Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Folks who use Trek/Bontrager's DuoTrap S speed/cadence sensor, please step inside...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Folks who use Trek/Bontrager's DuoTrap S speed/cadence sensor, please step inside...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-15, 01:49 AM
busrydr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I get time this weekend, I have a Bontrager Node 2 that I will dig up and give a try with the DTS. I have not used it since I got my Garmin a couple of years ago, but it worked fine when I had it paired with the original DT.
Old 02-13-15, 07:22 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by RNAV
I'm on an SL frame.

From what I've seen thus far, I have a larger frame size than anyone who says they don't have problems. The folks who say everything is fine have small (i.e. sub 56cm) frames. I'm beginning to wonder if there's a transmission distance threshold that 56cm and larger frames breach for the DTS. But then Trek said they get an Edge 500 to work with my bike, so who knows.

Garmin is sending me a replacement Edge 500 under warranty . . . pretty cool of them to help me out with this. They had me delete my settings folder (no change), and then reformat the device (no change), and then said they were going to send me a replacement. I should receive the new Edge 500 in a few days and will post my results.
Personally I believe you are onto something with the transmission distance idea. I see that kind of thing all the time with old school wireless bike computers. I think there is a lot of variability in both transmission strength and reception sensitivity so that it is quite possible to be on the edge of poor functionality with a larger bike. They are purposely trying to limit the range of the devices probably to avoid interference as well as to conserve battery life. Sometimes they just get too close to the edge. (Ha ha, good pun!)

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 02-13-15, 02:44 PM
af2nr
Ride First, Work Later!!!

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Trek Superfly, Raleigh Rush Hour

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Be interesting to see how the new unit works, although mine is old enough it probable won't help me if that is the case?! I'm also on the SL, size 56.
Old 02-14-15, 11:26 PM
txags92

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Ok, I was able to take my new Emonda SL out for its first ride today. I have the Duotrap S and a Garmin 500. The bike is an SL frame in size 56. I had a couple of dropouts...nothing significant...both times I noticed it, it happened when I started up a steeper section of an incline and shifted to an easier gear. At times when climbing, my knee dips inward, and I suspect my leg was blocking the transmission briefly. My next ride will be on flatter terrain and I will see if the issue repeats.
Old 02-15-15, 07:22 PM
af2nr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@txags92 I don't think anyones have been significant just repeated? It seems as thought there is some issue, and mine does it regardless of whether or not I'm climbing, riding flats, or going downhill YMMV. As much as I didn't think much of this before @RNAV brought it up it seems pretty common on Emondas, with a small data set anyway. Know if I could just remember to bring it up at the LBS instead of shopping/bs'ing...
Old 02-19-15, 07:25 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
I received my replacement Garmin Edge 500 unit yesterday. Garmin was pretty easy to work with -- they even let me have my choice of color for the replacement unit (which was nice, because when I bought my original unit the white/blue scheme was the only color available, which doesn't go with my black/red bike).

I paired the new unit to the DTS and took it out for a spin today. I got the same auto pause malfunction at around 15 mph just 3 miles into my ride. Then the unit was fine for 20 miles. Then it gave me four back-to-back auto pauses while maintaining 18 mph. For the record, the unit arrived with the latest software pre-installed, and for fault-tracing purposes I did not sync the device with my computer prior to pairing it with the DTS or going for a ride. I just wanted to eliminate the possibility of some sort of malicious code transferring from my computer to the device.

Considering that both my original Edge 500 and the new Edge 500 do not drop my other ANT+ devices (Garmin's own GSC-10 sensor and two different heart rate monitors), I think it's reasonable to conclude that the problem rests with the DuoTrap S sensor. Does anyone see another conclusion that I'm not seeing?
Old 02-19-15, 07:57 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

No. Sensor. I wonder how you could test if it is position of the sensor. Can you move the Trek sensor to the fork and put the magnet on the front wheel? Do you still have the original one that Trek replaced?

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 02-20-15, 08:50 AM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
No. Sensor. I wonder how you could test if it is position of the sensor. Can you move the Trek sensor to the fork and put the magnet on the front wheel? Do you still have the original one that Trek replaced?
The duotrap sensors are integrated into the left side chainstay and can't be relocated.

Just an update .. I ride a 56cm Madone and at 2000 miles I have still had 0 issues with my connection to the Garmin 810.
Old 02-20-15, 08:55 AM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I need to gather some data points, and am requesting your help. Essentially, I need to know if you're having any connectivity issues with your DuoTrap S sensor and your cycling computer.

The problem: I get multiple speed dropouts per ride, where my Garmin will show a speed of 0 mph, it will auto-pause, and then immediately auto-resume and register my existing speed . . . all while still moving.

To Trek's credit, they've replaced my DuoTrap S sensor multiple times under warranty, but I still have the same issue. With the last sensor replacement, they connected it to a different Garmin unit than mine . . . and that unit didn't display any problems. So Trek thinks it's the Garmin. I've contacted Garmin support, and they think the problem is the sensor. I've heard from other members here who are having the same problem, but no one can seem to pinpoint whether the problem is with Garmin, or with the DuoTrap S.

Does anyone here with a DuoTrap S not have connectivity problems with their cycling computer? I haven't heard from anyone yet who has said their unit works flawlessly. Thanks for your help!
That last post gave me an idea. You can't move the sensor but you could attach the Garmin temporarily to the seat post and see if your issues disappear. This would confirm if it is a weak signal issue.
Old 02-20-15, 02:13 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Originally Posted by spdracr39
That last post gave me an idea. You can't move the sensor but you could attach the Garmin temporarily to the seat post and see if your issues disappear. This would confirm if it is a weak signal issue.
That's not a bad idea. I think I'll just stick the Edge in my jersey pocket and call it good.

For those who don't have problems with their DuoTrap S: how do you have your computer mounted? Stock garmin mount on stem? Bar-fly?
Old 02-20-15, 03:28 PM
rpenmanparker 

Right, but how are you going to watch it for 10 or 15 miles? Is there a function on the Garminto display a running graph of the speed and cadence so you could check it after the ride?

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 02-20-15, 03:35 PM
spdracr39

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There is if you sync your data to Garmin Connect and have auto pause turned off.
Old 02-20-15, 04:33 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Right, but how are you going to watch it for 10 or 15 miles? Is there a function on the Garminto display a running graph of the speed and cadence so you could check it after the ride?
I have my Garmin set up to make an audible tone whenever it auto-pauses.

I haven't mailed my old Edge 500 unit back to Garmin yet. So I've decided that, on my ride tomorrow morning, I'm going to run both Edge 500 units simultaneously. I'll have one mounted on the stem, and one in my pocket (which should have a more direct line of communication to the DTS sensor).

It'll be interesting to see if one auto-pauses and the other doesn't . . . or if they both auto-pause at the same time. I think that could help narrow down whether or not it's a proximity issue, and whether or not it's a Garmin vs. DuoTrap S problem.
Old 02-20-15, 04:37 PM
rpenmanparker 

I have my Garmin set up to make an audible tone whenever it auto-pauses.

I haven't mailed my old Edge 500 unit back to Garmin yet. So I've decided that, on my ride tomorrow morning, I'm going to run both Edge 500 units simultaneously. I'll have one mounted on the stem, and one in my pocket (which should have a more direct line of communication to the DTS sensor).

It'll be interesting to see if one auto-pauses and the other doesn't . . . or if they both auto-pause at the same time. I think that could help narrow down whether or not it's a proximity issue, and whether or not it's a Garmin vs. DuoTrap S problem.
Good plan. Let us know.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 02-21-15, 10:21 AM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

I went on my fault-tracing ride this morning and I'm hoping some of you are savvy enough examining route files to help me understand the results . . . they were not what I was expecting.

Here's how I accomplished the test:
  • I ran Strava on my iPhone connected to both the DuoTrap S (DTS) sensor and my HRM via bluetooth.
  • I ensured that both the replacement Garmin Edge 500 (henceforth referred to as "Edge A") and my original Garmin Edge 500 (henceforth referred to as "Edge B") were connected to the DTS and my HRM.
  • Edge A was mounted on the stem using Garmin's factory stem mount.
  • Edge B was in my left rear jersey pocket, providing a nearly direct line-of-sight to the DTS sensor, which is located on the non-drive side chain stay.
  • I started recording on Strava first. Then I began moving, and upon receiving the "press start" notification on Edge A, I pressed "start" on Edge A, then reached into my jersey pocket to press "start" on Edge B about 10 seconds later.
  • Whenever the speed sensor dropped, which would result in an audible "auto-pause" and an audible "auto-restart" notification, I would depress the "lap/reset" button on the respective Edge. For Edge A, time from auto-pause/auto-restart sequence to pressing lap/reset button was about 2-3 seconds. For Edge B, the response time was longer (8-10 seconds) since I would have to reach into my jersey, remove the device, and then press the button.

Results:
  • Edge A dropped two times. Once at ~01:48.2, and the second time at ~51:02.
  • Edge B dropped three times. Once at ~02:40.0, second at ~51:59, and third at ~1:16:57.

So, I'm not quite sure what to make of the data. It's clear that Edge A & B dropped relatively close to one another . . . within a minute of the other both times (it seemed closer than that while on the road, though). That said, they didn't drop simultaneously, which is frankly what I was expecting to happen. And then you've got the outlier third drop by Edge B, which again goes against what I was expecting -- considering it was closer to the DTS, I was expecting more reliable communication.

I'm going to make all three data files public in the hopes someone can analyze them and help make sense of this data. Please don't make fun of my terrible average speed -- the wind was 18 knots gusting to 28 knots during the ride, and was quite demoralizing!

Strava file: https://www.strava.com/activities/257859127/analysis
Edge A file: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/702475706
Edge B file: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/702479605

If someone wants the actual files, I can email them out.

So . . . what do you all think of this?
Old 02-21-15, 10:38 AM
Up North

Bikes: P1 Domane Di2, SLR Emonda Di2, Trek Farley 9 Fatbike

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have had zero problems with my SLR and my 810. I'd say you have a duotrap or edge issue. Is there any chance you have a radio tower or something similar on your rides which might mess with signals?
Old 02-21-15, 10:38 AM
spdracr39

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I didn't notice it mentioned but do you have any other electronics or lights on your bike? I know someone that can't use his cat eye when his led headlight is running. Other than that is has to be a weak signal from the duotrap.
Old 02-21-15, 10:58 AM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Originally Posted by Up North
I have had zero problems with my SLR and my 810. I'd say you have a duotrap or edge issue. Is there any chance you have a radio tower or something similar on your rides which might mess with signals?
I doubt it's a radio tower. My reasoning is that the drop outs don't occur at a specific location; they're location agnostic. Additionally, neither Garmin unit has drop outs when paired with Garmin's GSC-10 speed/cadence sensor.
Old 02-21-15, 11:00 AM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

I didn't notice it mentioned but do you have any other electronics or lights on your bike? I know someone that can't use his cat eye when his led headlight is running. Other than that is has to be a weak signal from the duotrap.
I do run a knog blindr r tail light. That said, I experienced drop outs when I first got the bike, and I didn't get the tail light until a couple months later.
Old 02-21-15, 11:23 AM
spdracr39

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well the only thing I can think of is borrowing another model of Garmin and see if that fixes it. Perhaps it is just an issue between the two specific models of devices. Mounting the garmain sensor is a pain on the duotrap ready frame and with the new duotrap s design it is even harder to keep it adjusted.
Old 02-21-15, 11:37 AM
af2nr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It isn't specific to his model of Garmin as I have the same issues with my 800 and SL6 with Duotrap S. To add to the mix I've also used 3 different mounts since getting my bike and it doesn't change anything, Garmin stem mount, out front mount and now using the KEdge combo mount. I haven't noticed any changes since adding my Garmin Virb either, for the better or worse? I do find it interesting that that the drops are related when pairing both units, although not exact?!
Old 02-21-15, 01:45 PM
rpenmanparker 

I doubt it's a radio tower. My reasoning is that the drop outs don't occur at a specific location; they're location agnostic. Additionally, neither Garmin unit has drop outs when paired with Garmin's GSC-10 speed/cadence sensor.
Do you put the Garmin sensor on the rear wheel or the front when you test it?

Originally Posted by LAJ

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 03-18-15 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-21-15, 02:34 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Do you out the Garmin sensor on the rear wheel or the front when you test it?
The Garmin GSC-10 sensor was installed at the rear (non-drive side chain stay, pretty much same location as the DTS).
Old 02-21-15, 03:09 PM
Trucker Dan

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No problems with my 2014 madone 7. I'm using a garmin 810 mounted with a k-edge mount.
Old 02-21-15, 03:13 PM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a duo trap on the Domane I got last April. I had issues at first, but since then everything's worked fine. I think in my case it was user error as I seem to have been the weak link between the duo trap and the garmin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.