Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I need a new brain bucket!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-20, 06:28 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts

My old helmets falling apart, and I’m looking for a new skid lid. I have a long oval head, and I run warm, so something well ventilated.

I’m curious about sun protection, maybe a mountain bike helmet with a brim?

I’ve seen some helmets with face visors built in, like retractable sun glasses? Anyone have any experience with those?

My “style” is mostly old stuff, if it has a steam punk vibe that’d be fun. I know helmets always look goofy, but a helmet that knows it looks goofy and is doing it deliberately would be alright. I’d like to avoid having a “super modern aero” type look while I’m faffing around on my old timey steel touring bikes you know?

oh, budgets a hundred bucks, but less is more...

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-04-20, 09:18 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
I just got one a few weeks ago- it's a Bern.

I started a super cool thread about it: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...t-new-hat.html

But here's the important parts:

New Hat by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

I don't know if they're still on sale, or if you have REI dividends to spend or anything- it's a nice hat.. I kinda dig it.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 05-04-20, 09:32 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

FWIW- I like MTB helmets- the visor is handy in the sun AND it's handy for blocking bugs.

Also FWIW the other 2 choices it came down to for me were the Giro Fixture MIPS and the Bontrager Solstice helmets.

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 05-05-20, 12:56 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Best practical helmets I've worn are POCs. They cover more of the noggin than most lids -- lower on the skull, to the point that the brow of my Omne Air Spin is visible just above my peripheral vision. But POC emphasizes safety -- thicker EPS foam, their own variation of the MIPS type system, etc.

The Omne Air Spin is less ... mushroom head looking ... than the Octal and Ventral that are popular with hardcore roadies and some pro teams. Funny thing, the Omne, Octal and Ventral have essentially similar shells, but look very different, just because of the vents. The Octal and Ventral vents look like nothing else -- huge, rectangular windows. The Omne is more traditional looking, yet still has outstanding ventilation. I've worn it often on hot days in preference to my smaller, lighter Bell Formula MIPS -- also a very good helmet, but the ventilation isn't quite as good as the POC.

But in a traditional or classic look, the Carrera folding helmet looks like a cross between a useless 1960s hairnet and a wooden bowling ball. They look great. I wouldn't depend on one for safety.

There's another more solid vented helmet that's designed to resemble a hairnet. Came out a year or so ago. I don't recall the brand or model. I looked at it and thought it only vaguely resembled a hairnet. I wouldn't choose one based on that look. I'd rather get a helmet that offered good protection and ventilation, and pick a color that suited my preferences.

I dislike anything obscuring my peripheral vision so I don't even wear my cycling caps under my helmets. If I wear anything under the helmet it's a bandanna for sweat, or a thin knit cap in winter for warmth. I'm in the drops on my road bikes maybe 15-25% of the time, and I want to be able to "look through" my eyebrows to see the road, especially on rides with strong headwinds (basically, all spring in Texas). So even my size large POC Omne Air Spin isn't ideal. I might try an Octal or Ventral in size medium.

Regarding helmets with visors, those are usually aero helmets. The visors are usually magnetic mounts, easy to use and secure. Aero helmets tend to have poor ventilation compared with vented road helmets, but probably no worse than those Bern and Nutcase commuter/skater helmets that look like bowling balls. I have a Base Camp aero helmet with visor. Not bad for $20, but not as good as the Bell and POC. Base Camp and others also offer better vented helmets with visors. Keep in mind they usually don't have any clear or yellow tinted visors. If I'm wearing my aero helmet and ride late, I'll switch the visor to the up position, held by the magnets, and put on clear safety glasses.
Old 05-05-20, 04:02 AM
ltokuno

Bikes: Masi, Olmo, Miele, Masi, Masi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
If the skid lid isn’t comfortable you won’t want to wear it.

I’ve been using the Specialized Chamonix for awhile now, but more important is what I was looking for in a helmet.

It’s got MIPS. This is a technology to help reduce the risk of concussion. At the very least it does no harm, and at best might save my brain.

The straps don’t irritate me. It’s not the material of the straps that led me to this helmet, it’s the placement of them on my head. I tried about 15 different helmets in the under $150 category and this one put the straps where they didn’t irritate my ears or the back of my head. It’s like I don’t really know the straps are there. Several other helmets put the straps against my ears. Not good. Having straps in the right place for me was the most important thing in getting a comfortable helmet. It’s really not possible to see where they are going to land on your head in pictures.

It comes in bright day glow yellow. This is not a fashion thing, but more of a safety thing. I figure a helmet is supposed to protect you. One way it can do this is to let you be easily seen by other people. If someone drives past me and thinks “Look at that dork in the yellow helmet.” I know I’ve been seen, and they probably are not going to hit me. To me that’s much more important than their opinion of my color choices.

I’m in Arizona, and not the mild part where it only hits 105deg. In fact I’ve ridden in 115+ deg days. I’ve never been disappointed in the ventilation of my helmet. I pretty much don’t really feel it either way.

I sweat a lot, and the pads and straps clean up easy. I clean the straps with hand soap usually in the shower, and the pads I take out and clean separate. I think most helmets will be pretty easy to clean this way. It’s just another thing to think about.

All these features are probably common in good brands of helmets, but this specific helmet fits and works good for me. Most of all I think you should go try on some helmets. Not the easiest thing to do in a pandemic, but you’ll be much happier if the helmet fits and doesn't chafe.

Oh yeah, this helmet came with a sun visor, but I've never used it so am unable to comment on its effectiveness. I just use sunglasses instead.
Old 05-05-20, 05:24 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
I've been using Specialized for a long time. Now on my third after crashing with the other two. The last was a Propero, the original. With the last accident, I was in a bit of a financial bind so settled for an Echelon. Now they are $20 less than what I paid. It definitely is an insurance tool. the Chamoniz looks really nice. I would be tempted by the Tactic II for added protection.
Old 05-05-20, 08:08 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 192 Posts
I bought a Lazer Tonic about a year and a half ago. Fairly cheap, huge vents, lightish, no bill though. Excuse my COVID-19 hair in the pics. I like Lazer and Limar helmets.

Old 05-05-20, 08:13 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 192 Posts
Review

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/hel...-helmet-review

Cheap buy

https://planetcyclery.com/lazer-toni...8aAr9vEALw_wcB
Old 05-05-20, 10:06 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Helmets suck.

I don't wear one. I have several.

Helmets suck.
Likes For Bad Lag:
Old 05-05-20, 10:44 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3883 Post(s)
Liked 6,476 Times in 3,205 Posts
Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
Excuse my COVID-19 hair...

Let your freak flag fly.

And nice looking helmet. Black is beautiful.
Old 05-05-20, 10:51 AM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 487 Posts
Over the past 45 years since getting my Bell Biker I've had three crashes, one of them this year, where a helmet was destroyed and clearly protected me from severe head injury and possible death. So, safety is paramount for me. The only independent testing authority I know of for bike helmets is this one: https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicyc...t-ratings.html . There's a big difference in the protectiveness of different helmets so I buy helmets that are high up on the helmet ratings chart. Bear in mind that buying the one at the very top may not be the best idea since some of the most protective helmets are quite heavy or have poor ventilation (or are plain ugly).
Likes For davester:
Old 05-05-20, 12:10 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
I just got one a few weeks ago- it's a Bern.

I started a super cool thread about it: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...t-new-hat.html

But here's the important parts:

I don't know if they're still on sale, or if you have REI dividends to spend or anything- it's a nice hat.. I kinda dig it.
I did some internet searching and that Bern made the short list! It looked like it was on sale because they’re out of my size.
Old 05-05-20, 04:33 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Between me and the wife, we have 11 helmets. Her favorite is a Nutcase, and my favorite is a Troy Lee Designs MTB helmet. I wear them all. A lot of them are just fun. I got one with skulls. Linda has one with flowers all over it. Helmets are important to me, and I will always advocate their use.

Ten years ago, I had a serious accident with my motorcycle on the way home from work. I was in a coma for a week, and suffered TBI, which I've learned to deal with. Things changed, surely, but the thing that is a constant is the fact that if I get another bump on the noggin, I'm done. By the way, when I got into that wreck I was wearing a full face helmet and full leathers. I still had 13 broken bones.
Old 05-05-20, 06:40 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
If it fits, this is a bargain: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...pinkvisibility. It tests very well in Va. Tech's independent testing. Also, it's not light, but ... tests well, $50 ... it's acompelling value proposition.
Old 05-06-20, 06:50 PM
Bad Lag

Originally Posted by davester
Over the past 45 years since getting my Bell Biker I've had three crashes, one of them this year, where a helmet was destroyed and clearly protected me from severe head injury and possible death. So, safety is paramount for me.
Wow!, this is hard for me to understand. In the last 45 years, I've had none.

What's going on that has caused so many serious accidents? Are you mountain biking? Is it you? Is it the other guy? Some of both?

Clearly there is story behind this post, maybe even three stories.

Last edited by Bad Lag; 05-06-20 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-06-20, 07:09 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
Wow!, this is hard for me to understand. In the last 45 years, I've had none.

What's going on that has caused so many serious accidents? Are you mountain biking? Is it you? Is it the other guy? Some of both?

Clearly there is story behind this post, maybe even three stories.
Are you serious? One every 20 years or so is not terribly unusual.

1. My first serious crash about 40 years ago resulted from an out-of-control pickup truck slamming into me from behind. The police noted that I was in the bike lane and that he veered into the bike lane to take me out. Put me in the ER and totally destroyed the bike. All the helmet foam was shattered (I was catapulted forward off his front fender and landed directly on my head). Nothing much you can do about that kind of encounter.

2. My second one was only about 10 years ago...my front tire blew out as I was negotiating a hairpin turn on a steep downhill. No injuries but a huge crease in the side of my helmet from going down hard and my head hitting the curb. Again, no warning and I went down so fast there was zero chance of even thinking about what I could do.

3. Just this year I was mountain biking on a popular trail. A stick got thrown into my front wheel and jammed against the fork. I went straight over the handlebars and landed on my head. Again, no injuries, zero warning and zero chance of evasive action.

You are either lucky or don't ride that many miles. Amongst the folks I know who ride thousands of miles a year in traffic or on difficult trails, there are many similar stories, some much worse than mine.

Last edited by davester; 05-06-20 at 07:30 PM.
Old 05-06-20, 07:12 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3883 Post(s)
Liked 6,476 Times in 3,205 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Higgins
Ten years ago, I had a serious accident with my motorcycle ... 13 broken bones.
Hell, for Evel, that woulda been a successful jump.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 05-06-20, 08:01 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Originally Posted by Chr0m0ly
I did some internet searching and that Bern made the short list! It looked like it was on sale because they’re out of my size.
REI had them at the same price when they had all the sizes available- I got mine in a M for that price, plus the 20% discount plus a $36 dividend... came out to like $32.

The color is the main thing that attracted me, it wasn't until after I got it when I realized it does not go with any of my bikes or any of the stuff I usually wear when riding...

Old 05-06-20, 08:20 PM
Chr0m0ly 

There are just SO flippin many helmets...
Old 05-07-20, 12:21 AM
Bad Lag

Originally Posted by davester
Are you serious? One every 20 years or so is not terribly unusual.
Yes, I was/am serious. I've had no accidents in the last 45 years. I've had accidents when I was younger but not in the last 45 years. I ride about 1,000 miles/year (approximate average over the last 45 years). I rode more when I was younger, a lot more. These days, it is only 10-30 miles at a time for fun and exercise.

It must be my presence of mind and superior bike handling skills coupled with my superb route planning that has kept me so accident-free. <knocks on wood>

Maybe I should get my helmets out. I have a BERN and a BELL.
Old 05-07-20, 12:30 AM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 410 Posts
It only takes one good crash for you to realize how screwed you are without one.

I had a over-the-handlebars crash where I luckily took most of the impact on my arms/legs. I wasn't wearing a helmet. The next hard crash I slammed the back of my head into the ground, but this time I was wearing one. Doubtless the helmet saved me from a concussion, or possibly more sever brain trauma.
Old 05-07-20, 06:15 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
It must be my presence of mind and superior bike handling skills coupled with my superb route planning that has kept me so accident-free. <knocks on wood>
Good! Your reasoning reminds me of me at age 14 in 1965, when I was a novice bike racer. I noted that, unlike my teammates, I hadn't had a flat since I'd started riding with them. My conclusion: there are people who get flats and people who don't, and I was in the latter category.

My reasoning seemed flawless until I got my first flat, on a solo ride, 40 miles from home, with no spare sew-up.

I also believed back then that my bike handling skills and reflexes would preserve me from crashing until I overlapped the rear tire of a teammate with my front tire. Nothing there for miles except the occasional telephone pole, one of which I managed to ram into at full speed.

I believe people who say that they've never crashed. Not everyone pushes the envelope, Me, I've had three (I think) concussions in the last 55 years of racing and training, despite having learned to ride with what my younger self would have dismissed as absurdly excessive caution.
Old 05-07-20, 09:33 AM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 2,939 Times in 980 Posts
My current helmet is starting to show it's age. It's a Giro somethingorother. MIPS helmets came out right after I got it. I'm sold on the benefit of MIPS so I'm casually looking for a new one and appreciate everyone's comments. I may be wrong but I'm in the camp that believes there are diminishing returns as price points exceed $150.A big consideration for me is ventilation - I run hot and don't sweat sufficiently.

Old 05-07-20, 10:01 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by Chr0m0ly
There are just SO flippin many helmets...
I have found the various manufacturers have definite assumptions on the shape of skulls.
One really needs to try them. That written, Bell seems to fit my noggin well, a few highly regarded and expensive helmets, I could not stand, shape, strap placement, buckle configuration.
Giro is not for me, a bit curious as Giro bought Bell.... I hope they do not push design on them.
Old 05-07-20, 10:13 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
I've been reading this with interest. I bought my last helmet (Trek) back around 2010ish.... so roughly 10 years ago. Am I at the point that I should consider replacing it, or is that ok in the helmet world? It looks modern at least, not some old leather hair net.

Here is my helmet. It looks beat, but that is just tape residue from covering the vents in the winter.

Last edited by mkeller234; 05-07-20 at 10:17 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.