Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

brifters, why not?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

brifters, why not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-09, 08:25 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
brifters, why not?

i started using them in '91. never looked back. i love edward shifterhands, do you?
Old 07-19-09, 08:43 PM
MrMittens

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, seriously. Who would actually legitimately try to argue against them?
Old 07-19-09, 08:46 PM
bassplayinbiker

Bikes: Diamondback centurion. Home built tandem

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
yea, seriously, lame thread.

end/
Old 07-19-09, 08:47 PM
Georgebowen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Suicide Shifters are so much safer and easy.

Old 07-19-09, 09:17 PM
d2create

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For commuting or touring, Dia Compe Silver bar-ends set to friction kill indexed brifters.
For racing where speed counts for everything, indexed brifters for the win.
Old 07-19-09, 09:28 PM
MadGrad

Bikes: '09 Trek 7.5FX, '09 Cannondale CAAD9-5

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn6w2...FCA68A&index=4
Old 07-20-09, 12:07 AM
zzzwillzzz
shut up and ride

Bikes: supersix hi-mod,burley duet tandem,woodrup track,cannondale cross,specialized road

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by d2create
For commuting or touring, Dia Compe Silver bar-ends set to friction kill indexed brifters.
fail. please show your work
Old 07-20-09, 12:27 AM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts

I used to have friction shifters and I can say that it was only nice for the FD. Got hills on your commute? Brifters win
Old 07-20-09, 07:44 AM
d2create

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zzzwillzzz
fail. please show your work
Ok, here ya go.

Old 07-20-09, 07:45 AM
d2create

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hairnet
I used to have friction shifters and I can say that it was only nice for the FD. Got hills on your commute? Brifters win
Hills? Even better! Shift through the whole set of cogs at one time if you need to.
Old 07-20-09, 07:51 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts

When I was in college, my Nishiki Competition had bar end shifters, which were quite efficient and comfortable.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 07-20-09, 08:05 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3597 Post(s)
Liked 3,421 Times in 1,946 Posts
Originally Posted by Georgebowen
Suicide Shifters are so much safer and easy.
Real Men use the Cambio Corsa:

Old 07-20-09, 08:08 AM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
ditch all shifters
Old 07-20-09, 08:08 AM
flaco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ditch the word "brifter"
Old 07-20-09, 08:13 AM
Flash
Are you with me

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced SL, Blue T-14 TT bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have brifters on one bike, downtube shifters on the other. I like both.

Old 07-20-09, 08:26 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Bar-ends are great and all, but why on earth would you use friction mode? Indexing gives you all the benefits of bar-ends - cost, durability, etc - with none of the aggravation. Friction shifting works fine, but rear indexing is unquestionable superior.
Old 07-20-09, 09:04 AM
d2create

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by grolby
Bar-ends are great and all, but why on earth would you use friction mode? Indexing gives you all the benefits of bar-ends - cost, durability, etc - with none of the aggravation. Friction shifting works fine, but rear indexing is unquestionable superior.
Why? Because it's so easy and fail proof! Set the derailleurs up once when first building the bike and NEVER adjust them again, even as your cables stretch. Never miss a shift. Shift up or down through as many cogs as you want in one quick shift. Shift and the drive train is making noise? No problem! Just make a slight adjustment with the shift lever and you are good to go. Have a triple up front, or even a double? No worries about chain line because you always have infinite minute adjustment over the derailleur as you ride. It's funny that you say, "with none of the aggravation", because that's exactly why my commuter HAS friction shifters... none of the aggravation of indexed. Indexed is great when it's adjusted perfectly and when speed of shifting is critical, and I have bikes with both, but it is far from superior.
Old 07-20-09, 09:08 AM
MadGrad

Bikes: '09 Trek 7.5FX, '09 Cannondale CAAD9-5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's really not that hard to adjust indexed shifters. My front derailleur hardly ever has to be adjusted, and my rear needs just a quick turn of a knob.
Old 07-20-09, 09:24 AM
DaJMasta

Bikes: Giant XTC Team Custom XC bike, Nashbar tourer custom commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got an argument (weak though it may be) against brifters..... price

Not to say that decent bar end shifters are much cheaper, but even basic brifters are pretty pricey.... I guess it's sort of value added as it takes care of the brakes too.
Old 07-20-09, 09:54 AM
grolby

Why? Because it's so easy and fail proof!
Like my indexed shifters?

Set the derailleurs up once when first building the bike and NEVER adjust them again, even as your cables stretch.
Uh, yeah - that too. Cable stretch does not exist. Poor cable installation does. I get my shifters adjusted when I install the cables, and they stay in adjustment. It's not that hard.

Never miss a shift. Shift up or down through as many cogs as you want in one quick shift.
I never miss a shift myself. So? As for shifting up lots of cogs at once, big deal. You can do that with indexed bar-ends. And even though you can't do it with Shimano or SRAM, it doesn't matter. Who needs to regularly upshift more than one cog at once? It's a simple matter to tap the upshift lever multiple times if need be.

Shift and the drive train is making noise? No problem! Just make a slight adjustment with the shift lever and you are good to go.
Or turn the barrel adjust a quarter turn. BFD.

Have a triple up front, or even a double? No worries about chain line because you always have infinite minute adjustment over the derailleur as you ride.
I happen to like friction front shifting. The benefits of indexed front shifting are marginal. It's huge advance for rear shifting, though.

It's funny that you say, "with none of the aggravation", because that's exactly why my commuter HAS friction shifters... none of the aggravation of indexed. Indexed is great when it's adjusted perfectly and when speed of shifting is critical, and I have bikes with both, but it is far from superior.
Indexed shifters are easy to set up, and once set up right they are not finicky, aggravating or difficult to work with. That's why I don't understand these arguments about how indexed shifting is so sensitive or finicky - it's not! 99% of the problem people have is bad set up when the cables are first installed.

Of course, this is assuming bikes and parts of a reasonable level of quality - i.e. not department store level - and that some minimal effort is made to keep the bike maintained, or at least not too exposed to the elements. I've seen pictures of your bikes. They're beautiful; this isn't a problem for you. If a bike is just going to be left outside all the time and never maintained, sure - friction will be more reliable. Which isn't saying much. Mistreated bikes shift badly whether they have friction or indexed shifters.

Not trying to pick on you man, but I think the "issues" with indexed shifting are blown way out of proportion. Friction shifting shouldn't be scary, but indexing is superior.
Old 07-20-09, 09:59 AM
grolby

Originally Posted by DaJMasta
I've got an argument (weak though it may be) against brifters..... price

Not to say that decent bar end shifters are much cheaper, but even basic brifters are pretty pricey.... I guess it's sort of value added as it takes care of the brakes too.
Oh no, decent bar-ends ARE much cheaper. That's the bummer about integrated controls - you pay for that performance. Indexed bar-ends are great; I definitely prefer the integrated levers, at least for fast riding and shifting, but bar-ends are more than adequate for commuting, touring or what-have-you. Actually, they're adequate for everything, but brifters are superior when you want the best performance or if you prefer the feel.
Old 07-20-09, 10:02 AM
Walter
SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Because of injury I have to friction shift my FD. Though I like to retro-grouch I can't really say anything against brifters (I like S. Brown's word and think it should be in Webster's) and use them pretty much exclusively nowadays.

Even if I wasn't dealing with a permanent injury I agree with those who advocate friction shifting FDs.

Old 07-20-09, 10:10 AM
d2create

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by grolby
Not trying to pick on you man, but I think the "issues" with indexed shifting are blown way out of proportion. Friction shifting shouldn't be scary, but indexing is superior.
No worries! Like I said, I use both and see advantages to each side and I think either can be the better choice depending on the intended use. I just don't see one as being overall superior to the other. IMHO, saying that indexed is vastly superior is blowing it out of proportion the other way, ya know?
Old 07-20-09, 10:26 AM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I've read this type of thread here and on other BF forums and can only offer the following:
The demand for bikes with index, but Non-brifter iindex shifters (downtube or stem) is so low that only three manufacturers (that I'm aware of) offer bikes with this equipment. They are Fuji, Schwinn, and Bikes Direct. And these firms offer them on a few limited, low end models.
The demand for Friction shifters is so low that no major manufacturer has seized upon the cost savings, and simple operation and offered them on new road bikes (or hybrids).

Taking into consideration all the different varitey of bikes that each manufacturer produces, trying to fit every niche, if the demand for non-brifter and/or non-index shifter bikes was out there, we'd see names like Trek, Specialized, and Cannondale producing bikes with this equipment. But we only rarely, if ever see this.

I understand that some folks really like the old shifters ( I personally have taken a liking to friction stem shifters on my beater bikes), but the buying public just isn't interested.
Old 07-20-09, 11:56 AM
zzzwillzzz
shut up and ride

Bikes: supersix hi-mod,burley duet tandem,woodrup track,cannondale cross,specialized road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, here ya go.

you still haven't explained why they're better.

the slower and flatter you ride the less you need integrated shifting (obviously). start riding faster and on more varied terrain with other riders and you'll soon see the benefits. i've got sti on my 'cross bike and bar ends on my spare road bike the i sometimes use for 'cross racing and it's no comparison, it's so much easier with sti shifting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.