Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Colonoscopy and cycling...

Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Colonoscopy and cycling...

Old 08-28-19, 12:03 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1558 Post(s)
Liked 1,144 Times in 583 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I have an unfortunate family history which requires me to have a colonoscopy every five years… Started at 42 years old. I curse my father.

To be blunt: your ass will never know that it has been violated. There is no pain. The prep is no fun, and you will need to sleep off the anesthesia – so the day of the procedure is a complete write off. You’ll be on the bike the next day if you wish.

Good luck with it! It’s a good preventative measure, especially if you are at risk. Finding any issues early dramatically improves your prospects. But they probably won’t find anything, and then you can feel great for another five years or 10 years.

PS: If you are male, make sure that the physician examines your prostate while in there. It’s an ideal opportunity, since you will be unconscious.

PPS: arrange for someone to drive you home. The anesthesia is very unpredictable.
This. I'm in a similar predicament, probably for different reasons: upper GI (endoscopy) every three, colonoscopy every five. Prep is no fun, but 'day of' though a write-off is no biggie. Good to go next day.

Good advice re. the drive home. Up here (Canada>Ontario) they actually won't do the procedure unless you have someone to drive you home or otherwise get you out of the hospital.
Old 08-28-19, 12:09 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6866 Post(s)
Liked 10,828 Times in 4,621 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
This. I'm in a similar predicament, probably for different reasons: upper GI (endoscopy) every three, colonoscopy every five. Prep is no fun, but 'day of' though a write-off is no biggie. Good to go next day.

Good advice re. the drive home. Up here (Canada>Ontario) they actually won't do the procedure unless you have someone to drive you home or otherwise get you out of the hospital.
Oh, yeah. After my first colonoscopy, I woke up in the recovery room and said to the nurse, "I need to give you my friend's phone number, so you can call her for my ride home."

The nurse looked at me and said, "You gave me that number ten minutes ago."

I said, "Well, I guess this is why you don't want me driving a car."

A couple years later, at our weekly group ride, the doctor who performed the procedure rolled up for his first ride with us. As someone was going around making intros, they got to me, and I said "Oh, we know each other. He's been up my ass." There was a looong awkward pause until one of us mentioned the colonoscopy...Then a good laugh.
Old 08-28-19, 01:13 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18269 Post(s)
Liked 15,185 Times in 7,172 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I don't recall any discomfort in the saddle area
I was a little raw from wiping after my first one, but that's it.
Old 08-28-19, 01:22 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5216 Post(s)
Liked 3,555 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I was a little raw from wiping after my first one, but that's it.
I've got the solution for that. the prep is annoying, but after the first few BMs it's gets clearer & cleaner. not to share to much but after ea. BM I used a nitrile glove & a dab of this stuff. insert finger 1/4" for good measure. went thru a few gloves, so what ...

Desitin Clear Diaper Rash Ointment

it's not the smelly white stuff they used to make. this looks like Vaseline & is odorless

Old 08-28-19, 01:27 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18269 Post(s)
Liked 15,185 Times in 7,172 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
insert finger 1/4" for good measure.
Thanks, but no.

And now I am thinking about the part from the film "Ted" about the fireman and the dog attack.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-28-19, 01:59 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Thanks, but no. And now I am thinking about the part from the film "Ted" about the fireman and the dog attack.
hmmm don't know the movie or clip. why do I quote The Wedding Crashers so much ...?

Old 08-28-19, 02:50 PM
Dr.Lou

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
The anesthesia is very unpredictable.
Very true! I remember laying in the procedure room listening to CCR’s “Up around the bend,” when the next thing I know is I am in IHOP repacking my colon. Absolutely don’t remember anything in between.
Old 08-29-19, 06:03 AM
KenCT

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 (2021) Cannondale Cujo 2 (2018) Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 (2017) Giant Sedona (2006) Cannondale R1000 (2001)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Up here (Canada>Ontario) they actually won't do the procedure unless you have someone to drive you home or otherwise get you out of the hospital.
Same here in Connecticut, I took an Uber to the out-patient clinic for mine. A good friend of mine picked me up in his 1959 Cadillac Ambulance.
We are both retired firefighters and were on the same ambulance crew 35 years ago.

1958 Cadillac Ambulance
Likes For KenCT:
Old 08-29-19, 07:49 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by KenCT
Same here in Connecticut, I took an Uber to the out-patient clinic for mine. A good friend of mine picked me up in his 1959 Cadillac Ambulance.
We are both retired firefighters and were on the same ambulance crew 35 years ago.1958 Cadillac Ambulance
awesome!
Old 08-29-19, 07:50 AM
rumrunn6

Wifey & I have a pact, we request 1st apt of the day, se we don't get bumped by delays with other ppl. also, you get to eat earlier. then afterward, go out for breakfast.
Old 08-29-19, 06:21 PM
jskash

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Sirrus 6 and 2018 Giant Escape Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
I ride the day after my procedures without any issue.
Old 08-30-19, 02:20 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 60 Posts
For one thing, it's not for people with certain risk factors.
+1. No substitute for actually detecting and removing polyps, which, if ignored will eventually become malignant.
Old 09-05-19, 06:44 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1724 Post(s)
Liked 1,346 Times in 703 Posts
Had two of them done, and both times 2 polyps were removed. Examination of the tissue determined they were the bad kind and I have to go in every 5 years now. Sucks, but beats colon cancer. Each time I rode the next day. Tell you what, the knock out juice they administer is very effective and I slept nearly the rest of the day one I got home. It was really good, deep sleep, which I rarely get anymore. Felt good to sleep like that.
Old 09-13-19, 08:16 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Tell you what, the knock out juice they administer is very effective and I slept nearly the rest of the day one I got home. It was really good, deep sleep, which I rarely get anymore. Felt good to sleep like that.
I think most use propofol, at least that's what I was given. Good stuff, no recollection of the procedure, but I was fully altert within about an hour. It is one of medications in the cocktail of drugs that Micheal Jackson died from.

Worst part of the whole procedure was paying the many bills that came afterward.
Old 09-14-19, 12:04 PM
roadsnakes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 112 Posts
Next Day
'

Old 09-15-19, 05:58 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3866 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,362 Posts
After this last one, I'd sure be interested in getting a good fecal sample and having it replanted after the procedure. The prep or whatever totally knocked out my intestinal flora. I'll be a long time getting them back, and I eat yogurt, take probiotics, all that stuff, but they're not MINE. I have 5 years to plan . . .
Old 06-08-20, 05:42 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3351 Post(s)
Liked 5,400 Times in 2,796 Posts
Originally Posted by randallr
Some docs will do a colonoscopy w/o anesthesia if you so choose. Mine did. Apparently lots of folks in Europe go that route. In that case, one could ride really soon afterward.
Just had one today, and opted for no anesthesia. The nurse even mentioned they had a patient who had originally lived in Europe and thought it was weird that anesthesia is SOP in the US. The doctor even gave me a live, guided tour (on the monitor) of my subway tunnels!
Old 09-15-20, 02:29 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
Just had one today, and opted for no anesthesia.
That's the best part.

Had mine this morning at 9:00am, the report I got said they went in 120cm (47"). Glad i was out.

Home by 11:00, eat some eggs, took a nap and took a 10 mile ride at 3:00pm. Tomorrow i'll do my usual 45+ mile as long as I feel OK.
Old 09-20-20, 12:05 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6063 Post(s)
Liked 4,694 Times in 3,238 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
Just had one today, and opted for no anesthesia. The nurse even mentioned they had a patient who had originally lived in Europe and thought it was weird that anesthesia is SOP in the US. The doctor even gave me a live, guided tour (on the monitor) of my subway tunnels!
I don't use anesthesia either. Back earlier than the 1990's they didn't give anesthesia as a rule here in the US either. I think it caught on from doctors just not wanting us bothering them with questions in the middle of the procedure and Health care facilities realizing that they get more revenue if anesthesia is used. I have had to work some to find a doctor that will do it without.

It's nice being able to leave their office as soon as you can blow out a big fart. And none of the very short term effects of anesthesia that keep you from driving yourself home or going for a bike ride that same day. Unless maybe you also have a bad case of hemorrhoid's or rectal parasites, then it's completely painless.

On a similar note, I feel many circumcisions today are done simply because it gives the health care facility some more revenue. Not for any health related issues since most of the frequently used reasons have been nixed by studies. So only religious reasons or a personal preference remain valid.

Last edited by Iride01; 09-20-20 at 12:10 PM.