Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hope RX4 Discs Not Warranted For Tandem Use

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Hope RX4 Discs Not Warranted For Tandem Use

Old 07-22-22, 04:47 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by longpete
I think that's nonsense. Could you still brake before you tried to change the pads? Breaking= moving pistons. That the heat damaged the seals this is possible.
Did you trie to push the pistons out without brake pads attached? If that worked put some brake fluid on them and push them back, (move them out a few times, push them back and clean off oil.
Brakes with dot u have to bleed once or twice a year.
the pistons would push out, hence the brakes still stopped the bike. They wouldn’t retract far enough to allow new pads to fit in.

I think their point is that continuing to use the brakes when the pads were past their useful life added to the heat problem.. it seems reasonable that braking hard to make pads that are shot work could increase the heat generated, and limit the ability to dissipate it.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

Last edited by merlinextraligh; 07-22-22 at 04:51 PM.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 07-26-22, 09:31 PM
Chilepines

Bikes: 1984 homemade 531SL road bike; 1988 Ritchey TimberComp; 1997 Nashbar tandem; 1998 Kona Explosif; Specialized Epic, Scott CR1 Pro; Salsa Beargrease; Curtlo custom Tandem, Curtlo custom S3 steel gravel bike.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
Maybe it's too late now but did you bleed the system and try pushing the pistons guy back in when the bleed syringes were in place? I agree with longpete that if the brakes were still working the seals are not shot.
Old 08-04-22, 09:56 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,620 Times in 926 Posts
I did not read every post.
What this discussion reminded me of is the heat loads generated by exceptionally tall &/or heavy riders of the type that DirtySixer specifically market their bikes to. Their front hub has 2 disc rotors. 1 left, 1 right as would be seen on a high performance motorcycle.

I would be curious to know what hub & fork they use & how they accomplish the task. It would seem uniquely suited to tandem use. 200% the heat capacity of single bike systems.

Fast forward to 0:50 seconds.

Car dependency is a tax.