Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New York City TD 5 Boro Bike Tour 2017

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-17, 12:29 PM
sh00k

Bikes: 2011 Trek FX 7.3 | 2015 Trek FX 7.4 | Lotus Classique

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts

Registration opened a week ago for club members and it opened to the general public today.

Just wondering who's planning on going
Old 01-10-17, 12:50 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Some issues in past years, giant crowds of not moving bikers?
Old 01-11-17, 08:48 AM
demoncyclist

Bikes: 2011 Lynskey Sportive, 1988 Cannondale SM400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It used to be a great ride, and worth the trip from Boston. Security has gotten so tight that there is a severe limit on what you are allowed to carry on your bike, which makes it more difficult to shed layers as the day warms up- no place to stash clothing, or carry food if you want something specific that they don't have at waterstops (my wife has very specific dietary restrictions and allergies). That, coupled with the overall deterioration of manners in a very large group of riders forced us to reconsider. Then they added the whole lottery thing to even be able to register. It will be a long time before we even consider it again.
Old 01-11-17, 09:26 AM
sh00k

Yes there were issues with stopages but i don't think it detracted from the overall fun of it. and the stops (two that i experienced) were maybe for 15-25 minutes max due to the sheer volume of riders. at least, that was my experience. my trick is to take it slow and leave the start line later than most people. I'm going with a group and we plan to start the ride closer to 930.

As for the backpacks, the last time i did the ride was in 2014 and i saw many people with backpacks. they say you cant bring it but with however many thousand riders, i dont think there are cops/route helpers that would stop you. besides, you have a medical reason for carrying it so it's absolutely warranted.

i am doing the ride for fun with a group of friends and plan on stopping several times along the route for selfies/food/etc. the tough part for me is trying to pick which bike to use - my trek fx 7.4 hybrid or my emonda sl6 lol.
Old 01-12-17, 04:07 AM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by demoncyclist
It used to be a great ride, and worth the trip from Boston. Security has gotten so tight that there is a severe limit on what you are allowed to carry on your bike, which makes it more difficult to shed layers as the day warms up- no place to stash clothing, or carry food if you want something specific that they don't have at waterstops (my wife has very specific dietary restrictions and allergies). That, coupled with the overall deterioration of manners in a very large group of riders forced us to reconsider. Then they added the whole lottery thing to even be able to register. It will be a long time before we even consider it again.
Agree ! I think our first 5boro was the 20 th, this year is 40 th - it was at one time a fun ride. We live in a very rural area, for us it was a family ride in a big city. We went last, a couple years ago, so called security changes made it less spontaneous than previous years. My partner and I were considering going this year (sans now mostly solo kids), decided it wasn't worth the hassle.
Old 01-12-17, 09:43 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by demoncyclist
Mostly not true, the past few years I've ridden I had a rack on my bike, had no problems putting my jacket on the rack with a bungy.(last year nobody wanted to take anything off) You could also put any food in a bag and strap it to the rack.
They only did the lottery one year, it's been FCFS the past couple of years.
It's NYC, and 30k people, some folks are bound to be rude, but overall I've had no bad experience with people.
Old 01-15-17, 10:14 PM
Heyspike

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale Carbon Synapse,2016 Cannondale Beast of the East, 2014 Cannondale CAADX, 1990's Specialized Hard Rock

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in, we have a group of guys, may ride fatties.
Old 01-16-17, 08:48 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I am doing this next year, always wanted to do this ride. Dates didn't work this year but next year. I just wish it wasn't a 22 hour drive over to NY!
Old 01-17-17, 04:08 AM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by sh00k
Registration opened a week ago for club members and it opened to the general public today.

Just wondering who's planning on going
The One Boro bike tour is back! If you never rode it before, do it.

However, its really only a tour of Manhattan as you see almost nothing of the Bronx. The Queens and Brooklyn section are highways only. The Staten Island section covers just the tip and that's all.

You can see the same thing for free by riding your bike from Battery Park all the way to the tip of central park using bike lanes.

It sold out so you'll have to buy your vest on Craigs list. Unless you want to spend $340 dollars for VIP! I can't believe the even is now $100.00 dollars for what you can do for free.
Old 01-17-17, 10:03 AM
sh00k

Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
The One Boro bike tour is back! If you never rode it before, do it.

However, its really only a tour of Manhattan as you see almost nothing of the Bronx. The Queens and Brooklyn section are highways only. The Staten Island section covers just the tip and that's all.

You can see the same thing for free by riding your bike from Battery Park all the way to the tip of central park using bike lanes.

It sold out so you'll have to buy your vest on Craigs list. Unless you want to spend $340 dollars for VIP! I can't believe the even is now $100.00 dollars for what you can do for free.
I absolutely respect your opinion but i feel the $100 is for the experience. I absolutely agree that you can do the ride on your own for free but, for me, i find value in paying $100 and to be able to ride on very famous/crazy busy streets/highways in the city with absolutely zero car traffic. as it is now, i dont ride on the road - i only ride bike paths and my neighborhood loop which has almost no car traffic.

for a more serious rider, you are right, you barely touch the boroughs so whoever wants to explore them in detail can do that on their own. for the casual rider like me that was born and raised in nyc, im fine with the route as it is
Old 03-26-17, 06:20 AM
sh00k

got both my trek fx hybrid and trek emonda sl6 road bike serviced/tuned up today in prep for this season. i am not sure which i plan on riding in the tour but im leaning towards the emonda.

hopefully the weather will clear up / warm up enough so that i can get at least 2-3 30 mile practice rides in before the big day!
Old 03-26-17, 06:48 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Question-------------------What prevents anyone from just showing up and riding? In the case of a massive ride like this with lots of people, I think I would take my trike for sure. Easy to stop and start all clipped in.
Old 03-26-17, 06:52 AM
fastk9dad

Bikes: Specialized Tricross, Cannondale CAAD10

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Isn't this basically a 40 mile ride? How much gear are people taking that require a backpack or other storage? I presume they allow you to fill up your bottles at a stop, then a few bars/gels/snacks in jersey pockets. A jacket can be rolled up and stuffed in a jersey pocket.
Old 03-27-17, 04:42 AM
BobbyMo

Bikes: Specialized AWOL

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am in. None of the ride in Queens is on highways (aside from crossing on the bridge). Half of the ride in Brooklyn is also on surface streets, not highways. Its pretty hard to 'see all the boroughs' on just a 40 mile ride. If one wants to really see the boroughs, then the NYC Century is the way to go (although it does not cover Staten Island at all).

FYI - riders without credentials, helmets, etc are ejected by marshals and the police each year. Marshals are instructed to alert the police for riders not following the 'bag rules'. There are also points where police are looking for exactly that. They will stop you and confiscate your bag. Obviously, its to help prevent a terrorist attack similar to what happened in the Boston Marathon and to help keep everyone safe. Riders can have baskets; just not large opaque bags. There is a size limit that is certainly large enough to allow medicine, extra clothing, etc. Panniers for a 40 mile ride? No.
Old 03-27-17, 05:33 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyMo
I am in. None of the ride in Queens is on highways (aside from crossing on the bridge). Half of the ride in Brooklyn is also on surface streets, not highways. Its pretty hard to 'see all the boroughs' on just a 40 mile ride. If one wants to really see the boroughs, then the NYC Century is the way to go (although it does not cover Staten Island at all).

FYI - riders without credentials, helmets, etc are ejected by marshals and the police each year. Marshals are instructed to alert the police for riders not following the 'bag rules'. There are also points where police are looking for exactly that. They will stop you and confiscate your bag. Obviously, its to help prevent a terrorist attack similar to what happened in the Boston Marathon and to help keep everyone safe. Riders can have baskets; just not large opaque bags. There is a size limit that is certainly large enough to allow medicine, extra clothing, etc. Panniers for a 40 mile ride? No.
What are the "bag rules", and explain further how police identify out law riders.

Also what if a cyclist is simply riding to work on the route. Isnt this a free country?
Old 03-27-17, 02:18 PM
Hokiedad4

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant Contend

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Question-------------------What prevents anyone from just showing up and riding? In the case of a massive ride like this with lots of people, I think I would take my trike for sure. Easy to stop and start all clipped in.
There are cops and volunteers everywhere. Without a bib and plate, you'd stick out like a sore thumb. You wouldn't get past the start.

There are two ways you can participate. One is to join a charity team. The second is to volunteer, but becoming a ride marshall, which is the most coveted volunteer position, is nearly impossible. So if you volunteer, you'll most likely end up handing out bananas or something.
Old 03-27-17, 02:22 PM
Hokiedad4

What are the "bag rules", and explain further how police identify out law riders.

Also what if a cyclist is simply riding to work on the route. Isnt this a free country?
The bag rules are on the web site. No backpacks or panniers. Handlebar bags, top tube bags, seat bags are fine. These are NYPD rules and are the same for all big events since those ******** decided to blow up the Boston marathon.
Old 03-27-17, 02:24 PM
Hokiedad4

Originally Posted by fastk9dad
Isn't this basically a 40 mile ride? How much gear are people taking that require a backpack or other storage? I presume they allow you to fill up your bottles at a stop, then a few bars/gels/snacks in jersey pockets. A jacket can be rolled up and stuffed in a jersey pocket.
Exactly. You don't need to bring much of anything.

This is my third year and, not being a city person, find the experience really unique.
Old 03-27-17, 02:49 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
If it is anything like Tour de Troit, a 30 mile mass event that happens here ever year, police will pull people without numbers off the course.

It is a closed course, it is really no different than trying to drive down the roads with a car.
Old 03-29-17, 04:28 AM
BobbyMo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What are the "bag rules"
FAQ | Bike New York

explain further how police identify out law riders
Why would I do that?

Also what if a cyclist is simply riding to work on the route.
The route is closed to traffic. That includes you and your bike if you are not a paying rider or a volunteer.

Isnt this a free country?
It hasn't been, in my opinion, for well over 100 years. But seriously, what kind of childish question is this? The tour isn't free. Anyone can be part of it next year if they pay the entrance fee or volunteer. The tour is fun; its the largest in the world and sells out in 2 days. If one doesn't like the rules, they don't have to be part of it. There are plenty of other places to go bike riding on that day.
Old 03-29-17, 04:37 AM
BobbyMo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Also, regarding volunteering, there are plenty of positions still open. These include course marshals. Course marshals are fixed position volunteer opportunities. However, once the end of the tour approaches, course marshals are free to join the tour with their bicycle. Its not for everyone. You need to be there at about 5AM; then handling crowd control duties until the ride starts. After that, you support the riders. There could be rider assist marshal positions open - not sure. There are also many rest-stop volunteer positions open (banana passers).
Old 04-19-17, 07:25 PM
drewha23

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2 tickets for sale

I purchased registration for the bike tour to ride with my friend My niece has an engagement that Saturday out of town, and I won't make it bake for the event.

Let me know if you're interested in purchasing the tickets to ride.
Old 05-02-17, 02:03 PM
Need5BoroPacket

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by drewha23
I purchased registration for the bike tour to ride with my friend My niece has an engagement that Saturday out of town, and I won't make it bake for the event.

Hello. I am interested in buying one of your packets for an extra family member going. Please contact me by replying to this post. I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 05-02-17, 02:04 PM
Need5BoroPacket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello. I am interested in buying one of your packets for an extra family member going. Please contact me by replying to this post. I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 05-02-17, 03:23 PM
neildam

Bikes: Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by drewha23

do you still have the packs for sale - i'd like to purchase the 2nd one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.