Good stuff!
i do this on a 4 bolt face plate by gradually tightening the bolts in a crossing pattern. i.e. get all 4 bolts in, then finger tight, then tighten each one just a bit at a time working in an alternating pattern.
Old 05-08-08, 02:15 PM
neurocycler
Me Likey Bikey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ih8lucky13
This thread delivers.
+ 1 One of the few threads to actually contain useful info, keep it coming.
Old 05-08-08, 02:42 PM
tombailey
awaiting uci approval

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix RC 06

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great thread. I still don't fully understand my integrated headset. Anyone care to provide, or point me to, a good explanation?
Old 05-08-08, 03:14 PM
^oZ
shut up legs

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What don't you understand?

The bearings are pressed into the head tube instead of in the headset cups (which are pressed into the frame). Other than that it works like a regular headset.
Old 05-08-08, 03:24 PM
alanfleisig
NYC Maggie Backstedt fan

Bikes: Trek road and hybrid bikes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just wanted to add my 2 cents that whenever I see something new posted here, I always read it.

Thanks PSImet.
Old 05-08-08, 03:49 PM
mattj
hehe, he said 'member'

Bikes: trek 5200, specialized s-works m4 mtn bike, diamond back beater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alanfleisig
Just wanted to add my 2 cents that whenever I see something new posted here, I always read it.

Thanks PSImet.
+1
Old 05-08-08, 04:10 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Thanks guys.

Also to note - use grease or anti-sieze on the stem clamp face bolts as well to ensure proper torque is reached.

If I had to make a list of top 10 most critical assembly torques this would definitely make it.

Old 05-08-08, 04:14 PM
jcbenten
Just call me Chris

Bikes: 2019 Reven Voltage, 2007 Kestrel RT700 & Univega MB hard front/tail and is 27 years old.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Time to get a torque wrench.
Old 05-08-08, 04:37 PM
Bike Lover
Should be riding

Bikes: C-dale- moutain, Pedal Force RS- Campy Record, Quiring Ti XTR, Red line Monocog, S E F@r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't check my face plate bolts this year and stood up to get going and the handle bars slipped down. Luckily it wasn't enough to throw me around but it did freak me out a bit. Good thing I had my multi-tool with me.
Old 05-09-08, 08:02 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

#14 - Still with stems to round out the week.... Going back to preloading your headset bearings...

Make sure that there is a small amount of room between the top of the stem and the top of the fork steerer tube. In other words make sure that when the stem or the top spacer is placed on the fork that it stick up over the top. That way when the top cap nut is tightened (to preload the bearings) the whole assembly can be compressed.

If the top of the spacer or stem is flush or below the top of the steerer tube then when you tighten the top cap bolt you will simply be tightening the top cap against the fork...and not compressing the headset at all as intended. To fix this situation you have to do 1 of two things - add a spacer that will leave the appropriate gap, or cut your steerer tube to the correct length.

Tomorrow....BBs

Old 05-09-08, 09:05 AM
wanders
going roundy round

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jcbenten
+1 ....that and a couple vintage 7-11 jerseys.

Psimet, my wife thanks you.
Old 05-09-08, 09:31 AM
jbmadtown
Undrafted free-agent.

Bikes: 2005 Jamis Satellite w/ 105/Ultegra, Motobecane Fantom Cross Fixed, 1999 Schwinn Homegrown Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Psimet- thanks for the tips, good stuff. Looking forward to BB's and also servicing hubs!
Old 05-09-08, 09:42 AM
prendrefeu
How much does it weigh?

Bikes: Lotus Fixed, Bianchi Virata 2004

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for this thread Psimet. You're redeeming yourself (in my head). Keep up the great work and contributions.
Old 05-09-08, 11:03 AM
aham23
grilled cheesus

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jcbenten
agreed. but i sure could use a tip on which one to get. who to ask........?

later.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.